Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Yuriy posted:

I don't know where these Rose stories are from about Roufous Sport, can you like describe what poo poo goes down?

Is it like Chute Box level?

Doesn't my main man Funky Ben train there

Blame longpants kickboxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

the posts on rose's instagram are accounts from other people who have trained there and are pretty damning. even if the training plays a big factor the negligence from the doctor & ref is probably equally to blame.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuriy posted:

I don't know where these Rose stories are from about Roufous Sport, can you like describe what poo poo goes down?

Is it like Chute Box level?

Doesn't my main man Funky Ben train there

Check her twitter/instagram. Basically the short version is that she and a number of others are accusing the coaches there of physically and mentally abusing fighters in their care - putting 35ers and women in against big men for hard-contact sparring, berating them as wimps when they get hurt, pressuring them into continuing, &c.

https://twitter.com/rosenamajunas/status/534145581925797888 I think this one encapsulates it well.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 17, 2014

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Apparently he cut 8 pounds as a bantamweight with no instruction/training on how to cut/rehydrate, for a same day weigh-in. 8 isnt much for a pro but can really gently caress you up if you dont know what to do.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Yuriy posted:

Different states have different amateur rulesets, some even don't allow ground and pound, I don't think I've ever seen any amateur MMA with headgear though.

Yeah in Florida amateur fights have no shots to the head on the ground whatsoever. Big thing is that you get a count (like boxing) on knockdowns. Shin guards, but no headgear.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time we've heard accusations of Duke Roufus being a massive scumbag.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Guess we're going to start seeing Pettis knocked out more often (if he ever fights again)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
jfc, I used to train at Duke's and never saw any of that. It must be completely isolated to the upper-level guys. The coaches for us mere humans were pretty loving insistent about never going hard in sparring.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

K8.0 posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time we've heard accusations of Duke Roufus being a massive scumbag.

CommonShore posted:

Check her twitter/instagram. Basically the short version is that she and a number of others are accusing the coaches there of physically and mentally abusing fighters in their care - putting 35ers and women in against big men for hard-contact sparring, berating them as wimps when they get hurt, pressuring them into continuing, &c.

https://twitter.com/rosenamajunas/status/534145581925797888 I think this one encapsulates it well.

Wow they're like just a couple steps removed from Lloyd Irvin levels of abuse there.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

There were points in Roufus' podcast with Rogan where I cringed he was talking about certain sparring sessions they'd have where guys would be going to war in his gym and he was bragging about how he always had people leave who weren't tough enough.

Rogan has spoken about it before too and that's that a lot of guys have had occasions where they were knocked out in the weeks leading up to their fights and then been loving starched during really easily. Concussions occurring close together and consistently are worse for you than big ones further apart. These stories are shocking. most gyms these days advocate stopping as soon as someone gets wobbled and then that's it for their week at the least. This kind of mentality is loving stupid and now its more than likely contributed to a kid getting killed.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'm not going to enjoy watching Pettis lose brain cells inside the Octagon one day.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

From listening to Rogan's podcast with Duke, I got the impression his older brother was a psychopath in training, but they both became world champions. He still trains the same way, but he doesn't understand that he succeeded in spite of training like that, not because.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Street Horrrsing posted:

From listening to Rogan's podcast with Duke, I got the impression his older brother was a psychopath in training, but they both became world champions. He still trains the same way, but he doesn't understand that he succeeded in spite of training like that, not because.

Something about that Rick Roufus vs Changpuek Kietsongrit video and the interviews in it gave me a sense of them not being very nice people.

e. according to twitter Karyn Bryant has an interview with Rose and Pat coming up p.soon.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 17, 2014

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

That literature lady happened to be there when Koch caught his first concussion: before weigh-ins for his fight from Duke Roufus, who was air jabbing while looking the other way and talking to Pettis. When I first read it it didn't stand out beyond a dumb mistake but at the very least shows Duke as indifferent to his fighters' health.

quote:

That afternoon Duke and Erik and Pettis were training in a Hilton conference room the organizers had filled, for the week, with mats. Duke ran Erik through some striking maneuvers, holding bright red pads for Erik to slam with side-kicks and jabs.
“Niiice,” Duke kept saying, “doin’ some work tonight, doin’ some work tonight.”
Erik was visibly weak with hunger, and Duke stopped him after a short while. Duke turned to Pettis, who had a fight coming up in three months against a particularly squirrelly fighter named Clay Guida. Guida was a bouncy, raggedy, long-haired Tasmanian devil of a man who barreled into each punch, getting deep inside his opponent’s range and then striking with a wild hook that looked sloppy but seemed to knock out enough people to warrant respect.
“Move like Guida,” Duke told Erik, intending to demonstrate for Pettis how best to catch him. So Erik jerked back and forth in a manic Guida-like manner. Duke faced Erik and matched his swaying motion for a moment, then turned back to Pettis. “So it just takes a quick jab,” he said, and jerked his right hand in a tight quick motion meant to catch a moving target. Duke had not realized that Erik was still directly in front of him, swaying. And so Duke, a 6′4″ 220-pound champion kickboxer jabbed 145-pound Erik in the head. For the first time in his life, Erik staggered backward as if tripped.
“Whoa whoa whoa,” said Pettis.
“Oh no, sorry,” said Duke.
“You aright bro?” asked Pettis.
Erik smiled as he steadied himself against the wall, which gave Duke and Pettis permission to laugh. It was not terribly uncommon to punch someone slightly too hard in practice, to “get one’s bell rung,” to accidentally unleash one’s power in a setting meant for gentle play. “I’m OK, I’m OK,” he said, laughing. “Whoops!”
With this assurance, Duke and Pettis continued to practice for another fifteen minutes while Erik watched, and then Erik went back to his hotel room to make lists of foods he would enjoy the following evening.

He later fought and beat Assuncao but had to pull out of his next one iirc to deal with the concussion.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jesus, he really got a concussion, from his trainer, at the weigh in before the fight? That is hosed.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Count Roland posted:

Jesus, he really got a concussion, from his trainer, at the weigh in before the fight? That is hosed.

Yeah, I know accidents happen all the time, but it's insane that he thought Koch's weigh in was the best time to start getting Pettis ready for Clay Guida, out of nowhere.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

There is nothing wrong with that story.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

There is something wrong with your brain.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Dangersim posted:

the claims of guida knocking people out with a hook seems to likely be wrong

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

There is something wrong with your brain.

It seems Duke Roufous is an rear end in a top hat and doesn't care about people's health, but a professional fighter accidentally getting caught with a stiff jab during a demonstration is not shocking or newsworthy.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dangersim posted:

It seems Duke Roufous is an rear end in a top hat and doesn't care about people's health, but a professional fighter accidentally getting caught with a stiff jab during a demonstration is not shocking or newsworthy.

But to get a concussion from it? If that is indeed what happened.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Count Roland posted:

But to get a concussion from it? If that is indeed what happened.

He staggered back. That's all it says.

Maybe it was a concussion, but it was an accident and nothing about that story sounds particularly negligent.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

david carmichael posted:

the claims of guida knocking people out with a hook seems to likely be wrong

lol

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

nothing about that story sounds particularly negligent.

Except for the part where he punched his fighter in the face.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Except for the part where he punched his fighter in the face.

Negligence can cause accidents but accidents can happen without negligence.

If the argument is seriously "Duke Roufus is negligent because he doesn't keep his gaze straight forward all the time like batman" then maybe we just disagree

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

mewse posted:

If the argument is seriously "Duke Roufus is negligent because he doesn't keep his gaze straight forward all the time like batman" then maybe we just disagree

Looking away while punching at a man who doesn't have much water in his body to cushion his brain is a bad idea. Did he get concussed? Maybe maybe not. Was it negligent? Yeah, a bit.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

mewse posted:

This is stupid. He definitely should be looking in the same direction he is punching. Especially if a fighter he coaches is right in front of him.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Dangersim posted:

He staggered back. That's all it says.

Maybe it was a concussion, but it was an accident and nothing about that story sounds particularly negligent.

I didn't post more since the quote was long enough as is, but this is a known concussion that caused him to drop out of a later fight. The only thing new to the book is how it happened (Roufus was thinking about Pettis and neglecting the fighter about to fight).

edit: here's from after the weigh-in

quote:

What Erik did not tell anyone that night was how, as he first looked up at the kaleidoscopic radiance of Times Square, he felt confused about where he was; about how he could not focus for long on a single point. We didn’t notice him swerving on the sidewalk, losing, for a brief moment, his balance. As we stared at a woman vomiting on New Jersey transit on our ride back to the hotel, we did not see Erik holding onto his seat as if there were some risk of it crumbling underneath him.

Back at the hotel, Erik told Pettis, and only Pettis, that he was disoriented and dizzy, and that it had started with Duke’s jab.

“That sounds like the kind of thing,” said Pettis, “where you go to sleep and don’t wake up.”

Faced with this most ominous prognosis, Erik was really and truly terrified. He took Pettis to mean that if he were knocked out the following day, at the fight, he would very likely die. But were he to tell Duke of his disorientation, the fight would certainly be canceled, the months of training and self-starvation all for naught, the eminent men who controlled the Big Shows ill-disposed toward him for ruining a fight but hours before it was slated to transpire. Erik thus elected to take his chances and tell no one else; and so Duke and I would watch the next night unfold in utter ignorance.

eshock fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 18, 2014

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Duke roufus also had an anecdote about how "back in '07, we took anthony and sergio down for a boot camp with pat militech, and really gave them hell. They did great, and that's when I knew they were special."

Sergio's 20 now, so seven years ago he'd have been...

At the time, I thought he was shoehorning Sergio into one of Anthony's stories to talk both of them up, but maybe he really did take a 13 year old to a no holds barred boot camp.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
People getting knocked the gently caress out and forced to spar far larger and more experienced people was a pretty common Miletich thing back in the day. Pat still talks about it fondly in interviews.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Even Roufus was saying poo poo was rough at Miletich.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Good thing Matt Hughes never had a brain to ruin.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Pat Miletich posted:

When I first held the UFC title, I was a special guest at a kickboxing event in Chicago where a kid died. I was sitting ringside. I didn’t know the kid, but he got knocked down, got up, and then collapsed. The referee started counting—the kid was literally three feet from me, his head was turned toward me, and I saw his pupils go jet black. I climbed in between the ropes, pulled the kid’s mouthpiece out, and I told the referee, “Stop counting. This kid’s in trouble.”

The kid stretched out and stopped breathing right as three volunteer firemen climbed in—they were there watching the fights, but they jumped in with me. We started CPR and he turned dark blue right in front of us. We worked on him for about eight minutes until the ambulance got there. They didn’t have a ring doctor upstairs—he was downstairs tending to a kid with a broken nose. The ambulance got there, and he was dead. He died in my hands. I never wanted to be the guy that had to tell a kid’s parents why something seriously bad happened to him in the ring or the cage because I didn’t train him correctly.

From that point on, the training room was to create champions but also to thin the herd and make sure the people that did not belong in the cage didn’t go into the cage. The guys that couldn’t handle it, we got rid of ‘em quickly. It was very harsh to a lot of people. A lot of people thought that I was an rear end in a top hat, but I did it to make sure I didn’t ever have a kid on my team end up in that situation.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

So rude of that weak rear end kid to die, but at least Pat learned an important lesson!

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Pat's a weirdo and he's absolutely convinced his 24/7 skull trauma routine is the only reason none of his teammates died

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Too many Pats. I had to scroll up to figure out if we were talking about dogtags-highfive Pat or welterweight-wedgie Pat.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pat's logic is like shooting yourself with .22LR to develop an immunity to larger caliber rounds.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I saw a kid die so Imma punch some kids harder to make sure they dont die what who am I?!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am playing through the latest UFC game just now.

It's way easier to get someone into a submission immediately after THEY take me down to the ground with a shoot - is this how it actually works in real life?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
There are a lot fights that have ended with someone diving into a guillotine or something like that, so sometimes yeah.