Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Yodzilla posted:

That's my aura too.

When things start to get intimate, you've got to tell people you have crabs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

This is actually slightly less bad. Like a bucket of poo poo compared to a bucket of poo poo-vomit on fire.

Those Clannad eyes will haunt me.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

New video on Distance, going into the basic story behind Nitronic Rush, the development of the game and the Kickstarter. Looks like it's gonna be a three-parter and it's possible this might be them building up to the Public Beta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFFxvob2R-o

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Just got an email from the MASSIVE CHALICE kickstarter campaign. Apparently they've decided to send out beta keys to all kickstarter backers, today.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Kenshin posted:

Just got an email from the MASSIVE CHALICE kickstarter campaign. Apparently they've decided to send out beta keys to all kickstarter backers, today.

Yeah. If you haven't gotten an email about it, you can go to your Humble Bundle page to claim it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Like I mentioned in the Adventure megathread, there's going to be a kickstarter for a new Simon the Sorcerer game in the coming weeks. http://www.storybeasts.com/kickstarter/

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Massive Chalice seems good.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

epitasis posted:

It's funny how quiet development's been, really.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Eh, they've had something like a livestream a month, and updates more frequently than that. I found it a good balance between never updating and updating way too often, as many projects do.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

epitasis posted:

Yeah, beside a few bugs and keeping to only two classes at the start, it is quite fun. Enemies are varied and you have to be mindful of your actions. Basically Fantasy X-com with an interesting idea for progression in legacy and relics.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ready-okay-ebook-and-photopia-novel/x/1116821

Adam Cadre, creator of the seminal Interactive Fiction work Photopia, is crowdfunding a novelization of the game, as well as an update of his earlier novel, "Ready, Okay!". The campaign is on Indiegogo and flexible funding, but it's already funded several times over, so it doesn't really matter.

I know this is technically not a video game kickstarter, but I figure it has enough game connections to deserve a mention here.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, beside a few bugs and keeping to only two classes at the start, it is quite fun. Enemies are varied and you have to be mindful of your actions. Basically Fantasy X-com with an interesting idea for progression in legacy and relics.

There are three classes, though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

SimonChris posted:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ready-okay-ebook-and-photopia-novel/x/1116821

Adam Cadre, creator of the seminal Interactive Fiction work Photopia, is crowdfunding a novelization of the game, as well as an update of his earlier novel, "Ready, Okay!". The campaign is on Indiegogo and flexible funding, but it's already funded several times over, so it doesn't really matter.

I know this is technically not a video game kickstarter, but I figure it has enough game connections to deserve a mention here.

Adam Cadre is a fantastic writer/designer, but I have no idea why the gently caress he didn't do a regular-book-price-for-a-book tier.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

senrath posted:

There are three classes, though.

Sure, but at the start all you get are two, as far as I can tell, without research?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Sure, but at the start all you get are two, as far as I can tell, without research?

My starting squad was Two Caberjacks, Two Alchemists, and a Hunter. Maybe it's randomized?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

Adam Cadre is a fantastic writer/designer, but I have no idea why the gently caress he didn't do a regular-book-price-for-a-book tier.

There also doesn't appear to be any way to pledge to get the Photopia novel. I'll probably still donate, but I agree that the campaign could have been a lot better put together.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Great Joe posted:

New video on Distance, going into the basic story behind Nitronic Rush, the development of the game and the Kickstarter. Looks like it's gonna be a three-parter and it's possible this might be them building up to the Public Beta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFFxvob2R-o

The update e-mail suggests they're aiming for an Early Access release by the end of December. It'd be nice to see more of the story content, but I'm not complaining.

I can't see Photopia as a novel. A pretentious student art film, sure, but not a novel.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
For those that didn't hop on Commodore Amiga Book KS, the same preorder offer is up on funstock. I went thru them to get the first KS-backed book, Commodore 64, and had no issues with their service. They have standard and collector's editions it looks like available.

http://www.funstock.co.uk/commodore-amiga-a-visual-commpendium-book

Saphion
Oct 21, 2010
Just spotted the Kickstarter for That Dragon, Cancer.
As someone who lost a parent to cancer the trailer alone brought me to tears. I don't know what was louder; my own sobbing or the sound of my money crashing against the monitor repeatedly.

Of note is the ability to commemorate a loved one in-game through one of the tiers.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Wasn't it that one game that was funded by OUYA's Free The Games fund?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So That Dragon, Cancer is on Kickstarter. It's an adventure game a dad made about his four-year old and their fight with his brain cancer. The gaming sites have been covering the development for years now.

If this doesn't make it, it's going to be awk-ward. (The kid recently died, btw.)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

senrath posted:

My starting squad was Two Caberjacks, Two Alchemists, and a Hunter. Maybe it's randomized?

It is. My starting team was Two Cabers, Two Hunters, and an Alchemist.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yes, that was the game that OUYA managed to tag with the unfortunate "GET SOME" line.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't know if it was funded by that, but Ouya did promote it.

By saying "That dragon, cancer - GET SOME".

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Did they free any games?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Did they free any games?

Towerfall got freed onto platforms people actually play, does that count?

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

Hey so even though I've just been lurking this thread rather than contributing amazing pearls of wisdom, anyone want to take a look at a preview link for our Kickstarter and give some feedback? We're making Hollow Knight, a 2D action-adventure for PC/Mac/Linux.

Preview link here

I don't know much about Kickstarter, or marketing in general really. Luckily the guy I'm working with is an incredible artist, and his work is really strong. If you have a few minutes, take a look! Let me know what you think of the trailer, whether you get a good sense of the game, whether you'd consider pledging etc. Anything really will help! We're kind of winging it on rewards and stuff, just basing it on successful Kickstarters we've seen.

Here's a pic to get you interested enough to click the link (hopefully):

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'd call it something other than "2D adventure". "2D action adventure", perhaps? I opened the page and thought "Huh, is it going to be like The Cave or something? ... Nope, just another metroidvania."

It does look good if you're into that type of games.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
what the world needs is more 2d metroid games with an emphasis on art direction over everything else, I think

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Rocket Ranger: Reloaded has just started up their kickstarter.

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

Arnold of Soissons posted:

what the world needs is more 2d metroid games with an emphasis on art direction over everything else, I think

Haha, oh man. Can't say it isn't a busy genre. We've really been working hard on making the game play really well though, and filling it with actually interesting encounters and secrets etc. I myself always get annoyed with indie games that have a really nice look or central conceit but then kind of phone in the level/enemy design and such. I did focus on the art a lot in the Kickstarter though, because it's much easier to show how good it looks than how well it plays. A lot of attention has gone into the art, but gameplay hasn't been sacrificed in any way... I suppose you can only take my word for it at this point though.

Seriously, as the coder and the designer of much of the gameplay, my greatest fear with this project is that the game I build won't live up to the incredible art. I want the game to be a great GAME, and it's all I'm focused on with this project. Hopefully I can get there. Otherwise, chuck another pretty Metroidvania on the pile I guess? Hehe.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

George Lazenby, looks good so far. The lower pricing tiers are perfectly fine. I'm not so sure about the higher tiers where you can add stuff to the game. Some might be too expensive others too cheap. I would check that. The funding goal for the kickstarter seems nothing out of the ordinary so is probably fine. Maybe some limited early bird tiers should be added.

The trailer should show more varied gameplay and more interactions with NPCs. The text emphasizes both points but I can't see much of it in the trailer.

Generally the environments look too sameish. Why does everything have to be bluish puple? I really got this impression at the part of the trailer where the interconnected, large world is shown.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

Huh, so THAT is why the original game popped up on GoG.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

George Lazenby, looks good so far. The lower pricing tiers are perfectly fine. I'm not so sure about the higher tiers where you can add stuff to the game. Some might be too expensive others too cheap. I would check that. The funding goal for the kickstarter seems nothing out of the ordinary so is probably fine. Maybe some limited early bird tiers should be added.

The trailer should show more varied gameplay and more interactions with NPCs. The text emphasizes both points but I can't see much of it in the trailer.

Generally the environments look too sameish. Why does everything have to be bluish puple? I really got this impression at the part of the trailer where the interconnected, large world is shown.

I agree that if you're doing a Metroidvania you need to vary up the environments to some degree. It's part of what makes the genre fun. I would also try to include something about variety of attacks your character can use because if your options are too simple the game will get a bit tiresome.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Nemo2342 posted:

Man, what an obscure game to bring back. I had the NES version of it, was pretty confusing to me at the time.

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

MaterialConceptual posted:

I agree that if you're doing a Metroidvania you need to vary up the environments to some degree. It's part of what makes the genre fun. I would also try to include something about variety of attacks your character can use because if your options are too simple the game will get a bit tiresome.

Thanks for the feedback, both of you! Good points. We only want to show areas that are fully completed, which makes for a seemingly samey environment true. At the moment your options for attacking are your sword, a few special moves and 3 different spells. Maybe I should look at adding more options to make gameplay more varied. Definitely something I should consider.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

George Lazenby posted:

Thanks for the feedback, both of you! Good points. We only want to show areas that are fully completed, which makes for a seemingly samey environment true. At the moment your options for attacking are your sword, a few special moves and 3 different spells. Maybe I should look at adding more options to make gameplay more varied. Definitely something I should consider.

Do you have environment concept art you could line up to off to show that the end product won't be as samey as it currently is? I mean, you don't want to overfeature concept art, but you can still use it for purposes like that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

George Lazenby posted:

Thanks for the feedback, both of you! Good points. We only want to show areas that are fully completed, which makes for a seemingly samey environment true.
Keep in mind that you, the people putting together the trailer, are in full control over what parts of the not-fully-completed environments people see. Assuming there's enough, you could put together a room out of the completed assets for an area just for the trailer.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

evilmiera posted:

I enjoyed it right up until they gave me a map filled with those big guys that can two shot your heroes, and also get a shell after the first time you hit them in that turn. Can't hit them without revealing a hero from behind cover, can't kill them in one turn, there's two of them in that group so my hero is basically guaranteed to die! As an added bonus, their attacks also penetrate through heroes so if you aren't paying attention, you can lose two heroes to one of their attacks.

I might be an idiot and have missed something about them (maybe the game assumed that I had researched better armor by then?) but after I got total party wiped to just two of those + one other enemy I just quit and figured I'd wait until they'd tweaked the balance a bit more.

Also my starting party was 3 Alchemists, 1 ranger, 1 caberjack, which I thought was kind of dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So The Diviner probably has a 50% chance of coming out, I suspect. Hope they actually manage to get their new writers to write something.