Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I'm not sure why I've suddenly realised this having not seen the film for about 5 years, I'm also not sure it counts as subtle given the subject matter of the film, but during Bruce Almighty while he has God's powers, he commits all of the 7 cardinal sins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

NtotheTC posted:

I'm not sure why I've suddenly realised this having not seen the film for about 5 years, I'm also not sure it counts as subtle given the subject matter of the film, but during Bruce Almighty while he has God's powers, he commits all of the 7 cardinal sins.

It's been a long time since I've seen that. What does he do that would qualify as gluttony, sloth, or wrath?

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
He wraths all up on Steve Carrell.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sloth is selecting all the prayer e-mails and answering them with just a "yes".

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Nov 6, 2014

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm pretty sure the big party counts for both Gluttony and Pride.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

cptInsane0 posted:

He wraths all up on Steve Carrell.

Plus doesn't he throw up bees on a bunch of gang members? Did I dream that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also has one violently penetrated by a monkey.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Rolo posted:

Plus doesn't he throw up bees on a bunch of gang members? Did I dream that?

Don't forget that monkey he summoned to crawl out of (and then back in to) the gang leaders rear end.

edit: beaten :argh:

Dragonstoned has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Nov 9, 2014

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
PYF Subtle Movie Moments: a man who might be Bruce Almighty sinning majestically

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure the big party counts for both Gluttony and Pride.

The bit where he's filling wine glasses from a water jug isn't exactly subtle, but drat if it isn't a nicely executed visual gag, which so many comedies seem to be missing out on lately (or ever)

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
For Interstellar:

Since it just came out, I'm gonna spoiler this, even though it doesn't really spoil anything: Interstellar very much channels 2001. The design of many of the ships, much of the plot, and the latter half is very Kubrickesque

One thing that cracked me up in the theatre (this one does spoil), Toward the end, when Cooper is on the O'Neil cylinder, one of the people mentions that they found the robot in the orbit of Saturn, and then shows said robot looking like the 2001 obelesks

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I like how matthew mcconaughey's character is an inverse of the one he played in Dazed and Confused

KoB
May 1, 2009

ducttape posted:

robot looking like the 2001 obelesks

I mean, theyre meant to evoke that from the very beginning.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

amityville anus posted:

I like how matthew mcconaughey's character is an inverse of the one he played in Dazed and Confused

Instead of loving school girls he hates a school teacher?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

Instead of loving school girls he hates a school teacher?

I think it's a joke about relativity where they all get older and he stays the same age?

e: saw the movie this evening and you were right. I think we were all supposed to hate her but I just felt sorry for her.

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 09:42 on Nov 11, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
TV example, from Doctor Who's season finale. It's right at the episode's opening, so it's not really a spoiler.

The episode opens with the Doctor's current companion, Clara Oswald, trying to argue a Cyberman into sparing her. She resorts to trying to convince it that she's mroe useful alive than dead, she tries to drop the biggest bombshell possible: Clara never existed, she's been the Doctor this whole time!

Cut to the opening credits... which credit Jenna Coleman over Peter Capaldi.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Man between that and Missy Moffat is really trying to prime the audience into accepting the idea of a Female Doctor in upcoming seasons isn't he? I mean I'm 100% down with that but it's like "just shut the gently caress up and do it and stop trying to subtly normalize it."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Just get Joanna Lumley on board. It'll be great.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

LoonShia posted:

Just get Joanna Lumley on board. It'll be great.

I'd watch dr who if there was a detachment of gurkhas on the tardis

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Cleretic posted:

TV example, from Doctor Who's season finale. It's right at the episode's opening, so it's not really a spoiler.

The episode opens with the Doctor's current companion, Clara Oswald, trying to argue a Cyberman into sparing her. She resorts to trying to convince it that she's mroe useful alive than dead, she tries to drop the biggest bombshell possible: Clara never existed, she's been the Doctor this whole time!

Cut to the opening credits... which credit Jenna Coleman over Peter Capaldi.

Jenna's eyes also flash over the screen at the end instead of Capaldi's. I noticed that first, then on a second watch, noticed the billing order changed.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

mind the walrus posted:

Man between that and Missy Moffat is really trying to prime the audience into accepting the idea of a Female Doctor in upcoming seasons isn't he? I mean I'm 100% down with that but it's like "just shut the gently caress up and do it and stop trying to subtly normalize it."

He has to subtly normalize because there are a bunch of nerds who are resistant to the idea of a Doctor who's a woman.

And its not like it'll be relevant for a year or two anyway, unless Capaldi plans on cutting out quickly like Eccleston.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

At this point I kind of doubt it. Isn't the Dr. Who fanbase like 75% women by now?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ignite Memories posted:

At this point I kind of doubt it. Isn't the Dr. Who fanbase like 75% women by now?

I think that's because they wanna bone the doctor.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

And there exists zero reason why The Doctor can't be a woman or any other race for that matter. Well, maybe the limiting factor that he only regenerates under duress and cannot focus on the change.
Didn't the Time Lords also force his regenerations to be random as punishment? I know the canon is pliable but what rules are still in play?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Len posted:

I think that's because they wanna bone the doctor.

Well just make the companion a handsome british fellow. Or a british fellow who looks like a loving caveman, they don't seem to care.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

Inzombiac posted:

And there exists zero reason why The Doctor can't be a woman or any other race for that matter. Well, maybe the limiting factor that he only regenerates under duress and cannot focus on the change.
Didn't the Time Lords also force his regenerations to be random as punishment? I know the canon is pliable but what rules are still in play?

He's (She's? It's? :v:) been given a brand new set of regenerations now, so how long is a piece of string?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

hazza posted:

how long is a piece of string?

That only works if you know where the ends and middle are! :pseudo:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

hazza posted:

He's (She's? It's? :v:) been given a brand new set of regenerations now, so how long is a piece of string?

It's a whole new set of 12? I thought the magic Time dust was just another charge. I guess it is never explicitly stated.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I have never been more bored in my life

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Dragonstoned posted:

Don't forget that monkey he summoned to crawl out of (and then back in to) the gang leaders rear end.

The expression on this guys face during this scene is so Brucedamned perfect :allears:

Another one that took me way too long to catch is when he is in the restaurant after gaining his powers and he parts the tomato soup.

Moses parted the red sea and the tomato soup is red. I have no idea why I didn't get that on first viewing.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Inzombiac posted:

It's a whole new set of 12? I thought the magic Time dust was just another charge. I guess it is never explicitly stated.

River Song gave up all their regenerations to save The Doctor's life.

Basically, the arbitrary limit of 12 regenerations is irrelevant now because he's (often) last of the time lords so who's going to stop him?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Everyone knew the arbitrary limitation of 12 or so regenerations was bullshit when he went into his 11th incarnation more popular than ever. It didn't matter how they did it, everyone knew they were going to work around that little bit of canon from like 1968 or 1983 or when the gently caress ever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He also straight up says in this new season he has no idea if there is a limit on this new set of regenerations or not or if he'll just keep on going forever (barring the odd 20 year gap in profitability to the BBC).

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ignite Memories posted:

Well just make the companion a handsome british fellow. Or a british fellow who looks like a loving caveman, they don't seem to care.

Yeah the current tumblr heartthrob Benedict Cumberbatch has a face like a sectoid alien from XCOM.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Everyone knew the arbitrary limitation of 12 or so regenerations was bullshit when he went into his 11th incarnation more popular than ever. It didn't matter how they did it, everyone knew they were going to work around that little bit of canon from like 1968 or 1983 or when the gently caress ever.

They knew it during the old series when the Master was just outright given a new set of regenerations by the Time Lords. It was always a resource, not a biological limit.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

They won't, this is the tumblr fanbase we're talking about. At least half of them are into girls, the other half completely support gay rights, you put a hot enough female doctor into the mix and BBC would be converting the remaining heteros quicker than you could even say Cyberman

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Memento posted:

Yeah the current tumblr heartthrob Benedict Cumberbatch has a face like a sectoid alien from XCOM.

He looks like the Grinch when he grins too wide, it's uncanny.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
That give's me an idea for a remake, get Ron Howard on the phone!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

mng posted:

Meet me and I will tell you that it's alright.

Behind the Tastee Freez.

Too subtle even for the subtle movie moments thread. I would have completely missed this without the Generation Kill Av.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
This discussion about Doctor Who sure is interesting. Wait, that's not the word I was looking for. It's the other one. Tedious. There we go.