Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Speaking of Spider-Man. A Spider-Man game in this style would be pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Onmi posted:

By the way, every time someone wants to complain about something in this game being too gritty. Keep in mind Marvel went and wrote a comic in which a villain came and murdered the Hostess Snack universe Spiderman, and Spiderman and his Amazing Friends. Because gently caress you happiness and joy.

What comic was this and why is it a thing? :stare:

Waltzing Along posted:

Speaking of Spider-Man. A Spider-Man game in this style would be pretty awesome.

You're looking for the Spider-Man Noir sections of Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOXfd5cKWLM

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What comic was this and why is it a thing? :stare:

Yvonmukluk posted:

Don't bring that up, unless you want to hear Opinions on Spider-Girl.

Well, I did warn you.

Okay, right now there's an event going on called Spider-Verse, which was billed as featuring every Spider-Man ever, which a lot of people where obviously excited for. However, it turns out the villains of the piece are these transdimensional vampire-style beings called Inheritors who are killing and feedig on alternate versions of Spider-Men. One of these guys showed up in Spider-Man before, called Morlun, where he was a guy who fed on all different kinds of people with animal totem powers, and was moving on to Spidey because, hey, he needed to eat a Spider totem to live. Other than that, he was relatively polite to Spidey, all things considering, since he regarded it more as just something he had to do rather than another out of malice (Spider-Man didn't quite see that way, of course). He got beaten not once but twice by Spider-Man, and 'died' both times, although he came back. Needless to say, the whole totem/mystical thing proved controversial with the fans. Anyway, it turns out that the spider that bit Peter also bit another person, a woman called Cindy Moon, who Peter eventually freed despite a videotaped recording of Ezekiel (an old guy with the same powers as him who showed up around the time Morlun did, who got them from a mystic ceremony and tried to pass the buck to Peter on dealing with all the mystic crap, before having a change of heart and sacrificing himself). Anyway, turns out because of plot reasons she wants to jump Peter's bones virtually all the time, and also it get's Morlun's family (who it turns out are literally the only ones of themselves in the universe, to the point that they live on Earth-1: keep in mind regular Marvel was supposed to be Earth-616), and so they go a trip killing off every Spider-Man, and now taking a rather sadistic enjoyment out of the whole thing to boot. One of these Spider-Men is the father of Spider-Girl, an alternate universe counterpart to the daughter that Mary-Jane miscarried during the Clone Saganever existed because Spider-Man sold his marriage to the devil. Her parents were a key part of her book, which survived several cancellation attempts, was relaunched 3 times, was (and may well still be) the longest-running female-led books in Marvel history and had a cult following. And then...well this sums it up much better than I can (and probably my entire argument up to this point, but I typed so it I'm posting it.). So yeah, why does it exist? Because outrage drives sales, basically. I mean I'm sure there'll be a reset button at the end of the event, but yeah, Spider-Verse is goddamn terrible.

All further queries on this front should probably be directed to the Spider-Man thread in Batman's Shameful Secret.

We now return you to your regular scheduled Arkham City thread.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I had to look this up to make sure you weren't screwing with me.

What the hell, Marvel? :smith:

Anyway, to get more on track with the Batman thread discussion, Spider-Man games do seem to be trying implement some of the features from the Arkham series lately.

As I mentioned before, there was Spider-Man Noir (1930s Spider-Man) from the Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions game. His segments were more or less like Batman's predator segments... only he didn't really have gadgets and getting alerted would cause all enemies to become Ubermensches that could block all of your attacks and kill you pretty easily. That being said, there was a cool "Hide in the Shadows" system that I kind of wish came over to the Arkham games.

I think the Amazing Spider-Man games were a bit better about Spider-Man's stealth segments, making it so that he can attack them if they see him, though it's better to hide. Granted, the combat in those games is far too... animated, so I don't really follow them.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Ha ha this owns.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What the hell, Marvel? :smith:

If you've ever seen the DC ones linked, this is a pretty obvious parody, of a pretty obvious sell out/ad.

I'm not sure if it should be trusted though. It claims a delight in every bite, but morlun never actually bit him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

If you've ever seen the DC ones linked, this is a pretty obvious parody, of a pretty obvious sell out/ad.

Oh, I know. I linked the Batman Hostess Pies image in the last thread.

It's just that's so... needlessly dark. Killing the campy Spider-Man that beats his enemies by feeding them fruit pies? Murdering Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends? Why not kick a puppy while you're at it?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, I know. I linked the Batman Hostess Pies image in the last thread.

It's just that's so... needlessly dark. Killing the campy Spider-Man that beats his enemies by feeding them fruit pies? Murdering Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends? Why not kick a puppy while you're at it?

Funny you should say this, Boa Hancock in One Piece (Manga :frogsiren:) kicks a Puppy AND a Baby Seal in a couple of panels, for no real reason than they were in her way.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Judge Tesla posted:

Funny you should say this, Boa Hancock in One Piece (Manga :frogsiren:) kicks a Puppy AND a Baby Seal in a couple of panels, for no real reason than they were in her way.

But she's just so great! We love her! That puppy should have known better.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Just heard about a heretofore unknown Calendar man clip. Will you cover December 13 2004?

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Yeah, also during the combat section, some goon shouted "Time to get me some wings!" :v:

Really my favourite goon shouts are the hilariously lame ones. My favourite being a Catwoman-exclusive one

:downs: "We're gonna make you meow, Catwoman!"

I know it's in the same dumb sexist vein as most of Catwoman's other taunts, but after so many outright nasty ones of calling her a bitch and implying sexual assault, this one was just so dumb and lame and said with such gusto that it made me laugh out loud when I heard it my third time through the game. Just something about it is hilarious to me, like they took the whole thing too far and it just ended up fizzling out.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ManlyGrunting posted:

:downs: "We're gonna make you meow, Catwoman!"

I know it's in the same dumb sexist vein as most of Catwoman's other taunts, but after so many outright nasty ones of calling her a bitch and implying sexual assault, this one was just so dumb and lame and said with such gusto that it made me laugh out loud when I heard it my third time through the game. Just something about it is hilarious to me, like they took the whole thing too far and it just ended up fizzling out.

There should be a follow-up by one of the goons going "Dude, what?"

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
I like to think that goon planned on saying "purr" instead of "meow", but realized the difference in tone mid-speech, and then tried to correct to a better verb, but still cat-related. Thus, the taunt. Equally amusing is the thought that it's just that one goon who can never get the witty banter right.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing so. He hasn't even got any dialogue so far as I can tell.

Yeah, Nightwing has no voice actor in AC. Bizarrely, Robin also has no dialogue in challenge maps and he DOES have a voice actor :psyduck:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think Nightwing is credited as having Quinton Flynn as a voice actor in the credits. He just doesn't ever say anything, oddly enough.

Maybe they cut his lines due to time constraints or something?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kobanya posted:

I like to think that goon planned on saying "purr" instead of "meow", but realized the difference in tone mid-speech, and then tried to correct to a better verb, but still cat-related. Thus, the taunt. Equally amusing is the thought that it's just that one goon who can never get the witty banter right.

Damnit Carl, work on your taunts!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Damnit Carl, work on your taunts!

This is why he's just a thug--to be a proper villain, you need to be able to banter.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's a reason the Condiment King is a member of Batman's Rogues Gallery. :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

There's a reason the Condiment King is a member of Batman's Rogues Gallery. :v:

:ssh: They just needed someone to run the concessions stand.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This is why he's just a thug--to be a proper villain, you need to be able to banter.

That's why I really like those guys back at the Steel Mill who were talking about how they were planning on taking over after Joker kicked the bucket. One of them did the generic thug talk about how he was gonna do horrid things to Harley but one started dreaming big about how they could take over the gang if they just adopted some crazy personalities. Thug #501-B gets it.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:ssh: They just needed someone to run the concessions stand.

Only for him to go postal when someone asks for ketchup on their hotdog. :arghfist:

Going back to an earlier post of mine, I figured out why "Wing Ding"s made me think of snack cakes: it's not that far off from the snack cakes from Recess, the Wingerdinger. They always did look delicious. :3:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kobanya posted:

Only for him to go postal when someone asks for ketchup on their hotdog. :arghfist:

He would need help from the Roadrunner.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So how different are all these playable characters from each other? Do you have to learn new timings or do they all react pretty much the same?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

So how different are all these playable characters from each other? Do you have to learn new timings or do they all react pretty much the same?

As other posters have said, Catwoman packs less power than Batman but attacks much faster, which can be annoying and throw you off hitting the counter button at the right time if you're too used to Batman combat.

Nightwing, IIRC, is somewhere in between the two in terms of combat speed. He also, of course, eschews the REC and Explosive Gel for his escrima sticks, those wrist darts, and that Electric Blast thingy he did back at the Predator Map.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Glazius posted:

The basic controls are all the same. Strike, counter, stun, dodge, and combo takedown don't vary between characters. Every character has a different set of special combos and gadgets otherwise. Catwoman is probably the most limited since she only has three gadgets and the least health. Batman is the most versatile since he gets all the gadgets and he also gets the Combo Disarm and Destroy which is super useful. I like playing as all the characters, the only issues I can think of is that some of Catwoman's ground pounds and strikes towards her back are a little slow and can catch you in a counter, Batman has the same problem for one of his animations. By the same token, Robin's beatdown animation feels long and Nightwing's feel like some of his hits hang a little since he's got two sticks for his strikes. Speaking of Robin, he's in this challenge campaign!

De-Saturating The Airwaves/Polsy - Interview tape: Joker Call 2

Arkham City Stories: Bane, Holding Grudges (2), Vicki Vale, Buried On A Sunday (1), Titan On The Streets, Hugo Strange's Experiments

DLC Campaign Challenge: Black Mask/Polsy with Robin

This DLC is the one that added the Robin challenges in, if I'm not mistaken. It's a little different for the combat map since it's trying to evoke a 2D side-scroller feel. But the hit-detection is just a little too messy for it to be really effective. It does do a little bit with storytelling (you see Black Mask running out! Chase him!) that I wish they would have done more with. If each of the campaigns had a small story and villain attached to them and some interstitial cutscenes it'd go a lot longer towards making me interested in playing them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The thugs in this game sure like to call each other chicken.

Also, how does Hugo Strange not know about the Identity Thief's MO if it's news that's been available to the press and he's been systematically going after every criminal to make sure his Arkham City plan works? :psyduck:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 19, 2014

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You don't notice how badly they love to call each other chicken until you start dealing with armed thugs in body armor. Ooh, I'm a big man, going to call everyone else chicken when I'm immune to silent takedowns. Pfft.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, how does Hugo Strange not know about the Identity Thief's MO if it's news that's been available to the press and he's been systematically going after every criminal to make sure his Arkham City plan works? :psyduck:

The spoilered person has been active for a much shorter period of time. Also, Strange's schtick isn't really knowing everyone and everything- it's being obsessed with the belief that he knows everyone and everything.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

For some reason I really like that "Oh yeah, sorry 'bout that." Thug. I can just hear the oops, my bad in his voice.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Yeah, that quest in particular is very unusual in that you aren't told when you can continue it. You might say it's very, uh, what's the word...

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
I really like Batman's WHAT upon learning about the Bruce Wayne lookalike. He's genuinely shocked.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Being able to grapnel boost and still keep your Riddler touch pads active is definitely not an oversight or a bug. It's the only way to complete a later puzzle.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
:stonk: You weren't supposed to actually do it, Scruffy.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

:stonk: You weren't supposed to actually do it, Scruffy.

:unsmigghh:

I'm not posting that video for a while yet because it's got a bunch of enemies that haven't been seen but suffice to say a challenge was accepted and met.

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
What's puzzling is why exactly is this killer bothering with bandaging his victim's faces after cutting them off? I mean, he has their faces, they are dead, so?..

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Kazeite posted:

What's puzzling is why exactly is this killer bothering with bandaging his victim's faces after cutting them off? I mean, he has their faces, they are dead, so?..

Oh. Oh. I think I know who that is, then.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The fact that I knew who it was basically from the face wraps, really... I don't even read Batman! Yet I recognized him...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kazeite posted:

To mask the scent of blood? I dunno.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
I consider myself fairly knowledgeable on Batman, but I didn't know about Bane's teddy bear. "Osito" is from the spanish "oso" (bear) and the suffix "-ito" meaning something is small in size or especially cute. "Bearcub" or "Cubby" would be an appropriate translation. Oh Bane :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Kazeite posted:

I suspect there really isn't a in-game reason, but it's basically a discretion shot so you don't have to look at a guy with his face cut off, with all the muscles and possibly bone. While the Arkham games are violent, they're really not gore-y.

• Locked thread