Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Factory Factory posted:

Oy. Are we gonna have to go all computer graphics realism and start upgrading and recommending upgrades just because PC ports are done shittily?

Not to point fingers but this has been almost entirely Ubisoft lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Maybe if they divide the work among 15 studies next time, they're make something even more efficient!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
It's a good thing the AC games suck rear end. Go play Mordor to scratch the open world itch.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Anti-Hero posted:

It's a good thing the AC games suck rear end. Go play Mordor to scratch the open world itch.

Yes. Shadow of Mordor is like Assassin's Creed except good.

It will also strain your system but it will look good while doing it.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

DarthBlingBling posted:

In all fairness it's running like garbage on consoles too

Yeah, both the PS4 and Xbox One are running at less than 30fps. What horrible optimization that game must have.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Swartz posted:

Can't say I'm surprised given it's system requirements. Hopefully Far Cry 4 isn't a turd as well.

FC4 seems to be on the same engine as FC3, so it shouldn't have any real problems running presumably. But, this is Ubisoft.

Factory Factory posted:

Early reviews are in: Assassin's Creed Unity plays like Crysis and the Watch_Dogs port had a baby. Which is to say, a 980 struggles for a solid 60 FPS at 1080p. And there is CPU bounding like mad on anything short of a Haswell i5 or OC'd older-gen equivalent.

Can confirm with i7 and 980. Cutscenes bog down into the mid 30s/mid 40s for some reason, turning on even the lowest AA reduces framerate, and certain areas (Namely large crowds that you find in missions) brought the game down into the 40s while it was at 60 during the regular streets and open world poo poo.

Then I tried turning shadow quality down a bit to fix the framerate around that crowd and now the game crashes my nVidia drivers any time I boot it, so :v:

Still better than the Gears of War port years ago that bricked the hard drive I installed it on, at least.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 13, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Oh Lord, remember how Nvidia is suing the crap out of Samsung and others based on their patent infringement of the concept of a GPU? Well, Samsung is now firing back, counter-suing on a variety of infringement claims including "detecting that a connected monitor has been turned off and not sending it a picture any more."

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Factory Factory posted:

Oh Lord, remember how Nvidia is suing the crap out of Samsung and others based on their patent infringement of the concept of a GPU? Well, Samsung is now firing back, counter-suing on a variety of infringement claims including "detecting that a connected monitor has been turned off and not sending it a picture any more."

I know that there are legitimate reasons for patents to exist but it's really loving hard to remember them when you read stuff like that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
loving damnit, a Gigabyte Windforce 970 will not SLI with a basic Zotac 970.

I was wondering why it didn't think my SLI cable was plugged in so I googled and found this:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/787042/geforce-900-series/gtx-970-sli-with-two-different-brands-doesn-t-work-/

I tried to use that "DifferentSLI" program but no luck. You've got to be kidding me, NVidia.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 13, 2014

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

loving damnit, a Gigebyte Windforce 970 will not SLI with a basic Zotac 970.

I was wondering why it didn't think my SLI cable was plugged in so I googled and found this:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/787042/geforce-900-series/gtx-970-sli-with-two-different-brands-doesn-t-work-/

I tried to use that "DifferentSLI" program but no luck. You've got to be kidding me, NVidia.

Wow that sucks, good to keep in mind however.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
NVidia's official line is that vendors don't matter if it's the same card model, too. Has anyone else tried anything like this? My top card was running too hot because the fans were blocked by the bottom card so I specifically got the Windforce card so the 3rd fan would be unblocked by the Zotac card. It clears it perfectly but all for naught since I can't use SLI.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you bug them enough it probably will be fixed in a driver update. It's supposed to work. In a worst case scenario you could always flash the bios.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Is that a problem with the windforce or zotac card? For example would a windforce and MSI card work together?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
A word of caution: Today I bought a MSI 980 GTX Gaming and the reports about the sticker on the fans were correct. That drat thing sticks way too hard on the fans and if you are not careful when pulling it off then there is a good chance to damage one of the fan blades or maybe even the fan bearing itself.

Otherwise the card is great and has replaced my old GTX 770, the extra power makes the difference between Shadows of Mordor in 1440p on Ultra or 1080p on High, it#s also the most silent card I have ever owned since the days of the 8800 GT. My 770 has started to make a light buzzing noise recently, but only in a certain fan speed range - roughly between 48 to 54%, so I'm enjoying the new silence.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 13, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

r0ck0 posted:

Is that a problem with the windforce or zotac card? For example would a windforce and MSI card work together?

I saw some people complaining about two other cards, like an EVGA with an MSI, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say NVidia hosed up the drivers somehow so that dissimilar vendors don't work for the same card. Since you can apparently patch the driver to make it work that's what it's gotta be. What a loving sloppy oversight though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Has anyone gotten their keys from Tigerdirect? I talked with them last week and they said 3-5 days, it's been basically a week and still no keys. Both of mine were ordered 10/22 and didn't ship until 10/29 so I very much should qualify.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

veedubfreak posted:

Has anyone gotten their keys from Tigerdirect? I talked with them last week and they said 3-5 days, it's been basically a week and still no keys. Both of mine were ordered 10/22 and didn't ship until 10/29 so I very much should qualify.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Last night, I contacted support to follow up and they apologized for the wait and emailed me the code. I redeemed it without issue. I ordered my card before the promotion even began so I'm pretty happy.

quote:

Hello,

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the inconvenience. Upon checking the status of your order, the game code for your order is <derp> and you can download the game using this link https://redeem.geforce.com/en-us?campaignID=PICKYOURPATH.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

Senechi Aniban

Pretty sure its outsourced support so they have to escalate it to request the code which is why it takes so long I think.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 13, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Well if you are tired of waiting for TD to send you a code you can buy mine in SAmart.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680538

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Gunslinger posted:

Last night, I contacted support to follow up and they apologized for the wait and emailed me the code. I redeemed it without issue. I ordered my card before the promotion even began so I'm pretty happy.

Assholes. I've gotten the exact opposite response about my MSI purchase.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The Gunslinger posted:

Pretty sure its outsourced support so they have to escalate it to request the code which is why it takes so long I think.

Guess it's time to fire up TD chat again. Thanks.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So my computer started 'buzzing' last night, and I was almost certain, given my recent luck, that it was coil whine/buzzing from the Gigabyte G1.

In a bit of good bad news, it wasn't the card - it was a less-than-one-year-old (bought 2/10/13) WD Se drive...one of their entry-level Enterprise drives that's supposed to have a long life that I can only assume was in the middle stages of failure, since I've rarely heard a HDD 'buzz.' :toot:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 13, 2014

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

A word of caution: Today I bought a MSI 980 GTX Gaming and the reports about the sticker on the fans were correct. That drat thing sticks way too hard on the fans and if you are not careful when pulling it off then there is a good chance to damage one of the fan blades or maybe even the fan bearing itself.

Otherwise the card is great and has replaced my old GTX 770, the extra power makes the difference between Shadows of Mordor in 1440p on Ultra or 1080p on High, it#s also the most silent card I have ever owned since the days of the 8800 GT. My 770 has started to make a light buzzing noise recently, but only in a certain fan speed range - roughly between 48 to 54%, so I'm enjoying the new silence.

I just opened and installed an MSI 970 GTX Gaming, and the sticker was obviously redesigned after the first batch went out. There is zero adhesive on the fan blades or the center of the fan itself anymore, simply on the very outsides of the sticker.

vvv At least I left out my enormous erection due to the upgrade from a 560ti-448 to a 970

Schiavona fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 14, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Schiavona posted:

I just opened and installed an MSI 970 GTX Gaming, and the sticker was obviously redesigned after the first batch went out. There is zero adhesive on the fan blades or the center of the fan itself anymore, simply on the very outsides of the sticker.

There seems to be some kind of goon in the reflection..

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

After upgrading from my AMD HD 7870 to a MSI GTX970 4Gaming I got some static buzzing coming from my onboard sound card (Realtek, ASUS P8 Z68-V Pro). It starts after a couple of minutes of gaming and appears to be linked to the frames per second the card processes. The second I terminate the game, the buzzing dies down. It kind of sounds like a motor bike.

What are the likely culprits, provided this is enough information to go on?
Could it be a grounding issue? When I touch the hard drive cage, the volume of the buzzing dies down.

Or could it be the PSU? There's hardly more strain on the GPU, the 970 only draws slightly more power. I have a spare PSU I could try tomorrow.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Cross posting from the monitor thread:

I'm thinking about putting 3 U2415s in portrait for a ridiculous viewing experience. Think that a 970 Strix can handle it? Would it fry the card in quick fashion? I'd like to play newer FPS and such with pretty decent video settings.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So if I want a quiet, not likely to buzz, small GTX 970, which one should I go for?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

mcbexx posted:

After upgrading from my AMD HD 7870 to a MSI GTX970 4Gaming I got some static buzzing coming from my onboard sound card (Realtek, ASUS P8 Z68-V Pro). It starts after a couple of minutes of gaming and appears to be linked to the frames per second the card processes. The second I terminate the game, the buzzing dies down. It kind of sounds like a motor bike.
Check for any object being near the fan blades (cable, piece of paper, sticker, etc.)

Edit: nevermind, re-read and saw you said it's coming from the speakers. That's down to the motherboard not having good enough isolation for the audio circuits.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Null1fy posted:

Cross posting from the monitor thread:

I'm thinking about putting 3 U2415s in portrait for a ridiculous viewing experience. Think that a 970 Strix can handle it? Would it fry the card in quick fashion? I'd like to play newer FPS and such with pretty decent video settings.
Depends upon the game. That's like 20% less pixels than a 4K setup, so have a look at various 4K benchmark results and extrapolate from there.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Station-Drivers has a new 970 BIOS listed. Anyone brave enough to try flashing it?

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/outils/Drivers/Nvidia/Bios/nVidia-GeForce-GTX-970-Bios-Version-84.04.2F.00.F2/

Current BIOS on mine is 84.04.1F.00.FD, according to Afterburner.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Jesus Christ, Ubisoft... You know the performance problems you're having with your Core i5 and GeForce 970? It's all the fault of the AMD CPU and GPU you're using.

Actually, it's because (if the published e-mails are to be believed), Ubisoft put literally no effort into porting from the consoles. They took advantage of bare-metal console APIs to push 50,000 draw calls per frame (which is supposedly outrageously unoptimized already), and they just stuck that as-is on DirectX 11, which tends to hork up around 10,000 calls per frame.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

Jesus Christ, Ubisoft... You know the performance problems you're having with your Core i5 and GeForce 970? It's all the fault of the AMD CPU and GPU you're using.

Actually, it's because (if the published e-mails are to be believed), Ubisoft put literally no effort into porting from the consoles. They took advantage of bare-metal console APIs to push 50,000 draw calls per frame (which is supposedly outrageously unoptimized already), and they just stuck that as-is on DirectX 11, which tends to hork up around 10,000 calls per frame.

All they see is "Assassin's Creed Unity: 1 Million Copies Sold.*"

* 250,000 to nVidia at wholesale

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Schiavona posted:

vvv At least I left out my enormous erection due to the upgrade from a 560ti-448 to a 970

This must be the new sticker, the old one didn't have that hole in the mid and had that extra sticky adhesive.

Factory Factory posted:

I got a voucher with my new card either for rear end Creed, Far Cry 4 or The Crew. Guess I should wait for some Far Cry 4 reviews before I decide which poison to pick. I already feel dirty for getting an Ubisoft game.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Nov 14, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hammerstein posted:

I got a voucher with my new card either for rear end Creed, Far Cry 4 or The Crew. Guess I should wait for some Far Cry 4 reviews before I decide which poison to pick. I already feel dirty for getting an Ubisoft game.

If you're entertaining the thought of selling the voucher, sooner would be better than later - the closer we get to Christmas, the cheaper they'll undoubtedly get, and there'll be an even bigger glut once people get their graphics card 'gifts.'

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

As I'm waiting on my Asus GTX 970, I suddenly realized that my PSU is now four years and a couple of months old (it's a Seasonic S12D-750 750 watt thingy). I haven't had any issues with it, but that seems a little old to me - what't the usual recommended timeframe for upgrading the PSU?

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Wengy posted:

As I'm waiting on my Asus GTX 970, I suddenly realized that my PSU is now four years and a couple of months old (it's a Seasonic S12D-750 750 watt thingy). I haven't had any issues with it, but that seems a little old to me - what't the usual recommended timeframe for upgrading the PSU?

I upgrade mine when it breaks or it can't support what I am running.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Wengy posted:

When the warranty expires; or five years if it's a good quality PSU with a <5 year warranty. Even good PSUs can fail badly sometimes so you shouldn't wait for it to fail and potentially take something else with it.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Thanks. Just checked the Seasonic website and they actually give a 5 year warranty - I'll probably get a new one next spring then.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

When the warranty expires; or five years if it's a good quality PSU with a <5 year warranty. Even good PSUs can fail badly sometimes so you shouldn't wait for it to fail and potentially take something else with it.

Yeah, this is probably smarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I keep seeing the Asus Strix 970 popping up, is this the go-to card for the 970's or does it not matter much at this point?