Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Tank Boy Ken posted:

My Hunchback can walk up to 1728 (turn to face south) and then make sweet tender love to the Dragon. The Blackjack could jump behind the Dragon (to 1830) and shower it in 0.50s. And the Assasin might run into 1828 and shoot the Dragon in the face.

I guess giving the Dragon a 7 to hit me isn't the smartest thing ever, but so far he has missed me on every turn. I hope my luck continues (Not going to talk much about me missing with my MRM). We might also kick the poo poo out of his legs after shooting it!

P.S.
The Clint could move to 1730 and close off another way for the Dragon to exit. Forcing him to turn and move through at least one building next round, thus using up 3 of his 8 MP. Severely limiting his movement options.

The Catapult, Charger and Centurion could also retreat into that general area. Though the Centurion doesn't will probably take some shots this turn.

Retreat isn't an option. The battle is to be joined, and if they back off I'm out there on my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Catapult here. Should I stick with the Gladiator (walk back 1 to 1430, fire everything) or am I needed on the Phoenix Hawk (from 1030, as was suggested earlier, or from 1028 or 1427)?

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Tank Boy Ken posted:

My Hunchback can walk up to 1728 (turn to face south) and then make sweet tender love to the Dragon. The Blackjack could jump behind the Dragon (to 1830) and shower it in 0.50s. And the Assasin might run into 1828 and shoot the Dragon in the face.

One small issue. Your ADHD trait. I think you shot the Dragon last turn?

Something I noticed, if you move up one hex you could get medium range the Glad and be out of LOS from the Dragon.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Focused fire is the best fire.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Kial posted:

Something I noticed, if you move up one hex you could get medium range the Glad and be out of LOS from the Dragon.

I shot a radio shed in the last turn (due to not having any good targets) and the Gladiator might easily move out of my line of fire (since he moves after us). And I'm one of the few mechs close to the Dragon that can take a hit of the AC/20 in all locations (except for the head). Getting close gives us a good chance to wreck the Dragon. Taking another enemy mech out.

The Warhammer could jump to 429 and kill another Villa, and next round to 433 to get back to the main "blob" semi safely. Or jump to 0331 this turn and shoot Blind Sal.

P.S.
Is there a special reason for the technical in 2722 not having moved at all?

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I shot a radio shed in the last turn (due to not having any good targets) and the Gladiator might easily move out of my line of fire (since he moves after us). And I'm one of the few mechs close to the Dragon that can take a hit of the AC/20 in all locations (except for the head). Getting close gives us a good chance to wreck the Dragon. Taking another enemy mech out.

The Warhammer could jump to 429 and kill another Villa, and next round to 433 to get back to the main "blob" semi safely. Or jump to 0331 this turn and shoot Blind Sal.

P.S.
Is there a special reason for the technical in 2722 not having moved at all?

Ahh thats right I clicked on the wrong turn. The Glad moves after shooting, but go for what you think is best. If you moved into the AC 20's medium range you could probably make his to hit a 9 or 10.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Yeah the downside is that it would also make my to-hit worse. And we do have some people out for blood coming from the right flank. They need to get close (MGs and Small Laser). They do have less armor so it makes more sense (or not) to give the Dragon a good armored target to shoot at.

The Gladiator has to deal with at least the Catapult and Centurion. This should do it. Unless they want to finish of the suplexed one.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Tank Boy Ken posted:

The Clint could move to 1730 and close off another way for the Dragon to exit. Forcing him to turn and move through at least one building next round, thus using up 3 of his 8 MP. Severely limiting his movement options.

ApostateCourier posted:

Retreat isn't an option. The battle is to be joined, and if they back off I'm out there on my own.

I'm torn here. If I run to the dragon, we can probably do significant damage and get some hits in. On the other hand, ApostateCourier needs backup in that furball or the enemy group is going to tear him apart.

If I were to move to 0928, I'd have a clear shot at everything AND 7 hexes moved, but we'd need the catapult and centurion to commit as well (assuming the warhammer is already committed).

On the other hand, if I move to intercept the dragon at 1730, everyone on the right flank can join in and we can pretty much rofflestomp it, but apostate courier will get owned by the fusiliers, and the warhammer will probably go down in short order afterwards.

So I'm thinking at this point having the right side force sweep through and kill the dragon while the catapult, warhammer, centurion, and I all keep the fusiliers busy, and buy some time for the rest of the squad to roll in from the flank and kick rear end.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I think there's an understandable but occasionally regrettable tendency for players to be over-cautious at times, because once their ride gets blown up, they're done playing the game they've been waiting months for. When you're controlling multiple 'Mechs, you can sacrifice one to set up a better position for your other units; when you only have the one unit, no one wants to be the one sacrificed.

It's perfectly understandable. But they also need to remember that the GM is a bit of a softie who feels bad about eliminating people too early, and that I will tend to not focus damaged people unless they make themselves the easiest target.

Kial posted:

Only matters if there's another target in range at the start of the turn. If there's only one I don't track it. Besides, last turn he shot a building.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

the Gladiator might easily move out of my line of fire (since he moves after us).

The Gladiator moves in the Physical Attack phase, he can do nothing about you shooting at him. He's sacrificing his move phase / move mod / shooting in the hopes that someone will stay close enough for him to melee.

You can't run through enemy units, you'd stop in the hex you're in.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 17, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You'd think with the risk of ammo explosions, tech would be under tremendous pressure to advance and not rely on things that need to explode in your mech to hurt somebody.

Zest
May 7, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

End Phase:
Shadow Hawk
- Critical chance in Left Torso!

Did anything ever happen with this?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Glazius posted:

You'd think with the risk of ammo explosions, tech would be under tremendous pressure to advance and not rely on things that need to explode in your mech to hurt somebody.

It did. But CASE and CASE II aren't very pirate-y.

Technically, it puts the exploding thing outside your 'Mech; same-same but different.

Zest
May 7, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can't run through enemy units, you'd stop in the hex you're in.

Alternate route proposed. This should be 10mp given that I'm assuming 1229 is 2 mp to move into. Need to keep that +3 mod for 7 hexes moved at this point if I don't want to get turned into paste

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
That map is a clusterfuck.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Zest posted:

Alternate route proposed. This should be 10mp given that I'm assuming 1229 is 2 mp to move into. Need to keep that +3 mod for 7 hexes moved at this point if I don't want to get turned into paste

I'd suggest ending one hex further south, making room for the Centurion to move besides you. He has less MP and can at least get a +1 mod this way. It's certainly not optimal. I did add some more possible movements.

The debuff at the Dragon would debuff 2 of us though, so it might be better to have the Cobra somewhere else.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

apostateCourier posted:

Agreeing with you. Also retreat in my slowboat mech means I'm effectively out of the fight for like three turns - one to retreat, one to go right back to where I was, a third to actually shoot something.

all I can say is, if I blow up, I hope it's as amazing as that ammo crit on the Jaegerbomb.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Okay Orders sent: Will the AC/20 headcap the Hunchback? Let's find out! It will be awesome.

quote:

Movement mode: WALK

http://i.imgur.com/Uattiew.png

- Move forward to Hex 1729
- Turn left towards Hex 1730

Combat Phase:
- Torso twist towards the Dragon standing in the ruins of a building Hex 1829
- Fire the following weapons in the following order at the Dragon in Hex 1829:
-- 1x Medium Laser
-- 1x MRM 40
-- 1x Small Laser

Close Combat Phase:
- Kick the Dragon! In the knee!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
We can also just ignore Sal this turn. She's not especially tough, but she'd undamaged, has a laughable ability to hurt things with shooting, and is not in melee range of anything this turn. Making sure that AC/20 doesn't get another round of shooting is probably priority #1, getting the Gladiator out of our faces is probably #2, and honestly I'd probably kill the Shadowhawk before I started working on Sal just because he has a fairly similar damage output but is protected by a sheet of dollar store tinfoil stretch over his internals.

Regarding the Dragon, how much damage would he take from a collapsing building? One cute quirk for my mech is that my MG battery can one-round any building on the map. He should already have done 6 damage to it by walking in, so two MGs on guaranteed hits can drop it on his head while also negating any cover advantage it would provide him.

EDIT: you probably want to come at the Dragon from head-on or the right if you're going to go balls deep on him. Coming at him from the left makes you much less likely to hit is right torso, which is the only part of his mech that's actually important.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 17, 2014

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
EDIT:
^^^^
Am I not shooting into his front impact arc?

He entered a rubble hex, it was destroyed a while ago:

EDIT2:
PTN this map really makes for a fun combat environment. Not only can we annoy you by shooting buildings, it also allows for interesting fights. :).

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 17, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

yes but I am willing to make a suboptimal choice to take Sal out at some point. I mean let's be up front about that. That's not relevant this turn for the Centurion, though.

I'm a little concerned about the Gladiator myself. Sure if we all move out of melee range, it's not doing much this turn but it can position (maybe?) and can turn back into something with guns any turn PTN likes. Still, you gotta prioritize somehow.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Psion posted:

I'm a little concerned about the Gladiator myself. Sure if we all move out of melee range, it's not doing much this turn but it can position (maybe?) and can turn back into something with guns any turn PTN likes. Still, you gotta prioritize somehow.

This is why I'm thinking about shooting it. I think if I step back one hex I'll be shooting 10 SRM4s on 4s into two holes. And then if it doesn't drop I'm a very tasty target.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Psion posted:

yes but I am willing to make a suboptimal choice to take Sal out at some point. I mean let's be up front about that. That's not relevant this turn for the Centurion, though.

Sal is a punching bag who will hop about missing barns until we're ready to beat our side objectives out of her. The Shadow Hawk is a terrible, terrible mech, but its biggest flaw by far is the laughable armor coverage. That stops being a problem if we don't shoot it.

Cloud Potato posted:

This is why I'm thinking about shooting it. I think if I step back one hex I'll be shooting 10 SRM4s on 4s into two holes. And then if it doesn't drop I'm a very tasty target.

Remember that the Dragon also has an AC/20 and can see you on that side of the building. You probably don't want to have a +0 movement modifier.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 17, 2014

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
I'd still like an answer because I still don't completely get LOS, but if I jump to 1931 do I have to destroy the building in hex 1930 first to target the Dragon?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Trundel posted:

I'd still like an answer because I still don't completely get LOS, but if I jump to 1931 do I have to destroy the building in hex 1930 first to target the Dragon?

Yes.

When a hex perfectly splits the line of fire like that, then it blocks LOS unless both mechs want to shoot at each other. The Dragon will probably have several other, easier targets this turn, so he would most likely decline your shooting and work on someone else, if only to reduce the overall volume of fire he was receiving.

You also have the MP to just run to any of 1729, 1828, or 1928. You get a +3 movement modifier from running 7 or more hexes but will have an easier time applying damage. You'd only get a +2 to your own rolls since you aren't jumping, you wouldn't have to waste 4 lasers drilling through a building, and you'd have the option of shooting at close range for your SLs instead of medium (though at the cost of potentially exposing yourself to physical attacks).

It looks like we already have people going all-in on the Dragon and accepting decent return-fire rolls, so it's probably more important to make sure that we punish the Dragon as hard as possible this turn.

EDIT: The Ravager also has the option of running to 0825. It gives you a +2 movement modifier and puts you at mid-range from the Phoenix Hawk so it will have a dramatically worse shot at you than if you'd try to man-fight it. The Awesome could potentially get good shots at you but I don't think there was any avoiding that this turn and you'd potentially be in a position to punish his terrible piloting score next turn. You'd also have good SRM shots at the Shadow Hawk's open LT.

Getting shot at by the Awesome is going to suck, don't get me wrong, but so would standing next to an AC/20 with no movement modifiers.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 17, 2014

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Trundel posted:

You can run into 1828:

Forward into 2430 (2 MP)
Turn right (1 MP)
Forward into 1928 (5 MP)
Turn left (1 MP)
Forward into 1828 (1 MP)

8 Hexes moved = +3 Defense mod (yes/no/maybe?)
Movement mode = Running = +2 offensive mod
Range to Dragon = Short
Dragon defense mod = +2?
TN to hit = 7

Dragons most likely target = Hunchback

P.S.
You'd also be able to kick the Dragon or stare at it menacingly. Or punch it with your left arm. Would look like a close line.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!
Alrighty then... if we're crowding the Dragon and someone with better armor is offering it lower to-hit mod then I think I might run to an adjacent hex and give you guys a hand in bleeding his front armor. I'm worried about getting kicked and falling down, but if we make the Dragon suffer a +20 damage pilot roll and knock him on his rear end then that won't happen anyways.

I'll get orders in later, but pencil the Assassin in as running to 1828, facing the Dragon and firing everything at it before trying to punch it.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm a bit torn myself. If we're going all going to be Real Men and dogpile the Dragon, I can just run to 1730 instead of jumping behind him to save some heat and shoot on 7s instead of 8s. On the other hand, it's soft damage into the left side of his body so we don't really care. If I get behind him I hit on 8s instead of 7s and won't contribute to the overall damage on his front armor, but I have a nonzero chance of doinking through that 6 right rear torso armor (one ML hit + anything else) and making his AC/20 disappear.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
The advantage of jumping is that you can be positioned for free in a direction that will easily allow you to help the left flank after this round. Though if you want to run and have a better to-hit, that's another sensible option. Also good for your heat.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!
On the heat angle, unless things change significantly on the left we're all going to have at least a turn running over there and not firing all of our weapons, so you could use that to cool down.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
After some crunching, I'm probably going to go behind him. even phenomenal rolling probably won't result in any meaningful damage from me this turn and I wouldn't have a good enough movement modifier to feel safe about it. For what it's worth, it looks like we have a bunch of people getting ready to mess with the Dragon from safer distances who also won't be able to get close even if they want to, so the sacrifice fly from your Hunchback may just be unnecessary. Let's see what the Battle Cobra feels like doing?

And yeah, heat shouldn't be a problem. Running to 1730 would leave me facing the wrong direction next turn, so even if I put myself one hex further away and at -1 mp from jumping and alphaing, the free facing makes up the difference.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 17, 2014

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Pending on what the rest of the left flank does, but the Warhammer is probably going to jump to 0430 and shoot the Phoenix Hawk in the butt.

Edit: And hell, I'll put a brace of medium lasers into the Quickdraw as well.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 17, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I'd suggest ending one hex further south, making room for the Centurion to move besides you. He has less MP and can at least get a +1 mod this way. It's certainly not optimal. I did add some more possible movements.

That's 11 MP spent, he can't do it.

Voyager I posted:

Regarding the Dragon, how much damage would he take from a collapsing building?

One, if he were standing in one (he's not, the building hex he's in already collapsed).

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Oh, hexes with destroyed mechs/vehicles do count as rough?

Voyager I posted:

For what it's worth, it looks like we have a bunch of people getting ready to mess with the Dragon from safer distances who also won't be able to get close even if they want to, so the sacrifice fly from your Hunchback may just be unnecessary.

Well the Assasin carries a really good close range armament, and it's worth taking a single shot for him to be able to also shoot stuff "safely". Always shoot Butts / Dicks!

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 17, 2014

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!
If we're crowding I could enter the building in hex 1929 instead, and leave 1828 and 1928 open. I'm willing to join the 'attack the Dragon from the front' plan if someone else is going to make a sacrifice play. If that ends up not happening I'll strike for his rear.

edit: PTN, hate to harp on this, but I thought that I had enough movement to get from my position last turn to 2530, does moving through a destroyed mech hex take extra MP?

Trundel fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 17, 2014

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Oh, hexes with destroyed mechs/vehicles do count as rough?

Well the Assasin carries a really good close range armament, and it's worth taking a single shot for him to be able to also shoot stuff "safely". Always shoot Butts / Dicks!

The Assassin's Small Lasers are really good at crit-fishing in exposed internal sections or generally just finishing off a crippled component. In terms of straight combat, lots of small weapons are far less dangerous in this game than they are in something like MWO because they will generally translate into a bit of damage spread all over instead of cripping something. That's why, for example, an AC/20 shooting on 7s is terrifying because it's a coinflip on having a big loving hole blown in you while 4 Medium Lasers shooting on 7s is just eh, five damage here, five damage there. The only vulnerable segment on the Dragon right now is his left torso, which is essentially ablative (I don't think there's even anything in there to crit) and has enough raw structure to soak up a turn of incoming fire without transferring damage.

You have enough armor that eating an AC/20 won't kill you but it could make the rest of your game a whole lot more interesting and I'm not sure the payoff is worth it when he could just as easily hang back and try to poke a hole with his LL / wait for a chance to get behind him.

EDIT: would 1931 be shooting at the Dragon's rear arc or right? I think it's right.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 17, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Trundel posted:

edit: PTN, hate to harp on this, but I thought that I had enough movement to get from my position last turn to 2530, does moving through a destroyed mech hex take extra MP?

Yes.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PTN HIGHLY IMPORTANT

How many hexes off the ground is the news chopper, in otherwords can the charger jump onto the building there and grab itself a nice Steel chair Helicopter bludgeoning instrument?

0832 would be best for that by the way.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 17, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Voyager I posted:

Sal is a punching bag who will hop about missing barns until we're ready to beat our side objectives out of her.

haha, that's a good way to put it.

Okay so, for the Centurion, what I'm thinking this turn is leave Sal alone, don't leave courier unsupported, shoot something.

I can do this.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

PTN HIGHLY IMPORTANT

How many hexes off the ground is the news chopper, in otherwords can the charger jump onto the building there and grab itself a nice Steel chair Helicopter bludgeoning instrument?

It's height 7. Sadly, VTOLs and Aerospace Fighters can only be melee'd if they've landed.

It's also got 105 rockets it can dump directly into someone's face if it needs to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I feel suddenly vindicated in my decision to shoot real enemies instead of wasting a turn for the comedy kill.

What are its firing arcs?

• Locked thread