Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Put a level on the platter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

BigFactory posted:

That, and download the manual to adjust the weight on the arm.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My dad just bought a Pioneer PL-L1000, one of these tangential tonearm, built like a tank beauties:

Of course, his is in need of repairs, but it's really only the rubber-dampened spring feet that need a bit of TLC. The rubber has disintegrated and the plastic adjustment screws are in a thousand pieces. He's working on a new adjustment setup made from metal and new neoprene dampers.

It's gonna be pretty cool once it's fully functional again. It's got a pretty good list of features: Tangential tonearm, fully automatic, quartz-locked direct drive and a totally sweet jog control for moving the tonearm.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 9, 2014

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Finished a stand for my favorite gear, this is my second flex stand and this time I should have painted it but was too lazy.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

TooLShack posted:

Finished a stand for my favorite gear, this is my second flex stand and this time I should have painted it but was too lazy.

That looks awesome! Any info/tips for someone wanting to build a similar one?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TooLShack posted:

The vintage camera you used adds a lot to it!

jk, that's sweet poo poo.

I feel like I ask this constantly, but what are the speakers?

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Yeah I take horrible pictures, looks fine on the phone but after putting on the computer it looks like rear end.

They speakers are Thiel CS2s, which have seen better days, but due to the space I have they currently take up the least room out of all the speakers I have right now.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

TooLShack posted:

Is that a pioneer sa-7800 second up on the right. Looks like mine. gorgeous, great sounding amp.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

dik-dik posted:

That looks awesome! Any info/tips for someone wanting to build a similar one?

Yeah, build a little wheel to attach to a drill. I used a long screw, a cap from a can of deoxit, and some masking tape. Put the masking tape backwards to give it some grip on the nut and do like I did. You could prob get away with just putting tape around the drill but didn't want to get any tape goo on my drill. Please ignore the mess, currently trying to clear a room full of gear. I also used 1/2 all thread this time, it's a lot cheaper than 5/8 that I used on my other stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLn2LzqY53g

FATWOLF posted:

Is that a pioneer sa-7800 second up on the right. Looks like mine. gorgeous, great sounding amp.

It's a SA-8800 I bought that a guy recapped. It sounds great, but not with the speakers I'm currently running, the Sansui G-8000 sounds so much better. I think I'm gonna pull the SA-8800 out of the rack and put in either the G-771 I have or swap in some retarded like Six tape changer I picked up a month ago.

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 11, 2014

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

TooLShack posted:

Yeah, build a little wheel to attach to a drill. I used a long screw, a cap from a can of deoxit, and some masking tape. Put the masking tape backwards to give it some grip on the nut and do like I did. You could prob get away with just putting tape around the drill but didn't want to get any tape goo on my drill. Please ignore the mess, currently trying to clear a room full of gear. I also used 1/2 all thread this time, it's a lot cheaper than 5/8 that I used on my other stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLn2LzqY53g

It's a SA-8800 I bought that a guy recapped. It sounds great, but not with the speakers I'm currently running, the Sansui G-8000 sounds so much better. I think I'm gonna pull the SA-8800 out of the rack and put in either the G-771 I have or swap in some retarded like Six tape changer I picked up a month ago.

Which speakers?

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I don't know if ~10 years count as vintage, but would a set of 2 x Wharfedale Diamond 8.4, 2 x Diamond 8.1 and a center speaker of same series be a good deal for 300€?

Everything is in good condition inside and out.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Sorbus posted:

I don't know if ~10 years count as vintage, but would a set of 2 x Wharfedale Diamond 8.4, 2 x Diamond 8.1 and a center speaker of same series be a good deal for 300€?

Everything is in good condition inside and out.

When I first read this, I thought to myself, "the 90's isn't vintage"... :stare: I'm getting old!

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Possibly stupid question: If I have a receiver with a phono input, is there any benefit in using a turntable with an external phono preamp and a normal input? I have the phono preamp laying around because I used to have a receiver without phono and I just realized that my new (but older) receiver has a phono input.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Use the external phono preamp if it has better specs than the built in one on your receiver, or, if you just like the sound of it better.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

As a follow up to that, if I have a turntable that has both a phono and line setting that I'm running into a phone input on my receiver, which do I set the turntable to?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Quidnose posted:

As a follow up to that, if I have a turntable that has both a phono and line setting that I'm running into a phone input on my receiver, which do I set the turntable to?

Your turntable has a built in phono preamp. You can switch it on, and then plug it into your receiver's aux input. Or you can switch it off and plug it into your receivers phono input.

The Dude
Nov 18, 2000
Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude.
Right, you don't want to pre-amplify twice, since it will likely cause clipping or distortion and will also double the RIAA equalization correction. If your turntable has a switch with "line" and "phono" settings, pick the "phono" setting if you're connecting it to your receiver's "phono" input. "Line" means the turntable will put out a pre-amped, "line" level signal.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
If it has a switch, is one preferential to the other?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Your receiver's amp is *probably* better than the turntable's.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Quidnose posted:

Which turntable? We've obviously got some folks that really know a lot about this stuff here.

ED: 2 questions, all. First, where's a thread where I can brag about the latest vinyl I've scrounged? And secondly, about my needle. I buy a lot of pretty beat records at thrifts and whatnot and although I usually do a pretty good job cleaning them by hand, I still find the needle getting dust and dirt on it. I decided some time ago to use a small blast of air rather than a brush to clean the needle. Thoughts?

SnakePlissken fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 13, 2014

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

SnakePlissken posted:

ED: 2 questions, all. First, where's a thread where I can brag about the latest vinyl I've scrounged? And secondly, about my needle. I buy a lot of pretty beat records at thrifts and whatnot and although I usually do a pretty good job cleaning them by hand, I still find the needle getting dust and dirt on it. I decided some time ago to use a small blast of air rather than a brush to clean the needle. Thoughts?

1) http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417644
2) As long as it works I guess?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
It's not a turntable but it's vintage, my father did an unboxing video a few years ago and I figure it would be appreciated here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryqlqBfhTwA

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!

BigFactory posted:

It is level.

ShotgunWillie posted:

That, and download the manual to adjust the weight on the arm.

I've got the vertical balance and tracking force set properly. The lateral weight on the arm does not seem to be adjustable. It might be removable, but I'm skeptical that will help. It feels like more than just a balance issue. There is something springy or otherwise mechanical pushing it off. I can feel resistance when I push it back over to the rest. I need to poke around underneath more. Perhaps I disconnected a necessary opposing force when I undid the springs that drive the auto return mechanism.

In any case, it sounds like the answer is, "no, your tonearm should not be doing that, bro."

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

SnakePlissken posted:

Which turntable? We've obviously got some folks that really know a lot about this stuff here.

As far as cleaning your needle goes, most manufacturers of higher-end needles tend to recommend a soft fiber brush. Compressed air has the potential to knock the needle out of alignment, especially at full power, and I wouldn't recommend it. I've seen folks who are concerned about very dirty needles talk about using a magic eraser pad on the needle, extremely gently, but I'd still be worried about damage from that. At the least you are going to significantly shorten the life of the needle that way.

Most folks who play a lot of dirty/scratched records tend to have two different turntables, one for clean vinyl and one for dirty. That's the case at the shop where I work, and I've started to do that at home too. No sense damaging a $100+ needle with a lovely $3 record.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

You could also have two separate headshells if they're easily swapped out; though you'd probably need to run the same cartridge in both unless you wanted to futz with VTF every time you switched them out.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

Help please!

My brother thinks he wants a turntable setup, and he's closing on his new house in a week, so I was thinking of getting some stuff for Christmas. He wants this Audio-Technica record player and these Audioengine Speakers. Anything I should be concerned about? Any recommendations on not $400 speakers?

I have the Debut III on my wishlist because of the reviews in the OP, but the speakers recommended in the OP aren't even available anymore from what I can tell.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

PleasusChrist posted:

Help please!

My brother thinks he wants a turntable setup, and he's closing on his new house in a week, so I was thinking of getting some stuff for Christmas. He wants this Audio-Technica record player and these Audioengine Speakers. Anything I should be concerned about? Any recommendations on not $400 speakers?

I have the Debut III on my wishlist because of the reviews in the OP, but the speakers recommended in the OP aren't even available anymore from what I can tell.

Does your brother already have an amplifier or does he need powered speakers? If he already has an amplifier, this is a good pair that are always recommended: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

PleasusChrist posted:

Help please!

Both of those are quality choices.

The speakers are powered (have a built in amplifier), which contributes to the price. They are also extremely well built and look fantastic, so that contributes to the price as well. I have the smaller A2's which are great, but might lack in bass for some people.

If you wanted to buy different speakers, you'd have to find another pair that were powered. Otherwise you'd have to buy an amp or receiver to go with it, which can easily cost another $200 unless you want something extremely cheap like a T class Lepai amp, or something vintage.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

Chill Callahan posted:

Does your brother already have an amplifier or does he need powered speakers? If he already has an amplifier, this is a good pair that are always recommended: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/

No, he doesn't have anything at all.

BANME.sh posted:

Both of those are quality choices.

The speakers are powered (have a built in amplifier), which contributes to the price. They are also extremely well built and look fantastic, so that contributes to the price as well. I have the smaller A2's which are great, but might lack in bass for some people.

If you wanted to buy different speakers, you'd have to find another pair that were powered. Otherwise you'd have to buy an amp or receiver to go with it, which can easily cost another $200 unless you want something extremely cheap like a T class Lepai amp, or something vintage.

I'm assuming any other powered set would cost around the same/more? I didn't even think about being able to skip an amp/receiver if I went with these. I think he would prefer the cleaner look these will provide.

Thanks for the input, folks!

Edit: Is there any kind of site where you all shop that isn't Amazon or is that the best place to find (new) stuff?

PleasusChrist fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 18, 2014

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

PleasusChrist posted:

I'm assuming any other powered set would cost around the same/more?

No, you can definitely get cheaper ones. If you search for powered speakers or powered monitors on amazon, a lot of options come up. I think a lot of people like the M Audio AV40's, but they look plasticy and tacky to me.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
who the gently caress recycles this??

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That's a beauty

I love the way luxman gear looks

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
cleaned it up the best i could and took some pics for ebay. all this stuff came in in the same load of stuff.

:krad: blacklight speed strobe (the numbers are printed on the underside of the platter):

it didn't have a mount for a dust bug, but it came with one anyway :shrug::

and one of these:

and, finally, two of these:

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -