Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
This page of the thread has turned Revengeance into my favorite game, thank you SA.

Also, Raiden has a pole-arm that is literally a pole made of arms. This game is just gleefully batshit nuts and has ensured that I will forever buy any Metal Gear and/or Platinum games I come across forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Those industrial robot arms don't have any controllers. They Are Their Own Masters Now.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Screaming Idiot posted:

This page of the thread has turned Revengeance into my favorite game, thank you SA.

Also, Raiden has a pole-arm that is literally a pole made of arms. This game is just gleefully batshit nuts and has ensured that I will forever buy any Metal Gear and/or Platinum games I come across forever.

The joke in no way stops there. The only thing I know for real is that someone on the staff was a huge Camus fan.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The joke in no way stops there. The only thing I know for real is that someone on the staff was a huge Camus fan.

Platinum does that sort of thing a lot. Vanquish was full of references to Candide. Bayonetta has a set of ice skates named Odette and a rocket launcher named Kilgore.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Not exactly a little thing but in Revengeance it's hard to understate how awesome it is that the final boss is literally Dick Cheney. Like there's pretty much no ambiguity there. It's Dick loving Cheney.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Something I didn't know until I watched Chip Cheezum's Let's Play: Raptors have a dwarf gekko inside them, that's why they have tiny arms.

FauxGateau posted:

Oh okay. Well at the very least I can't blame him it all for it. Still though what a shame.

Except 'original style graphics' weren't an option, so yeah you can.

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Nov 11, 2014

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Anatharon posted:

Something I didn't know until I watched Chip Cheezum's Let's Play: Raptors have a dwarf gekko inside them, that's why they have tiny arms.

I thought I saw that, but I couldn't be sure. Also, I just noticed when they swarm around Mistral during her fight they'll stand their and applaud her with their little hands. I love the dwarf gekkos. :3:

Hell, I love the whole aesthetic the UG's in Metal Gear have. They're like Silent Hill cyborgs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tracula posted:

Not exactly a little thing but in Revengeance it's hard to understate how awesome it is that the final boss is literally Dick Cheney. Like there's pretty much no ambiguity there. It's Dick loving Cheney.

SWOLE Dick Cheney :allears:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jerusalem posted:

SWOLE Dick Cheney :allears:

NANOMACHINES, SON! :ocelot:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Gran Turismo 6: The trip computer at the center of the Volkswagen Golf R's gauge cluster is set to display fuel consumption - and it actually appears to change as you drive.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

Gran Turismo 6: The trip computer at the center of the Volkswagen Golf R's gauge cluster is set to display fuel consumption - and it actually appears to change as you drive.

So then can you actually run out of gas?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

MindlessHavok posted:

So then can you actually run out of gas?

I think there are some races that track fuel consumption (there certainly were in GT5) but most don't.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Anatharon posted:

Their stun kill has Raiden yank the little fucker out so that it ends up falling just above the Raptor body's Zandatsu point, so ideally you slash both up simultaneously.

If you don't make good on killing the Dwarf Gekko though (and I think it does this if you don't finish the Raptor via Zandatsu), then the Dwarf Gekko survives to annoy the crap out of you a little longer. :argh:

They're absolutely adorable when they're not messing up your combo.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I choose to believe they called that polearm "the stranger" as a masturbation joke.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tracula posted:

I will always love how when Cyber-Cheney starts spouting off his evil plan which is basically just making money on the war on terror and also burning down America for Libertopia Raiden's reasoned, thought-out rebuttal is "What the gently caress are you talking about".

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
"How the hell did you get elected?"
"Well, I don't write my own speeches"

"You're not evil... YOU'RE BATSHIT INSAAAAAANE"

He's come a long way from "did you say 'nerd'"?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The first Mario Kart 8 DLC pack came out today, featuring Link and a Hyrule-themed track. On that track, they replaced all the coins with rupees and the usual piranha plants with deku babas.
What I like even more than that, though, is that Link is too tall for the karts and has to pull his knees up uncomfortably high to fit in. :3:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

My Lovely Horse posted:

The first Mario Kart 8 DLC pack came out today, featuring Link and a Hyrule-themed track. On that track, they replaced all the coins with rupees and the usual piranha plants with deku babas.
What I like even more than that, though, is that Link is too tall for the karts and has to pull his knees up uncomfortably high to fit in. :3:

The item get jingle is a sped up chest opening fanfare and doo doo doo dooooot

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haha, so it is! As well as that, the F-Zero track gives you coins on the energy recharge sections.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Great, now I want a WiiU.

Thanks guys.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Haha, so it is! As well as that, the F-Zero track gives you coins on the energy recharge sections.

The little musical score before races in F-Zero is played before Lakitu counts down from three too. This DLC pack is so freaking good.

The only thing that could make it better would be a "You got Boost Power!" whenever you picked up a mushroom.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Thanks guys.

If this doesn't push you over the edge, I don't know what will.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Thanks guys.

It's also got Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3 and maybe someday a Fire Emblem/Shin Megami Tensei game.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Suspicious Cook posted:

If this doesn't push you over the edge, I don't know what will.

A static picture with the Mute City song remixed (again)? That kind of pulled my back from the edge.

WiiU does looks sweet though. The LP going on of the Wonderful 101 looks incredible. I kind of promised myself I'd never buy another console, after the 360, but dang if it isn't tempting.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Lavender posted:

A static picture with the Mute City song remixed (again)? That kind of pulled my back from the edge.

Now that Nintendo has figured out that they can get somebody else to make a game for them and then slap a coat of Nintendo paint on it and rack in the nostalgia bucks Dynasty Warriors Only This Time You're Link And Uh The Buttrock Is Now Zelda Songs I Guess is only going to be the beginning.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Len posted:

It's also got Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3 and maybe someday a Fire Emblem/Shin Megami Tensei game.

And Bayonetta 1.
And Wonderful 101.

Basically, its got the most platinum.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Now that Nintendo has figured out that they can get somebody else to make a game for them and then slap a coat of Nintendo paint on it and rack in the nostalgia bucks Dynasty Warriors Only This Time You're Link And Uh The Buttrock Is Now Zelda Songs I Guess is only going to be the beginning.

I dunno what this post has to do with Mario Kart DLC, but there've been tons of first-party-IP third-party-developer Nintendo games in the past, across the entire spectrum of quality. Hyrule Warriors was just the latest.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I kind of want to call Hyrule Warriors the Super Mario RPG of our day.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

My Lovely Horse posted:

Except Super Mario RPG was good.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

And what's the deal with airline food?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

SMRPG had things going for it other than boobs.

e oh rip

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Except Super Mario RPG was good.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I picked up Shadow of Mordor on deal last week. I don't know how exactly they did this, but I've never had the stupid problem where whatever video is running on my second screen freezes. Almost every other game seems to require some of alt tab dancing to get the video to keep playing and not freeze frame with just the sound continuing.

Oh also the whole rivalry system is pretty great.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Punching the Woodsman in the Wolf Among Us is my new favorite little thing in games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alhazred posted:

Punching the Woodsman in the Wolf Among Us is my new favorite little thing in games.

I'm partial to the option "Glass him" myself.

In Bayonetta 2 the last level has the standard awful Platinum level that involves a bad Space Harrier section. Well if you're dressed in an alternate costume it changes it into a game of starfox

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

:allears:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

I'm partial to the option "Glass him" myself.

In Bayonetta 2 the last level has the standard awful Platinum level that involves a bad Space Harrier section. Well if you're dressed in an alternate costume it changes it into a game of starfox

That section really, really loving got me craving some HD Star Fox. It could look so pretty.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I played my Bigby as being very kind and understanding as possible but you better believe I glassed Woody. Then I felt bad for him because although he's an rear end in a top hat he's not in actuality a bad person. Sorry, Woody. :smith:

That does remind me of something annoying about interactive narratives like Wolf Among Us or The Walking Dead. My Bigby went out of his way to help as many people as he could, but that was never even acknowledged in the game after any particular scene ends. Everyone still acts as if you're a huge rear end in a top hat all the time. I know they can't account for every possible combination of responses but having a running tally of how many "nice" or "mean" responses you've made and changing a half dozen lines or so to reflect that isn't a monumental task.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Well, he ate a few grandmas back in the day... That's a hard thing for people to get past, no matter how hard he's trying to turn things around.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Who What Now posted:

I played my Bigby as being very kind and understanding as possible but you better believe I glassed Woody. Then I felt bad for him because although he's an rear end in a top hat he's not in actuality a bad person. Sorry, Woody. :smith:

That does remind me of something annoying about interactive narratives like Wolf Among Us or The Walking Dead. My Bigby went out of his way to help as many people as he could, but that was never even acknowledged in the game after any particular scene ends. Everyone still acts as if you're a huge rear end in a top hat all the time. I know they can't account for every possible combination of responses but having a running tally of how many "nice" or "mean" responses you've made and changing a half dozen lines or so to reflect that isn't a monumental task.

It was there for a lot of them, albeit slight.
It makes sense that their animosity for him remains as he's too much a grunt for the hoity toity fables and considered a brown noser to them by the poorer types and they loathe him because he's the face they see all the time that reminds them of the divide.
Him being nice a handful of times out of the many years that the culture has treated them like dirt doesn't mean much.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Wait, so you're telling me that not only is The Big Bad Wolf named "Bigby Wolf" but they named the woodsman "Woody"? :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Wait, so you're telling me that not only is The Big Bad Wolf named "Bigby Wolf" but they named the woodsman "Woody"? :ughh:

Well, what's the name of the woodsman? No one ever includes it in the story of red riding hood. He's just "The Woodsman". He doesn't remember any other name. :(

That's why he's Woody, and the Big B. Wolf is Bigby, and why in the comics you end up with Little Boy Blue having the same name (admittedly, dropping the Little) even after he starts making hit and run raids against the Adversary.

Their names are what we gave them.

I'm about three quarters through The Wolf Among Us right now, and my favourite little thing so far is that I was given the option to tear off Grendels arm. My Bigby is always reasonable, so he didn't, but the option was great to see. I didn't glass Woody either, but it's nice to know that you can be a total rear end in a top hat Big Bad Wolf if you wanted to.

Schmetterling has a new favorite as of 05:13 on Nov 18, 2014