Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The AI was pretty poo poo in 2k13 in general, tbqh. No fight in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Tato posted:

This is pretty much what happens almost every time an annual sports franchise moves up to the new generation of consoles. I remember Smackdown vs Raw 2007 ditching a lot of modes, having a very small roster, and being pretty horrible as far as the match mechanics worked. They slowly added things back and improved it again year by year. The new NHL game is apparently missing a ton of poo poo and EA tried to pull a "Oh, we didn't know you guys wanted all this content we cut out."

Pretty disingenuous to do it at the last minute and act all "Gee golly guys, we really meant to do this and tell you but we were just working so hard on this game that went gold weeks ago" about it though.
Yea pretty much this. It's been 9 years since the last console generation turnover and it's easy to forget how much the jump saps out of developers' efforts (and this jump seems to be more drastic than the last one). There's typically a buffer of about 2 years before mid-level devs adapt and get their poo poo together. Yearly franchises aren't exempted from that.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Basic Chunnel posted:

The AI was pretty poo poo in 2k13 in general, tbqh. No fight in it.

Yeah it was super easy to squash no matter what, no fun.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yea pretty much this. It's been 9 years since the last console generation turnover and it's easy to forget how much the jump saps out of developers' efforts (and this jump seems to be more drastic than the last one). There's typically a buffer of about 2 years before mid-level devs adapt and get their poo poo together. Yearly franchises aren't exempted from that.

it's actually worse for yearly franchises because they have a much shorter development time to work with, especially when making a generational leap because they have to do a lot of work on their game engines to meet the new visual standards. this is basically what I fully expected from 2k15 and I would guess people will be a lot happier with next year's release.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I never noticed the 'no 2 count" glitch in 2K13... I probably didn't play it as much as some of you though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Astro7x posted:

I never noticed the 'no 2 count" glitch in 2K13... I probably didn't play it as much as some of you though.

I didn't really notice it either until it was pointed out to me, then the game was kinda ruined for me.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

triplexpac posted:

I didn't really notice it either until it was pointed out to me, then the game was kinda ruined for me.

Same here, I never actually kinda paid attention to it but once it was pointed out, I could never un-see it.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Goddamnit, the one WWE game that might end up on PC is the one that takes out 90% of the creation features. That's pretty much the only reason I play these stupid games!

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Goddamnit, the one WWE game that might end up on PC is the one that takes out 90% of the creation features. That's pretty much the only reason I play these stupid games!

As long as someone makes some decent modding tools, it should still be alright. That's shady as hell to wait until a week before release to announce that most of the features have been cut, though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Regrettable posted:

As long as someone makes some decent modding tools, it should still be alright. That's shady as hell to wait until a week before release to announce that most of the features have been cut, though.

I wouldn't be shocked if they were trying to cram a bunch of stuff into a day-one title update (hence not saying one way or the other if the features were in) but finally threw up their hands and said, "gently caress it, we'll do it next year."

At least they came out and said something. THQ would have gone on Twitter and said that removing all the creation modes was actually a feature aimed at ensuring players' focus is on the in-ring gameplay so they could appreciate all the small tweaks.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
There's no excusing this or shrugging it off when they already announced, months ago, a big DLC plan. You don't list a season pass—which doesn't cover all the content—and a bunch of other DLC packages and then say "oh we didn't have time to include basic features, sorrylol."

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Oh well. I guess it kind of sucks you can't do those few things I'd never do. Sounds to me like they're rebuilding things and that sometimes mean features come and go. This doesn't excuse it and I understand this being a deal breaker for someone else, but at least they came forward before the game was out.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
So it looks like it has a career mode, um you can edit wrestlers, just the men. 25 caw slots and uh I dunno, you guys think tag matches or just singles? Maybe this year they let us have tag matches and next year's upgrade will allow tornado tags. The list of features the game will have seems smaller than the list of DLC you can buy.

Edit: has anyone seen an in game Caw on new gen yet? Can't wait to see if they still look like cartoons next to the actual roster.

Astro7x posted:

It's not like they are taking out match types like cage matches or the royal rumble or whatever.

Do we know that? Has a list of match types been released?

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 12, 2014

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Timby posted:

At least they came out and said something. THQ would have gone on Twitter and said that removing all the creation modes was actually a feature aimed at ensuring players' focus is on the in-ring gameplay so they could appreciate all the small tweaks.

I forget what was said exactly, but the reasoning for removing the Nitro arena was bullshit considering it was completely done.

pressedbunny posted:

There's no excusing this or shrugging it off when they already announced, months ago, a big DLC plan. You don't list a season pass—which doesn't cover all the content—and a bunch of other DLC packages and then say "oh we didn't have time to include basic features, sorrylol."

I never touch these modes, but I can see how some people enjoy them. That said , wouldn't call them 'basic features' by any means. It's not like they are taking out match types like cage matches or the royal rumble or whatever.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Edit: has anyone seen an in game Caw on new gen yet? Can't wait to see if they still look like cartoons next to the actual roster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohHzKyT4hVg

posted in this thread when the vid came out originally.

at least "oh my god this first game on a new console is not all steps forward!" is more entertaining to read through than pavlovian card chat

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Astro7x posted:

I never touch these modes, but I can see how some people enjoy them. That said , wouldn't call them 'basic features' by any means. It's not like they are taking out match types like cage matches or the royal rumble or whatever.
When they're things that have been in every game for the last however many years, I'd call them basic features. Especially the ability to make female CAWs; that's been available since Smackdown! Know Your Role and any amount of reduction in the CAW system should be unacceptable.

The bigger point, though, is that even if you don't use these things yourself, you must surely realise the utter stupidity of them saying they didn't have time to include features from past games but they did, THANK GOD, have time to make $60 of DLC + pre-order bonus + a collector's edition of the game.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
poo poo, someone get bill from marketing onto the tech team. Can't have him waste his time on packaging and getting Hulk to sign stuff, he needs to be working on create a story instead!

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
When you're in a rushed development cycle, you drat well bet your rear end you're going to get the extra money makers ready before lower priorities. You want to keep your job, don't you?

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

triplexpac posted:

Has anyone spent any money on Supercard?

I play it a ton and wouldn't mind sending the devs some money, but drat their price points are unappealing. It would be like $10 just to MAYBE get an Epic card, but most likely get an Ultra Rare that I absolutely don't need. No thanks!

And forget about paying $25 for an Epic, cause I know I won't get the Legendary.

I haven't bought a thing on Supercard, except for when I inexplicably had store credit in my account after one of their maintenance outages. They probably get plenty of income from the top finishers buying title matches in the People's Champion Challenge alone, though.

EDIT:
Looks like a new card tier and changes to the current KOTR reward structure are coming soon:

interpunct fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 12, 2014

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Forgot I had watched that video, which doesn't have caws next to actual roster, just caws with shirts that look painted on and the subtle message of "we needed to use photoshop cause this creation suite ain't cutting it"

And I'm willing to give a benefit of the doubt to "its a new gen" but this is Yukes we're talking about and despite the inclusion of the 2k name this is still the same old yukes complete with their track record of one step forward two steps back. Oh well, maybe my local redboxes will get a copy. For a long time I was in the "just want a new gen wrestling game take my money" camp. But no, I am not going to reward their continuing the same mediocre crap they do every year.

TLDR version of my bitching: of course the once every 7 years I think I'm gonna buy a wrestling game they remove the ability to give a title belt a dumb name.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 12, 2014

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
don't get me wrong, i'm excited to be disappointed in ways that only yukes can manage, but i'm honestly not shocked, and personally not bothered since i never used most of that crap anyway, that that kind of stuff would be cut first

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Daniel Bryan posted:

Oh well. I guess it kind of sucks you can't do those few things I'd never do. Sounds to me like they're rebuilding things and that sometimes mean features come and go. This doesn't excuse it and I understand this being a deal breaker for someone else, but at least they came forward before the game was out.

They only waited a week from release to announce it and features like this are typically implemented much earlier in the development cycle so they have time to bug test. I doubt they just now realized they couldn't implement them.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
It is Yukes, yes. I don't like Yukes as much as the next guy.

But, this is Yukes also working with a new platform and with a new publisher for essentially the first time. 2K14 was a THQ game with 2K.jpg replacing THQ.jpg where needed. 2K may have different expectations or goals for the games that we don't know about.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Unless you work for 2K there is no reason to be trying to excuse them or explain it away. The things like creation modes truly are not things that are tackled late into development; this is stuff that would have been cut early on and they simply knew to keep quiet about it until the very last second they had.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The "no Diva CAWs" really does seem like a dramatic element missing and something I'd certainly consider a "basic feature." I mean, I get that a lot of people have probably never created a Diva so don't care but I wouldn't have even considered that option missing if I was thinking about buying the game.

I mean, I'm not considering it because I don't have a new generation console and don't have much desire or inclination to buy one at this time. But if I did I wouldn't have even thought to ask "Can I make male AND female CAWs"?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's not so bad, at least this time I wont be playing the game for a week before it sets in just how disappointing it is.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
btw, mod support is almost definitely going to be terrible. Fan-made mods will be crazier than the devs will think but will still be insanely limited, and major missing features aren't going to get re-implemented in anything resembling a timely fashion (if at all.) Don't get your hopes up. PC modding is going to be texture injections, music replacements, cheat patches, and MAYBE some actual behind-the-scenes number changing stuff. Everything that has a crazy miraculous modding scene right now either had a dedicated fanbase for upwards of 5 years and/or modding tools/documentation from the developers right from the start.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm willing to forgive it all if the gameplay itself actually turns out to be the most forward direction a WWE game has seen in a decade.

I mean, I somehow got all of that time out of Def Jam Vendetta and Fight for NY, right...

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

LvK posted:

btw, mod support is almost definitely going to be terrible. Fan-made mods will be crazier than the devs will think but will still be insanely limited, and major missing features aren't going to get re-implemented in anything resembling a timely fashion (if at all.) Don't get your hopes up. PC modding is going to be texture injections, music replacements, cheat patches, and MAYBE some actual behind-the-scenes number changing stuff. Everything that has a crazy miraculous modding scene right now either had a dedicated fanbase for upwards of 5 years and/or modding tools/documentation from the developers right from the start.

Street Fighter 4 had modding tools and mods less than a month after it came out on pc. Most of the mods are skins and backgrounds but there are character models and animation sets as well. It was out on consoles for almost a year before that, though.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

LvK posted:

I've been saying from the start as someone with experience modding games for people to temper their expectations of what kind mods will be possible

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

I've been saying from the start as someone with experience modding games for people to temper their expectations of what kind mods will be possible

I know new textures and small gameplay changes are all you can really do to mod most games but I'm being cautiously optimistic. I think there's a good community for it just based on the amount of time and effort people are willing to put into making caws but we'll have to see if it's even plausible to do anything beyond very basic mods first.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Regrettable posted:

Street Fighter 4 had modding tools and mods less than a month after it came out on pc. Most of the mods are skins and backgrounds but there are character models and animation sets as well. It was out on consoles for almost a year before that, though.

Those were almost entirely texture overwrites, and I don't remember any actual animation mods as much as I remember people just going "btw does anyone know how to mod animations???" Certainly no new characters from scratch, or anything.

I could be wrong, but SFIV's tools were pretty much only ever good for turning Fei Long into Spider-Man and Ibuki into Bible Black.

Don't get your hopes up for WWE.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

LvK posted:

Those were almost entirely texture overwrites, and I don't remember any actual animation mods as much as I remember people just going "btw does anyone know how to mod animations???" Certainly no new characters from scratch, or anything.

I could be wrong, but SFIV's tools were pretty much only ever good for turning Fei Long into Spider-Man and Ibuki into Bible Black.

Don't get your hopes up for WWE.

Oh, it's definitely possible. I have all the tools on my pc. I tried editing some of the character models myself but the skeletons are pretty complex and the game is very picky about polygon count for characters so it's a huge hassle. I think that's why 95% of the mods are just textures.

e: Also, the models have to be fixed every time they release a new version of the game so it's not that surprising that the few who bothered with it haven't continued to make more.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 12, 2014

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
The amount of bullshit mediocrity people are willing to tolerate in these games is pretty hilarious.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

OctoberCountry posted:

The amount of bullshit mediocrity people are willing to tolerate in these games is pretty hilarious.

As that other guy said: It's the perfect WWE game, then?

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
It doesn't matter how well a given match plays if everything surrounding it has been utterly butchered. You can't have a "perfect" WWE game with so much taken out. You wouldn't tolerate a racing game that perfectly simulates real driving but only features two tracks or just has the same one song on loop or whatever. When you're being asked to hand over $60 for a game and then also strongarmed into dropping another $60 or so on DLC, everything better be A) complete and B) flawless. We already know they've dropped the ball on A and if the demo build I got my hands on is any indication, they're not hitting B, either.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Create-An-Arena - Only used for creating zack ryder arena with zack ryder posters everywhere
Custom Divas - who cares, I dont think I played a single diva match unless forced to by a story mode
Create-a-Championship - one of the worst features Ive ever seen
Story Designer - seemed ok but needed a massive overhaul. I'd rather them take it out and work on it than release the last feww versions

I'm not bothered by the losses of any of these

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kia39QKsSSo

Mark Henry

Adrian Neville

and Jimmy Wang Yang Entrances

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

simosimo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kia39QKsSSo

Mark Henry

Adrian Neville

and Jimmy Wang Yang Entrances

The Mark Henry one looks quite realistic thats probably due to how emotionless Mark Henry normally is on TV.

This trailer has also reminded me just how awesome the NXT and NXT womens belts are over the actual WWE belts.

A bit upset I can't create my Diva champion Big Tits Mcgee but to be honest not upset enough to not buy the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

the character models really do look great this year, I just hope the other aspects of the presentation catch up in future releases. like the commentary is still just inexcusably bad considering how far it's come in other sports games.