Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Sappo569 posted:

That's probably what I'm going to do, was just wondering why it was being such a pain in the arse.

Any idea on the ARC switched HDMI port acting weird?

No crue unless its some kind of CEC issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sappo569 posted:

That's probably what I'm going to do, was just wondering why it was being such a pain in the arse.

Any idea on the ARC switched HDMI port acting weird?

There isn't some store demo mode turned on is there?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I'm in the market for a low-end HDTV to transition my music room into the DIGITAL E-WORLD to do the following:
- act as a wall-mounted second monitor for my PC to throw up charts, tabs, and ableton live output
- rip my 70's blaxploitation and kung fu movies to the PC and save a ton of space
- do skyping/videochatting with collaborators
- get my xbox out of the living room and in the basement where it belongs

This is not my primary computer or HDTV. I just need the minimum specs and size to adequately handle the above. I ordered a yamaha sound bar so sound is not important although I would like optical in and out so I can run a toslink from the PC and then out from the TV to the soundbar.

3D would be nice but I doubt I can afford it. I have a $300-$500 budget and have been looking at the following 49-50" TVs based on recommendations here:
Samsung PN51F4500
VIZIO M492i-B2p - 448 on 11/15 at Sam's but I don't have a membership
Vizio 50" 1080p 120Hz TVE500I-B1 - 1 in stock refurbished at newegg

The space is small (11'x14') so I was thinking one of the many Black Friday HDTVs would be good.

edit: got the Viso M492i-B2 on the Sam's pre-black friday sale. Hope that wasn't a horrible idea.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 15, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you want a plasma squeeze for the 1080p h5000 or F5300/5350

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I live in Albuquerque which is at around 5,500 feet elevation. Should I consider plazma tvs to be out of the question because of buzzing? I've seen plazma's at stores before and heard nothing but just wanted to know whether or not this should be in consideration.

All these tvs are so :psyduck:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

No one ever wished they had a smaller tv

you should meet my wife

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:Vizio 60" 4k deal is LIVE online now! GO GO GO:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Richard M Nixon posted:

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:Vizio 60" 4k deal is LIVE online now! GO GO GO:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

Per their support, they weren't flipping the processing switch until midnight, which explained my 'unknown' failures when I noticed it went 'live' around :15. 12:01 was too late :suicide:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Out of stock online. Welp, hopefully my local one has it in stock.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason not to get this for $1200? Or is 4K / 3D the price / something else terrible and you would recommend something else instead? I'm planning on keeping this for at about 3-5 years, and I could go higher in budget if needed for something 50-60 inches. The most gaming I do is racing games via the PS3, I could see myself hooking the desktop to it as well for emulation / other games.

I'm planning to wait until Black Friday at the latest for some TV on my list to go on sale, so throw me some models and I'll bite on whatever goes on sale first.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If i had ~$1200 to spend right now id wait for the 60H7150 thats going to be $1300 everywhere.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
That's already only $1338 on Amazon, how much lower will it go?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mozi posted:

That's already only $1338 on Amazon, how much lower will it go?

Like $1299 i think.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Costco is now selling the 60" Vizio 4K TV at Sam's Club's price. They're currently sold out online.

Pahonix
May 29, 2004

Hooked on pahonix workid for meh!
Success at my local Sam's Club! Luckily, I'm on a friend's account who has the Advantage Plus membership, so we were there at 6:45am, got pick tickets #5 and #6 for the P-series TVs.

Now to find some calibration info.

emmetsprogress
Aug 24, 2009
I'm currently looking to upgrade from my 23in monitor/pc to something bigger - but after reading countless reviews I'm no closer to pulling the trigger on anything!

I shall be mainly gaming (so low input lag needed, I understand), watching catch-up TV (BBC iPlayer), with the occasional film. Size-wise, no bigger than 42in to fit onto my current unit. Sound quality doesn't matter as I'll be using an amp. Friends have told me to look at plasma sets, but I understand they can be very reflective? I have skylights that are directly over where the TV will be so it needs to be low reflective. I'm in the UK and my budget is up to £500.

What do you guys suggest I look at?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I wish I could find a nice 25-27" 4K monitor for under $400.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

GreenNight posted:

Yeah I wish I could find a nice 25-27" 4K monitor for under $400.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7e8kaAiI58P8HAQ

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Badger posted:

Is there any reason not to get this for $1200? Or is 4K / 3D the price / something else terrible and you would recommend something else instead? I'm planning on keeping this for at about 3-5 years, and I could go higher in budget if needed for something 50-60 inches. The most gaming I do is racing games via the PS3, I could see myself hooking the desktop to it as well for emulation / other games.

I'm planning to wait until Black Friday at the latest for some TV on my list to go on sale, so throw me some models and I'll bite on whatever goes on sale first.

Building off this, what if I said that 4K was a requirement? The comparative 4K / 1080 models I saw showed a good difference in picture to me, where I'd almost say for ~$1200 I'd go for the 50" or 55" Vizio, even if they never went on sale. What's a good manufacturer of 4K TVs (with and without 3D) that I should keep an eye on?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Pahonix posted:

Success at my local Sam's Club! Luckily, I'm on a friend's account who has the Advantage Plus membership, so we were there at 6:45am, got pick tickets #5 and #6 for the P-series TVs.

Now to find some calibration info.

I talked myself out of getting this because I didn't want to renew my Sams club membership. My wife & I went to Costco and lo-and-behold they had matched Sams price. I got the last very last one. It even qualified for the 59 warranty since it was a dollar under the $1000 limit.

There's a calibration thread on AVSForums. If you find one you like, let me know. I have reset this tv so many times. I first used ZMAD's settings but they were made for the 70 inch. I used some settings for the 60 I found but they were incomplete to me and I got a very greenish tint. I ended up going back to the ZMAD settings for now.

Does anyone have any experience with using a "4k upscaling" blu ray player? Does it make any difference? My only bluray player is a VERY old Sony but it still looks amazing on this tv. If the 4k upscaling blu ray player looks better...I'll buy it immediately.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I caved a signed up for a $40 Membership at Sams Club but it won't be until next week when everything is setup.

Would it look that weird If I had a TV Stand that was too small?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

I talked myself out of getting this because I didn't want to renew my Sams club membership. My wife & I went to Costco and lo-and-behold they had matched Sams price. I got the last very last one. It even qualified for the 59 warranty since it was a dollar under the $1000 limit.

There's a calibration thread on AVSForums. If you find one you like, let me know. I have reset this tv so many times. I first used ZMAD's settings but they were made for the 70 inch. I used some settings for the 60 I found but they were incomplete to me and I got a very greenish tint. I ended up going back to the ZMAD settings for now.

Does anyone have any experience with using a "4k upscaling" blu ray player? Does it make any difference? My only bluray player is a VERY old Sony but it still looks amazing on this tv. If the 4k upscaling blu ray player looks better...I'll buy it immediately.

A 4k TV already upscales everything to 4k. Wait for a true 4k bluray player next year that plays h265 discs.

Also calibrations typically do not carry over between sets. Something like 4% of sets will be calibrated properly from copied settings.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

There are a million calibration guides, is there something of one that's specific to the 60P? Or P-Series in general?

My colors seems a little whitish with the voice lagging and minor artifacting near subtitles.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good list of 4:4:4 chroma subsampling tvs out there somewhere?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tab8715 posted:

There are a million calibration guides, is there something of one that's specific to the 60P? Or P-Series in general?

Don Lapre posted:

Also calibrations typically do not carry over between sets. Something like 4% of sets will be calibrated properly from copied settings.

Are you guys talking about the same thing?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The panels themselves would need to be the same (VA,IPS,etc) but remember that every panel is different. It's a guide not a strict set of rules.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

Are you guys talking about the same thing?

Yes. Basically without a meter your best bet is adjusting brightness contrast and color and contrast. But you need a simple blue filter for color and contrast.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I was seriously considering buying the 60H7150 on Amazon today but after thinking for a long time yesterday went with the PN64H5000. Not as much of a 'deal' maybe but it has features I care about (bigger screen, better picture quality) and lacks those I don't (3D, 'Smart' - a Fire TV Stick will do better for that anyways). And who knows for how much longer it'll be on the market, the 8500 already being pretty much sold out.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mozi posted:

I was seriously considering buying the 60H7150 on Amazon today but after thinking for a long time yesterday went with the PN64H5000. Not as much of a 'deal' maybe but it has features I care about (bigger screen, better picture quality) and lacks those I don't (3D, 'Smart' - a Fire TV Stick will do better for that anyways). And who knows for how much longer it'll be on the market, the 8500 already being pretty much sold out.

This is an excellent choice. Other than brightness and resolution sitting way up close (due to the pentile display) the h5000 will give a better picture in every other way.

edit:

Bestbuy dropped the 60F8500 plasma to $1499 and the 51" to $999

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...s=960&keys=keys

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 16, 2014

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Amazon did too, got $200 from my order.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

I either am a complete philistine (most probable answer) or I must have the most perfect panel in existence on my 60 inch P series Vizio. I've tried every calibration setting I can find but neither my wife or I think they look any better than the standard settings after just adjusting the backlight and brightness on the "Computer" picture mode".

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

suddenlyissoon posted:

I either am a complete philistine (most probable answer) or I must have the most perfect panel in existence on my 60 inch P series Vizio. I've tried every calibration setting I can find but neither my wife or I think they look any better than the standard settings after just adjusting the backlight and brightness on the "Computer" picture mode".

Most people would have a hard time telling differences in color without a reference next to it.

RunawayPantleg
Jul 2, 2007

hhhehehe
So I think I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Samsung UN60H7150 (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55H7150-55-Inch-1080p-240Hz/dp/B00ID2HGP4). They're just about $1000 right now, is there any reason to suspect they will get appreciably cheaper by Black Friday/Cyber Monday? If it's going to be like, 30 bucks then I don't really give a poo poo but if it's going to be a hundred or so less then I'd probably wait.

Also, I live in an apartment and I'm honestly pretty worried about ordering a TV online since I've never ordered anything so large or expensive online. Any useful advice in this area?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

RunawayPantleg posted:

So I think I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Samsung UN60H7150 (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55H7150-55-Inch-1080p-240Hz/dp/B00ID2HGP4). They're just about $1000 right now, is there any reason to suspect they will get appreciably cheaper by Black Friday/Cyber Monday? If it's going to be like, 30 bucks then I don't really give a poo poo but if it's going to be a hundred or so less then I'd probably wait.

Also, I live in an apartment and I'm honestly pretty worried about ordering a TV online since I've never ordered anything so large or expensive online. Any useful advice in this area?

The black Friday ads are all out so you can just look at them.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

RunawayPantleg posted:

A local delivery service will coordinate with you for delivery at a time best for you, and should bring it to where you actually want it set up, as well as test it (power it on) before they leave. Read their paperwork if they don't do that, we had a couple delivered at work recently where they had checked off "refused by customer" on the test part before they even showed up. Those TVs were ordered by one of our clients though, not sure if that's something you specify ahead of time or what.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 17, 2014

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

With all I've heard about how good plasma's picture quality is supposed to be I went to look at one in a store. I know a store will have the tv's calibration all out of whack but I was not prepared for how pixelated the Samsung F5300 looked. It was the 60" model and I could notice the pixels from a pretty fair distance away. This coming from someone who uses a 32" 1080p tv as a monitor so its not like I'm sensitive to the screen door effect. The other thing I noticed was how jerky the motion looked on the tv. They had a demo video playing on all the tv's and one scene had a banner slide in the from side and the plasma looked super jerky.

Everything I've read about plasma's say they're supposed to be the superiority picture quality panel and now is the last chance to get them. I know the F5300 is a step down from the F8500 Samsung's been making and getting praise with. But can someone explain why it may have looked so pixelated and jerky in the store?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The 5300/5350 are pentile displays.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Okay that gave me something to search on which took me to some posts at the avs forums. I'll continue to do some reading on that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Basically it doesn't' have the same amount of subpixels as a regular display. Typically this shouldn't be noticeable at viewing distances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Would it be preferable to have my Vizio (P series 60) upconvert DirecTV from 720p on its own or to have it upconverted to 1080p by my receiver (Yamaha RX-V673) and then allow the tv to upconvert from there. I was thinking that it would be easier/better for the tv to upconvert 1080p.