Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ReindeerF posted:

So, my guess - I could easily be wrong - is that the Red Shirts are planning to wait for the junta to overplay its hand, but if this takes too long the grassroots will undermine the strategic effort and demand action. Generally, they've been much smarter and more patient about playing the long game because tiiiiimmmeeee is on their side, yes it is.

Who do you mean "they" in your last sentence?

So is Elvis vegetable now? If he is vegetable who control the tubes go to the vegetable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Who do you mean "they" in your last sentence?
Thaksin/red shirts presumably.

quote:

So is Elvis vegetable now? If he is vegetable who control the tubes go to the vegetable?
It's believed that he is no longer 100% lucid but his current level of functioning is unknown.

As for who is making his medical choices, it's most likely his favourite daughter.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

wid posted:

Jokowi's ascent is simply because of the right moment in Indonesia's experiment with democracy. In the 10 years of SBY's rule, the voters have been so disillusioned and pessimistic with the political parties that the politicians had to turn to random celebrities. I'm not kidding. Imagine your local comedians and soap opera actors and actresses running for senate. A good chunk of the people sitting in parliament now are non-career politicians but simply famous or used-to-be-famous people. People are so sick of politicians they'd vote for anyone else with a pretty face. The parties are desperate for anyone who'd appear electable, so they reached out to local, well-known people also even if they were not old time career politicians (aka. people who actually did something with their lives instead of spending their entire time arguing how much of the cut of the people's money they should get). This is how Jokowi got into the ticket for the mayor of Solo/Surakarta. But he was not alone. A number of other people got voted into office for their actual work ethics and results. The mayor of Surabaya is famous for this, a modest, regular looking woman who appears to fit more in the local market than in a mayor's office. These people keep popping up because the parties are desperate for likable, non-shady looking assholes to put on the posters.

If you're surprised the powers-that=be let Jokowi got this far, you should look into his running-mate for Governor of Jakarta: Basuki Tjahja Purnama (also known as Ahok, his chinese nickname). This guy is even more hardcore than Jokowi. It's like he has a deathwish or something. First of all, he's Chinese. And a Christian (though he said he doesn't have a religion except the faith in Jesus Christ so the guy is practically an agnostic). And he yelled and screamed at corrupt officials all the time and made his meetings recorded and published on youtube so the people could see how utterly incompetent the officials are. It's like he's Gordon Ramsay and the governor's office is Hell's Kitchen. He famously brushed aside a parliament member who is also not-so-secretly a gang boss who controlled a part of an area in Jakarta. For decades, this guy's gang had controlled an area called Tanah Abang which is a large public road, closed it down and made it into a market, from which they siphoned illegal tax from the merchants there. Ahok cleared the poo poo out of the place and moved the merchants to a proper place for a market, taxed by the province. Then when his political party, Gerindra (Prabowo's party), made the push for the legislation to remove voting for executive offices, he quit the party. So right now he has no backing whatsoever other than obviously Jokowi still got his back (note that he and Jokowi belonged to different parties but right it seems like Ahok is in full-on hate mode for political parties).

When Jokowi took office as governor of Jakarta, he kept a subtle, non-confrontational approach to problems. This was only possible because Ahok acted as his bumper, being vocal and confrontational with anyone hindering their work. Kinda like good cop bad cop thing. It's likely Jokowi will do the same with his vice president, Jusuf Kalla.

Awesome post, thank you. In my Indonesian class this week we've been discussing elections and our teacher told us a little about Ahok up in Sumatra and a great documentary about him called Fight Like Ahok. My Indonesian isn't good enough yet to watch and understand the whole thing but it seems like something worth watching.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Gail Wynand posted:

Haha, yeah. I especially liked it when the MSF minister attacked GS and Google for supporting Pink Dot. Have a feeling he will find himself in a new job come 2016..

It's fairly clear what is going on to anyone paying attention: the very top PAP people have liberal personal views but need to keep the evangelicals and Muslims on side.

ehhh I don't think they'll drop him. if I read the present attitude of the PAP right, it is annoyance/resentment/fear that American organizations are using Singapore as a battlefield for their proxy political wars, that's the common element here - notice that FotF is American, this isn't MUIS or a local megachurch, which would have turned out very differently.

If a Hwa Chong student had spoken out against a Malay-Muslim pro-family messaging, it would be Ministry of Home Affairs stepping in, and the MHA would slap down the student hard. The children of elite Chinese can't go mouthing off about such issues to the Malays, they can only do that to Americans.

at the present time the opposition is also not terribly enthusiastic about embracing Pink Dot so it isn't a crisis, but it is still a possibility in the future and the PAP will want to make sure that it has the last word - that it is seen that the electoral mandate alone decides winners, not civil-social agitation funded from the West

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

ronya posted:

ehhh I don't think they'll drop him. if I read the present attitude of the PAP right, it is annoyance/resentment/fear that American organizations are using Singapore as a battlefield for their proxy political wars, that's the common element here - notice that FotF is American, this isn't MUIS or a local megachurch, which would have turned out very differently.

If a Hwa Chong student had spoken out against a Malay-Muslim pro-family messaging, it would be Ministry of Home Affairs stepping in, and the MHA would slap down the student hard. The children of elite Chinese can't go mouthing off about such issues to the Malays, they can only do that to Americans.
They smacked down the Muslims and the local megachurches when they wanted to organize a counter-Pink Dot event this year, so I wouldn't assume this is 100% correct.

My impression is that the Singapore branch of FOTF is fairly autonomous - you see programming from them in Mediacorp and SPH, doubt that would happen absent some semi-official sanction.

Also, never gets old:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So can anyone give insight about Lee Hsien Long? How is his popularity and how is he doing nowadays? On the surface of things, it seems like PAP's iron grip on politics is slowly waning but none the less still strong. Is the government still happy at libel suits and putting protesters indoors?

People in Hong Kong look at Singapore with envy in terms of its diversified economic development. How is Singapore recently doing? Hong Kongers feel that Hong Kong is pretty much hosed in terms of future development because of its sole focus on artificial induced scarcity land policy.

Gail Wynand posted:

Also, never gets old:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Pink Dot also has trouble getting permission for public events so that might just be typical resistance to 'socially divisive' events.

There's certainly official sanction in the sense of being granted a platform, but there is no sanction in the sense of FotF being granted a license to speak for the MSF. The govt reacted in more or less an identical way to the AWARE sex ed programme, which was to announce that the controversial programme will run to completion and then shuffle procedures in appointing sexuality education providers. Non-victories for everybody except the government. Bait laid out to see who is foolhardy enough to publicly accuse the government of bias in its handling of the issue; looks like nobody bit this time.

ronya fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 27, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

caberham posted:

So can anyone give insight about Lee Hsien Long? How is his popularity and how is he doing nowadays? On the surface of things, it seems like PAP's iron grip on politics is slowly waning but none the less still strong. Is the government still happy at libel suits and putting protesters indoors?

People in Hong Kong look at Singapore with envy in terms of its diversified economic development. How is Singapore recently doing? Hong Kongers feel that Hong Kong is pretty much hosed in terms of future development because of its sole focus on artificial induced scarcity land policy.

Hsien Loong seems popular. I don't know that he has any unusual personal popularity but the PAP 'brand' seems to be doing well. Recently there have been some attempts to concoct a scandal over the administration of the social insurance fund - there is some discontent over the withdrawal age/rates being limited, but that's not good enough to fuel opposition, so someone tried to allege Lee family corruption. This has turned out predictably so far - defamation suit, etc.

The govt seems to be benefiting from this, in fact, since the attack that the fund is missing/gone/stolen/etc. do seem to be nonsensical and going far in discrediting opposition to the withdrawal changes - it furthers the idea that the populist drumbeating over the CPF is economically illiterate and devoted to defamation tactics.

Singapore is doing well in terms of employment. Growth seems shaky. Foreign worker curbs seem to be hurting. Government is focusing hard on improving productivity (along with wages), but it remains to be seen whether this will pay off.

(for those who like historical trivia, the last time Singapore tried state-led productivity improvements along with NTUC-coordinated wage increases to climb the value-chain ladder, it triggered the first and massive 1985 recession; the policy was abruptly ended by the 85/86 Economic Committee convened in response to the crisis. It is this committee that decided upon Singapore's embrace of privatization, leading to the denationalization of Singapore Telecom, Singapore Broadcasting Corporation, the Public Utilities Board etc. It was chaired by none other than Junior Minister for Defense and Minister of Trade and Industry BG (Res) Lee Hsien Loong).

Land-wise the government has restricted consumer debt, hiked stamp duty, and released land parcels, which have all led to a consistent cooling of the housing market over the past year or so. Unlike Hong Kong, such intervention isn't new to Singapore, which has employed land policy as a countercyclical tool multiple times before - it can be expected that the govt will amend policy again in the future, once the housing market as settled to its liking.

ronya fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 27, 2014

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ronya posted:

Pink Dot also has trouble getting permission for public events so that might just be typical resistance to 'socially divisive' events.

There's certainly official sanction in the sense of being granted a platform, but there is no sanction in the sense of FotF being granted a license to speak for the MSF. The govt reacted in more or less an identical way to the AWARE sex ed programme, which was to announce that the controversial programme will run to completion and then shuffle procedures in appointing sexuality education providers. Non-victories for everybody except the government. Bait laid out to see who is foolhardy enough to publicly accuse the government of bias in its handling of the issue; looks like nobody bit this time.

Outside of the those niche focus groups practically nobody gives a flying poo poo about sexual orientation of others, government sex ed when children already know all the bird and bees themselves by 12 even back in the 90s or government fighting communist whitewashing because we are not loving living in that era and its never coming back. There are far more pressing real world issues to worry and complain about like housing/vehicle prices, transport overcrowding, inflation, lax immigration polices, foreigner favortism, relative wages etc.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Palladium posted:

There are far more pressing real world issues to worry and complain about like housing/vehicle prices, transport overcrowding, inflation, lax immigration polices, foreigner favortism, relative wages etc.
Do you post on TRS?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Gail Wynand posted:

Do you post on TRS?

Nope. However if you think the general populace over here isn't disillusioned with the general trend of how things are going on over here just because they are keeping quiet in public I'm afraid you are very dead wrong. There is a good reason why that passive-aggressiveness stereotype in Singapore exists.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Palladium posted:

Nope. However if you think the general populace over here isn't disillusioned with the general trend of how things are going on over here just because they are keeping quiet in public I'm afraid you are very dead wrong. There is a good reason why that passive-aggressiveness stereotype in Singapore exists.
There certainly are plenty of things to be annoyed about, however when you go on about "lax immigration polices" and "foreigner favortism" (sic) it kind of lumps you in with the TRS crowd.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
there's essentially no country anywhere in the world that likes immigration, but the wider public doesn't get to set immigration policy to the levels that it likes, inasmuch as what the policy elite think that policy should be like, even in the West. The public is too liable toward open racism, which the current opposition recoils from - being bluntly "realistic" about race is something exclusive to the government

Singapore's policymakers don't think very highly of the asylum seeker's rights, but they do listen carefully to the business papers downgrading their projections due to migration restrictions biting. I think we can expect the restrictions to be lifted in time for the housing supply explosion to hit the market.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-xtWCJT3oQ

Prayuth is the next Bobby Dylan :patriot:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You hear that loving song everywhere. Thankfully he hasn't penned anymore that I know of, though I recall he said the TV shows were really bad and that he might pen a TV show.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked

ReindeerF posted:

You hear that loving song everywhere. Thankfully he hasn't penned anymore that I know of, though I recall he said the TV shows were really bad and that he might pen a TV show.

But will it be a cooking show?

And on the subject of awful media circuses, has there been any more word on the Koh Tao murders? I haven't really seen any update about it since the beginning of the month and it was about Scotland Yard getting involved.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
A snorkeler died separately around the time the British quietly left the island. I think it's pretty much in the classic Thailand holding pattern now where the rest of the world sells out its citizens and stops applying pressure while the Thai authorities whistle and intentionally avoid eye contact with anyone for a while.

The Burmese were making noise for a bit, but they seem to have quieted down. There's a human rights org that's assisting the two Burmese scapegoats, but since Burmese people are sub-human and don't have human rights in the eyes of some of Thailand (definitely among the powerful) I'm not holding out much hope.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 17, 2014

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Might be time to dust off itshappening.gif...this pic looks a bit suspicious.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
What are the odds he's even conscious in that picture?

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

CronoGamer posted:

What are the odds he's even conscious in that picture?

Maybe Weekend at Elvis'-style?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Redacted!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 24, 2014

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

:ohdear:

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

In lieu of all the cool stuff nobody wants to post about, I submit this article on the southern Thailand jihadi insurgency and its effects on the seedy border towns with Malaysia:

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/asia-pacific/thailand/141204/sin-city-fire-islamic-insurgency-thailand-party-town

quote:

“When the Muslim guys get here, they drink hard,” says Tip, a brawny 33-year-old woman who manages Pin and several other women at the same bar. She has the look of an enforcer: camouflage pants, wallet chain, forearms raked by scar tissue.

Like many women on this strip, Tip has suffered from the attacks. She earned her scars right here, on the same strip, in a bombing several years back. For veterans of this city’s sex trade, witnessing an attack is practically a rite of passage. “I just cleaned off the blood and brought out more beer,” she says. “You have to get used to it.”

quote:

“We’re open to everyone,” says Bam, the bar’s senior female employee. She is a twig-skinny woman with a ponytail and vigilant eyes. “It doesn’t matter if you’re a terrorist, a cop or a soldier. We accept them all!”
Sungei Kolok is actually quite easy to get to, I propose a goon investigative trip.

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!

Gail Wynand posted:

In lieu of all the cool stuff nobody wants to post about, I submit this article on the southern Thailand jihadi insurgency and its effects on the seedy border towns with Malaysia:

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/asia-pacific/thailand/141204/sin-city-fire-islamic-insurgency-thailand-party-town

Sungei Kolok is actually quite easy to get to, I propose a goon investigative trip.

My hometown is actually about 45 minutes drive from Sungai Kolok. It's super easy for locals to cross the border without passports.
There are countless private "jettys" along the river that make up the border and for USD0.60 (a few years ago, don't know how much it is now) you can get a small boat to ferry you across the river which is around 50 metres wide.
*Not recommended without a local Kelantan (Malaysian state along the border. We have our own dialect and stuff which makes it super easy to tell if you are from around here.) person accompanying. Heard of stories where some people from out of state got mugged in the middle of the boat trip.*
After the Muslim insurgency in Southern Thailand there are bigger army presents along the river and they now require Malaysians to register their identity card with the army but not the customs before proceeding any further.
Still don't need a passport or anything. Not sure how this will work foreigners but my friends do bring his Chinese and Burmese labourers over there quite often on those boats.

mrg220t fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 9, 2014

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Very interesting, thanks. I don't think any of us are worried about crossing the "official" border though ;) Unless you want to be our tour guide?

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
A Thai junta video has children painting a portrait of Hitler.

Here's the vid itself: https://vid.me/K1sr

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked

There's a followup article where the director admits he doesn't know what the big fuss is about.

"I didn't think it would be an issue ... I have seen so many people using it on T-Shirts everywhere. It's even considered a fashion. It doesn't mean I agree with it, but I didn't expect it to be an issue at all," Director Kulp Kaljaruek was quoted in an interview with Khaosod English.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Gail Wynand posted:

Winn is a good reporter but his constant framing of the conflict as "jihadi" cann be a bit misleading. I know lots of the leaders are just conservative Malay nationalists, and lots of the young dudes are less radical than you'd think, spending their weekends getting hosed up on kratom and chasing girls. It is true that there has been a shift toward Salafism among most of the groups in past years, but this has been accelerated in part by the failure of peace talks and the coup. And while the BRN is using more Islamist imagery, the attitude of its supporters and many of its members still focuses on Malay regionalism. It's really, really complex and blurry at the end of the day. To attribute the hundreds of Patani bombings to "jihadists," though, is demonstrably false and also ignores the handful that have been set off by Thai security services (not to get tin foil-ey, but lots of this poo poo is a turf war between the military and the Malays).

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
This was predicted earlier when the family were stripped of their names, but now the princess has resigned her role:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30458296

Two questions.... does this fall under lese majeste laws? Do you guys have to be careful about even discussing the events? I really dont know how they work... is she even protected by lese majeste anymore now that she's no longer royalty?

Second question, and please ignore it if it'd get you in trouble to answer, but if she's no longer in line for a job she might have held if some certain impending conditions were met, then will that job be vacant? Or is there someone else who has moved up a spot now?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

MothraAttack posted:

Winn is a good reporter but his constant framing of the conflict as "jihadi" cann be a bit misleading. I know lots of the leaders are just conservative Malay nationalists, and lots of the young dudes are less radical than you'd think, spending their weekends getting hosed up on kratom and chasing girls.

The whole thing is going to be complicated by the strong tying of ethnic identity to religion that Malaysians (and Malays in particular) seem to have adopted. Even if you're not personally very devout, following Islam or being seen to follow it part and parcel of being Malay, for many using Islamist imagery, etc. is pretty much the equivalent of waving a big national flag. Sure you might not the all the words to the national anthem but by god you're going to hold that flag and make a lot of noise while it's being sung! It's not surprising that in an ethnically driven conflict (which is also a turf war in that area) that Malay groups would be emphasising their religion as a rallying symbol, especially if they don't want to call for separatism or to be absorbed into Malaysia (so national identifying would be out).

That's not to say there isn't increasing fundamentalism but it's being pushed among Malays is, in the vast majority of cases, an attempt to exert Malay culture as the dominant form for the country and to discourage any kind of alteration or cosmopolitanism among Malay groups. I'd go on a whole rant about how it's then followed up with demands for more state money to help lift the Malays up from their position on the bottom of the economic ladder and then seeing 90% of that money getting funneled into the hands of the same 1% of Malays that are already some of the wealthiest in the country. Like the recent demand by UMNO that Petronas and other state owned businesses only do business with Malay owned companies, which will clearly help the vast majority of Malays who own their own business or work in businesses owned by other Malays :rolleyes:

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

CronoGamer posted:

Second question, and please ignore it if it'd get you in trouble to answer, but if she's no longer in line for a job she might have held if some certain impending conditions were met, then will that job be vacant? Or is there someone else who has moved up a spot now?

It works like this.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

CronoGamer posted:

This was predicted earlier when the family were stripped of their names, but now the princess has resigned her role:http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30458296

Two questions.... does this fall under lese majeste laws? Do you guys have to be careful about even discussing the events? I really dont know how they work... is she even protected by lese majeste anymore now that she's no longer royalty?

Yes people in Thailand have to worry about this. I don't live there but I go there a lot so I try to somewhat restrain my comments.

As for your second question, yes someone just got promoted, she seems to have produced a son with no obvious defects.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

CronoGamer posted:

The basic rule is that anything in the papers we're allowed to repeat or talk about as long as we don't go past whatever's in the papers (this gets murky when the papers go too far and we don't know, heh). Like we can acknowledge what happened now publicly, but not comment or opine.

As for the second question, Gail got it.

What I wonder is what happens next. The first wife was part of the extended nobility and arranged in the first place, so she got a permanent spot in the household and has been a fixture since their separation, but completely separate from him. The second was banished from the country with the kids (there's more to that story) and the latest will... what? No one seems to know yet. Had the discussion with Thai people today and they said her real/new commoner name leaked out and people found her FB page and she's got tens of thousands of likes now, as well something else I forgot. Basically, there's an outpouring of support for her among Thai women, which is funny because she's a homewrecking karaoke singer who, with his participation, broke up his previous marriage. Any port in a storm, I guess, because what it really is is a strong expression of the dislike there is of him among Thai people (whatever they say in English publicly is horseshit, ignore it completely, meant for international consumption).

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 14, 2014

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

wrong thread, disregard me.

IAMNOTADOCTOR fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 17, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
So I guess this happened this morning

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Was not expecting this to be such a terrible year for Southeast Asian airlines.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

paragon1 posted:

Was not expecting this to be such a terrible year for Southeast Asian airlines.
just Malaysian ones, isn't it?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Vegetable posted:

just Malaysian ones, isn't it?

Not anymore!

kenner116
May 15, 2009

paragon1 posted:

Not anymore!

AirAsia is based in Malaysia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!

kenner116 posted:

AirAsia is based in Malaysia.

Air Asia Indonesia's majority shareholder is an Indonesian company. It's actually a different airline flying under Air Asia's colors.

• Locked thread