Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Misogynist posted:

We got 70,000+ reblogs in a few hours from this Tumblr post. We crashed under the load for about 20-30 minutes until we were able to scale up on EC2 (which still isn't as automated as I'd like). There's worse reasons to crash than too many users, though!

Tonight I have to retool our whole metrics collection system, our log aggregation system, and our monitoring system, because none of them are able to cope with this much load and it makes everything that much worse. (I say "tonight" as though it will still be dark out when I go to sleep.)

So what's the plan to monetize? Tumblrites don't tend to have credit cards :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Boss just confirmed we're cleared through HR to accept a vender's invitation to go to next monday night's football game, which includes tailgating with the cheerleaders and club level seats. I'm not a football guy but this sounds like it'll be a good time.

Corp IT's pretty cool sometimes.

I got to see a baseball game from the box seats and it was an awesome experience. I'm not into sports so I wouldn't make it a regular thing, but do it once.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Is there a simple equation to use when charging for 1099 work in IT? I have a 1099 remote consulting opportunity dealing with a very niche piece of Service Provider equipment (maybe a handful of people outside of Cisco have the level of experience that I have with this device), I am thinking 2.5x my current hourly wage. Does that sound like too much?

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Roargasm posted:

Accept payment in fedoras, velcro-on tails and internet points. It's marginally more stable than bitcoin.

evol262 posted:

Suse is like Redhat in the sense that they're both RPM-based and both Linux. Not that similar otherwise.
Isn't SUSE pretty big in HPC? I seem to recall SLES being the OS of choice for SGI. I'm not sure if that's the case for any other vendors though.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Cenodoxus posted:

Isn't SUSE pretty big in HPC? I seem to recall SLES being the OS of choice for SGI. I'm not sure if that's the case for any other vendors though.

SuSE is big in Europe and with some vendors (EMC, SGI, some of IBM's embedded stuff). It's a perfectly good distro. It's just not that similar to RHEL.

SovietRussia
Apr 1, 2010

Sepist posted:

Is there a simple equation to use when charging for 1099 work in IT? I have a 1099 remote consulting opportunity dealing with a very niche piece of Service Provider equipment (maybe a handful of people outside of Cisco have the level of experience that I have with this device), I am thinking 2.5x my current hourly wage. Does that sound like too much?

How does 2.5x your hourly wage compare to the professional services rate for Cisco? I'd imagine you'd need to beat their price by at least 25% to make it worthwhile to go with you over a Cisco consultant and all of their internal resources. Assuming they are similar to Microsoft's rates ($200-250/hr) you've still got a lot to work with.

I just took a part time consulting gig at my previous employer for about 1.5x my current hourly rate, paid as w-2. For me it would have just been an 8% difference for the tax (you are responsible for the employer portion of social security and medicare on 1099), since I'm keeping my other full time salary job with full benefits

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Didn't matter ultimately. I came in at 2x my wage but they could only offer $80/hr. I took it because it actually isn't that much work, I am just revamping technical documentation for a boot camp.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Just got word the other day that we're changing our weekend shifts around. Apparently neither our unit nor the unit at Scott AFB is able to retain people, let alone find anyone to replace those that have left. So rather than both units having a day shift that works 8am-8pm on Saturday and Sunday and a night shift that covers 8pm-8am, we're going to have one detachment cover one shift and the other detachment cover the other shift. Being the nice guys they are my bosses volunteered us to cover the 8pm-8am shift starting December 6 and lasting for six months. This will be my 3rd shift change in 5 months. I have also decided that this will be my last shift change here if I can help it.

My coworker and I currently hold down the 8am-8pm shift, and we've both reached the conclusion that there's going to be 2 more open spots as soon as we can find another position. It sucks, because aside from the long hours and lack of a weekend the job is quite easy - we babysit the exchange servers, investigate some problems, perform some change requests, and basically make sure the building doesn't burn down. Hell, the biggest downside to the whole situation was not being able to watch college football live, but thanks to someone opening some ports in the firewall that has become a non-issue.

I hate changing jobs.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Well there's your problem right there!

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Scott AFB

Scott AFB is awesome..........because I don't have to work there, just communicate with those that do :)

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Scott AFB is awesome..........because I don't have to work there, just communicate with those that do :)
[/quote]

Leadership was talking about their visit there a while back. Apparently the detachment office has a hole the size of a dryer in the side of the building that was fixed with some plywood being nailed up half-assed to (mostly) cover it. Equipment needs to be fumigated weekly to get rid of all the bugs, and not a day doesn't go by when someone doesn't try to kill the ever-present mice wandering the floor. Water drips from the ceiling, and the carpeting is so stained that mold has set in and the smell is atrocious.

Thanks, but I'll take lovely hours over that any day.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
That sounds like the descriptions of Gitmo I've heard.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone here use FSO comms in production? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-space_optical_communication

A job I used to work at used it, and I'm considering it right now. Part of our company is moving across the street to another office building with line of sight. Our building only has Verizon and they have Comcast, so I'm thinking of proposing we both double our bandwidth then make an FSO link to each other, so we both have a backup if either ISP has an outage.

Edit: I'm seeing some have hybrid laser and RF for the rare occasions when heavy fog/snow would attenuate the laser.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005
So I had a fast one pulled on me today.

I have three weeks, starting Wednesday to go to five different offices for a potential new client to perform an "IT Assessment" - which is basically me gathering information about EVERYTHING...
Who logs in remotely and how
DNS host
Webhost
etc. etc.

Then I get to sit down and interview EVERY USER
What is your most common problem with your computer?
What applications do you use?
Do you log in remotely? If yes, how? Who do you contact if you can't print from 3rd party application?

So I get to spend the entirety of tonight, generating a gigantic list of questions.
Does anyone have any template or anything remotely close to this that I could just plagiarize? Barring me asking you to do my work for me, anyone have any stuff that would be good to ask these folks?
The past three weeks have been "let me call Farts as he's driving home and tell him there's a NEW top priority thing to take care of, oh by the way, those budgets are still due by December 2!"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Roargasm posted:

You know I can't go posting our business plan. :)

Crop_Top_9000
Jun 20, 2014
Any tips on doing a job search outside of my immediate area?

I've been helpdesk for nearly four years and since there's basically no chance of me advancing internally, I figure it's time to move on. My lease has gone to month-to-month, so I don't have anything else tying me down locally and I'm pretty flexible about where I end up.

Outside of trawling cragslist, what's the best way to see what's out there?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Crop_Top_9000 posted:

Any tips on doing a job search outside of my immediate area?

I've been helpdesk for nearly four years and since there's basically no chance of me advancing internally, I figure it's time to move on. My lease has gone to month-to-month, so I don't have anything else tying me down locally and I'm pretty flexible about where I end up.

Outside of trawling cragslist, what's the best way to see what's out there?

LinkedIn seems to have developed itself into a recruitment site. I get hits weekly from recruiters from it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

When you guys say you're getting hits from Recruiters, are they messaging you directly?

Maybe I should fill out my LinkedIn Profile...

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Tab8715 posted:

When you guys say you're getting hits from Recruiters, are they messaging you directly?

Yup.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Welp, I guess if poo poo hits the fan I have an infinite supply of 6-month contract-to-hire gigs. :shrug:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If you're looking for a job and your LinkedIn isn't filled out you're doing yourself a disservice. The last recruiter that worked out of the office I support literally spent all day on LinkedIn premium or whatever searching for people with <skillset> <location> and calling and emailing them.

I really want to update mine, but I don't want anyone to think I'm looking for a new job. I'm stupid happy where I'm at right now, but if something more awesome came along.... well ya know.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

skipdogg posted:

I really want to update mine, but I don't want anyone to think I'm looking for a new job.

That's why mines mostly empty :tinfoil:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Misogynist posted:

You know I can't go posting our business plan. :)

Oooooh! You just revealed that you have a business plan.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

skipdogg posted:

I really want to update mine, but I don't want anyone to think I'm looking for a new job. I'm stupid happy where I'm at right now, but if something more awesome came along.... well ya know.

You can turn off profile update notifications so you can stealthily update your profile. They'll only know you've updated it if they're randomly checking out your profile for whatever reason.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Oooooh! You just revealed that you have a business plan.
poo poo, I guess we're not really a startup!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Anyone in town in PhoenixAZ Dec 1-5, then San Fran 6-8th?

Meet up for some beer and local eats in San Fran?

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 11, 2014

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Tab8715 posted:

:bang:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Anyone in town in PhoenixAZ Dec 1-5, then San Fran 6-8th?

Meet up for some beer and local eats in San Fran?

There's a very good chance I'll be in Phx during that timeframe. Possible :yotj: may interfere.

If I'm not in town, here's some good places to check out.

I recommend the Cornish Pasty Co. http://www.cornishpastyco.com/
There's a new Barcade in Tempe: http://endgamebar.com/
I've heard good things about this ethiopian restaurant: http://www.cafelalibela.com/

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Wait I oh. that was facebook

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There's a very good chance I'll be in Phx during that timeframe. Possible :yotj: may interfere.

If I'm not in town, here's some good places to check out.

I recommend the Cornish Pasty Co. http://www.cornishpastyco.com/
There's a new Barcade in Tempe: http://endgamebar.com/
I've heard good things about this ethiopian restaurant: http://www.cafelalibela.com/

Highest item is <85 bucks so IDK what to think but worth a shot.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 11, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Highest item is <85 bucks so IDK what to think but worth a shot.

If you want fancy and expensive, maybe try Kai?
http://www.wildhorsepass.com/kai-restaurant.html

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you want fancy and expensive, maybe try Kai?
http://www.wildhorsepass.com/kai-restaurant.html

Lalibela is great.

For fancy (and generally good), see also:

Nobuo
Bink's Midtown (or Binkley's if you wanna drive to north Cave Creek)
Gladly (mostly for the whiskey selection)
Bitter & Twisted (drinks)
Tarbell's
Beckett's Table (sometimes, depends on menu)
Crudo (bar is casual, same menu)
Vincent's
La Petite Maison
Different Pointe of View (food is so-so, but generically fancy, view is great)
Yasu Sushi

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

Lalibela is great.

For fancy (and generally good), see also:

That looks good, Evol and Arb, feel free to join us it's on me feel free to bring your significant others.

PM me for a day that works for the best of you. I was thinking Wednesday 3rd.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Does anyone here use FSO comms in production? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-space_optical_communication

A job I used to work at used it, and I'm considering it right now. Part of our company is moving across the street to another office building with line of sight. Our building only has Verizon and they have Comcast, so I'm thinking of proposing we both double our bandwidth then make an FSO link to each other, so we both have a backup if either ISP has an outage.

Edit: I'm seeing some have hybrid laser and RF for the rare occasions when heavy fog/snow would attenuate the laser.

Why wouldn't you just use a regular wireless bridge? Ubiquiti makes great stuff for this application, and you can get a pair of NanoStations for like $100.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Leadership was talking about their visit there a while back. Apparently the detachment office has a hole the size of a dryer in the side of the building that was fixed with some plywood being nailed up half-assed to (mostly) cover it. Equipment needs to be fumigated weekly to get rid of all the bugs, and not a day doesn't go by when someone doesn't try to kill the ever-present mice wandering the floor. Water drips from the ceiling, and the carpeting is so stained that mold has set in and the smell is atrocious.

Thanks, but I'll take lovely hours over that any day.

I don't know what building that is, but there are so many on Scott AFB. I know our building been way undersized but the new one is almost complete and everyone is scheduled to move April/May 2015.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

:yotj:

After a fun little adventure with internet friends tossing CVs to recruiters, phone screens, being flown in to SF by one company and flown back to Mexico by another, 5-6 hour long interviews with whiteboard coding, I've finally landed a new gig. I'll moving from Stockholm to San Francisco to run servers for a well-known startup in February.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Che Delilas posted:

Nah man, it's just a really common thing in the development world. Decision-makers find out that you can get code written for a tiny fraction of what you'd pay for a local developer, so after they get done drooling all over their keyboards, they jump on it. What they don't understand is that what they're paying for from local develoeprs is education, experience and passion, the last of which drives us to actively improve our skills and understanding of the craft.

So they get their application for a song. Except it looks a little rough, and it doesn't do everything it should (at least, not all the time), and everyone who starts using it hates it. The company has to pay more to the outsourcing company to fix things, and some things will get fixed and other things will break. Maybe the outsourcing company starts taking longer and longer to respond to problems (oh and since they're literally on the opposite side of the world, there is no real-time communication of any kind, so every tiny issue and question/answer session takes days or weeks instead of hours). If the software is important enough, maybe you have to hire more techs to support it and continuously un-gently caress databases the program touches or documents it creates. Man, this cheap program sure got expensive, didn't it?

I don't know why "you get what you pay for" is such a hard lesson for companies to retain, but they seem to have to re-learn it for any new situation they encounter.

I call it penny wise and pound foolish, they can easily see the short term savings and since no one thinks out further than a couple quarters the ultimate cost down the line will be someone else's problem.

We're currently dealing with a problem caused by that mindset. We manage guest internet access at Hotels. 4-5 years back sales was trying to get a contract with a tightwad management company so they convinced our Network Engineering department to approve some DLINK products (we generally work with Cisco) also someone had the amazing idea that putting access points on DSL distribution.

Now we've got Dlinks that are failing left and right due to the shoddy capacitors they used and we're slowly replacing them with Cisco gear since the DLINK hardware is EOL, at our expense. So in order to get a little business at the time they're costing us a fortune in support costs and "free upgrades". All that work we spend on them and they still have crappy service that hurts our corporate reputation because the technological solution was crap to begin with and relies heavily on old crappy infrastructure.

Of course the people who approved all that nonsense are long gone to other positions so don't have to pay the for the consequences of their decisions.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
There's no line item for "Money saved on service/support" thus people will do whatever they can to lower their initial outlay. This is a mathematical constant even if the cost of equipment failure is the loss of their entire business.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

luminalflux posted:

:yotj:

After a fun little adventure with internet friends tossing CVs to recruiters, phone screens, being flown in to SF by one company and flown back to Mexico by another, 5-6 hour long interviews with whiteboard coding, I've finally landed a new gig. I'll moving from Stockholm to San Francisco to run servers for a well-known startup in February.

:yotj: congrats you!

Content: I'm so frustrated with my boss's standards with hiring. I wish darkhelmut were local so I could sit them down together and talk this out. We need our empty spot filled already.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Misogynist posted:

10x traffic spike from Tumblr ruined my Sunday. How's everyone else doing?

As an image/video host, the day all those celebrity nudes leaked a few months back was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Che Delilas posted:

Nah man, it's just a really common thing in the development world. Decision-makers find out that you can get code written for a tiny fraction of what you'd pay for a local developer, so after they get done drooling all over their keyboards, they jump on it. What they don't understand is that what they're paying for from local develoeprs is education, experience and passion, the last of which drives us to actively improve our skills and understanding of the craft.

So they get their application for a song. Except it looks a little rough, and it doesn't do everything it should (at least, not all the time), and everyone who starts using it hates it. The company has to pay more to the outsourcing company to fix things, and some things will get fixed and other things will break. Maybe the outsourcing company starts taking longer and longer to respond to problems (oh and since they're literally on the opposite side of the world, there is no real-time communication of any kind, so every tiny issue and question/answer session takes days or weeks instead of hours). If the software is important enough, maybe you have to hire more techs to support it and continuously un-gently caress databases the program touches or documents it creates. Man, this cheap program sure got expensive, didn't it?

I don't know why "you get what you pay for" is such a hard lesson for companies to retain, but they seem to have to re-learn it for any new situation they encounter.

Just FYI you iced my coveted "poster of the week" with this post and several others equally as insightful.