Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

There's not enough blob monsters in modern horror. Seriously, people just seem to actively avoid the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlItMpGYQTo

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Hah, I remember reading that one back before it was revised, when it was just "giant enigmatic blob of molasses." Well played.

And that has to be the shortest shaggy-dog story I've ever seen.

Alien Arcana has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Nov 3, 2014

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

My favourite, which I can't find again, was like three sentences about a dinosaur fossil with a bullet in it. Very neat and flas-fictionny.

I suppose they jettisonned it or bloated it with TLDR [REDACTED] rape stories.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Arguably:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17O3lL1aUrg

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Anaconda didn't sample the 1-900-MIXALOT line, so it was almost definitely inspired by Baby Got Back.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Oh god, my browser wouldn't pop out the interview, so I couldn't see the punchline. I feel dumb now.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-247 , "a Harmless Kitten".

In this one, the Foundation does actual experiments! With a control group!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Parahexavoctal posted:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-247 , "a Harmless Kitten".

In this one, the Foundation does actual experiments! With a control group!
This slightly bugs me.

quote:

and second, a psychic component which radiates outward from the subject (diminishing according to the inverse square law and reaching half strength at █ meters). Any sentient being within this field comes under the impression that SCP-247 is completely harmless, regardless of prior knowledge or experience. Individuals in this field also show extreme reluctance to harm or allow others to harm SCP-247, even while being actively harmed by the subject. This psychic field can be blocked with SCP-148, or avoided by striking from well outside its effective range.
It says the field "diminishes" according to the inverse square law and reaches "half strength," but the effect appears to be completely binary, either operating fully if you are "within the field" (which would technically be everywhere in the universe, if it obeys inverse square), or doing nothing (?) if you're not. There doesn't appear to be any measurable quantity which could be said to diminish, or to actually establish the rate at which it does so. Functionally, it's just a five meter radius (or whatever) area of effect.

Not really a big deal. Just a vague annoyance.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 10:20 on Nov 5, 2014

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

What was the one SCP that was like a "find the hidden object" game with levels based on the user's past or fears, that eventually forced them into one of the levels?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
The Book of Tamlin.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1590

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

I remember that one. The last log is so so grimdark.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
When even SCP Wiki contributors are calling you out in the comments on how unnecessary grimdark the last "welp, time to send you to get molested forever" log is, you done hosed up.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

AmiYumi posted:

When even SCP Wiki contributors are calling you out in the comments on how unnecessary grimdark the last "welp, time to send you to get molested forever" log is, you done hosed up.

It's a fully nonsensical course of action and therefore patently written for edginess's sake. I laughed out loud.

e: oh but it's by DrBright, so it's actually really good and if you don't like it you're wrong *farts forever*

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

It's a fully nonsensical course of action and therefore patently written for edginess's sake. I laughed out loud.

e: oh but it's by DrBright, so it's actually really good and if you don't like it you're wrong *farts forever*

Stuff by DrBright has been downvoted into oblivion before, you know.

oh, and for the sake of the thread: Flying Farting Sloths.

Parahexavoctal has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Nov 9, 2014

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I was excessively harsh there.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I don't think that was unnecessarily harsh considering that is really loving stupid regardless of who wrote it. "Welp thanks for humoring us and our wacky experiment! Go get raped forever now!"

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

In my headcanon I pretend they all stop existing after the door's shut. Same thing that happens to NPCs when you turn off your computer. The game's already over, after all.

Bright's still a creep though.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

OK, two new ones. :3-J and one of my favorite "memetic" skips, A Key.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Has Truth been posted yet? Because it's great.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Has Truth been posted yet? Because it's great.

Oh, I thought that one would be The Whole Truth.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I remember one time on a Bad SCP From A Higher Up Everyone Upvoted, I made some random comment about this sort of thing after explaining why I didn't like it. Didn't really even think about it after doing it, since it was a footnote to the post. Three weeks later I loaded the site again and noticed someone had sent me a message asking me to respond to the comment I had made, because (as it turns out), a bunch of the other higher-ups were incensed that I said it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

This is so bad. Normally I don't have a problem with the non-Euclidean properties of SCP's items, but this suffers from being too modern and too descriptive. Specifically, the fact that it's only a kilobyte is size, contains the numbers 1 to 66,666 as it's code. I'm no computer scientist, but I'm pretty sure that just those characters typed out would put it over 1 kb. Then there's the description of the game, which is also awful. It's a find the object game, so when it describes a hospital room with the object of finding money for your mom's life support, what actually happens? Is the game render its environments as a 3d area to walk around in, or is it a bunch of static images with drawers to open, keys to find, etc. And when they eventually find a door to the room in real life, does it have the same graphics? Why is it designed specifically for touch-screen devices? Why isn't it just an executable written in an unrecognized code?

I don't know why I'm so frustrated by it, but it's just such a mangled execution of a possibly good idea that I'm typing all these words and I can't stop!

SCP-1590 is a memetic virus disguised as a poorly written SCP entry.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

LawfulWaffle posted:

This is so bad. Normally I don't have a problem with the non-Euclidean properties of SCP's items, but this suffers from being too modern and too descriptive. Specifically, the fact that it's only a kilobyte is size, contains the numbers 1 to 66,666 as it's code. I'm no computer scientist, but I'm pretty sure that just those characters typed out would put it over 1 kb. Then there's the description of the game, which is also awful. It's a find the object game, so when it describes a hospital room with the object of finding money for your mom's life support, what actually happens? Is the game render its environments as a 3d area to walk around in, or is it a bunch of static images with drawers to open, keys to find, etc. And when they eventually find a door to the room in real life, does it have the same graphics? Why is it designed specifically for touch-screen devices? Why isn't it just an executable written in an unrecognized code?

I don't know why I'm so frustrated by it, but it's just such a mangled execution of a possibly good idea that I'm typing all these words and I can't stop!

SCP-1590 is a memetic virus disguised as a poorly written SCP entry.

Yes the problem with this story about the foundation sending an innocent girl to be raped forever is that it doesn't explain why the program is for touch-screen devices.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It runs on iRape.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Does anyone have a link to that thread where someone wanted a program that would automatically write out numerals from 1 to N? There were a lot of hilarious responses, many of them below 1 KB in size.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Chamale posted:

Does anyone have a link to that thread where someone wanted a program that would automatically write out numerals from 1 to N? There were a lot of hilarious responses, many of them below 1 KB in size.

Here. The file he wanted was over 100 gb :v:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Here is 173's less lethal, but somehow creepier, cousin: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-650

Gils posted:

Here. The file he wanted was over 100 gb :v:
:pusheen:
purestrain

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Fuuuuuuuuuuck I can't find it now but my absolute favorite joke SCP was basically a normal 5-year-old boy that the foundation had abducted from his parents. There were a handful of brief experimentation logs, that mostly ended with the kid crying and saying he wanted to go home. I can't find it now though :(

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2718

I don't know if this is the best of Series III, but Jesus Christ. :stare:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ungulateman posted:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2718

I don't know if this is the best of Series III, but Jesus Christ. :stare:

Yeah, cheesy as all hell.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm not techie enough to understand that one well, it's a neat set-up but nothing about it is particularly scary.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm not techie enough to understand that one well, it's a neat set-up but nothing about it is particularly scary.

You didn't get to the end? That "play" link which takes you to a 'transcript of an audio recording' and the line "We must declare human death a Keter SCP and contain it at any cost"?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck I can't find it now but my absolute favorite joke SCP was basically a normal 5-year-old boy that the foundation had abducted from his parents. There were a handful of brief experimentation logs, that mostly ended with the kid crying and saying he wanted to go home. I can't find it now though :(

I think you mean the last item in SCP-5308-J, "the collection".

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Parahexavoctal posted:

You didn't get to the end? That "play" link which takes you to a 'transcript of an audio recording' and the line "We must declare human death a Keter SCP and contain it at any cost"?

I don't see any difference between it and ages and ages of myths about eternal torment in hell for most of humanity.

Also Dr. Who just totally used the concept in the finale. It was just a scam, however.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Parahexavoctal posted:

Oh. I didn't realize that it continued that far down the page. It's pretty good. Pleasantly Lovecraftian.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Parahexavoctal posted:

Yes! Thank you! Link for the lazy: http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-5308-j

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

I don't see any difference between it and ages and ages of myths about eternal torment in hell for most of humanity.

Also Dr. Who just totally used the concept in the finale. It was just a scam, however.

No, you see, hell would be fine. I won't be lonely there, I'm sure I'll see all my friends. :unsmigghh:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Acne Rain posted:

As someone for whom organ donation is a deadly serious topic that should never be ignored, the things these stories infer is deeply troubling. Media are rarely, if ever, what I would call supportive of my particular movement.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-962 , an SCP that likes humanity and wants to help us.

Oh, and http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2731 -- a new kind of hell.

Parahexavoctal has a new favorite as of 14:16 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

https://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1344-j

This one is just so stupid, but it still got a laugh out of me.