Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
That was all very spectacular, but yeah, totally baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
So, Angel's Atma is the Maelstrom, and it's one big toothy swirl of a mouth. She's rather unique in that her element is Almighty, and she takes barely any damage from such attacks. Hari-Hara is probably my favorite design and her music owns so yeah Angel is great.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

a cartoon duck posted:

If you think about it, all of Angel's lines are dumb as all hell but I didn't even realise it the first time because her voice actress sells the gently caress out of them.

Also I'm pretty her green sphere is a reference to Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (spoilers for endgame content of that game): The final boss is the same kinda sphere, only bigger and blue. Also destroying it in a secret ending ends the world, much like how destroying the green sphere pretty immediately wrecks the Junkyard.

Yeah, I immediately thought the green sphere looked like a mini Kagutsuchi.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Petiso posted:

You absolutely do not need this, specially if you are strong enough to beat the bonus bosses.

Which is why I still won. It just turned out more difficult than I expected.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I fight for Exp. and GP.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are we suppose to answer that question?

Yes.

With your blood.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
There is a new reason, a new law; we must devour those weaker than us! :jerky:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Pesky Splinter posted:

There is a new reason, a new law; we must devour those weaker than us! :jerky:

So chaos, but with cannibalism. Well, more cannibalism. :sparkles:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The choice is easy, Musubi is the gooniest Reason. Let's create a world where I never have to interact with another person again.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Can't we all just gush about Mary Elizabeth McGlynn being loving awesome instead? Holy poo poo I have never heard her in a bad role, she is so great :allears:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Can't we all just gush about Mary Elizabeth McGlynn being loving awesome instead? Holy poo poo I have never heard her in a bad role, she is so great :allears:

I didn't think there was anything particularly stand-out about Angel's VA. Sounds like pretty generic anime big-bad kinda stuff to me.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Strangely, I think my favourite role of hers is Dr. Angelicus in Baroque. All her lines have a kind of tone like she's begging the main character (and by extension, the player) to understand her.

Baroque's also a great companion to DDS, in some ways - great soundtrack, bleak atmosphere, compelling, if confusing story, and you have to eat parts of your enemies to survive and augment yourself.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So that was some interesting poo poo with Gale. I don't know about anybody else but it seems that he too was someone from outside shoved into the Junkyard. Not that he's as aware of it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Has anyone read the novel version? I'm wondering how much of the game it covers.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I've read the first and only volume available in english so far (volume 2 has already been confirmed) and it covers until they first meet Lupa. Keep in mind several events prior to this happen quite differently.

Slayer0
Jan 14, 2012

YOUR SHINING BOY
I'd just like to say that I love the LP, and am currently using it as a guide as I try to blaze through DDS1 as quickly as possible again so I can get to 2. Definitely learned quite a bit and I think I'm doing better except for when Vasuki kept kicking my rear end for some reason

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Can't wait to see you versus the super secret ultimate boss of this duo of games. I do have hope for you...just not a lot considering how he is one of the hardest RPG bosses in existence that ISN'T unbeatable or a hack boss.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
According to the developers, he is so hard that they could only beat him about half the time, even with debug tools at their disposal. Of course, we don't know what strategy they were using, or how perfect their play was. Still, to balance him so finely on the edge between beatable and unbeatable, Atlus should be applauded. Unlike a certain FF boss I could name.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Montegoraon posted:

Unlike a certain FF boss I could name.

Absolute Virtue?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I can never remember if it's that one or the Warden thing that's the super-annoyingly bad XI boss. I know they both were but one was waaaaay worse and the other has become a joke more recently.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
People still play FF XI?

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

I can never remember if it's that one or the Warden thing that's the super-annoyingly bad XI boss. I know they both were but one was waaaaay worse and the other has become a joke more recently.

Well, yes, there's the Pandemonium Warden too, but Absolute Virtue is worse for a couple reasons, even if it is now beatable. The main one being every time people figured out how to beat it, the developers would either strengthen it or nerf the tactic that was used. As far as I'm concerned, both are disqualified from any consideration of strong video game bosses. "Takes so long to beat that your bladder explodes" is not a valid difficulty criterion.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Most of the reason AV was ridiculous was the hoops you had to jump through to get to him. He only spawned after you defeated another superboss, and immediately engaged anyone who survived. To summon him, you needed 3 items, each of which dropped off of 3 other summoned bosses, who each needed 3 other items that came off of other non-summoned bosses. If you failed to kill said boss, you wouldn't get the item back and you'd have to start again.

If AV managed to despawn then congratulations, start back at the very beginning.

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.
If I recall - and I may be wrong here - every method that was NOT the developers' chosen method was nerfed into oblivion for Absolute Virtue, and the near 24-hour-long marathon against Pandamonium Warden caused the team to introduce a timer which just outright de-spawns a boss once you hit zero.

The true methods for defeating Absolute Virtue and Pandamonium Warden, for those who are curious, involved, for AV, people in the raid using their two-hour abilities within a certain amount of time after AV used the very same ability - which I believe both sealed that particular ability from AV's use AND cancelled that usage, and for PW, you had to slaughter all of its adds or else PW would just resurrect at full health all over again.

I could be wrong, though, but that's the impression I got.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Dragonatrix posted:

I think that's Absolute Virtue of 11. Every time the playerbase managed to kill it, Squeenix shat on them all and buffed the boss as well as making the tactics against it previously completely useless.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Dragonatrix posted:

Well, they're both super-annoyingly bad, just in different ways.

AV is the one that the dev team constantly tweaked to counter player strategies over a period of, like, 4 years, until the level cap was raised and he got a serious nerf. What's really funny is that all those tweaks they made? Totally understandable. Players were winning by exploiting glitches and AI loops, that's the only way they could do it. Years and years after the fact people figured out the "right" way to fight him and it turns out it's really unforgiving and stupid and maybe impossible at the old level cap, but who knows. AV is the so-bad-its-kind-of-funny one.

Pandemonium Warden was the other superboss that the game has. It was designed to have multiple forms, one for every kind of boss monster in it's expansion. The phases started at taking maybe 20 minutes to kill and some of the latter phases would take over an hour. There were 20 phases. The last phase had three separate raid-wipe mechanics. There was only one serious attempt on this guy, it lasted 18.5 hours to end in failure, everyone attempting it quit the game, and it even got actual honest-to-god press in some gaming journalism circles before SE stepped in and nerfed the fight. PW is the so-bad-holy-poo poo-its-actually-horrible one.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Montegoraon posted:

According to the developers, he is so hard that they could only beat him about half the time, even with debug tools at their disposal. Of course, we don't know what strategy they were using, or how perfect their play was.

Most game developers actually tend to be really bad at their games, I've found.

I do hope you don't mean the first game's superboss though, that boss is designed terribly.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 18, 2014

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Oh so one cool thing I don't know if was mentioned, when she's in her offense form Hari-Hara dances. Because she is Shiva, who is Nataraja, Lord of the Dance.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Kliff posted:

for AV, people in the raid using their two-hour abilities within a certain amount of time after AV used the very same ability - which I believe both sealed that particular ability from AV's use AND cancelled that usage

This wasn't even the hard part. Once this was figured out (three years later after release...) people could actually start bringing his health down meaningfully (one of his lockable abilities was an instant no-questions-asked full HP restore). But once his HP hit a certain level, he'd whip out a pair of bracelets and start pelting everyone with Meteor over and over, which did more than most people's max HP in one shot and had an area of effect so large that if you could see AV at all, you were dead.

The actual thing that let the playerbase trivialise AV was the addition of the summon Alexander, who cut all incoming damage by 90+% for a limited time. Cycling that ability from a bunch of Summoners is a tactic so overpowered that it's basically the playerbase's crutch to this day (what meager players remain).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
If I recall correctly, Absolute Virtue was also never really intended to be defeated to begin with. The first time a raid group actually managed to win, it didn't drop any loot at all because there was no loot table assigned to it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

On a non-FFXI note, both Digital Devil Saga games are on sale on EU PSN for a whole €3 each. That's a goddamn steal and if you're reading this and don't have them yet, this is the best time to fix that.

....what im saying is please fix that you wont regret it

Dont know about US though sorry!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah, these are really great games that are worth giving a whirl at if you haven't.

Also the only good SMT bonus boss is Margaret, because she's tough but 100% fair.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dragonatrix posted:

On a non-FFXI note, both Digital Devil Saga games are on sale on EU PSN for a whole €3 each. That's a goddamn steal and if you're reading this and don't have them yet, this is the best time to fix that.

....what im saying is please fix that you wont regret it

Dont know about US though sorry!

Atlus games are on sale every other month in the US, so gently caress you guys.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Atlus games are on sale every other month in the US, so gently caress you guys.

So loving much this.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Feinne posted:

Yeah, these are really great games that are worth giving a whirl at if you haven't.

Also the only good SMT bonus boss is Margaret, because she's tough but 100% fair.

All SMT bosses are fair, they work within the rules of the games they're in. It's the players job to break the system over your knee to beat their rear end like an uppity 6 yearold.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

cdyoung posted:

All SMT bosses are fair, they work within the rules of the games they're in. It's the players job to break the system over your knee to beat their rear end like an uppity 6 yearold.
Like the dude with a costless "Gain 2 press turn, no questions asked", Mind Charge and Meggidoleon?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Iceclaw posted:

Like the dude with a costless "Gain 2 press turn, no questions asked", Mind Charge and Meggidoleon?

He goes down like a chump if, like me, you went ahead and cleared the Labyrinth of Amala and got Pierce before challenging him.

Edit: vvvv: Mot's AI in Nocturne has been known to chain Beast Eye, Makakaja and Megidolaons over and over and just wiping the floor with you.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 20, 2014

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that

Iceclaw posted:

If nothing else, when they give themselves extra press turns they're half-turns so they can't crit into more.

I'm pretty sure there isn't anyone who uses a more turns move more than once during the same turn, right? I don't feel like I can make that claim wholesale because there might be one somewhere that does.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yeah, Mot is THE guy everyone thinks of when it comes to that. If you haven't seen this video yet, you really should:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIjVvnO5lgM

e;

Neurion posted:

He goes down like a chump if, like me, you went ahead and cleared the Labyrinth of Amala and got Pierce before challenging him.

He's also weak to Elec which helps a ton too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yeah but he still completely bypass the system if the stars align and hé chains Beast Eye.

• Locked thread