Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

oatgan posted:

CM Punk made his name cutting You People promos. There's nothing inherently wrong with the idea.

It's just like that period when heels came out in suits talking slowly... it's a great idea if you're in the first wave of people doing it, but when it's been 5 solid years of heels coming out and starting a promo with "YOU PEOPLE" it gets a bit old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There was also a period where when beloved guys would turn heel, they'd get a spotlight, a chair, and a mic, and just let 'em go. Eddie and Mick both did it.

It loving worked with those guys though. Much like "You People" works with Punk.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I actually feel like we all came to a consensus here on this topic, which...

..might be the first time ever in 13 years on this forum for me.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Has anyone ever taken a Pedigree through a table?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Red posted:

Angle managed to get himself concussed on a botched table pedigree.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red posted:

Of course!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUhfimqMPPY

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Triple H has pedigreed Ted Jr. and Sheamus through the announcers' table, had the table collapse under them when he tried to do it to Angle, and been reversed trying to do it to Jericho.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Red posted:

Just talking WWE, I'm pretty sure Sheamus and Mick Foley took Pedigrees onto the announce table, but I'm not sure anyone ever took one through a stand EZBreak table. Of course, there was that one time Rock tried to pedigree through a announce table that just no-sold the move.

That said, I'm sure there are there plenty of backyarders that took pedigrees off house roofs through tables, just because.

edit: drat I'm too slow for this.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Has Triple H ever won a match with a submission hold?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Contingency Plan posted:

He used a sleeper hold for a little while, but I'm not sure if he ever won with it.

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
Worst goon in the universe.

Contingency Plan posted:

He used the crossface for a while and won a match or two with it, I think.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Red posted:

He used a sleeper hold for a little while, but I'm not sure if he ever won with it.

Didn't he use the Crossface for a while to disassociate it with Benoit?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Didn't he do the Indian deathlock a looong time ago?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

45ShadesOfDeath posted:

He used the crossface for a while and won a match or two with it, I think.

Does using it to frame Chris Benoit count? #askquestions

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

That or an abdominal stretch, during the riding pants era.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I feel like someone tapped when he was using the Crossface post-Benoit, but it was a multi-man match with a two on one submission or something like that.

Does anyone remember that time Orton used a reverse Boston Crab for like a week and then stopped for no apparent reason?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

Does anyone remember that time Orton used a reverse Boston Crab for like a week and then stopped for no apparent reason?

The voices in his head are fickle.

Remember when he had the Killswitch Engage CM Punk theme for a week?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Against booker t at wm19. It was weird and came out of nowhere.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ColeM posted:

Against booker t at wm19. It was weird and came out of nowhere.

No, longer than that. It was his WCW finisher.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Red posted:

He beat at least Spike Dudley with the sleeper. I remember because it was the first time I had ever seen the ref do the "raise the arm to see if they can still compete" that actually ended with the arm falling a third time.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

The Senator Giroux posted:

He beat at least Spike Dudley with the sleeper. I remember because it was the first time I had ever seen the ref do the "raise the arm to see if they can still compete" that actually ended with the arm falling a third time.

I was going to say, I also remembered him beating Spike with it.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

The Senator Giroux posted:

I think Lesnar beat Hogan this way too. Bear hug maybe.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That was a bearhug, yeah. Same three arm drops to win, though.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Triple H I believe beat Jeff Hardy with the sleeper, too.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Piper beat Hogan with the sleeper at Starrcade 1996: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grnn_M8GKe0 (go to about 15:55 for just before Piper locks on the sleeper).

My favorite part is Randy Anderson's little stunned reaction when the arm actually drops the third time.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

AKMoose posted:

My favorite part is Randy Anderson's little stunned reaction when the arm actually drops the third time.

It's arena-wide, there's just this amazing second or so of "Sleeper? Really??"

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Triple H I believe beat Jeff Hardy with the sleeper, too.

For the IC belt, if I remember correctly.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

AKMoose posted:

Piper beat Hogan with the sleeper at Starrcade 1996: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grnn_M8GKe0 (go to about 15:55 for just before Piper locks on the sleeper).

Huh, I always had the impression that nWo was just beating everybody until the Sting match. Didn't realize that Piper of all people had already vanquished them at a prior rendition of WCW's biggest show.

Although I guess there's some logic to it, since Hollywood Hogan was more of a weaselly heel than an unbeatable monster.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 18, 2014

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Minidust posted:

Huh, I always had the impression that nWo was just beating everybody until the Sting match. Didn't realize that Piper of all people had already vanquished them at a prior rendition of WCW's biggest show.

Although I guess there's some logic to it, since Hollywood Hogan was more of a weaselly heel than an unbeatable monster.

I think it was more that Piper's insane insistence of creative control and going over everyone was more pronounced than even Hogan's was.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Minidust posted:

Don't forget Luger beat Hogan and had the title for about a week a few months before Starrcade.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Blasmeister posted:

I think it was more that Piper's insane insistence of creative control and going over everyone was more pronounced than even Hogan's was.

Good for him.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I will never forgive WCW Piper for that segment where he fought a boxer, Horshu, and John Tenta for approximately eight thousand years.

Never.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Blasmeister posted:

And yet he still couldn't get a World title run out of it. Starcade '96 is absurd for the fact that Piper was allowed to come up with the stipulations himself, but for some reason made it a non-title match. I think it was even advertised as a title match and there was a bait-and-switch at the last minute. Everyone even celebrates at the end of the match as though he won the belt.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And yet he still couldn't get a World title run out of it. Starcade '96 is absurd for the fact that Piper was allowed to come up with the stipulations himself, but for some reason made it a non-title match. I think it was even advertised as a title match and there was a bait-and-switch at the last minute. Everyone even celebrates at the end of the match as though he won the belt.

Does Piper actually hold up the title after the match?

Him doing that and then they later explain it was non-title would be the most WCW thing.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Minidust posted:

I only believe hogan agreed to lose to the sleeper because he wasn't going to lose his title. "Sure Piper, you can beat me with the sleeper hold... I'll go let eric know..."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Great White Hope posted:

I will never forgive WCW Piper for that segment where he fought a boxer, Horshu, and John Tenta for approximately eight thousand years.

Never.

I loved how the very next week, someone in WCW managed to tell him to gently caress off enough so his team would be replaced by the 4 Horsemen.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Minidust posted:

Piper beat Hogan twice within a year in singles in some of the shittiest matches. Neither were for titles.

The only two wrestlers to have some success against the nWo before Starrcade 97 were Zybysko and Piper, neither of whom were really on the main roster.

Zybysko is still hilarious, because he complained about how the nWo was ruining WCW integrity. 5 minutes later, he's out of the boot and ringside telling someone to ring the drat bell for a title change.

It also inevitably led to Dusty Rhodes turning heel and joining the nWo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 18, 2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

ayn rand hand job posted:

It also inevitably led to Dusty Rhodes turning heel and joining the nWo.

I only half-followed WCW at the time, and I was so confused as to why Dusty Rhodes was Scott Hall's manager on WCW/NWO Revenge

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Does anyone have a link to Ric Flair going all Frankenstein when he makes his prediction that Batista would win the Royal Rumble earlier this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I haven't really been following the GWF thread but after looking up a little bit about it, it seems like it's more like just a bunch of affiliates kind of like NWA, only worldwide territories instead of US. Is that relatively accurate?