Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

Well, I can't say this sudden shift to having Santa as the main character isn't interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I assume this story is ending with a reset, because holy poo poo.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Even that recap page is exciting. Nothing else to say other than that it's a great manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bremen posted:

I assume this story is ending with a reset, because holy poo poo.

Yeah, but that can only happen after the primary conflict is resolved rather than as a means of doing so.
Also, Santa being so moved by Touta believing in him makes a lot more sense now, even though Santa wasn't really aware of why at the time.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

ADTRW › UQ Holder: Akamatsu decides Touta's story is only kind of sort of over.

Niel
Mar 5, 2013
Chapter 57's up.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Hot drat. I always love the expressions of power in this manga.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Holy loving poo poo, Sayoko has killed a quarter of a million people? I can't even begin to wrap my mind around that number :psyduck:

Also I love Santa's character right now. His reason for fighting is basically "I hate every last one of you fuckers, but it doesn't mean triggering a zombie apocalypse and killing everybody is right" :allears:

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Mikl posted:

Holy loving poo poo, Sayoko has killed a quarter of a million people? I can't even begin to wrap my mind around that number :psyduck:

She didn't kill them, but more like she gained the power of a quarter of a million suicides. And that's just suicides. No wonder she has so much terrifying power.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Kaja Rainbow posted:

She didn't kill them, but more like she gained the power of a quarter of a million suicides. And that's just suicides. No wonder she has so much terrifying power.

Yeah, she is some sort of gestalt consciousness made of pure hate and despair. Jesus Christ what a horrifying concept. :gonk:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
You know, there's someone who might still be around the area after being released from her previous job, who shouldn't have aged since the previous series, and whose status seems like it would have some relevancy to the powers being thrown around right now... Sayo Aisaka

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

You know, there's someone who might still be around the area after being released from her previous job, who shouldn't have aged since the previous series, and whose status seems like it would have some relevancy to the powers being thrown around right now... Sayo Aisaka

Unless Sayoko already ate her. I mean, lookit the name.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Darth Walrus posted:

Unless Sayoko already ate her. I mean, lookit the name.
Or Sayoko is what Sayo turned into.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sayo is too busy being the eternal right hand lady to the Asakura Space Empire.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
As ghosts go, she isn't terribly plain. But really, do you think Mahora would have turned into such a shitpile that churns out child suicides if any of the cast of negima had stuck around? They were all ridiculously effective at accomplishing pretty much anything they set their minds to.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
This whole arc has been crazy brutal and Sayoko is an extremely effective villain. It's really amazing to me how the less focus there is on Tota the more I enjoy UQ Holder. :allears:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

As ghosts go, she isn't terribly plain. But really, do you think Mahora would have turned into such a shitpile that churns out child suicides if any of the cast of negima had stuck around? They were all ridiculously effective at accomplishing pretty much anything they set their minds to.
To be fair, Mahora had issues even during the Negima story (the volleyball incident springs to mind).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rodyle posted:

Sayo is too busy being the eternal right hand lady to the Asakura Space Empire.
Wasn't she haunting Ryoko specifically, who is probably dead by now? That's what I meant by "released from her previous job."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This is the timeline where Asuna was sealed, but set prior to her waking up. So while Ayaka is definitely still alive, any or all of the other mortal students could be too. They'd just be old ladies, is all.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

This is the timeline where Asuna was sealed

Are you that sure about it? As far as I remember, there is no mention of that.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

InfinityComplex posted:

It makes sense as far as Negi died in that timeline and Negi "died" in this timeline (what's the over/under on that sticking?). But it also assumes that in 40-50ish years (this is happening around 2060-2080 right?) Eva is going to be gungho about going all Sam Beckett with Chao, so your mileage might vary on the theory.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Paracelsus posted:

Wasn't she haunting Ryoko specifically, who is probably dead by now? That's what I meant by "released from her previous job."

Didn't Eva build her a mini doll body that lets her move around away from Asakura prior to them leaving for the Magical World? And then Paru drew her up a full sized golem body with her pactio artifact. And I remember a note in the Negima epilogue about how she was freed from the need to haunt Mahora by the end of the term by unspecified means, hence why she could graduate and then go with Asakura like she wanted, but didn't need to stick close to her if she didn't want to. She did choose to stick by Asakura though, so who knows what she did if Asakura is no longer in the picture.

This is the timeline where Asuna was sealed, but set prior to her waking up. So while Ayaka is definitely still alive, any or all of the other mortal students could be too. They'd just be old ladies, is all.

InfinityComplex posted:

SgtMongoose posted:

It makes sense as far as Negi died in that timeline and Negi "died" in this timeline (what's the over/under on that sticking?). But it also assumes that in 40-50ish years (this is happening around 2060-2080 right?) Eva is going to be gungho about going all Sam Beckett with Chao, so your mileage might vary on the theory.
I forget, what's the current date in UQ Holder anyway? There's been no indication that this is the timeline where Asuna is sealed, besides maybe Negi dying...

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

On an slightly related note -

They are selling Negima! omnibuses. But it looks like they stopped at volume 9 - or volume 27 out of 39 in the series. I hope they finish someday.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Skychrono posted:

They are selling Negima! omnibuses. But it looks like they stopped at volume 9 - or volume 27 out of 39 in the series. I hope they finish someday.

Maybe they're being delayed because he's writing a real ending? :shobon:

:(

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Skychrono posted:

Maybe Kodansha just hasn't gotten around to Omnibus 10 yet? They usually release a new volume every couple of months on a schedule. Shouldn't need much touching up, since Volumes 28-30 were all translated by the Nibley twins, which is Kodansha USA's current translating team and who were responsible for translating the latter half of the manga volumes when they were still coming out in English.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
New Chapter

I'm really liking that Santa gets to be the hero of his story instead of Touta main charactering it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like that Sayoko has become half metal album cover and half TETSUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Whoever Akamatsu's editor is, they're letting him really go nuts.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 19, 2014

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Every time Akamatsu surprises me with a new type of art, I don't know what to do. I was floored a decade ago when Love Hina had kickass action sequences, blown away when the shonen floodgates finally broke on Negima, and now here we are, and we see weird poo poo like that in this chapter.

Akamatsu, you're a beast.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Skeleton Army loving ruled and I hope black-metal necroschoolgirl turns into some kind of recurring villain, even though she seems more like the kind of second-act throwaway who gets taken out for good.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I'd be kind of interesting but thoroughly improbable if she were to be purified of all those mind altering influences and joined UQ with Santa but still fought with the same necromancy abilities as before.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kyte posted:

I'd be kind of interesting but thoroughly improbable if she were to be purified of all those mind altering influences and joined UQ with Santa but still fought with the same necromancy abilities as before.

This. Come on, why can't Santa have a happy ending?

E: He's a ghost, she's a necromance,r together they fight crime!

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

MonsieurChoc posted:

This. Come on, why can't Santa have a happy ending?

E: He's a ghost, she's a necromance,r together they fight crime!

Much like how Negima primed his shonen pump for this, UQ Holder is preparing Akamatsu for his next manga: a buddy cop romance.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I can't wait for the inevitable lovely Akamatsu anime adaptation to somehow make Nito The Schoolgirl look lame.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Kyte posted:

Erebia comes across as some pretty dark poo poo as I vaguely recall, does the Negima/UQ universe follow standard dark-is-always-bad-and-vice-versa magic or is it the user that makes magic good or bad? I want her to stick around for more dark skeleton magic.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Let's be real, here. Negima was popular mostly because of its embarrassing naked middle school girl harem half, not the kickin' rad shounen fighting manga half. Uqh is never gonna be that successful.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Pierson posted:

Erebia comes across as some pretty dark poo poo as I vaguely recall, does the Negima/UQ universe follow standard dark-is-always-bad-and-vice-versa magic or is it the user that makes magic good or bad? I want her to stick around for more dark skeleton magic.

Magica Erebia is dark magic that feeds of a person's negative emotions and turns them into power. At the same time it slowly creeps into the user's soul and can completely consume them - even if it doesn't consume them it permanently changes them into something other than human.

However it doesn't follow 'dark is always evil'. While Dark magic has side effects and is dangerous, it can still be used for positive purposes. It's more that Dark Magic is super dangerous to the user, which boosts its power, while 'Light' magic is weaker but less dangerous. It's also 'dark magic runs off negative emotions (hate, fear, anger, self doubt) while light magic runs off positive emotions (happiness, confidence, etc.)

Also, Negima actually got better ratings once the big fighting arcs started, that's why Akamatsu was allowed to go full fighting manga. The fanservice was still probably something some people stuck around for, but stuff like the Festival Battle and the Magical World arc scored way higher than early Negima from what I remember.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 19, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Let's be real, here. Negima was popular mostly because of its embarrassing naked middle school girl harem half, not the kickin' rad shounen fighting manga half. Uqh is never gonna be that successful.

It's sad that more people didn't get to experience the Mars twist.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's sad that more people didn't get to experience the Mars twist.

The spaceport fight is still one of the few things in a manga that actually made my jaw drop, because god drat that was such a huge shift.

Also to add to the earlier stuff about how dark magic is framed in this universe, Takane D. Goodman used dark magic for her shadow puppets, and she was an ALLY OF JUSTICE. There's something endearing about that goofy not-even-tertiary character.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

while 'Light' magic is weaker but less dangerous. It's also 'dark magic runs off negative emotions (hate, fear, anger, self doubt) while light magic runs off positive emotions (happiness, confidence, etc.)

I think they mentioned that "light" magic wasn't weaker but it was a longer path than the dark. Negi needed the shortcut plus he was well suited towards dark magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Someone who isn't on their phone should link to Rakan's lecture and demonstration on it because that was comedy gold.

• Locked thread