Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Haha, wow, I spent SO loving LONG trying to get Dark Boy in the original BoI (it was the last thing I needed for plat god), and in this one, I'm just doing a routine Azazel run and it pops up. "Wait, I didn't get hit at all? ... Oh yeah, I guess I didn't!" I don't know if the lesson here is that Azazel is broken as gently caress or what, but I'm just glad that's one achievement that I'll never have to try for. Mama's Boy and whatever the Afterlife no-hitter achievements are will be a bitch, though.

On an unrelated note, I love when you encounter a devil room full of red chests, open one of them, and get teleported... to the devil room that you are already in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
WELP, figured out what the D4 does

Rechargable use item that rerolls all your items! I just started an Eve run and it gave me that and Dark Bum first thing. Goodbye little buddy, I hardly knew ye :(

Also it shows every item you've had on your esc screen, if if you've changed them and dont have them any more. Apparently its super easy to unlock too, just keep blowing up vending machines

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 8, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Anyone else not having unlocks trigger? I've beaten Mega Satan with Cain, the Cathedral with Judas and Mom's Heart with ??? but I've not gotten anything for it. Same oddity happened with Dark Boy. I unlocked it in game but no Steam achievement.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

EvilMike posted:

It isn't really a huge luck factor if you're good, since you can practically guarantee them spawning if you take no damage on a floor, skip devil rooms and dont pick up items that give "evil up". I have a feeling that even entering devil rooms decreases the odds of angel rooms, I'm not certain though.

The run I just did started with me getting the goat head from a devil room, followed by like 4 or 5 angel rooms. I'm guessing this 'faith' stat is what does it, and getting my first angel item bumped me up enough that the majority of post-boss rooms were angel rooms with the occasional devil room mixed in.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Tracula posted:

Anyone else not having unlocks trigger? I've beaten Mega Satan with Cain, the Cathedral with Judas and Mom's Heart with ??? but I've not gotten anything for it. Same oddity happened with Dark Boy. I unlocked it in game but no Steam achievement.

Mega Satan doesn't unlock poo poo.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Slime posted:

The run I just did started with me getting the goat head from a devil room, followed by like 4 or 5 angel rooms. I'm guessing this 'faith' stat is what does it, and getting my first angel item bumped me up enough that the majority of post-boss rooms were angel rooms with the occasional devil room mixed in.

I thought angel rooms never happened if you made with a deal with a devil, and buying the goat head would do that, wouldn't it?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Are there any achievements tied to win streaks? I currently have a 10-win streak, but I wanna try the challenge runs and know that I'll be throwing the streak away.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
cricket's body+the parasite+rubber bullets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnVQhjp_edg

:supaburn:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well if anyone wants to see how horrifically broken quad shot ipecac + the heal from explosions item is, you get all of them by the 4th floor I think it was with mutant spider being in one of the blue arenas, L6FM M8E2.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 8, 2014

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Is Epic Fetus an unlock item? I haven't seen it once, despite seeing the regular Fetus in a Jar.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Wolpertinger posted:

I thought angel rooms never happened if you made with a deal with a devil, and buying the goat head would do that, wouldn't it?

Nah I've gotten an Angel room with Goat head. Goat head seems to guarantee a Devil or Angel room, not just Devil rooms.

Also about not getting one after taking a deal with the devil, it's possible that taking a deal just gives you a shitton of sin and it's possible to get enough faith afterwards to get an Angel room.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

HellCopter posted:

Is Epic Fetus an unlock item? I haven't seen it once, despite seeing the regular Fetus in a Jar.

I think it was the reward for one of the challenges, but I can't remember which one it was the family man challenge, #19.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 9, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
To anyone using the beta that lets you run the game on lovely computers - in my experience the game runs much more smoothly in windowed mode than in fullscreen mode.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

If anyone wants a fun seed, WBBD QDY3 is a Maggy game I'm playing now with a Holy Mantle + Death's Scythe + Goat's Head + Tammy's Head + 3 Dollar Bill, you get to pee a circle of yellow scythes all at once and stuff.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Your Computer posted:

Hate him so incredibly much. I might just not have figured it out yet, but it seems like you're more or less bound to take damage when he decides to fire his brimstone. He has a curved brimstone. Curved. Brimstone. (Actually I'm pretty sure it's homing, as hosed up as that sounds)
It's okay, I didn't want those hearts anyway :negative:

When it comes to The Adversary, you will never get hit by his curved brimstone as long as you just keep moving around him. Seriously, every time I've fought him I just move in quarter circle or half circle patterns around him while shooting him and the one time I've been hit by his brimstone is because I was trying to face ram him with an orbital and a bad time. In general, moving around him constantly and dealing with the spiders efficiently should mean he'll never touch you.

Now, when he shows up later on with friends, that might be trickier.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Anyone else find Dingle to be an early run-killer? His shots after he summons the little chocolate drop guys come out way too fast, and he seems to be able to go directly into a triple dash right after that.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Anyone else find Dingle to be an early run-killer? His shots after he summons the little chocolate drop guys come out way too fast, and he seems to be able to go directly into a triple dash right after that.

The best strategy I found for him is to leave any poops intact in the room and hide behind one as soon as he starts dashing. He'll bounce off of it and once he gets winded you'll get some free hits.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Wolpertinger posted:

You can get it from red chests.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
If you want a sample of how hilarious/stupid/broken some combos are, do yourself a favor and unlock the D4, then get and use it an entire run.

e: just rerolled into max damage quad homing Fetus

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 9, 2014

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i managed to get spirit of the night, devil bum, gimp mask, soul converter (yaaay turning all those soul hearts into heart containers) and a whole other bunch of crazy poo poo on a cain run. I had the humble bundle thing so every time a heart dropped it was 2 hearts so my little devil bro was making GBS threads out soul hearts like crazy that I could turn into permenant heart containers.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Just rerolled my first Ludovico (wasn't as good as I was imagining), and I ended up with Technology+Parasite+Homing+Poison+Fire (possibly plus triple shot), which isn't so great against bosses but is an utter poo poo-wrecker against regular enemies. Fun to watch, too. Multiple green beams just ripping through all the enemies on screen at once, and giving them a shitload of status effects.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
So I'm considering buying this game but I heard somewhere that it's absolutely poo poo with keyboard controls. Is that true in any way?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Are the stats bars in the pause menu just approximations? Like, is there a 3.5 damage or something, or is a 3 always the same exact 3?

NoUU
Mar 8, 2013

something posted:

So I'm considering buying this game but I heard somewhere that it's absolutely poo poo with keyboard controls. Is that true in any way?

No, keyboard is fine, I put 300 hours into the original with a keyboard. Controller just feels better because of analog movement.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

drunken officeparty posted:

Are the stats bars in the pause menu just approximations? Like, is there a 3.5 damage or something, or is a 3 always the same exact 3?

It's possible they may be. I picked up 5-6 damage ups and it only registered 4 of them. That, or it's another thing that needs fixing.

something posted:

Nope, perfectly playable with keyboard, as most of us with 100+ hours in the last game can attest.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

something posted:

gently caress no. I like keyboard way more than controller.

drunken officeparty posted:

They were in the first game and they almost certainly are in this one as well. Lots of things gave and probably still gives weird numbers, like +0.7 of a stat.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

the little chocolate drop guys

:allears:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

^^^ Also, Nthing that keyboard controls are perfectly fine.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's possible they may be. I picked up 5-6 damage ups and it only registered 4 of them. That, or it's another thing that needs fixing.

The stats are deliberately abstracted, Edmund doesn't want people to be able to (easily) do the math on how upgrades work.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Okay, so Range Ups do increase Azarel's range, just very slightly. On this last run I got a bunch of Range Up pills with him and there was a noticeable difference, though by the end he was still only going about 1/3 of the screen with his shot.

Also, getting the Three Dollar Bill with Azarel is quite an adventure. Sometimes the wheel lands on homing shots, in which case "Surprise! You Win!"

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

NoUU posted:

No, keyboard is fine, I put 300 hours into the original with a keyboard. Controller just feels better because of analog movement.

Co-signing this, I got to platinum god exclusively using keyboard controls on the original and things are across the board improved. Stuff like not standing in place and posing when you pick up a card/item while in a room with monsters is a godsend.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
So I figured out a bit more about how the D4 works. It only rerolls some of your items, I suspect a random amount, randomly. It does this with the ENTIRE item pool, including things you haven't even unlocked yet. For a some items you keep the benefit, for example I rerolled into the 99 bombs item and kept all the bombs thereafter. I also got the items to become lord of the flies, and even after rerolling them I'm still flying.

My quad shot homing max damage Fetus is now quad shot homing Mom's Knife. Seriously you guys why do only 0.3% of people have this unlocked, its super easy to unlock and such fun.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

The basement is really candy land, there are little piles of fudge everywhere, and the enemies are spitting cherry soda at him.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Pulling the trigger and buying it then. Thanks guys!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

something posted:

There are some launch issues as with any game released these days. SOME keyboards don't play well with BOI:R right now, you may want to look it up.

In other news, the High Brow challenge is one of the times you want Explosive Thoughts no question asked. It inherits the poopy-bombs screen-wide stun, which also does a tick of damage too.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
PSA: Technology does NOT combine with Chocolate Milk in the way that you want it to, i.e. give you a pseudo-brimstone. I picked that combo up earlier and it made my shot speed just super slow (though still doing more damage per shot than tech lasers normally do).

However, it ended up being worth it in the end. I picked up a Cricket's Head later, and then finally a Screw, which seemed to unlock my shot speed back to what you would expect from Technology. But all the damage items combined so it was doing insane damage per shot. Definitely one of the most powerful combos I've had so far.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Logan 5 posted:

So I figured out a bit more about how the D4 works. It only rerolls some of your items, I suspect a random amount, randomly. It does this with the ENTIRE item pool, including things you haven't even unlocked yet. For a some items you keep the benefit, for example I rerolled into the 99 bombs item and kept all the bombs thereafter. I also got the items to become lord of the flies, and even after rerolling them I'm still flying.

My quad shot homing max damage Fetus is now quad shot homing Mom's Knife. Seriously you guys why do only 0.3% of people have this unlocked, its super easy to unlock and such fun.

Does it count gambling machines you blow up with bombs, or just the ones you blow up by gambling at them too long? Or am I completely misunderstanding how to unlock it?

Runcible Spoon
Sep 20, 2012
Holy poo poo, the dreaded Eve run just got trivialized by one of those hilariously broken item combos.

Lucky Rock (every rock drops a penny) + Magic Fingers + Pyro = literally nothing standing up to me just hammering the spacebar in each room and destroying everything in the Womb in about five seconds.

I really hope my Magdalene run gets something equally good, but I know it probably won't. :smith:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Btw if anyone's interested in reading about and or participating in the hunt for the ultra secrets of the game, this thread seems like a good resource.

People have figured out how to get The Lost by using cheat tables, but it looks like no one has figured out how to do it legit yet. It's a floating little ghost, it looks like it may come with built in flying but I haven't seen any confirmation of that yet. Just visually it doesn't have legs. Apparently it's similar to Blue but only starts with ONE soul heart, and its max Soul Heart count might be restricted heavily.

Runcible Spoon posted:

Holy poo poo, the dreaded Eve run just got trivialized by one of those hilariously broken item combos.

Lucky Rock (every rock drops a penny) + Magic Fingers + Pyro = literally nothing standing up to me just hammering the spacebar in each room and destroying everything in the Womb in about five seconds.

I really hope my Magdalene run gets something equally good, but I know it probably won't. :smith:

Eve owns yo. Just trade away your heart containers so you max at one heart and then crush the world with your like +3 damage and speed from Whore of Babylon. Seriously that item is so strong. It's like playing Judas except with significantly better stats in exchange for Book of Belial. Eve is legit one of my favorite characters, just get her down to one or zero max health and play her like you'd play Blue.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Magres posted:

Btw if anyone's interested in reading about and or participating in the hunt for the ultra secrets of the game, this thread seems like a good resource.

People have figured out how to get The Lost by using cheat tables, but it looks like no one has figured out how to do it legit yet. It's a floating little ghost, it looks like it may come with built in flying but I haven't seen any confirmation of that yet. Just visually it doesn't have legs. Apparently it's similar to Blue but only starts with ONE soul heart, and its max Soul Heart count might be restricted heavily.

I can confirm that he does start with flying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Does it count gambling machines you blow up with bombs, or just the ones you blow up by gambling at them too long? Or am I completely misunderstanding how to unlock it?

Pretty sure its an vending machines you blow up with bombs, as far as I can tell.