Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Anticheese posted:

I've never touched the mods before. Has anything worth mentioning been updated for the new version?

Well, I feel a bit awkward tooting my own horn like this, but I just managed to get Shadowyards officially released for 0.65a:

Shadowyards 0.5.2 Changelog:

• Added the Ashnan-class small Freighter
  • Added Civilian skins for the Enli, Seski, Sargasso, Morningstar and Elysium
  • Excepting the Seski these ships have lower flux stats and OP.
  • The Civilian Elysium has also (provisionally) lost its Pandora built-in weapon.
  • Increased the Seski's armor to 100 (from 50), and it's cargo capacity to 65 (from 35)
  • Reduced the Enlils cargo capacity to 50 (from 60)
  • Reduced the Morningstars flux capacity to 5000 (from 6000)
  • Substantial increases to the logistics load of all Shadowyards craft
  • Increased OP Cost of the Medium CEPC to 14
  • Decreased the OP cost of the PD CEPC to 4
  • Added the Deva and Murti anti-ship neutron beam cannons; these fearsome weapons have high burst damage and are effective against hulls, but falter somewhat against shields
  • Added the Urumi "fan" laser, a point defense beam weapon that has a somewhat spread beam focus
  • Added the "Gigas" system, which has been recently attacked by the Hegemony, throwing the entire system into chaos.
  • Ports of call in this system are the moon "Stillness," still under Shadowyards control, the Hegemony's forward operating post "Lance Base", and the Pirate station "Auris' Grip" which has set up shop to profit from the chaos
  • Removed Pirates from Anar; added ports on Lumen (shadowyards) and Melancholia(independent), generally made the system an absurd economic powerhouse
  • Generally brought the mod up to date with the current release, as well as well as updating it's ShaderLib compatablity

Downloadable =here= if you care at all, which you probably shouldn't.

Actually, while we're on the subject other mods which currently have functional dev versions (to my knowledge) are the Mayorate, SCY, and Citadel.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Might want to link to your own thread too since there are some dependencies to download. :v:

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Oh good. I tried the dev version yesterday and got a crash while the campaign map was loading but this one seems to work so far!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Something might be a little off with the economy in Shadowyards. I haven't played too much yet but most commodities are going for 400-500 a pop. Which is nice when I go to unload the heavy machinery I loot. Not so nice when I'm trying to fuel up and the cheapest I've found so far is 389/unit. :stare: Hoookay, I'll go find some Drams to raid, thanks.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Arrath posted:

Something might be a little off with the economy in Shadowyards. I haven't played too much yet but most commodities are going for 400-500 a pop. Which is nice when I go to unload the heavy machinery I loot. Not so nice when I'm trying to fuel up and the cheapest I've found so far is 389/unit. :stare: Hoookay, I'll go find some Drams to raid, thanks.

So far the workings of the economy are a little arcane, but yeah, now that I'm not focused on making sure all the parts are working correctly, fuel does seem inordinately expensive. Hmmm... if I had to guess, it's probably a combination of how strong the local economy is in Anar with relatively lower fuel production? I guess I'll screw around with the settings and see if I can't get it to a more reasonable level.

Edit: Alright, I should have a fix for this out sometime tomorrow. As it turns out the issue is a result of a factor in the economic calculation which basically comes out to "market size"; in the current released version, Euripides market size is 6. With the degree to which the planet is built up, this apparently has a massive effect on the Sectors economy... mostly it's fuel economy for reasons that aren't exactly clear. I'll reduce the factor to 5 or 4, which in testing seems to have resolved the issue.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 29, 2014

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I vaguely recall reading that the scale thing is hosed in general and Alex is looking into it. I don't think he tested it above scale 6 or something.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Drone_Fragger posted:

I vaguely recall reading that the scale thing is hosed in general and Alex is looking into it. I don't think he tested it above scale 6 or something.

Yeah, I believe it's the case. Regardless, next release done.

0.5.2.1 Changelog:

• Fixed an issue with Anar's economy that was causing high fuel prices and fuel shortages.
  • Removed some redundant surface and normal maps.
  • Replaced surface maps due to color channel errors causing some minor issues
  • Because I was looking at it, also retouched the Tartarus' sprite and all related maps
  • Descriptions for SRA planets should be fixed

=download=

And just in case you might want to check out my mods thread on the fractal forums to make sure you've got all the dependencies. I guess.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I really want to play your mod again, as I -love- the Seski, but all my hard work on vanilla :(

Ah well, just got stranded in a hostile system with no fuel and low supplies and all my ships, so i guess that runs over anyway.

Shadowyards ho!

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
So what do you do for fun in this game? I don't mean that in a negative way, I'm genuinely curious. I'm sitting on about 1.5 million right now and the only fleets I can't handle are the big armadas with tons of fighters. I steamroll everything else.

This is a great little game, but it's way too easy to make money. It seems like there's always a food shortage somewhere.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Uh.. everything you did to get the big fleet and 1.5m in the bank? Its not super deep yet and doesn't exactly have an endgame in any real sense.

Combat is a bit easy due to a bug giving all NPC fleets green crew. The economy was just added so it'll need some refinement. Officers and player owned outposts haven't been added yet. Mods will help flesh it out as they update.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Getting money was super easy once I got my 250 unit freighter. Just follow the shortages. Pirates are easily avoided.

For now I'll try going full blown piracy from the start and seeing how long I last.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
To be honest if you're sitting on that much cash and are tried of effortless slaughtering fleets with bugged crews then it's a great time to put this game down for a couple months.

One of the best things about Starsector is coming back to it. In a few months we should have at least one single install mod collection and a fix to the rough edges of last week's patch.

I'd tell you to try the challenges because (like with Mount and Blade) once you start getting some momentum going the campaign is easy aside from fighting the rare fleet that's as stacked as you. But I'm not going to tell you that because apparently the challenges have green crews too right now.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Minor patch released!

Mostly some bug fixes, but now the fleet crews default to normal, not green, and you can simulate fleet vs fleet engagements, not just one vs fleet.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

The engine health bug got fixed :unsmith:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Aww, no more crippling ships merely by raking my graviton beam across their engines.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Arrath posted:

Aww, no more crippling ships merely by raking my graviton beam across their engines.

Counterpoint: no more seeing one of my destroyers suffer a full flameout from a single errant Swarmer across the engine nozzle. :argh:

It's been an especially dark time for frigates, what with the new scarcity of omni-shields and the changes to missiles. Good fix, good patch.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Heads up to anyone who had the "pixel format not accellerated" problem, it appears to be OK in the latest release, at least with a pretty recent set of NVidia drivers etc etc.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I wonder when he'll include a borderless window'd fullscreen, instead of us having to do it ourselves.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I wish he would turn the explosions down again, having to face away every time something larger than a frigate goes kablooey isn't doing me any good when in a melee.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Speaking of, I miss the Interstellar Federation and the railgun that would cause a small whiteout every time it hit :allears:

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

THE BAR posted:

I wish he would turn the explosions down again, having to face away every time something larger than a frigate goes kablooey isn't doing me any good when in a melee.

Personally, I just play with my eyes closed. I remember a while back there was a bug where... they were bigger, and pretty much frigates blew up with the same gigantic flashes. It was *horrible*.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Good lord vanilla fighters are so much better than they used to be.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Torpedo bombers are also insanely funny to watch. Yeah that capital ship over there? Gone.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Yeah Daggers are sweet, I need to get a couple more wings of them.

I don't think I've ever seen a good third of the ships and weapons in the game for sale anywhere. Is tri-tach hiding them all or are a lot of them just extremely rare? Even stuff like mining drones are totally absent and I've checked drat near every planet and station.

Also the constant customs checks are super annoying, you even get them from factions you have really good rep with. I wish he'd make it so they're really rare or nonexistent if you have good rep and more common if you have bad rep. It sounds like it's supposed to be that way but I can't tell the difference.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's annoying, it seems to be mostly tied to your character level and even then fighters/bombers are almost always on black market trades. And yes the customs checks are kind of dumb, if you refuse to let them scan you then a 4-ship fast picket group will then fight your 50 point fleet to the death just to spite you. The toll value seems to take into account your crew, so your 500 elite fighter pilots end up making tolls pretty ridiculous - I've had them over 25k jut carrying some supplies along with crew.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Starsector+ updated. I'm playing it with the Mayorate and Citadel, it's pretty nifty. I'd suggest trying it out once you get bored with vanilla

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

ghetto wormhole posted:

Also the constant customs checks are super annoying, you even get them from factions you have really good rep with. I wish he'd make it so they're really rare or nonexistent if you have good rep and more common if you have bad rep. It sounds like it's supposed to be that way but I can't tell the difference.

I've maxed out my reputation with Tri-Tachyon and there's definitely a let off of custom checks that dwindles to rare around 80. Can't remember the last one I had from that faction but then again I don't really hang out in their systems all that much.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Does anyone know what the numbers are for the different reputation levels? Like when does it go from friendly to cooperative and so on.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Pretty sure it's 20 40 60 80 etc

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Garfu posted:

Starsector+ updated. I'm playing it with the Mayorate and Citadel, it's pretty nifty. I'd suggest trying it out once you get bored with vanilla

No BRDY for 0.65 yet :qq:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

mirarant posted:

I'm hurting for Torn Up Plenty's Wolf frigate variations right now.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

mirarant posted:

I'm unfortunately going to be quite busy up until mid December so I have no idea when I can work on the mod again. Might squeeze out a really bare bones release if I can.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The only mod I can get to work reliably so far is Shadowyards, although the others share a dependency on ShaderLib so I suspect that's really the culprit. I keep hitting this problem that after some time playing, saving start to get really chuggy and long and then the savegame can't be loaded any more. Shadowyards works great though!

Emuticus
Jan 23, 2013
Oh god. I picked this up a week or two ago, right after 0.65 came out. SS+ and the mods that are updated for it make it a different game entirely. I love it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That Starsector Plus mod is really interesting, among other things they broke up the burn rate perks into several different skills rather than putting them all in one skill you can start dumping points into at level 1. Now you have to reach at least level 11 before you can improve burn rate at all, it makes the out of combat phase of the game a lot more difficult and tense because you can't just trivially catch or outrun everything. All the variations on start options are really nice as well, it's a superb and well-balanced mod that doesn't just pile free DPS on everything. I just hope it doesn't have that same savegame crash problem I've been having with other mods :ohdear:

MSShadowy you might consider integrating your mod with the Starsector Plus guy(s) for that kind of faction/startup stuff, it's quite cool.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Could you update the OP? All you really need to change is the siren thing to say something like :siren:.65.1 is out, most mods are broken as gently caress:siren:. Maybe something about working economy.

Flesh Forge posted:

That Starsector Plus mod is really interesting, among other things they broke up the burn rate perks into several different skills rather than putting them all in one skill you can start dumping points into at level 1. Now you have to reach at least level 11 before you can improve burn rate at all, it makes the out of combat phase of the game a lot more difficult and tense because you can't just trivially catch or outrun everything. All the variations on start options are really nice as well, it's a superb and well-balanced mod that doesn't just pile free DPS on everything. I just hope it doesn't have that same savegame crash problem I've been having with other mods :ohdear:

MSShadowy you might consider integrating your mod with the Starsector Plus guy(s) for that kind of faction/startup stuff, it's quite cool.

I much prefer the SS+ skill tree, though I'm not so sure about some of the other changes they're making. And you can get some improved burns by level 6 or 7 if you focus on only one tree, especially leadership.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 10, 2014

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Unreal_One posted:

I much prefer the SS+ skill tree, though I'm not so sure about some of the other changes they're making. And you can get some improved burns by level 6 or 7 if you focus on only one tree, especially leadership.

Yeah, this system is a lot better since the burn bonus made science pretty much mandatory. I still go for it anyways because I am a firm believer in feature creep.

Oh, and they expressly mention the requirements for using star gravity wells in a skill. The vanilla game doesn't tell you that for some reason. :confused:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oops, yeah I misremembered the leveling path, you can unlock some fleet burn bonus at level 6. From the Combat tree! Really they made all 3 skill trees much more appealing, it's a neat mod.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Flesh Forge posted:

Uh, it is already, actually. Well, for the faction stuff at least; unfortunately due to apparent limitations of the new rules scripting system, adding a Shadowyards start for the player is likely to conflict with any other mod which also touches the startup options. SS+ can't do it either because the rules scripting language, to my understanding, has no way of knowing what content the game has loaded, so you could end up with null crashes by offering the player the chance to start with a modded ship if that mod happens to not be loaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8095.135

Knights Templar updated for 0.65 with a special Crusade event in which they invade and poo poo on systems. If you haven't tried Templars yet now's the time to get in on it! I spent a lot of time on all that content! Works with SS+ of course.