Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh, dear god. My sister went to an Asian buffet two years ago, and told me they were actually serving sushi filled with sausage. According to her it was the most disgusting thing ever.
I had bacon sushi in a restaurant in Birmingham, AL several years ago, long before the bacon boom even began, much less wore out its welcome. It actually looked appetizing and was smoky and delicious (and not raw). They don't seem to have it anymore. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Desperado Bones posted:

Oh, dear god. My sister went to an Asian buffet two years ago, and told me they were actually serving sushi filled with sausage. According to her it was the most disgusting thing ever.

Probably wouldn't have been if she was a seppo. They're use to that crap judging by this thread :v:

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 16:11 on Nov 11, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

bringmyfishback posted:

Oh, of course they are. Right on.

Here, taste the True America that is Paula Deen's Snow Ice Cream:

Ingredients:

Snow
Condensed milk
Vanilla extract

Sounds like something I would have made while bored and rummaging through my mom's pantry as a kid. And promptly gotten in trouble for trying.

This is a pretty classic "sick of being in the cold with my young kids" thing, it is a great way to get kids excited to come inside.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Spam Sushi is the bees loving knees.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Aristophanes posted:

Why would you put marshmallows on sweet potato? :psyduck:

Dillbag posted:

It's an American (southern states?) Thanksgiving thing. A few years ago here in Vancouver some of the local brew pubs put marshmallow-covered yam fries on the menu in the fall because I guess it must be a good idea if the yanks are doing it. They were loving terrible.

bringmyfishback posted:

I enjoyed the irony of someone denigrating Americans and simultaneously not understanding why one might not call a Southerner a "yank."

Also I have never seen the sweet potato/marshmallow combo in real life. Sounds kind of gross.

Look here you bastards roasted marshmallows on sweet potato casserole is delicious and I will not hear your blaspemy :colbert:

Seriously, it's not like they're regular potatoes. Sweet potatoes are sweet, and basically can be used as a dessert.

EDIT: VVV I always thought it was a pretty common Thanksgiving side-dish throughout the country. Also I'm pretty surprised to hear that it apparently sounds gross.

Also admittedly yam fries with marhsmallows probably wouldn't be good. But sweet potato as a casserole with brown sugar and marshmallows is amazing and perfect.

Hammurabi has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Nov 11, 2014

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
How sheltered of an American are you if you've never heard of marshmallows on sweet potatoes?

Or, rather I could ask, I guess, how regional of a dish is this? My own family (Pennsylvania) doesn't make them this way, but it's a very common Thanksgiving side-dish in these parts.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sweet potatoes with butter and salt is delicious. Sweet potatoes with gobs of whipped sugar thrown on top to make it even more sweet is gross. My family used to always have it and I always felt bad because it took the space of a potentially good side...like succotash.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My mom always made mashed sweet potatoes at thanksgiving. Add some cinnamon, and if you must sweeten it, use some diced orange or maybe maybe brown sugar.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Rabbit Hill posted:

How sheltered of an American are you if you've never heard of marshmallows on sweet potatoes?

Or, rather I could ask, I guess, how regional of a dish is this? My own family (Pennsylvania) doesn't make them this way, but it's a very common Thanksgiving side-dish in these parts.

I've lived on both coasts and I've probably heard the words "sweet potato casserole" at some point but it was never served at Thanksgiving by either the CT or CA sides so I ignorantly thought it wasn't a dessert with marshmallows.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Mashed sweet potatoes topped with crumbled granola are far superior.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

My dirt farming west Texas side of the family does the marshmallows over sweet potatoes thing. It's a poor-man's meringue, has been mentioned before.

You'll also see marshmallows on toothpicks on cakes, but that's to keep the tin foil/plastic wrap from getting on to the frosting.

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes

Chantilly Say posted:

I've lived on both coasts and I've probably heard the words "sweet potato casserole" at some point but it was never served at Thanksgiving by either the CT or CA sides so I ignorantly thought it wasn't a dessert with marshmallows.

Well there's the problem. Coasts. I live in Oklahoma and it's been a staple at thanksgiving every year. Granted it was brought by the person who also insisted on some weird jello with pretzels "salad" from the 70's

Tiamat
Jul 25, 2008

yer a wizard, harry
my husband's family makes sweet potato casserole every year for Thanksgiving and they're from CA/NY

meanwhile i'm from the midwest and had never heard of it until i met him

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Here in the Pacific Northwest marshmallows are illegal and they'll keelhaul you for it if they find out you're part of the marshmallow underground (the white lamps).

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Is this some sort of racial slur that I just haven't heard before or something?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

poop dood posted:

Is this some sort of racial slur that I just haven't heard before or something?
Seppo = Septic Tank = Yank

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

John Big Booty posted:

Seppo = Septic Tank = Yank

I will never, ever, ever understand cockney.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

citybeatnik posted:

My dirt farming west Texas side of the family does the marshmallows over sweet potatoes thing. It's a poor-man's meringue, has been mentioned before.

Are marshmallows cheaper than egg whites and sugar? Isn't it rather a lazy and tasteless man's meringue?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

DekeThornton posted:

Are marshmallows cheaper than egg whites and sugar? Isn't it rather a lazy and tasteless man's meringue?

Slightly cheaper perhaps but certainly faster. Could be a result of WW2 rationing as well as not everyone having an electric mixer/good oven/the right climate to not have it spontaneously deflate/melt.

When you've spent the last few weeks making sure that the cotton's been planted in time, you kind of stop giving a poo poo about how tasteless something is.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I've grown up in Illinois and we have the sweet potatoes with marshmallows every Thanksgiving, and it is delicious. :colbert:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sex Hobbit posted:

I've grown up in Illinois and we have the sweet potatoes with marshmallows every Thanksgiving, and it is delicious. :colbert:

I think it's awful but that is a requirement to Thanksgiving in Michigan, Illinois AND Wisconsin. Much like you have cranberry sauce, there is *always* sweet potato casserole.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

KakerMix posted:

I think it's awful but that is a requirement to Thanksgiving in Michigan, Illinois AND Wisconsin. Much like you have cranberry sauce, there is *always* sweet potato casserole.
poo poo, I guess I can expect a visit from the Thanksgiving Police this year at our family meal in metro Detroit. :ohdear: Do I have to tell them we've never had sweet potato casserole, or will that just make my punishment worse?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Hirayuki posted:

poo poo, I guess I can expect a visit from the Thanksgiving Police this year at our family meal in metro Detroit. :ohdear: Do I have to tell them we've never had sweet potato casserole, or will that just make my punishment worse?

Your punishment will be to eat a whole sweet potato casserole by yourself.

May god have mercy upon your soul.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Sex Hobbit posted:

So do we, and it's the best. It's delicious and good.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Sweet potato casserole owns with tons of marshmallows and you're a bad person if you think otherwise.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
Is it ever eaten outside of Thanksgiving? Not being anywhere near America I'd never heard of it. Apparently pumpkin pie is sweet as well??!?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Is it ever eaten outside of Thanksgiving? Not being anywhere near America I'd never heard of it. Apparently pumpkin pie is sweet as well??!?

Nope. And yeah, pumpkin pie is sweet. It's pie.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Also pumpkins are naturally a bit sweet

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sex Hobbit posted:

Chicken pot pie should not be sweet. It may be sweeeeeet like early 90's slang, but not sweet like all "true" pies.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Solice Kirsk posted:

Chicken pot pie should not be sweet. It may be sweeeeeet like early 90's slang, but not sweet like all "true" pies.

Yeah but chicken pot pie is not a dessert pie like pumpkin pie is.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I hadn't heard of the marshmallow sweet potato thing until I was an adult, and thought it sounded disgusting until I tried it. It's really good, although next time I make it I might try the meringue idea.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Oh, hey, sweet potatoes and marshmallow. I'd never heard of it growing up on the West Coast, but my mom's boyfriend introduced this recipe to us one time. I don't think he remembered it very well though.

That's a lukewarm slurry of canned yams and marshmallows. And the darkish part in the center is shiitake mushrooms, because ???????

Needless to say, nobody ate any.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

The Midniter posted:

I will never, ever, ever understand cockney.

It's not cockney, it's classic Strine.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Squarely Circle posted:

Oh, hey, sweet potatoes and marshmallow. I'd never heard of it growing up on the West Coast, but my mom's boyfriend introduced this recipe to us one time. I don't think he remembered it very well though.

That's a lukewarm slurry of canned yams and marshmallows. And the darkish part in the center is shiitake mushrooms, because ???????

Needless to say, nobody ate any.

Ah yes, from the classic cookbook "Cooking With Mr Creosote".

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Sex Hobbit posted:

Meat pies, shepherd's pie, spinach and ricotta pie...

The only sweet pie I've had is apple, and pumpkin is a vegetable. I thought it was yet another side dish for ages.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

To most Americans who haven't had a lot of global exposure or culinary curiosity, the concept of a "meat pie" sounds ridiculous. ("Chicken pot pie" is a weird kind of novelty exception.)

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

The only sweet pie I've had is apple, and pumpkin is a vegetable. I thought it was yet another side dish for ages.

I'm now trying to picture Starbucks releasing a savory pumpkin spice latte.

It's mildly loving hilarious.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Data Graham posted:

To most Americans who haven't had a lot of global exposure or culinary curiosity, the concept of a "meat pie" sounds ridiculous. ("Chicken pot pie" is a weird kind of novelty exception.)

Which is odd because we commonly eat quiches (a pie made with eggs, cheese, and veggies) and are the home of the deep-dish pizza (a pie made with tomato sauce, meat, cheese, and veggies). Like, we're no stranger to savory pies but meat pies is just a phenomenon that is totally alien to us.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Meat pies, shepherd's pie, spinach and ricotta pie...

Pumpkins are a type of gourd, gourds are fruits. Fruits don't always have to be deserts though like avocados, tomatoes, and cucumbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
My entire family is from northshore Massachusetts and I grew up in Vermont and had no idea sweet potato casserole with marshmallows was not a Thanksgiving staple nationwide. I mean we don't make it because my mom & I are the only ones who like sweet potatoes and the marshmallows are a little much for me but I've never met someone who was unfamiliar with it.

• Locked thread