Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

INDIAN PRIME MINISTER TO BLAME FOR 737 CRASH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

MrChips posted:

It's still a mess, though; the way that wing is bent makes me think that Q400's future lies at the feet of MolsonCoors. The flight was Air Canada 8481, from Calgary to Grande Prairie, diverted to Edmonton. Three passengers transported to hospital with minor injuries.

Reports are that the Q400 blew a tire departing YYC (runway 35L was closed for a time after its departure), the crew knew and diverted to YEG as the crosswind was picking up in Calgary.

Tweet from a YYC terminal controller last night:

quote:

Rwy 35L in YYC closed. Rwy 02 in Yeg closed. Same airplane....

Question, would they have kept the gear down on the way up to YEG or retract it in this situation?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Bugsmasher posted:

Question, would they have kept the gear down on the way up to YEG or retract it in this situation?

Safe bet is down. I'd be afraid of a retract or extension problem if there is somehow a bunch of loose rubber in the wheel well.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Bugsmasher posted:

Reports are that the Q400 blew a tire departing YYC (runway 35L was closed for a time after its departure), the crew knew and diverted to YEG as the crosswind was picking up in Calgary.

Tweet from a YYC terminal controller last night:

Keep the gear down if there is ever a doubt that it may not drop or cause more damage internally if retracted.

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

Thanks for the answers, that was kind of what I was thinking too.

In other Canadian news, we want to buy 4 F-35's in 2017 by getting some of the USAF slots:

http://www.660news.com/2014/11/07/canada-signals-it-intends-to-buy-at-least-four-f-35s-by-2017-pentagon-briefing/

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Welp, just seen the (confidential) pictures of that Q400...
Window seat next to the prop? No thanks, I'll walk.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Linedance posted:

Welp, just seen the (confidential) pictures of that Q400...
Window seat next to the prop? No thanks, I'll walk.

Different incident, but :stare:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/flight-international/2009/02/corroded-gear-behind-first-sas/

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I try to avoid seats in line with where I can guess the turbine discs are, and I would apply that principle to a turboprop engine too :stare:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Huh, turns out similar circumstances result in nearly identical failure modes! :eng99:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Old video and probably a re-post, but I just came across this and thought I'd toss it up. Bf109E-4 restored to flying condition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzUUlO6ihwE Music is ehh, but that engine sounds drat nice.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Linedance I just saw some up-close pictures of GGBF...holy poo poo I can't believe someone didn't die in those seats by the prop.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

MrChips posted:

Linedance I just saw some up-close pictures of GGBF...holy poo poo I can't believe someone didn't die in those seats by the prop.

I found some pics and yeah, :stonk: Perhaps the flight crew evacuated those seats prior to landing? Logical step if you're worried about gear problems in that aircraft.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

:stonk: fuuuuuuck that noise

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

BobHoward posted:

I found some pics and yeah, :stonk: Perhaps the flight crew evacuated those seats prior to landing? Logical step if you're worried about gear problems in that aircraft.

The spot where the blade hit is actually the thickest part of the fuselage skin, since there's an extra layer of metal attached to the fuselage in line with the propeller blades to absorb impacts from ice getting flung off the prop blades.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

azflyboy posted:

The spot where the blade hit is actually the thickest part of the fuselage skin, since there's an extra layer of metal attached to the fuselage in line with the propeller blades to absorb impacts from ice getting flung off the prop blades.

Shame it went through the window then.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BobHoward posted:

So I'm hearing that yes, it is actually part of the crew procedure to move people out of those seats if they know they have landing gear problems. So that's good.

-edit- but I guess according to the news that didn't happen, as they didn't suspect there was a problem with the gear (just a blown tire)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 10, 2014

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
Yeah, count me as one of those who'll forever be nervous as hell if I'm ever seated inline with a prop in the future. Don't care about the stats, the pictures are nightmare fuel. Just how lucky does a person have to be to take a prop to the back of the head and walk away with a bruise?!

quote:

A woman is lucky to be alive after she was struck in the head by a propeller blade that came crashing through her window during a domestic flight in Canada.

Christine Kurylo was sitting in row seven when she felt a massive blow from behind.

Fellow passenger and radio station co-worker Melissa Menard's photograph shows just how lucky Ms Kurylo was to survive.

“All of a sudden, something came crashing through my window and I got hit in the head,” Ms Kurylo told CTV Edmonton.

The “something” was a propeller blade slicing through the body of the plane and smacking into the back of her head. The impact sent her glasses flying off her face and left her bruised, covered in fibreglass and seeing stars.

The aftermath: The propeller can be seen lodged in the cabin after the emergency landing.

The incident, which happened at about 8.30pm last Thursday, forced the Jazz Aviation Bombardier Q-400 aircraft to make an emergency landing at Edmonton International Airport. Pictures of the damaged plane did not emerge until yesterday amid accusations the airline company was trying to play down the near-tragedy.

Ms Kurylo’s co-worker and fellow plane passenger, Melissa Menard, posted photographs of the wreckage to her Facebook account so show they experienced more than just a “rough landing” that night.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

EightBit posted:

I try to avoid seats in line with where I can guess the turbine discs are, and I would apply that principle to a turboprop engine too :stare:

I think it was in this thread someone talked about that turbine failure on a trijet (IIRC) where the result ended up killing several members of the same family in line with the discs. Ever since that post I pretty much always think about my seats relative to the engines now, even if that risk is pretty miniscule.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

News posted:

The incident, which happened at about 8.30pm last Thursday, forced the Jazz Aviation Bombardier Q-400 aircraft to make an emergency landing at Edmonton International Airport. Pictures of the damaged plane did not emerge until yesterday amid accusations the airline company was trying to play down the near-tragedy.

Yup, because we all know the sensible and prudent course of action when something like this happens is first to run to the media half-cocked with no information, and only once they've had their fill of speculation and hearsay, then conduct a thorough investigation.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Mazz posted:

I think it was in this thread someone talked about that turbine failure on a trijet (IIRC) where the result ended up killing several members of the same family in line with the discs. Ever since that post I pretty much always think about my seats relative to the engines now, even if that risk is pretty miniscule.
From memory I don't think something exactly like this has ever happened, but you could be thinking of National 27. The flight crew of a DC-10 was experimenting with their fancy new autothrottle system until engine #1 exploded, and one passenger was sucked out of a broken window. There were other uncontained engine failures which were fatal to people on board, another one you might be thinking of was actually an MD-80: Delta 1288. Here most of the people injured were part of the same family and seated in the same row.

Seconding not wanting to sit in line with the engine hot section or propeller disk, by the way. One fragment of the exploded turbine wheel on the Qantas A380 only missed the upper cabin by several meters after passing through the front main wing spar.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Linedance posted:

Yup, because we all know the sensible and prudent course of action when something like this happens is first to run to the media half-cocked with no information, and only once they've had their fill of speculation and hearsay, then conduct a thorough investigation.

OTOH If I got hit in the head with a propeller blade, and it was being reported as a "rough landing", I sure would go to the press.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
http://vimeo.com/99490998

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

Fun.
http://vimeo.com/107448259

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I don't remember that approach from MS Flight Simulator.

(holy poo poo)

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Tsuru posted:

From memory I don't think something exactly like this has ever happened, but you could be thinking of National 27. The flight crew of a DC-10 was experimenting with their fancy new autothrottle system until engine #1 exploded, and one passenger was sucked out of a broken window. There were other uncontained engine failures which were fatal to people on board, another one you might be thinking of was actually an MD-80: Delta 1288. Here most of the people injured were part of the same family and seated in the same row.

Seconding not wanting to sit in line with the engine hot section or propeller disk, by the way. One fragment of the exploded turbine wheel on the Qantas A380 only missed the upper cabin by several meters after passing through the front main wing spar.

Yep, it was that MD-80. I was really hazy on the specifics, I just remember the engine failure was towards the rear of the aircraft.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

You are required to maneuver straight down this trench and skim the surface to this point. The target area is only two meters wide.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I was half expecting to hear a "WHUMP" and be all "See Bambi that's why you stay out of the fuckin' meadow"

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Naturally Selected posted:

Old video and probably a re-post, but I just came across this and thought I'd toss it up. Bf109E-4 restored to flying condition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzUUlO6ihwE Music is ehh, but that engine sounds drat nice.

No wonder those things were bastards on the ground - that gear geometry is scary and the thing has no rudder on it. That tail looks way too small.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
This is one of my favorite little details about the Pred/Reaper.

And yes, the thing about birds stealing it is completely true.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

charliemonster42 posted:

No wonder those things were bastards on the ground - that gear geometry is scary and the thing has no rudder on it. That tail looks way too small.

They did it that way almost entirely, iirc, so that they could pull the wings off for maintenance and leave the fuselage on its undercarriage without special jacks. Hence why the struts are cocked way out to get the track as wide as possible

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

iyaayas01 posted:

This is one of my favorite little details about the Pred/Reaper.

And yes, the thing about birds stealing it is completely true.

Neat!

(But why does it have to be horse hair and not any other type of string that's not subject to this type of problem?)

This got me thinking about other low-tech solutions to problems, and I thought of the standby compass on the MD-80. By the time its place was to be designated on the instrument panel, there was no more room. So what did they do? Put it on the back wall of the cockpit, and put a mirror on the panel to look at it through!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Naturally Selected posted:

I love that video. That plane is one hell of a beauty. :allears:

And don't you shittalk Daft Punk. :colbert:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

vessbot posted:

Neat!

(But why does it have to be horse hair and not any other type of string that's not subject to this type of problem?)

because it isn't horsehair, it's exactly what you described.

quote:

That’s right. Horsehair. Or a close approximation of it, anyway.

Your mirror-compass factoid is cool though!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
How about another one... I saw a talk at Oshkosh by the chief pilot of the program that does zero-G flights for scientific experiments at the Canadian Space Agency. He said that over the decades that they've done it, they've spent countless thousands of dollars on developing displays/indicators to help the pilot fly the ballistic profile more precisely, but to date, nothing has beat an eraser hanging off a string.

(Also, the stiffness of the string is enough to affect the eraser... so for example, fishing line does not work week. I think I remember he said floss is good.)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

The U-2, like its distant sailplane cousins, also uses a yaw string.

Another simple solution I've come to know is from the Hawker 125 family. Instead of a light to indicate the nose gear is down and locked, there is a little rod in the cockpit connected to the down lock that pops into view only when the gear is down and properly locked.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Behold, a low-flying Apache that doesn't get hung up on the trees! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIO9cXRhzoU

Of course let's be fair, there aren't any trees out there. Looks like they were trolling some people who went out shooting. :q:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I wonder how much of that brush kicked up is/were rattlesnakes flung all over hell and gone by the rotor wash?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Low and Slow, that is our tempo. Around KPGA, anyway. Crossposted some more pics and possibly video over at the Aviation Megathread.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

DeusExMachinima posted:

Behold, a low-flying Apache that doesn't get hung up on the trees! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIO9cXRhzoU

Of course let's be fair, there aren't any trees out there. Looks like they were trolling some people who went out shooting. :q:

I thought the Army had learned their lesson about low-level Apache operations in desert climates around locals with small-arms and cell phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

They were probably doing training with the FLIR so they can recognize "man carrying a gun".