Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Argue posted:

Did the prop department give Hunter Jeff Winger's cowboy costume?

This is a good reference I appreciate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I thought I remember a story somewhere about how Marvel is not doing "origin stories" in their movies anymore - I guess after Ant Man.

That means that origin stories will have to be presented elsewhere - like TV. And if you speculate further, that would mean that the Inhumans movie isn't an origin story, but a story involving Inhumans. And it could mean that the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are going to already be Inhumans in Avengers 2...which means that Agents of Shield could be where the Inhumans origin story takes place.

And if all that's true, if Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are going to be recognized as Inhumans in Avengers 2, then it's very likely we'll see the city + Inhumans stuff this year in the show. We won't have to wait till 2018 or whatever.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Wow, that is some hardcore speculation. Marvel saying no origin stories in movies simply means the hero is going to be fully formed when the movie starts, it doesn't mean you put origin stories anywhere else. Also, I think its been definitively confirmed by Marvel that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are not Inhumans.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
They will never put important information for a movie in the show. That they are not doing origin stories anymore probably means we wont see yet another movie were the protagonist learns a lesson and steps up to be the hero they need to be in the face of newly acquired powers/problems (Iron Man, Iron Man 2 Cap 1, Thor), not that they wont explain the origin of something. So, the Doctor Strange movie wont be about an arrogant surgeon who suffers a career ending hand injury, only to ravel to the Himalaya and become the mystic protector of Earth, it will start with him already being the Sorcerer Supreme.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I liked the discussion between Mac and Fitz for two reasons - one, Mac seemed to realize Fitz wasn't stumbling on his words nearly as much, but didn't say anything to that end, and two, I loved when Fitz mentioned that the brain makes a backup and Simmons comes into frame - and you're only 100% sure it's real Simmons when she talks to Mac. Cat-Ward was amazing of course and dominated this episode but that scene with MacFitz seemed really well put together to me.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Red Queen posted:

I liked the discussion between Mac and Fitz for two reasons - one, Mac seemed to realize Fitz wasn't stumbling on his words nearly as much, but didn't say anything to that end, and two, I loved when Fitz mentioned that the brain makes a backup and Simmons comes into frame - and you're only 100% sure it's real Simmons when she talks to Mac. Cat-Ward was amazing of course and dominated this episode but that scene with MacFitz seemed really well put together to me.

I kind of thought Fitz just had an epiphany that the brain machine they were using on Coilson might be able to treat him.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I think the no origins thing is being a bit misunderstood. I think it just means there will be no entire films dedicated to introducing a character. They don't want to waste the limited number of films they get out of these contracts with actors by spending an entire film establishing the character. So expect more characters to debut in other films before getting their own, or expect their origins to be established very quickly. I'm guessing Antman, will be the last film to introduce a new main character within its own film. Honestly, I think the new strategy is better since it wastes less time.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ToastyPotato posted:

I think the no origins thing is being a bit misunderstood. I think it just means there will be no entire films dedicated to introducing a character. They don't want to waste the limited number of films they get out of these contracts with actors by spending an entire film establishing the character. So expect more characters to debut in other films before getting their own, or expect their origins to be established very quickly. I'm guessing Antman, will be the last film to introduce a new main character within its own film. Honestly, I think the new strategy is better since it wastes less time.

Yeah, I take it to mean they'll rush through the origin at the start of the movie and then get on with the main story. Like 15 mins of Dr. Strange going to Tibet and training with the Ancient One and then back to Greenwich and Wong for the majority of the movie.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Rarity posted:

Yeah, I take it to mean they'll rush through the origin at the start of the movie and then get on with the main story. Like 15 mins of Dr. Strange going to Tibet and training with the Ancient One and then back to Greenwich and Wong for the majority of the movie.

Basically The Incredible Hulk method.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something interesting about this week's episode is it looks like they're just going to pretend that Icers no longer exist. Like nobody brought them up when talking about taking down Ward.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

muscles like this? posted:

Something interesting about this week's episode is it looks like they're just going to pretend that Icers no longer exist. Like nobody brought them up when talking about taking down Ward.

I'm not surprised that the show doesn't try to bring them up too often since they kind of provide a super convenient solution to a lot of potential problems (in terms of storytelling), but in this episode there was the scene with Trip asking Coulson what he wants them to do, and Coulson saying to bring Ward in at any cost. I just kind of took that to imply that they're not going to waste time trying to ice Ward. Either he cooperates and comes back in or they put him down. They're done dealing with him as a prisoner/source of info anyway since they were going to give him to is brother.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004
I'm excited May isn't coming back until Ward is dealt with. I dislike May. I really hope she finds him and Ward wins this time around.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ToastyPotato posted:

That and audiences would probably get bored if they kept with the formula of superhero origins since they tend to blend together a lot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

|Ziggy| posted:

I'm excited May isn't coming back until Ward is dealt with. I dislike May. I really hope she finds him and Ward wins this time around.

Why? She is one of the stronger characters on the show, and the way she beat him last season was hilarious.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Why? She is one of the stronger characters on the show, and the way she beat him last season was hilarious.

I just don't like no emotion characters that fights in high heels.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

|Ziggy| posted:

That's...oddly specific.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I wonder if they'll quietly retcon them like they did with Zat guns in Stargate.

greatn posted:

I kind of thought Fitz just had an epiphany that the brain machine they were using on Coilson might be able to treat him.

So Evil Scientist Fitz is still on the table :ohdear:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Dude isn't going to jump in the mind-rape machine, he's making solid progress and was just having a moment of empathy with another dude who is going through brain problems.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

bobkatt013 posted:

I just re-watched that fight the other day and it was even better than I remembered. Seriously how can someone not like May after she stapled Ward to the ground and roundhouse kicked him in the face?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

|Ziggy| posted:

What? She was in heels that one time because she was undercover, and she hated it.

She is stoic, but that's correct for her character, so I don't have a problem with it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Xtanstic posted:

So Evil Scientist Fitz is still on the table :ohdear:

I hope so. It would make the show be more interesting for considerably longer if the cast keeps revolving and changing roles, if not dropping out altogether.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

rujasu posted:

What? She was in heels that one time because she was undercover, and she hated it.

She is stoic, but that's correct for her character, so I don't have a problem with it.

They also make her out who has seen and done a lot of black ops so she is emotionally distant due to that. It also does not help the last person she nailed she had to do it in two different ways.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Boogaleeboo posted:

Dude isn't going to jump in the mind-rape machine, he's making solid progress and was just having a moment of empathy with another dude who is going through brain problems.

Also there he still has a lot on unresolved issues with Simmons, magically curing his brain would remove most of them, and their relationship is one of the things i like the best about this season. Also Iain De Caestecker is a good actor, and is getting great things out of the brain damage.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Um, wasn't there a snarky comment in that episode about how one agent had a gun that would actually kill someone, and the other didn't? "You don't want me to shoot you, my gun will actually kill you" or something like that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Xtanstic posted:

I wonder if they'll quietly retcon them like they did with Zat guns in Stargate.

They only retconned the third shot. Last I recall, they were still being used, and the second shot still killed.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
They give Skye/Fitz/Simmons Icers, the real agents get the big boy guns, as they won't have the crisis of conscious or hesitation that comes with killing someone.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They only retconned the third shot. Last I recall, they were still being used, and the second shot still killed.

Nah they retconned both the 2nd and 3rd shot. It became an exclusively non-lethal weapon with stun time varying based on plot necessities.

Dexo posted:

They give Skye/Fitz/Simmons Icers, the real agents get the big boy guns, as they won't have the crisis of conscious or hesitation that comes with killing someone.

I can't seem to recall if there was a throwaway line justifying Icer ammo being hard to come by.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Xtanstic posted:

Nah they retconned both the 2nd and 3rd shot. It became an exclusively non-lethal weapon with stun time varying based on plot necessities.

I can't seem to recall if there was a throwaway line justifying Icer ammo being hard to come by.

That would slightly contradict the guy at the Hydra hard file repository saying to undercover nerd Coulson and May that they had already seen it and analyzed it to death. The tech is out there, somebody's got to be making it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Dexo posted:

Skye definitely had a big boy gun in the third episode when she plugged Blizzard in the chest. At least, as far as we know. :tinfoil:

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

JT Smiley posted:

I just re-watched that fight the other day and it was even better than I remembered. Seriously how can someone not like May after she stapled Ward to the ground and roundhouse kicked him in the face?
And the slo-mo flying face-into-a-table slam was from the May vs Fake-May fight is one of my favorite TV/Movie fight scene moves of all time now. They were basically writing in one excuse to have May deliver someone an elegant rear end-kicking in every episode, and I was completely happy with that formula.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is Agents of SHIELD the first successful large scale tv-film universe cross promotion thing? I guess there was Star Trek.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Robot Hobo posted:

And the slo-mo flying face-into-a-table slam was from the May vs Fake-May fight is one of my favorite TV/Movie fight scene moves of all time now. They were basically writing in one excuse to have May deliver someone an elegant rear end-kicking in every episode, and I was completely happy with that formula.

Yeah that was the best. May as a stone cold badass works so much better this year than last.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is Agents of SHIELD the first successful large scale tv-film universe cross promotion thing? I guess there was Star Trek.

I was under the impression the Star Trek TNG movies had nothing to do with the show or rather, vice versa. That is, the show never really made reference to the movies? Was the show even still being made when the TNG movies were happening? The original set of ST movies was also long after the show had been cancelled, and all of those movies take place before TNG would have ever happened. I know nothing of DS9 and Voyager.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

I was under the impression the Star Trek TNG movies had nothing to do with the show or rather, vice versa. That is, the show never really made reference to the movies? Was the show even still being made when the TNG movies were happening? The original set of ST movies was also long after the show had been cancelled, and all of those movies take place before TNG would have ever happened. I know nothing of DS9 and Voyager.

The TNG movies were after the TNG series, but there was some crossover between the TNG movies and Deep Space Nine.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If you're willing to branch into anime, I believe it's relatively common for series to end with a movie (off the top of my head there's End of Evangelion and Key the Metal Idol), and Cowboy Bebop had a movie come out three years after it that was made to fit between two specific episodes. Then there are countless shows where a movie spawned a TV series (Stargate) or vice-versa (Star Trek). This kind of show/movie integration though, I'm pretty sure it's unique. It takes a lot of coordination, and a dedication to the larger universe. The Marvel Movie Universe is a unique beast in itself, since movies are almost always seen as one-off things with maybe a little focus on sequels.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

ToastyPotato posted:

The movies were also distanced the series because they were written very differently. The movies typically had more action oriented scripts which the cast wasn't very convincing at doing. It's almost endearing to watch :3:

Even if others have tried it before nothing compares to the insane marketing machine that marvel has going at the moment. More people care about comic book super heroes than ever and marvel has the by far biggest piece of that pie. I think they have realized that they don't win anything by holding back, hence the amount of stuff that does down in Cap 2, the pace of late season 1 and now season 2, the direction they went with for Guardians of the Galaxy and their release schedule announcement. I guess since every movie they've made recently has pulled in several hundred million dollars they're feeling confident about their strategy.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

They're welcome to keep the stunt actor around and have her double for a character that shows some personality.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I loved Ward's Francis York Morgan cosplay at the end there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

As far as TV show tie-ins, a nod should be given to Arrow and Flash. Characters will hop shows for an episode (and be absent from that episode of the other show), one of the bad guys from Arrow is going to show up in Flash soon, episode 8 of this season is a two-part mashup of both shows, it's not on the same scale as Shield with the movies, but they interact more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

They're welcome to keep the stunt actor around and have her double for a character that shows some personality.

How does it feel to be a bad person with bad opinions?

• Locked thread