Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

what the world needs is more 2d metroid games with an emphasis on art direction over everything else, I think

I never thought the day would come where "travel across linear 2d stages from left to right" would start to feel like a long-lost innovation.

George Lazenby posted:

Thanks for the feedback, both of you! Good points. We only want to show areas that are fully completed, which makes for a seemingly samey environment true. At the moment your options for attacking are your sword, a few special moves and 3 different spells. Maybe I should look at adding more options to make gameplay more varied. Definitely something I should consider.

At this point with Metroidvanias my question would be what differentiates the game in terms of gameplay? Are there unusual abilities available to the player? Are there any unique features of the environment? Are the enemies particularly complex or surprising? Right now your game looks gorgeous, but a lot of the gameplay feels like stuff I'd seen before. You mention that the player will always feel pressed, but what does that mean? Do enemies take a lot of hits? Inflict high damage? Have difficult attack patterns to break through? What does that do for the game's pace? Etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

George, the section on abilities is ripe for giffage. Would help speak to the gameplay.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Nemo2342 posted:

Rocket Ranger: Reloaded has just started up their kickstarter.
Is this the sequel to Dark Void I've been waiting for?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
That NES game Lizard Kickstarter mentioned before is worth backing for updates alone. Lot of interesting stuff about NES game development.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Bieeardo posted:

The update e-mail suggests they're aiming for an Early Access release by the end of December. It'd be nice to see more of the story content, but I'm not complaining.
I'm guessing they'll release The Present (chapter 2 of 3) in mid-December and then The Future (final chapter) at the end of December, along with the Open Beta.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
How could anybody be so inept as to have "means of communication" so derelict that, of all people centric to your writing-heavy project, you don't manage to get ahold of said writer(s) for months at a time and then discover they've done precisely nothing and left? Skype, phones, email, IM clients---really, you couldn't reckon any of those ahead of time...while clearly being "with it" enough to run and manage a Kickstarter?

I don't understand how there can still be projects screwing up so badly here in 2014, though I guess this is something of a new level of screwing up versus most previously blundered projects.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ExiledTinkerer posted:

How could anybody be so inept as to have "means of communication" so derelict that, of all people centric to your writing-heavy project, you don't manage to get ahold of said writer(s) for months at a time and then discover they've done precisely nothing and left? Skype, phones, email, IM clients---really, you couldn't reckon any of those ahead of time...while clearly being "with it" enough to run and manage a Kickstarter?

I don't understand how there can still be projects screwing up so badly here in 2014, though I guess this is something of a new level of screwing up versus most previously blundered projects.

This is me being stupid, but I can't figure out what game you're talking about.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I'm just disappointed they couldn't divine the position of their writers. After all, they got money for the express purpose of building a good diviner.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ExiledTinkerer posted:

being "with it" enough to run and manage a Kickstarter?

This may not be the test of competence that you imagine.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Ah, verily. :wotwot:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I agree that Hollow Knight needs to show more variety in its environments. The art looks beautiful, but kind of gives off a depressing vibe. Showing some cheerier (or at least more colorful) environments would balance that out.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is me being stupid, but I can't figure out what game you're talking about.

They're talking about the Diviner, which was linked at the bottom of last page.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Megazver posted:

So The Diviner probably has a 50% chance of coming out, I suspect. Hope they actually manage to get their new writers to write something.
I think if all else fails they'll be able to scrape something together. My concern is on quality, as I backed because I got the impression the focus was on a close-knit writing team and it turns out it's anything but.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
Hey guys, it's me again. Just wanted to say that the Lovely Little Thieves kickstarter HAS passed its funding goal, so at this point if you would like a copy of the game, you can basically get a discount preorder price ($15) by grabbing it in the next five days. After the kickstarter ends, we will have pre-orders open for the game, but the price will be 10 dollars higher, so now that we're past the funding goal line and can produce the game, now's your last chance to get it at a discount right when it comes out if you were interested! :)

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Jay O posted:

Hey guys, it's me again. Just wanted to say that the Lovely Little Thieves kickstarter HAS passed its funding goal, so at this point if you would like a copy of the game, you can basically get a discount preorder price ($15) by grabbing it in the next five days. After the kickstarter ends, we will have pre-orders open for the game, but the price will be 10 dollars higher, so now that we're past the funding goal line and can produce the game, now's your last chance to get it at a discount right when it comes out if you were interested! :)

Congratulations. While the fact that it's part dating simulator has turned me off buying it, the fact it's also a choose your own adventure slasher horror almost made me ignore my distaste for romance games. So yeah it's a cool idea and totally deserves to be made/funded. Also it's always nice when a goon project is a success.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dating sims and whodunnit visual novels getting mashed together into a single entity is good & I hope it stays that way.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, I'm not sure how it's different than any old Hollywood movie where the Dashing Hero™ (or Heroine™, this is the 21st century after all) and Lovely Maiden™ get together at the end. Just think of it this way- at least now you can decide who the girl ends up with.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
When is someone finally going to Kickstart and develop "Scarecam: The Game", the simulator in which you attempt to determine and exploit the phobias of various artificial personalities who have volunteered to test your product.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Has anyone tried out Massive Chalice?

I got the key, but I don't like Early Access so i'm waiting for version 1.0 before playing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Given Double Fine's doings lately I can't see going Early Access again unless it was something massively compelling.

And I've never liked being an unpaid beta tester unless... once again, it's massively compelling.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure how it's different than any old Hollywood movie where the Dashing Hero™ (or Heroine™, this is the 21st century after all) and Lovely Maiden™ get together at the end. Just think of it this way- at least now you can decide who the girl ends up with.

Very much this. It's not "oh hey, we're trapped in a house that's actively killing us off but let's FLIRT AND DATE." No. All the choices are based around the survival and mystery aspect, and those choices just happen to end up aligning you with one character over the others, possibly romantically (or possibly not.) Even then, the romance is more "against all odds last survivors Hunger Games love conquers all" in nature than "tee hee you won this person's heart!" dating sim stuff.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

RottenK posted:

Has anyone tried out Massive Chalice?

I got the key, but I don't like Early Access so i'm waiting for version 1.0 before playing.

I've only played for a bit, but at least the early bit is decently polished.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
It's pretty good! I wouldn't say "massively compelling" but what's there is a complete game, more or less. The enemy types and player classes are all really well thought out and all fairly dangerous -- Bulwarks have a piercing long-range shot and become virtually invulnerable for one turn after they take damage meaning you're almost forced to position to take them down over multiple turns. Twitchers are scary melee brutes that can swap positions with one of your guys and then pummel someone with a stunning melee attack.

Balancing is a bit wonky, and while the enemies do upgrade into "advanced" types as the game goes on, they don't really gain any new tricks. It's lacking a bit of the XCOM progression into progressively scarier dudes as time goes on and the fact there are only three classes similarly limits the breadth of experience (though hybrid classes are coming, supposedly?).

I actually really like the "long war" conceit of the game, where characters grow older and eventually die. There are incentives for you to move older and more experienced characters out of combat and into positions where they can leverage their higher stats into research, training (passive XP gain between combat) or fathering/mothering your next generation of warriors. There's also small prompts that come up (Such as "Your Sagewright made a strange box? Do you turn it on, leave it there, or burn the dang thing?") which can take your fighters out of action for several years, or give them personality traits that can be passed on. It's pretty neat, since part of the game I was managing the passing down of some super-trait that boosted strength by 10.

If anything, I sort of wish they emphasized the fact that characters aged and got worn down by combat more, forcing you to either rotate people in and out, or to retire someone early because she took too many blows and has a half-collapsed lung as a result.

This is all to say that it's not a "half-finished but we'll finish it later!" game, but rather a complete game that feels like it could be expanded.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Nemo2342 posted:

Rocket Ranger: Reloaded has just started up their kickstarter.

Ugggh, why couldn't it be Rocket Jockey!!!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

AxeManiac posted:

Ugggh, why couldn't it be Rocket Jockey!!!

I'm still waiting right there with you buddy. Best demo of all time.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
So I guess the phrase "world builders" in the diviner update means "idea guys/gals". They've got a programmer, an idea guy, and an artist on the team. But no writers.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Verdugo posted:

So I guess the phrase "world builders" in the diviner update means "idea guys/gals". They've got a programmer, an idea guy, and an artist on the team. But no writers.

"Worldbuilding" in the context of writing is when you design parts of the setting the story takes place in. In a fantasy sense, this could be factions, cities, races, alliances, etc. A world builder is basically a writer.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, an update for Moon Intern went out a couple of days ago. It reads like one of the desperate e-mails I might have sent to a prof the night before the due date of an unstarted essay, but that just makes it strangely endearing.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe

Segmentation Fault posted:

"Worldbuilding" in the context of writing is when you design parts of the setting the story takes place in. In a fantasy sense, this could be factions, cities, races, alliances, etc. A world builder is basically a writer.

In most game studios I've dealt with a 'worldbuilder' is typically the person who literally constructs the world, like making a map for an FPS. Creating art assets is one job - Putting them into a game and making a playable level out of it is another, and is a task that can just as often fall on a designer's shoulders instead of an artist's.

People who do "world building" in a story/narrative sense typically have the job title of "narrative designer". Or just "designer", depending on who you're talking to.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah but really pretentious writers will also call themselves worldbuilders.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I've never seen "world builder" refer to map creation. I've always seen them referred to as "mappers."

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Or at least Level Lords.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Verdugo posted:

"World builder" could mean nearly anything but saying their initial team had six world builders of which two are writers it does set off a few alarm bells about a team of idea guys/gals.

Now that I've reviewed the pitch I'm a little surprised I didn't notice they didn't have anyone in the position of lead writer.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Jay O posted:

Very much this. It's not "oh hey, we're trapped in a house that's actively killing us off but let's FLIRT AND DATE." No. All the choices are based around the survival and mystery aspect, and those choices just happen to end up aligning you with one character over the others, possibly romantically (or possibly not.) Even then, the romance is more "against all odds last survivors Hunger Games love conquers all" in nature than "tee hee you won this person's heart!" dating sim stuff.

Okay maybe it'll be worth a shot. I'll have a proper look at it tomorrow.

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe

I've never seen "world builder" refer to map creation. I've always seen them referred to as "mappers."

https://www.linkedin.com/vsearch/p?title=world+builder&orig=TSEO_SN&trk=TSEO_SN&domainCountryName=&csrfToken=ajax%3A1642883914726643043 -- If the person is actually creating (modelling/texturing) the art assets their position is usually referred to as an "environment artist", but the task of "take these art assets and make a playable environment from them" is typically referred to as "world building".

There are people out there who have worldbuilding as their primary job (working on MMOs, FPSes, etc.), but on smaller teams and projects the work will usually be done either by the artist making the assets or the gameplay designer.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

3.5 years in industry, I've always seen world builder used to mean level designer or environment artist. I haven't heard the term mapper in a decade, but I don't work on fps games.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

I've heard it refer to that a lot, from people who are both doing it in the industry and as a specific hirable role in the industry. I have never heard anyone call anyone a mapper, ever, since the PC Game Modding heyday of Duke3D/Quake/Halflife.

I have had a designer call the large "world bible" of fiction setting elements world building, but typically people are referring to actually constructing the "world" on games where environment art and level design/layout are tightly linked (as opposed to a level designer "designing" and then an environment artist swooping in over the esigner geo to make it actually pretty).

Of course I only have 8 years of professional experience in the games industry so I could be wrong :v:

But that's all dickwaving. When you have 2 people as writers on a kickstarter game it is because you don't know what you're doing and will never ship a loving game.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

George Lazenby posted:

Hey so even though I've just been lurking this thread rather than contributing amazing pearls of wisdom, anyone want to take a look at a preview link for our Kickstarter and give some feedback? We're making Hollow Knight, a 2D action-adventure for PC/Mac/Linux.

Preview link here

I don't know much about Kickstarter, or marketing in general really. Luckily the guy I'm working with is an incredible artist, and his work is really strong. If you have a few minutes, take a look! Let me know what you think of the trailer, whether you get a good sense of the game, whether you'd consider pledging etc. Anything really will help! We're kind of winging it on rewards and stuff, just basing it on successful Kickstarters we've seen.

Here's a pic to get you interested enough to click the link (hopefully):

Looks good- all the usual pitfalls of not having a working product, not displaying the working product, or not having gifs of the working product are not present so I'd say you did your due diligence. The gifs look a little choppy, I'd take another crack at them or try converting them to that new psuedo-video format to smooth them out.

It looks like Team Cherry is a new group, so if you have experience bottom lining projects or making deliverable for deadlines, that would be good to advertise. Jun 2015 is a pretty quick turnaround time for a kickstarted project, so either internally or externally I'd be making plans for what to do if development drags to 9 months, a year, or more. Usually people promise the moon and then deliver late, which backers are comfortable with, but make sure you have backup cash on hand for food/housing while running over your time budget. Other than that it looks like a good game, I'd probably pick it up on a whim on Steam.

mutata posted:

3.5 years in industry, I've always seen world builder used to mean level designer or environment artist. I haven't heard the term mapper in a decade, but I don't work on fps games.

I see level designers have gotten a touch of the sandwich-artist-itus.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Haha, yeah! gently caress them, right?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

mutata posted:

Haha, yeah! gently caress them, right?!

I think he was just joking.

Also I have no formal experience in game development so I'll take anyone's word for it as to what people call level designers. I've just seen "mapper" used a lot in the FPS modding community so I assumed that was what they were called.