Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

PriorMarcus posted:

Kate is pretty two dimensional

Well she did fall out of a plane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So how does Orson Pink exist? Is Clara pregnant then?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm sure DoctorWhat cried.

Nope, that was a goddamn abomination. As was Osgood's death. Both of them absolutely awful creative decisions that Were Not loving Worth It. Bad taste all around.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Croatoan posted:

So how does Orson Pink exist? Is Clara pregnant then?

Because continuity is a pain in the rear end.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

GOOD poo poo THO:

SANTA CLAUS GETS MAD AT THE SAD ENDING, PAUSES iPLAYER, AND KNOCKS OPEN THE TARDIS DOORS TO GIVE DOCTOR WHO A PIECE OF HIS MIND

WHILE BEING PLAYED BY NICK FROST

THIS IS THE GOOD poo poo

YOU'RE MY NEW BEST FRIEND

also Missy HAD BETTER PULL A PLANET-OF-FIRE, MOFFAT!!!

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 9, 2014

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I've only just started watching and hahahahaha dramatic drainpipe shots

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

well that was dumb as hell

it had so much potential as well

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That was an interesting finale, but I didn't like it. I'm not sure why, I guess it made me feel miserable? Whatever, new series, new companion, no more Clara and Danny. Good.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Stabbatical posted:

But this follows the tradition of RTD's bullshit finales pretty well though... :confused:
Yeah this seemed a lot like an RTD finale with more horror. It's a shame this episode was such a mess because Dark Water was a pretty good setup.

I think I'm ok with Santa ex Machina though

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Doctor Who = Spaced reunion

I have zero problem with that. Throw in a Black Books reunion while you're at it.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Doctor Who Season 8 Companions:

Cyberman Brig
Rusty
Santa Claus

Psybro
May 12, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

also Missy HAD BETTER PULL A PLANET-OF-FIRE, MOFFAT!!!

"So you escaped from the bad episode?"
"[smug look]"

I bet all the kids are looking forward to seeing Santa, in no way having been traumatised by the bleak and morbid experience they have just undergone.

also Revelation of the Daleks did it better (nb it probably didn't)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Crosspeice posted:

no more Clara

Unfortunately not confirmed yet.

I hope so, though (I liked Clara but this really is the best way to end her story,) but I think the BBC has said she's in the Christmas special at least.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Why kill the Master though, at first I thought she'd teleported or something but no... gently caress the brigadier

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I demand a Smash Bros-style "CHALLENGER APPROACHING" edit for Santa Claus.

Looke posted:

Why kill the Master though, at first I thought she'd teleported or something but no... gently caress the brigadier

You think she's dead? Please.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Looke posted:

The Master appearing to die onscreen means precisely zero when it comes to the Master. Not to mention she teleports earlier in the episode with a similar looking effect. Not to mention earlier in the season the Doctor designs teleporters that look like disintegrator suicide devices.

The Master WILL be back, I just hope it's Michelle Gomez when it happens.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I was totally down by this episode but this made it up. loving Santa isn't gonna let poo poo stand like this! And it's Nick Frost, too!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The structure was a bit off but I liked how it wound up. Fitting departure for Clara- dark but played like the end of a relationship rather than the more deathlike departures of Doomsday, Journey's End, Angels Take Manhattan etc.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jerusalem posted:

The Master appearing to die onscreen means precisely zero when it comes to the Master.

Seriously. The last time we saw the Master he was a super powerful ghost resurrected by almost literal magic who then got destroyed. A laser blast from a Cyberman? Pfft, they're not even Daleks.

Edit: Anyway, I really liked this episode. Though I'll grant that:

1. I haven't watched the classic series so I have no attachment to Lethbridge-Steward, and
2. I always tend to like TV and movies a hell of a lot for a day or two after I watch them before I have a chance to work out how I feel. It takes quite the shitshow to make me dislike something instantly.

Still, regardless of how I feel about the plot, Gomez acted the hell out of that episode. I'm a big fan of characters that put a lot of body language in their acting and Gomez absolutely nailed everything. Gomez's Master is probably one of my favorite characters in the entire series right now.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 9, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Impossible Girl thing was never resolved. Was it?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Between this and Dark Water, Gomez is my favorite Master since Delgado. The only other who even comes close is Jacobi, and he was the Master for all of, like, 5 minutes.

And, well, I can't make any judgment on MacQueen yet, since I've only listened to a handful of Big Finish stories.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Xelkelvos posted:

That was the finale to last season, where Clara threw herself into the Doctor's timestream. Granted they never really resolved how she got out, or how well she remembers the ordeal, but it was resolved in at least some sense.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, in Name of the Doctor. It got totes resolved.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I know that dying on screen doesn't mean they're dead. But it just seemed stupid to kill her off like that, I'd much rather she escapes, leaving the doctor shaking his fists at the sky

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jsor posted:

That was the finale to last season, where Clara threw herself into the Doctor's timestream. Granted they never really resolved how she got out, or how well she remembers the ordeal, but it was resolved in at least some sense.

Makes sense that I would forget it then since it all happened last season. :v:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm really really mad about Osgood's death and Cyberbrig. Like I really enjoyed this episode apart from that.

Maybe Zygon!Osgood will carry on the character?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Brigadier... :3:

A+ episode just for that, and they will be stupid if Missy doesn't return. She was fantastic.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
That wasn't the Brig, that was Adric conning everyone.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah it was. She's impossible because she kept showing up in the Doctor's timeline because she jumped into it.

I'd like to talk a moment to argue that Missy is a great Master not for her eye rolling and bombastic performance, but in the quiet moments. At the end, I'll admit, I completely bought into Michelle Gomez's subtle hints that her Master does really want to go back to being friends with The Doctor, as they were when kids. It was the little shakes in her timber near the end; a sort of vulnerability that I bought into wholeheartedly. When she's talking about her and The Doctor being similar, she's practically begging him to admit it not because he wants him brought down to his level, but wants to be up at his. The Doctor doesn't know if he's a good man or not, Missy says she doesn't need an army because armies are for people who are good.

And yeah, I even bought into her being honest about Gallifrey. Even going home in irons would be going home with The Doctor.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm really really mad about Osgood's death and Cyberbrig. Like I really enjoyed this episode apart from that.

Maybe Zygon!Osgood will carry on the character?

I thought Osgood's death really worked. Series eight's been about questioning the Doctor and what kind of a person he is and whether he's good or bad or reliable or whatever. She's got a childlike amount of faith in him, and is so eager to please (especially after he suggests she might take a spin in the TARDIS) that she's easily manipulated without her having to be stupid. Plus the fact that she's an endearing audience-surrogate character makes her death really register.

The only thing about it that bugs me is that her death, along with Seb's and some of how the Master is characterized, seems like it might be a Whizz Kid style gently caress You to a certain kind of fan.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

also

danny's OBVIOUSLY seen The Iron Giant

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The only real problem I have with this episode is that this feels like the exact same plot we went through with Journey's End and A Good Man Goes to War. 11 even did the whole "Good men don't need rules" thing, which is pretty close to 12's "I'm an idiot" revelation.

In some ways, it's a mirror of A Good Man Goes to War. Instead of bringing an army, he rejects one. But I can't shake the feeling that, fundamentally, we're retreading the exact same "the Doctor weaponizes people" and "the Doctor is a soldier and a general despite what he may think" thing we've been through. Admittedly, this had a twist on it, and I think the episode worked, but it still feels like we're going in circles with our plots. Unless every Doctor has to have this crisis of character at least once now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Looke posted:

I know that dying on screen doesn't mean they're dead. But it just seemed stupid to kill her off like that, I'd much rather she escapes, leaving the doctor shaking his fists at the sky

If the Master had been seen to escape, it would have left Clara with unresolved anger issues and prevented the mutual lying for the other's benefit bit where she and the Doctor pretend they're both totally happy and fine and don't need the other anymore. By the Master being "killed", Clara is free to prepare to move on with her life, while the Doctor can run into her at some later point and be all,"I should have loving known!"

Also I loved his angry punching when he goes to Gallifrey's coordinates and finds nothing there, he let himself believe for just a second that the Master was telling the truth (she probably is in some convoluted fashion) and that foiled hope just tears him apart.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
It's like the old "THE SUPERHERO IS CREATING HIS VILLAINS/BAD GUYS?" saw, it feels like every writer has to
discover it for themselves.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
I'm confused. Did they actually say that the Master created the idea of the afterlife? I didn't hear anything about that. I think the Master just abused it to her advantage, she didn't create it.

What's weird is Danny basically goes "Oh wait, here's a portal to Heaven" and sends the kid back.

terrordactle fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 9, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

terrordactle posted:

Did they actually say that the Master created the idea of the afterlife?

The Doctor said she must have been the one to create the idea for humanity as she traveled through time stocking up the nethersphere. That doesn't necessarily make it true, or even necessarily preclude that there IS an afterlife anyway, since that's always going to be down to faith.

Keep in mind this series (classic AND revival) has given multiple alien explanations for the origin of the devil and other various deities and belief systems in the past.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I liked it, except for the parts I didn't like.

Random thoughts:

I don't know what it is about Moffat's finales, but they so often feel like we're getting the highlights reel of the actual episode, and this was no exception. All a bunch of big, bold, brash scenes without any quieter moments for context. SUDDENLY CYBERMEN! SUDDENLY AIRPLANE! SUDDENLY CLARA IN GRAVEYARD!

The Master "dies" in pretty much every single story he (she) is in, and has done since the old days. Why would this be any different or any more permanent? Also, my god, Michelle Gomez was fantastic, and I loved every ridiculous facet of the Master's (what I will generously call a) plan. Sure, if she wanted to actually accomplish something other than 'aggravate the Doctor so he will be my best buddy again', there are much less convoluted ways she could have gone about it, but what fun would that be?

We had drat well better get an episode next year where the Doctor rescues Osgood, and everyone else the Master's teleported to her space prison with her teleport ray which was not in any sense killing anyone, though. Or where Osgood rescues everyone and goes shopping for a fez. I would absolutely and without hesitation watch the spinoff where Osgood tricks Missy, clocks her over the head, steals her TARDIS, and flies around the universe righting wrongs and creating fashion disasters. Someone make this happen.

Maybe it's because I just listened to Spare Parts again and goddamn that signsongy-INNNNNNNNNNNNAPPROPRIATE PAUSE voice is creepily effective, but I did not like the Cybermen's voices this time around. Aside from the "highlights reel" thing, that's my biggest actual complaint.

I'm not 100% satisfied with the resolution of Danny's story, but I think it broadly works. I was hoping for a stronger wrap-up with the Doctor's issues with soldiers, though (which seemed to be quietly swept under the rug at some point), and Danny's image of the Doctor as The Officer Who Inspired Me To Make The Worst Mistake Of My Life would have been more interesting if we'd so much as seen a hint of The Officer Who Inspired Me To Make The Worst Mistake Of My Life. Really, Danny in general just needed more screentime and development of his story, because, again, we just got the highlights reel.

Of course Danny was going to find someone more worthy than him of returning to life. Even if not the boy he killed, he'd have found someone he thought deserved it more, because that's who he is. And...wait, does this mean that all the minds that were in the Nethersphere are still there? The ones that didn't erase themselves to become Cybermen, at least? Because you could probably do clones or something. Or at least give River, et al, a bit of an upgrade to their virtual reality afterlife.

And the Master did put the Doctor and Clara together. And had no apparent reason for doing so other than SHE IS BOSSY HAHAHA THAT WILL ANNOY YOU. That's either brilliant or terrible, and I can't decide which. But the Doctor and Clara together has broadly been brilliant, so whatevs.

The episode gave us everything (in its gibberish way) we needed to know about the Brigadier for that resolution to make (what I will generously call) sense; he was Kate's father, the Doctor knew, liked, and respected him, and he's dead. And you know what? I don't think the people who think it's crass are wrong, but I'm not bothered. I think it's fine, and it was clearly an attempt at a nice little salute to the character, if a clumsy one.

That last scene between Clara and the Doctor was wonderful, by which I mean it was horrible (in the best possible sense). I think they both knew the other was full of poo poo, too, but were also both hurting too badly to do anything but let it go.

I had a brief moment of hope that we were going to see Paul McGann storm into the TARDIS when we got that voiceover at the end, but Nick Frost as Santa Claus is good too.

Jerusalem posted:

The Doctor said she must have been the one to create the idea for humanity as she traveled through time stocking up the nethersphere. That doesn't necessarily make it true, or even necessarily preclude that there IS an afterlife anyway, since that's always going to be down to faith.

Keep in mind this series (classic AND revival) has given multiple alien explanations for the origin of the devil and other various deities and belief systems in the past.

I didn't think it was super-clear (like a lot in the episode) but the interpretation I had wasn't that she created the idea of an afterlife so much as capitalized on it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

docbeard posted:

And the Master did put the Doctor and Clara together. And had no apparent reason for doing so other than SHE IS BOSSY HAHAHA THAT WILL ANNOY YOU. That's either brilliant or terrible, and I can't decide which. But the Doctor and Clara together has broadly been brilliant, so whatevs.

Maybe the Master based her idea of what the Doctor looks for in a companion on Tegan? :)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Random notice: the Cybermen crawling out of the cemetery scene(s) was more disturbingly shot than most zombie movies doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
When The Doctor hinted at taking Osgood with him in the middle of everything, my immediate reaction was "Doctor, NO! NOT AGAIN!"

• Locked thread