Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Teek posted:

So Amy and Rory just exploded over Manhattan, right?

I'm pretty sure Rory was too busy using the fact that he's now got metal fists to go back and punch Hitler even harder. The problem being that Hitler's now got a metal skull to match so it pretty much just devolves into Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Clara is probably pregnant. Personally I'm glad his character is done with. What an abysmal actor and attempt to write a relationship.

I thought it felt more believable than Amy and Rory though. Their writing never really sold me on them being in love very well either.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Stabbatical posted:

I thought it felt more believable than Amy and Rory though. Their writing never really sold me on them being in love very well either.

I didn't buy them as a couple either, maybe two best friends who had mistaken their bond for love.

The problem with Danny and Clara was that the intelligence of everyone in the run dropped whenever they spoke. I mean, who the gently caress constantly jokes about soldiers being killers or speaks in flowerly comforting language every time their girlfriend lies to them? What about the time they spoke on the phone while Clara was being attacked by the boneless? Come the gently caress on.

Also, this entire story arc seemed designed to have the emotional pay-off be that the woman was never good enough because she didn't want to settle down and stop having adventures so she had to lie about it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Captain Fargle posted:

I'm pretty sure Rory was too busy using the fact that he's now got metal fists to go back and punch Hitler even harder. The problem being that Hitler's now got a metal skull to match so it pretty much just devolves into Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em Robots.

Oh my god.

Make it happen Moffat, hes even got the handles.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So we found out what happened to Dodo, anyway: she became a funeral director!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

How many darkest blackest kind-of-lovely days has the Doctor had now under Moffat?

I guess it's his version of "something is coming through the darkness."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I only liked two things about this episode.

One was that no one called the Master missy or something dumb like that.

Two was that CyberBrig finally got to shoot the Master in the face. He's been after that fucker for decades.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Burkion posted:

Two was that CyberBrig finally got to shoot the Master in the face. He's been after that fucker for decades.

I liked a few bits from the Master. The performance was good.

CyberBrig was poo poo though. Just nonsense. To anyone whose not familiar with the classic series it's basically gibberish and, honestly, I just found it kind of pointless and a little crass. It was trying so hard to make me feel something, anything, that the manipulation made me numb to it all.

I'm sure DoctorWhat cried.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Bits of this really seemed to blur the line between "Cybermen aren't human so it's fine when the Doctor kills a bunch" and "Cybermen are still the people they were!", which made me quite uncomfortable as someone who thinks about this sort of thing more than you're supposed to. Like, if Cyber!Brig still has that level of autonomy, do any of the others? If they do, doesn't that make them human still, and Danny the biggest mass murderer who ever lived?

Anyway, it sucks that Osgood died; I wanted her to recur wearing steadily more ridiculous things.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm more sad that the best incarnation of The Master was killed by an Iron Man knockoff, though like Davros, she'll be back, or she'd better if Moffat knows what's good for him!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I was getting more of an Iron Giant vibe than an Iron Man one at the end.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

I didn't buy them as a couple either, maybe two best friends who had mistaken their bond for love.

The problem with Danny and Clara was that the intelligence of everyone in the run dropped whenever they spoke. I mean, who the gently caress constantly jokes about soldiers being killers or speaks in flowerly comforting language every time their girlfriend lies to them? What about the time they spoke on the phone while Clara was being attacked by the boneless? Come the gently caress on.

Also, this entire story arc seemed designed to have the emotional pay-off be that the woman was never good enough because she didn't want to settle down and stop having adventures so she had to lie about it.

I just thought that they were a highly mismatched couple, like Mickey and Rose were. I bought that they were in love, just not the kind of deep affection that Clara confessed to at the start of Dark Water. I thought her sense of loss/desperation/nihilism from the lava scene was well done though.

To be honest, Clara's arc this time reminded me of Rose's (initial) first two series arc a lot. Slowly becoming more like her Doctor and relating less to normal people, and all that.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That was kind of generally enjoyable but completely nonsensical.

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm more sad that the best incarnation of The Master was killed by an Iron Man knockoff, though like Davros, she'll be back, or she'd better if Moffat knows what's good for him!

The Master has been killed more convincingly than that and come back as the same incarnation.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
The Moon being an egg that hatches a space dragon that lays an egg bigger than itself, glowing tree spirit flies that can make a forest grow overnight, overfill the atmosphere with oxygen without harm to the animal life, and then dissolve into glowing dust, and now "Cyber Pollen" that even the smallest mote can seep into graves and convert the dead.

I've accepted that Doctor Who was never really keen on being serious science fiction, but this is almost "anti-science" in how it dresses up random magic with a few vaguely science-like buzz words.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

PriorMarcus posted:

CyberBrig was poo poo though. Just nonsense. To anyone whose not familiar with the classic series it's basically gibberish and, honestly, I just found it kind of pointless and a little crass. It was trying so hard to make me feel something, anything, that the manipulation made me numb to it all.

I rewatched that scene and Capaldi really does amazingly in selling the moment, possibly my favourite bit of him so far.

And then the Cybermen goes flying off like a Roman candle.

You really couldn't make it up.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Doesn't the cyber-pollen still need to be controlled to start Cybermanning everything? Each molecule has got the plans for a cyber conversion, but it sounded like they're basically just blueprints. They still need a control signal or something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PriorMarcus posted:

To anyone whose not familiar with the classic series it's basically gibberish

The revival has been full of multiple references to the Brigadier explaining who he was and what his relationship to the Doctor was. A viewer would either have to be willfully ignoring all that or have chosen this final episode of season 8 as their first ever episode to watch to not know who he was.

That said, I absolutely agree it was emotionally manipulative and more than a little crass. But I also think it was done with the best of intentions and to further hammer home the Danny notion that a Cyberman is still capable of being more man (or woman) than cyber. That doesn't entirely excuse it, but I didn't get the sense that it was a cold or cynical bit of fan-referencing - the Brigadier basically reached across the barrier of death to rescue his daughter and to FINALLY pump one round rapid into the Master. :shobon:

malk83
Sep 3, 2008

So, just to clarify - every corpse on planet Earth has just been turned into a robot, and then exploded.
Then, Santa Claus shows up in the Tardis.

What?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Burkion posted:

So you weren't really paying attention then.

Firstly Osgood called her Missy at one point.

Secondly, there were a lot more than two things to like about this episode, so my guess is you probably weren't paying attention.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Capaldi did well in that scene, but having the cyberbrig be a thing at all was just an amazingly cheap attempt to get some emotion. And yes, not helped by him flying off in a really silly way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rochallor posted:

Doesn't the cyber-pollen still need to be controlled to start Cybermanning everything? Each molecule has got the plans for a cyber conversion, but it sounded like they're basically just blueprints. They still need a control signal or something.

Yeah, hence the use of some traditional Cybermen with actual brains inside, but ones that had their personalities voluntarily erased in the nethersphere - the vast majority of the Cybermen who rose from the dead would just be bones making up the chewy center of a Cyberbody, all controlled by a signal from the bracelet.

I think that may also have been a secondary point of the CyberBrig, to point out that despite all the Master's planning and the Doctor's assertions there was no such place as an afterlife, that - like Dickens quoted - there is more in heaven and earth than is dreamed of in his philosophy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

malk83 posted:

So, just to clarify - every corpse on planet Earth has just been turned into a robot, and then exploded.

What?

Hey, in The End of Time every corpse on planet Earth was turned into a corpse of the Master!

Then Matt Smith showed up in the TARDIS :)

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

SimplyCosmic posted:

this is almost "anti-science" in how it dresses up random magic with a few vaguely science-like buzz words.

"After all, it's an adventure story, not a scientific documentary. And Dr. Who isn't a scientist. He's a wizard." - William Hartnell

Nexa
Apr 1, 2010

malk83 posted:

What?

They turned The Master into an amazing sci-fi necromancer, who came up with a full-proof plan to dominate the universe, which not only worked a bit but absolutely succeeded. Then we had this weird body horror thing where all the dead on planet Earth exploded, followed then by the unhappiest, yet most bittersweet ending *ever*, when mystical "not-in-the-afterlife-I-think, Danny" spoke to Clara one last time.

Then Santa Claus shows up in the Tardis.

I join you in your question.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I think that may also have been a secondary point of the CyberBrig, to point out that despite all the Master's planning and the Doctor's assertions there was no such place as an afterlife, that - like Dickens quoted - there is more in heaven and earth than is dreamed of in his philosophy.

Hey, we don't know that! In my head there is an afterlife in the Doctor Who Universe, but everyone there is a Cyberman who suspects the whole thing's a scam.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My reaction was pretty much,"Santa Claus? Well that's just siHOLY poo poo IT'S NICK FROST! :neckbeard:"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BSam posted:

So you weren't really paying attention then.

Firstly Osgood called her Missy at one point.

Secondly, there were a lot more than two things to like about this episode, so my guess is you probably weren't paying attention.

I'm trying to give the episode *ANYTHING* that wasn't just praising the Master for being a good actress.

So don't force my hand on this. That's as far as I go, the rest was utter shite.

Part of that comes from the fact that I am the biggest Cyberman fan, so to have them be so demoted to these literally NOT being the Cybermen but the Master's knockoff off brand versions, honestly I don't know HOW to feel about that.

On one hand, yay, cybermen don't play second fiddle to the Master.

On the other, woo, Cybermen have been reduced to play toys by the Master. loving great.

All I know is that if CyberBrig and Rusty The Dalek don't team up and join the Doctor later as companions, I will be pissed off.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Psybro posted:

I'm going to struggle to rewatch Day of the Doctor in the future unless Father Christmas Nick Frost brings Osgood back to life, that poo poo was spiteful to feed a villain who you write out in twenty minutes' time.

I don't have any real affection for the character but it is a really lazy writer's trick, killing off a liked character just to make the audience hate your bad guy more. It was more annoying when Brig's daughter got thrown out of the plane presumably to her death two minutes later, and I'm thankful that one didn't stick.

If he wanted to kill off recurring characters he should've set it a hundred years ago and killed the annoying lizard woman and her gaggle of arseholes.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
The Clara Oswald show is finally over, thank gently caress.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Noxville posted:

I don't have any real affection for the character but it is a really lazy writer's trick, killing off a liked character just to make the audience hate your bad guy more.

MICHELLE GOMEZ: "I can't wait until this episode is over so I can get the Hell out of [viewer's hometown name] and never see another one of you hillbilly rednecks again!"

OFFSCREEN VIEWERS: "BOOOOOOOO!"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I can't be bothered to think about it too hard because I'm becoming more irked by this episode as time passes, but was this another case of the Twelfth Doctor being essentially useless? Like, to the point of even saying 'I'm useless, I'm going to let the PE teacher sort this one out'?

I know we all got sick of the grandstanding, but drat, what a passive Doctor.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Swan Curry posted:

You mean until Christmas, right?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Man, if you didn't like Andrew Scott schticky Moriarty on Sherlock, it's hard to get through the new Master.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Swan Curry posted:

HahahahahahahahaHoHoHohahahaha!

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Yannick_B posted:

Man, if you didn't like Andrew Scott schticky Moriarty on Sherlock, it's hard to get through the new Master.

Which was basically a re-do of RTD's Master from Last of the Time lords.

I enjoy that type of ham villain though, so I don't mind any of those characters. I wish The Master had a slightly more original motivation than "I did this to show you that you're just like me".

In fact I think the 'Is The Doctor just as bad as the bad guys?' is a bit played out right now. Maybe that can get left on the shelf for a few years.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Also The Clara Oswald Show is the furthest the show has gotten in recent years from being an other season of The Doctor and Moffat Female Template

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

How many darkest blackest kind-of-lovely days has the Doctor had now under Moffat?

I guess it's his version of "something is coming through the darkness."
Did the teaser for these episodes have a nursery rhyme in them? Its only the blackest, darkest day if it has a nursery rhyme in the trailer.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
It's a shame they feel the need to wrap up every Master finale with offing him/her. Was it really necessary? Even if you don't plan on having them be a big baddie in the next season, does that last second "oh by the way, zap you dead gurl" really have any different impact than "oh poo poo, she got away."

Boy oh boy do I hope they get her back sometime soon though. The lady playing her is perfect.

On the plus side: Gallifrey! Maybe he'll go looking for it next season? Probably not.

Also, Danny stays dead!

Excited for St.Nick.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Well on the bright side, skarosa was a total fakeout and this had nothing to do with daleks! :toot:

Fun times with literally Santa to come on Christmas, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Stabbatical posted:

Which was basically a re-do of RTD's Master from Last of the Time lords.

I enjoy that type of ham villain though, so I don't mind any of those characters. I wish The Master had a slightly more original motivation than "I did this to show you that you're just like me".

In fact I think the 'Is The Doctor just as bad as the bad guys?' is a bit played out right now. Maybe that can get left on the shelf for a few years.

Maybe--and I'm not saying John Simm didnt do schtick but it went down better for me than it ever did from Andrew Scott or Michelle Gomez. The whole "we're the same" is tired but having it happen on his birthday is a good idea (I thought Gomez was pretty good in that scene though).

It's weird how ol'puzzle-box Moffat took on my least-favorite RTD attribute in this 2-parter: revealing important info/twists right in the scene without setting them up.

"Is The Doctor bad??" can go right on the shelf for years as well. It's just tired at this point.

• Locked thread