Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Xachariah posted:

Really his animosity didn't make any sense because when did he see the Doctor act like an officer?

For me it only makes sense when you see Danny as an emotional foil for Clara, and little else. He's a cardboard character; the fact they couldn't be bothered to develop what they had and reduced him to a phone call for half the series makes that plain. Clara is supposed to be torn between her best friend and the great love of her life, but by doing so little with Danny they undermined their own theme. You can't believe Danny, you can't believe their relationship, and you can't believe Clara.

Like you say, the problem with Danny's other theme is that it only makes sense coming from someone who's known the Doctor, not a newcomer. And it really unravels when you realize Clara is meant to share this ambivalence, or why would she be torn between them? All through the series this nagged me, and I found myself liking Clara less and less as the writing seemed to push her into the same kind of indifference Danny protested in the Doctor, and it really peaks in Flatline. By then the Doctor realizes (as I assume we are supposed to) that Clara would make a terrible Time Lord, she doesn't have the moral ballast required. The idea that Danny supplies this is just laughable. When you remember what a cardboard character Clara herself was, it's quite dispiriting to think she was picked by Missy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Pyramids of Mars has the two best voices in Doctor Who - the Servant of Sutekh and Sutekh himself.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Stones of Blood is half "weird mystery in an English country house" (eg Image of the Fendahl, Pyramids of Mars) and half "sci-fi courtroom farce", and it would have been better if it had picked one or the other. It's not that either bit is bad, it's just that they shouldn't have been in the same episode.

Nonsense, if the history of Doctor Who proves anything it's that any given serial can be improved by being intercut with a sci-fi courtroom farce :colinbaker:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Pyramids of Mars has the two best voices in Doctor Who - the Servant of Sutekh and Sutekh himself.

Too bad Sutekh had a hard time finding work after that serial.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I loaded up a bit of the old Satan Pit to compare Woolf in that and jesus christ I know we talk about Tennant being a gurning buffoon a lot but... jesus christ

http://youtu.be/fWK9xmBdZrc?t=1m2s

Meanwhile,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydLvYuEBtwE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06yKM2rubaw

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I loaded up a bit of the old Satan Pit to compare Woolf in that and jesus christ I know we talk about Tennant being a gurning buffoon a lot but... jesus christ

Meanwhile,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1xnU2BNryo&t=296s

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Buying the DVD right now

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Holy poo poo.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Man, Captain Jack would make a fantastic companion for Capaldi.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Meanwhile,

I didn't realise the Gallifrey co-ordinates came from Pyramids, that's my new favourite old series reference.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

You and I, we're on the same page.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

People really need to check out the DVDs, they're full of amazing stuff :)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Xachariah posted:

Really his animosity didn't make any sense because when did he see the Doctor act like an officer?

The first time he sees the Doctor is when the Doctor is trying to single-handedly take out an alien soldier with a trap and the Doctor put himself in harms way to do it. So why does Danny immediately start "insulting" him by calling him an officer? It doesn't make any sense. He's right the Doctor is like a military commander at times but Danny never saw that before he ran his mouth. It seems like Danny watched the show before he came on it, it's bizarre.

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to take this as Danny immediately pegging the Doctor at first glance based on his mannerisms and body language; seems reasonable to me if he was in the army for a while.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to take this as Danny immediately pegging the Doctor at first glance based on his mannerisms and body language; seems reasonable to me if he was in the army for a while.

So would he of pegged Eleven totally differently then? It's contrived nonsense drama with the bare minimal of work done to establish it, in my opinion.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Adams wasn't happy with how The Pirate Planet turned out, because to him it felt like everyone went "this is a comedy, so we've got to do the funny voices and silly walks"- it's played very broad and doesn't always work as a result (the first episode cliffhanger is particularly awkward.) But it's fairly imaginative and entertaining regardless.

The Captain pretty much saves that entire serial for me because Bruce Purchase just chews up every scene he's in with such delightful glee.

ewe2 posted:

you can't believe Clara.

I daresay that might have been the point of Clara this entire season :v:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I did laugh when Clara was having her speech about how she was actually the Doctor because I was imagining people in this thread leaping off their couches screaming "I KNEW IT!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pwnstar posted:

I did laugh when Clara was having her speech about how she was actually the Doctor because I was imagining people in this thread leaping off their couches screaming "I KNEW IT!"

I love that the Cybermen were basically going,"This is clearly bullshit.... but I guess it's technically possible...."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

When that was going down I said to my cat "I cannot believe goons called it" and then I realised it was just yet another big stupid Clara lie that nobody on-screen had any business believing. Also the logical clusterfuck of telling a bunch of robots to believe some obvious bullshit you just made up on the basis that you're, in your own words, "an incredible liar".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The lie was fantastic, especially with the opening credits getting in on the joke.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
OpenOffice keeps auto-completing "Master" to "Masterplan."

Carrrrrrrrrrrtmel! :argh:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I just watched the finale. It was pretty good, although it was... dumb as gently caress. But a lot of good Doctor Who is. I can enjoy dumb fun. The CyberBrig was both tasteless and made me start crying, so...

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The lie was fantastic, especially with the opening credits getting in on the joke.

Haha, I completely missed that, that's beautiful.

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

I wanted SO BAD for the 'Clara is the Doctor and Capaldi is just some schmuck she picked up from Rome and brainwashed to cover her tracks' theory to be true, just because it would be the most convoluted and stupid thing Moffat would have ever attempted and I would have loved it.

As it was I just ended up vaguely disappointed in this episode, but I can't really pin down why. The parts I legitimately enjoyed involved Gomez, naturally. There is no way the Master is dead, even when they cremated him he came back. I just hope it's not the end of Gomez's role on the show.

And actually, why did they spend so much time setting up the Doctor as President of the Earth and then have him just fall out of a plane and let Danny save the world? I was hoping for at least something after all that buildup. I did like the moment where he mocks the Master for having leadership of the world just fall into his lap, but that's not a big enough payoff.

Well, now to wait for the Christmas special. I can't believe they went from 'Clara and the Doctor's regretful farewell' to 'SANTA CLAUS ON THE TARDIS LOL'. Doctor Who, you already nailed it with Donna at the end of season 2, it's never going to happen again, stop it. I'm probably going to stop being that guy who's all "Who's the Brigadier?" and just start watching the classic series while I wait. Netflix only has a few episodes from the olden days (I'm in Canada), so is there anywhere else that I can find the original episodes? Besides just ordering them en masse on Amazon?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Danny's coming back, Nick Frost said "we can't leave things between you two like that" he will fix everything in the special bringing them both back and making it so Clara/Doctor leave on a good note, right before they leave Danny will solve the math puzzle that's been sitting in the background the entire season and give the Doctor the key to finding Galifrey.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

Danny will solve the math puzzle that's been sitting in the background the entire season and give the Doctor the key to finding Galifrey.

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

Pretty sure the Master was actually telling the truth, the Doctor just had another senior moment and forgot that she also told him it's in another dimension. So he was in the right spot, but the wrong universe.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

socialsecurity posted:

Danny will solve the math puzzle that's been sitting in the background the entire season and give the Doctor the key to finding Galifrey.

The UNIT dating controversy?!?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

The UNIT dating controversy?!?

Look if Jo wanted to go on a date with Mike Yates, that was her business.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Look if Jo wanted to go on a date with Mike Yates, that was her business.

May you find yourself forced to run as if something very nasty were after you, because something very nasty will be after you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

May you find yourself forced to run as if something very nasty were after you, because something very nasty will be after you.

Will it have bad CSO leakage around the borders? :ohdear:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Will it have bad CSO leakage around the borders? :ohdear:

...I had no idea what CSO was until you just made me Google it. I will never be able to look at a Jon Pertwee serial in the same way again. :eng101:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

JoltSpree posted:

Pretty sure the Master was actually telling the truth, the Doctor just had another senior moment and forgot that she also told him it's in another dimension. So he was in the right spot, but the wrong universe.

I'm sure she said it was back from the other universe. Might have to watch the episode again to be sure, oh no!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

2house2fly posted:

I'm sure she said it was back from the other universe. Might have to watch the episode again to be sure, oh no!

Rule #1 - the Master lies.

tasslex
Apr 23, 2003

He's watching YOU

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Holy poo poo how did I miss that?

I thought this episode was a jumbled mess of random ideas much like most of this season, but that nearly redeems it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

OK so this episode definitely has the best opening/ending credits contest locked down

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Ahaha I totally missed this, that's fantastic.

She also gets top billing over Peter Capaldi :allears:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So I restarted my long slog through classic Dr. Who yesterday (halfway through season 13, Tom Baker's second, now) and I watched The Android Invasion which touched on some similar themes as the current finale and had similar problems too. For what its worth it was great, classic Tom Baker with creepy monsters and excellent use of the budget. What really got to me, and what I feel like the big difference is, is that when something stupid happens in TAI it is there for a split second before the show just moves on with the plot, allowing you to put it to the back of your mind. For instance the doctor sends out radio waves towards the end which shut down the robots. This is done, on screen, by basically having the film stop so it looks like the androids are playing statue in a way where gravity would normally have them fall over. Its dumb looking and actually snapped me to full attention with how ridiculous it was. But... it was over and done in a second, there was no momentous music heralding this new development, no shots of the Doctor walking around and looking at the scene and you can be damned sure that he the Doctor wasn't making a big speech about the robots standing still and what exactly it meant for humanity. The negative aspects were effectively minimized because the show didn't have time to dwell on them. The current show feels like the opposite, when we look at the worst parts of this season (whether whole episodes or just parts that were bad) the show comes off as reveling in stupidity. It is, in essence, a pig in poo poo.

The Android Invasion also, and this is something that the current show thankfully doesn't have in large part, had things that could be considered plotholes (not talking about UNIT dating, more stuff that actually would matter to the serial itself,) laughably bad image editing, actors obviously subbing in for others who weren't available, etc. Yet despite it all it works through it and came out giving me a generally creeped out feeling which I'm pretty sure was the whole point.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
I don't think it's possible to imagine how poo poo Doctor Who will be if Osgood comes back and is the next companion.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

JoltSpree posted:

Or the wrong time
Should have checked the day after tomorrow, doctor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I've seen all of Tom Baker's stuff and I cannot remember a drat thing about The Android Invasion. I've got no idea why, my mind is just blank.

• Locked thread