Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpo
Mar 21, 2011
N/m.

Grumpo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Devo posted:

. Also the dealer went down to my 14k out the door off the 14,9 sticker price.
Apologies if its been beat to death before, but if a dealer quotes a discount price ($1500 off!!) And then says 'we'll we have to get taxes and fees calculated first, but THEN we'll drop in the savings' it's time to walk right?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Grumpo posted:

So still leaning towards Challenger for the buy, but I have been doing research into other cars and am not so sure. Mustang Gt doesn't really impress me but the Shelby does. Camero has the best performance in class but I dislike the interior and the way it looks. If Hellcats were available I would consider maybe pulling out the extra cash but they aren't. I really like the way that the Challenger looks both inside and out, but I guess I'm getting cold feet. I'm not particularly loyal to any brand. Are there any foreign cars I should look out for? Again my goal for this car is road trips/occasional daily driver and track.

Have any of you guys done aftermarket mods to your cars? How does that affect the resale value/trade in (I'm assuming that modding voids any trade in offer.) I was thinking that maybe I could improve the Challenger incrementally over time and boost it to be more competitive. This is my first time dropping this kind of cash on anything and I don't really want to regret my decision the second I pull off of the lot. I am sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions and if this isn't the intended purpose of the thread.

Well I guess I would question why you need to buy such a big expensive car if you just want to drive spiritedly. I don't know if your situation demands having two vehicles but why not trade the Focus in for a Focus ST? You can still go around Focus-ing every day and then go fast on the weekends in the same car, without the need to replace huge tires and brakes. If you need two cars why not buy a used Miata?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

FilthyImp posted:

Apologies if its been beat to death before, but if a dealer quotes a discount price ($1500 off!!) And then says 'we'll we have to get taxes and fees calculated first, but THEN we'll drop in the savings' it's time to walk right?

Taxes and fees should be calculated off the final price you agree on. In our case we told the dealer what we wanted to walk out the door at and he changed the price so that we could get there (from $14,900 to roughly $12,900). The amount of the check they received from our credit union was exactly $14,000.

In Illinois at least title and doc fees are fixed, but the sales tax should be based on the final sale price. Calculating taxes on a higher price and then dropping in a discount seems weird/shady.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Grumpo posted:

So still leaning towards Challenger for the buy, but I have been doing research into other cars and am not so sure. Mustang Gt doesn't really impress me but the Shelby does. Camero has the best performance in class but I dislike the interior and the way it looks. If Hellcats were available I would consider maybe pulling out the extra cash but they aren't. I really like the way that the Challenger looks both inside and out, but I guess I'm getting cold feet. I'm not particularly loyal to any brand. Are there any foreign cars I should look out for? Again my goal for this car is road trips/occasional daily driver and track.

Have any of you guys done aftermarket mods to your cars? How does that affect the resale value/trade in (I'm assuming that modding voids any trade in offer.) I was thinking that maybe I could improve the Challenger incrementally over time and boost it to be more competitive. This is my first time dropping this kind of cash on anything and I don't really want to regret my decision the second I pull off of the lot. I am sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions and if this isn't the intended purpose of the thread.

You have poo poo tons of good foreign options if you are really considering hellcat money(50-60k): M3, M4, Cayman, etc. If you looking at stay in the Mustang GT to Challenger SRT range(30-45k) you might want to consider 235i, 135i, WRX STI, EVO, 370Z, etc. If you want something cheaper than you mod the crap out of consider a BRZ/FRS or a Miata.

Aftermarket mods generally have 0 resale/trade value unless you selling to a gearhead. I would generally recommend keeping all your stock parts, so you can factory reset your car before you sell or trade in.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
We're looking for a small used car, preferably hatchback, that gets excellent gas mileage and won't cost a ton to maintain. We will drive it maybe 7k miles/year (wife and I both work from home). We live in San Diego, it's kind of hilly, so as a tiebreaker something with enough power to enter highway traffic while going up a steep hill would be nice.

Proposed Budget: 13k all-in. With CA taxes, this means ~12k before taxes/fees.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Small, preferably hatchback
Other: Hopefully 35-40 mpg hwy, 28-32 city.

We've been looking at and driving 2012-2013 Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Yaris, and Nissan Versa. After reading the last several pages of this thread, I'm thinking we need to drive a Mazda3. Any others we should be considering? I previously owned a 1991 Corolla that I drove for 217k miles so I have a strong bias for the Corolla, but to get one in budget we probably need a 2011-2012 and my wife wants something newer. Plus I don't think they make Corolla hatchbacks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sub Par posted:

We're looking for a small used car, preferably hatchback, that gets excellent gas mileage and won't cost a ton to maintain. We will drive it maybe 7k miles/year (wife and I both work from home). We live in San Diego, it's kind of hilly, so as a tiebreaker something with enough power to enter highway traffic while going up a steep hill would be nice.

We've been looking at and driving 2012-2013 Ford Focus, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Yaris, and Nissan Versa. After reading the last several pages of this thread, I'm thinking we need to drive a Mazda3. Any others we should be considering? I previously owned a 1991 Corolla that I drove for 217k miles so I have a strong bias for the Corolla, but to get one in budget we probably need a 2011-2012 and my wife wants something newer. Plus I don't think they make Corolla hatchbacks.

I honestly think you'd be best off getting the nicest Prius that you can find in your budget over any of those cars for your usage case. The Corolla, Yaris and Versa are all bad cars, and 2012 was the first year of that Focus and more likely to have transmission issues.

You want a Skyactiv Mazda 3, and those are only 2012 and newer and it can be tough to find a Mazda 3 hatch for $12k that new.

Look at the Fiesta, that might meet your needs without stretching your budget.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

You want a Skyactiv Mazda 3, and those are only 2012 and newer and it can be tough to find a Mazda 3 hatch for $12k that new.

To add to this - while the pre-Skyactiv Mazda3 is still an excellent car, the fuel mileage is not.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Devo posted:

In Illinois at least title and doc fees are fixed, but the sales tax should be based on the final sale price. Calculating taxes on a higher price and then dropping in a discount seems weird/shady.
Exception- as far as I know cash back incentives work like rebates, so you pay tax on those amounts before they're deducted. You buy a car for $23,500 after a $500 incentive, you pay tax on a $24,000 car, your car's registered as a $24,000 car etc. Mathematically they're the same as adding money to your down payment. But yeah any time the dealership is doing math or calculating things for the buyer he should be wary.

FilthyImp posted:

You can always walk with the intention of doing your own math in peace and quiet, getting it firm in your head and coming back with a firm out-the-door price. You know your sales tax rate, and you can probably get estimates of the doc fees with some googling or from the salesman himself. If I'd walked away from every car lot that tried to screw me or blew me off I would have been unable to buy a car. They're all terrible.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sub Par posted:

You live in a hilly city, care a lot about milage, and are in a state probably awash in Priuses? Find the newest/nicest one you can.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Twerk from Home posted:

I honestly think you'd be best off getting the nicest Prius that you can find in your budget over any of those cars for your usage case.

IRQ posted:

You live in a hilly city, care a lot about milage, and are in a state probably awash in Priuses? Find the newest/nicest one you can.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I had assumed that the Prius would, by and large, be out of our price range. And just some very quick searching reveals that the only ones we can afford are in the 90k+ miles range. Is that really better than getting a used Corolla or Yaris (or similar)? I will research this but I have heard anecdotal reports of the batteries failing after a few years and costing on the order of $6k to replace.

I've driven the Fiesta and don't really like it, and I haven't yet driven a Mazda3 but I'm seeing a handful of Skyactiv ones for 12-13k in my area, so I guess I'll go test drive one. But seriously, even if the Prius I can afford is 90k+ miles, should I still be looking that direction? Thanks again.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Sub Par posted:

Thanks for the advice, guys. I had assumed that the Prius would, by and large, be out of our price range. And just some very quick searching reveals that the only ones we can afford are in the 90k+ miles range. Is that really better than getting a used Corolla or Yaris (or similar)? I will research this but I have heard anecdotal reports of the batteries failing after a few years and costing on the order of $6k to replace.

I've driven the Fiesta and don't really like it, and I haven't yet driven a Mazda3 but I'm seeing a handful of Skyactiv ones for 12-13k in my area, so I guess I'll go test drive one. But seriously, even if the Prius I can afford is 90k+ miles, should I still be looking that direction? Thanks again.

I'd take a 90k mile Prius over a 30k mile Yaris any day of the week with no hesitation.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Hm alright. It looks like we can stretch to $16k all-in, which would let us get a 2012 Prius C with 40-60k miles. I've never driven it, so I will go do that, but what do you guys think of that? Is there anything to be worried about with the C because it's a newer model?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Sub Par posted:

Hm alright. It looks like we can stretch to $16k all-in, which would let us get a 2012 Prius C with 40-60k miles. I've never driven it, so I will go do that, but what do you guys think of that? Is there anything to be worried about with the C because it's a newer model?

The Prius C is a different car than the Prius, it's absolutely terrible and gets worse highway fuel economy than a full-size Prius of the same model year while being a disaster to drive and cramped inside.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Alright, so we're finding some affordable 2010 Prius which is the oldest we can do (loan from a credit union and to get the 1.99% rate the car has to be 2010 or newer model year). These are in the 40-60k mileage range, so we'll go check them out. Thanks for your help.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
You can get some killer deals on new Priuses, FYI. My fiance recently bought a 2014 Prius, 0% financing, $0 down, for $21,000. That's heavily dependent on your credit and your negotiating skills, of course, but it can be done. I know its out of your budget, but it's good to know for all the guys recommending Priuses ITT.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Twerk from Home posted:

I honestly think you'd be best off getting the nicest Prius that you can find in your budget over any of those cars for your usage case. The Corolla, Yaris and Versa are all bad cars, and 2012 was the first year of that Focus and more likely to have transmission issues.

Look at the Fiesta, that might meet your needs without stretching your budget.

The automatic on the Fiesta is the same DCT as the Focus though?

Chevy Sonic and Hyundai Accent/Kia Rio maybe?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

The automatic on the Fiesta is the same DCT as the Focus though?

Chevy Sonic and Hyundai Accent/Kia Rio maybe?

My thought was that the budget would get a newer Fiesta than Focus, and that the problems are more likely / worse in older cars.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
We're about to have our first kid in February and would like a second car to make sure we both have transportation. We currently have a 2005 Scion xB with ~110k miles on it and would preferably like something a bit larger so it can also double as the vacation hauler a few times a year.

Location: Southwest Georgia. Also have family in the Chicago area and could possibly drive up with one car/down with two for the right deal.
Proposed budget: 10-13k, could stretch to 15k but that's a fairly hard cap.
New or Used: Prefer used.
Body Style: Minivan/large wagon/SUV/basically anything with more space than an xB.
How will you be using the car? Local driving (sub-10 mile round trips) with a few 1000-2000 mile trips for vacation/family a year. Our current xB runs <7500 miles a year.
Luxury Vehicle? Doesn't really matter.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, child safety, space for a growing family and its luggage. Gas mileage doesn't matter much since the drives are so short. We'd prefer something with similar height/entry as the xB since we're both tall. Cruise control for the long trips (seems to be standard on nearly everything I see now so probably not a big deal.) I feel like we could take something with a higher mileage than normal since it will be driven fairly lightly.

At the latest we'd want to buy before the end of March, but if deals are better in the next month+ we can do that as well.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Grumpo posted:

I love the Challenger, but it really is a big V8 couch. I'm not sure it is the best vehicle for a track day. It is HEAVY for a track car, and I say this as someone who tracks a station wagon.
For your price, something like a used corvette would be a better track car if you want power. That said, if you're just starting with track days, something light, not powerful, and possibility cheap makes sense. Like a miata, an FRS/BRZ, or an RX-8.

edit: I'd kill a man for a hellcat, but I wouldn't buy one as a track car.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

What's the best way to get rid of a worthless car? A friend of mine managed to seize the engine on his 2006 Chrysler Sebring, and is asking me for advice on how to sell a dead car. Is the best option really just whichever junkyard will tow it there?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the best way to get rid of a worthless car? A friend of mine managed to seize the engine on his 2006 Chrysler Sebring, and is asking me for advice on how to sell a dead car. Is the best option really just whichever junkyard will tow it there?

Pretty much a junk yard should offer 200-400 for a car any car with 4 tires and catalytic converter.

Grumpo
Mar 21, 2011
N/m.

Grumpo fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 18, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Thats not a bad idea. If you still have a note on your track car, make sure to get track day insurance :)

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
This is probably an uncommon question, but maybe not, and maybe this isn't the right place for it. My wife and I both bought newer cars this year (March and August) now I am in need of a winter car because I'm starting a new job in 2 weeks and the travel is pretty far during bad weather for my current car, and a third car would be handy to have around anyway (as SUV for dump runs, buying home repair stuff at Lowes, a third car in case one of ours in is the shop). My new job pays a lot more than my old job, so I could afford another car payment, but I'm looking to spend around the $10k mark and make extra payments enough to pay it off in a year or two tops. The problem is with just getting the newer better job I haven't got much savings (I could probably put like $2k down) also my credit is probably only mid to high 600's. Am I going to be able to get another car loan?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Get a dedicated set of winter tires and wheels. Going deeper into debt for an item that will only depreciate in value is not a wise move. Having only just last year finally fitting my car with snowies I will never again go without them. They make my RWD car do incredible things in dealing with Utah snowstorms. Things that any size SUVs couldn't do with as much ease and confidence on crap all season tires.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

A good set of winter tires and a cheap set of wheels will run you $1000. You could get both you and your wife a set for significantly less than a third car.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Don't forget to factor in insurance and other fixed costs of ownership. A third car would truly be a strange move in terms of financial responsibility.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

nm posted:

Thats not a bad idea. If you still have a note on your track car, make sure to get track day insurance :)

If you owe on a track car you can't afford it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BJA posted:

This is probably an uncommon question, but maybe not, and maybe this isn't the right place for it. My wife and I both bought newer cars this year (March and August) now I am in need of a winter car because I'm starting a new job in 2 weeks and the travel is pretty far during bad weather for my current car, and a third car would be handy to have around anyway (as SUV for dump runs, buying home repair stuff at Lowes, a third car in case one of ours in is the shop). My new job pays a lot more than my old job, so I could afford another car payment, but I'm looking to spend around the $10k mark and make extra payments enough to pay it off in a year or two tops. The problem is with just getting the newer better job I haven't got much savings (I could probably put like $2k down) also my credit is probably only mid to high 600's. Am I going to be able to get another car loan?

If I got a car loan you sure as hell can, but do you really need another car? Unless both of you are driving RWD cars entirely unsuited for snow/ice then you're probably fine. I know Maryland is not the pinnacle of winter weather, but I have never had a problem with a FWD car with all weather tires + not driving like an idiot, and I don't get to stay home if it snows unless it's really bad. If your newish cars are FWD just get some snow tires if you're that concerned and drive smart. The cost of a winter Subaru or whatever almost certainly isn't worth it unless your circumstances are extreme (you live in the boonies where nobody plows roads and you're off of a 45 degree gravel driveway, and even that I have done in a camry).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Bovril Delight posted:

If you owe on a track car you can't afford it.
Eh, if you can afford the extremely expensive insurance you probably can. Though I'd personally rather track a paid off slow car than a fast car with a note.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start sometime

IRQ posted:

If I got a car loan you sure as hell can, but do you really need another car? Unless both of you are driving RWD cars entirely unsuited for snow/ice then you're probably fine.

I actually live in NH, and it's a Mustang :) my wifes car will be fine with snow tires.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BJA posted:

I actually live in NH, and it's a Mustang :) my wifes car will be fine with snow tires.

And I have a 97 M3 with a wheel speed sensor that occasionally disables traction control and ABS with Utah snow (where the Olympics were held) and snow tires are amazing.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start sometime

Somewhat Heroic posted:

And I have a 97 M3 with a wheel speed sensor that occasionally disables traction control and ABS with Utah snow (where the Olympics were held) and snow tires are amazing.

My wife's is a 2008 135i AT, which I am actually looking forward to having fun with in the snow :)

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
A car purchase might be coming up on me quicker than I planned, so I want to have some ideas just in case.

Proposed Budget: $10-13K

Body Style: Coupe

How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, nothing strenuous. A couple of times a year I'll drive out of town to visit family, about 800 miles round trip.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Not really. I would really like a sound system where I can plug in my phone for charging, music, GPS, etc., but it's not a deal-breaker.

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)? Something sporty and responsive, though with reasonable MPG and a decently comfortable ride for the aforementioned road trips. That said, I am willing to sacrifice some comfort for fun, just so long as I'm not in a miserable bouncing shitbox. I don't have any kids or large pets to cart around, so I don't need a ton of room. This will be my only car, though, so I would like to have a back seat for the occasional extra passenger, and enough trunk space for groceries or a suitcase or whatever.

Also, this might sound shallow, but I don't like coupes that look just like 4-door sedans with the rear doors taken off. If I'm sacrificing practicality, then I want style, dammit :argh: If I can delay purchasing for another year or so then I was thinking about a Scion FR-S or a Mustang, but even the used ones seem to be out of my price range right now unless I get one with a ton of miles on it (which I don't want).

I have no clue how to work on a car, so no imports that need expensive parts and labor, please. ...Is this turning into the impossible dream and I should just get a Camry? :sigh:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

After reading that impossible dream of yours, the only thing that comes to mind is an 8th generation Honda Civic Si.

Coupe? -Check
Sporty? - Somewhat, depends on your definition
MPG? - Check
back seat - check
maintenance - I'm not a Honda guy, but it shouldn't be too bad.

The bad news is your budget. 10-13K will get you a 2006 to 2009 model with probably close to 100K miles on it. Increasing that to 15 or 16K would get you a much newer lower mile example.

Really though, those are tough set of parameters to find a car in, especially one without a ton of miles on it and you not knowing how to work on a car.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Blue Scream posted:

A car purchase might be coming up on me quicker than I planned, so I want to have some ideas just in case.

Proposed Budget: $10-13K

Body Style: Coupe

How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, nothing strenuous. A couple of times a year I'll drive out of town to visit family, about 800 miles round trip.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Not really. I would really like a sound system where I can plug in my phone for charging, music, GPS, etc., but it's not a deal-breaker.

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)? Something sporty and responsive, though with reasonable MPG and a decently comfortable ride for the aforementioned road trips.

Why do you want a coupe and what do you mean by 'sporty and responsive'? If you just want a coupe for the looks, Scion tCs are cheap, reliable, and efficient, but miserable to drive because it's a Toyota Corolla. Everything depends on what you mean by 'sporty' and 'reasonable mpg'.

If 'sporty' means fast, and 'reasonable mpg' means in the ballpark of 20mpg, what about a GTO? I see GTOs with an LS2 for $12k around me. Comfy, enough room to be only car, fast as hell.

Edit: After re-reading what you want, I think you just want a decent to drive economy car. The coupe version of the Civic SI is probably your best bet, though it definitely looks like a sedan with 2 doors taken off.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 17, 2014

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009
Any "sporty" car, especially the Civic SI/FR-S/GTO at a $10k price point will have been beaten to hell and back and will need maintenance. Grandma doesn't buy a high-revving civic to go to church.

Don't buy a sport model unless you have the money to fix it, or can fix it yourself. Typical AI response: if you can give up a back seat, Miata.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Gen Coupe maybe? I have no idea how much they cost offhand though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Gen Coupe maybe? I have no idea how much they cost offhand though.

The first model year for them was 2009, and I know for a fact that transaction prices on the V6 ones are around $30k because my brother in law bought one. Have they really depreciated that fast?

Edit: Autotrader says yes. Man I wish you could get 2012 Mustang GTs for $12k instead. They had the same prices new...