Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Swagger Dagger posted:

NBA 2k is the best yearly franchise in games, not just sports, if you want an example from the last decade.

You don't consider MLB 2K13 from the last decade?

Let's take a look at successful games/franchises Visual Concepts have made:

NBA 2K
Sonic Adventure 2

Let's take a look at unsuccessful games/franchises Visual Concepts have made:

NFL 2K
MLB 2K
NHL 2K
College Hoops 2K
College Football 2K
All Pro Football 2K
SEGA Soccer Slam
ToeJam & Earl 3
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I won my first Epic KoTR, without even being in legendary exhibition tier!

And got two Big Shows :geno:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jubs posted:

Let's take a look at unsuccessful games/franchises Visual Concepts have made:

NFL 2K

The only reason NFL 2K doesn't exist anymore is because EA bought exclusive publishing rights for NFL games.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Jubs posted:

Let's take a look at successful games/franchises Visual Concepts have made:

Sonic Adventure 2

:laffo:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i looked it up and i guess they're listed in the SA2 credits for something but yeah im pretty sure they didn't make that game

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Cardboard Box posted:

i looked it up and i guess they're listed in the SA2 credits for something but yeah im pretty sure they didn't make that game

they only did motion capture work

so yeah it's funny on two levels

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 17, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cardboard Box posted:

I think it was more it being listed as a successful game that warranted that response.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
So it seems that Career Mode is just controlling a create-a-wrestler through Universe Mode, same cut-scenes and all. You are also only allowed to wrestle on 3 PPV's a year. Once you become champ, it auto sims you to the last match of your career.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What?! COLLUSION!

KING: What do you think about those Goldust mysteries?
JR: Frankly, King, I don't care if he lives or dies!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Jubs posted:

So it seems that Career Mode is just controlling a create-a-wrestler through Universe Mode, same cut-scenes and all. You are also only allowed to wrestle on 3 PPV's a year. Once you become champ, it auto sims you to the last match of your career.

lmao

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Reviews for PS4/XB1 (excuse the marketing terms) hit at midnight tonight.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jubs posted:

Daniel Bryan Mode

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oatgan posted:

Daniel Bryan Mode

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

oatgan posted:

BRIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE MOOOOODDEEEEEE

FTFY

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

Daniel Bryan posted:

Reviews for PS4/XB1 (excuse the marketing terms) hit at midnight tonight.

East Coast or West coast?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

LoboLoboLobo posted:

East Coast or West coast?

EST, so 9PM Pacific.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Jubs posted:

But you can play as Sting.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jubs posted:

Well, guess I can safely skip this year's iteration if that's the case. A robust career mode was the main draw for me since it doesn't seem like creating WWE vs NJPW 2K15 through the creation modes is really going to be possible with the reduced feature set.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This game sounds like a trainwreck.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Thauros posted:

Well, guess I can safely skip this year's iteration if that's the case. A robust career mode was the main draw for me since it doesn't seem like creating WWE vs NJPW 2K15 through the creation modes is really going to be possible with the reduced feature set.

To be fair, being able to skip the 'creative has nothing for you' segments of your career will probably be a blessing and not a curse.

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E
WWE 2K15 unlocked for PS4, let's do THHHHIIIISSSSSSSSS?!

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Oh god are entrances removed from online?

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
Watching the newlegacyinc stream right now, and eeeesh. Worse than I was expecting in terms of things that were stripped.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

There's always next year, I guess :smith:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Another year of Fire Pro Wrestling: Returns!!!

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Guys the ACTUAL gameplay is still good so don't complain.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Prozach posted:

Watching the newlegacyinc stream right now, and eeeesh. Worse than I was expecting in terms of things that were stripped.

I'm watching this too and while they're only fooling around on career mode, the small bits of gameplay I have seen look absolutely awful. You can supposedly turn chain wrestling off though so that's okay?

The UI is appalling too.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Played some exhibitions and game feels a lot weightier in a really good way, stamina plays out just as good as I thought it would and the tons and tons of new interstitial animations are great, really make everything feel a lot better.

The grappling minigame kinda is boring and I will more than likely just turn that off though.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
found a gif of Summer Rae from Fandango's entrance:

missing her spins where her hair looks like spaghetti trying to strangle her though.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Aphex Twin's followup to his Windowlicker music video is looking good there.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'm playing it and it's fun. The omissions suck but I was so sick of arcade-y Yuke's bullshit and while this isn't No Mercy the pacing is markedly improved

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
I'm gonna end up buying this game and squeezing the life out of it while I can before trading it in for something else. It'll be interesting to see the general overall impression of this game vs. the pockets of people who insist the game has its merits.

Basically they made the perfect TNA game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LoboLoboLobo posted:

I'm gonna end up buying this game and squeezing the life out of it while I can before trading it in for something else. It'll be interesting to see the general overall impression of this game vs. the pockets of people who insist the game has its merits.

Basically they made the perfect TNA game.
As a bonus, you can fit the entire TNA roster in the limited CAW slots.

Or at least, you'll be able to in like two months.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

MyCareer is definitely not NBA2K's - the dead silence during the few cutscenes there are speak to a budget deficit. But as a wrestling-based RPG-lite it's fun, and playing as a weakling nobody lets you ease into the new system. Basically, everything is text (mostly the GM of whatever show you're on telling you "creative has nothing for you", which I think is funny), and you have three "resources" to manage - skill/attribute points, VC (used to buy ability slots and hire Zeb Coulter as your manager), and twitter followers, which I guess fuel your push status(?). You gain skill points by performing (I was told at first that it didn't matter if you won or lost, but it does), and as you rise into the status of Superstars jobber you're given the choice of working dark matches (fewer Twitter followers gained but more VC) or curtain-jerk matches (more twitter followers, less VC). The mode is noticeably kayfabe-lite and throws in a fair few smark terms (Sandow called me a paper champion :'( ).

In terms of gameplay, one thing I do really like is that they really nailed the matches where you play as a cruiserweight against a hoss. Titus and Big E shrug off hard and running strikes and they just toss you if you try to grapple or start the chain wrestling minigame, so you've got to wear them down with weak strikes and rely on your speed to avoid them (Big E hits ridiculously hard) before they open up to offense. It's fun.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Basic Chunnel posted:

MyCareer is definitely not NBA2K's - the dead silence during the few cutscenes there are speak to a budget deficit.

NBA2K14 had some creepy cut scenes where your character would talk but nobody else would.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Basic Chunnel posted:

MyCareer is definitely not NBA2K's - the dead silence during the few cutscenes there are speak to a budget deficit. But as a wrestling-based RPG-lite it's fun, and playing as a weakling nobody lets you ease into the new system. Basically, everything is text (mostly the GM of whatever show you're on telling you "creative has nothing for you", which I think is funny),

I'm totally fine with everything being text if it means you get tons of different cutscenes and branching paths. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

But yeah, for my wrestling games I would much rather have more stuff than voiced scenes. Hell even give me stuff like Smackdown 2 where you don't even get text dialogue, let me fill in the blanks in my head haha.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

triplexpac posted:

I'm totally fine with everything being text if it means you get tons of different cutscenes and branching paths. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

But yeah, for my wrestling games I would much rather have more stuff than voiced scenes. Hell even give me stuff like Smackdown 2 where you don't even get text dialogue, let me fill in the blanks in my head haha.

Me too; unfortunately, it seems that the most vocal part of the audience demand VOs, which is why we went from the awesome season mode in HCTP to the lame ones since HCTP. I guess they hate reading or something?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Davros1 posted:

Me too; unfortunately, it seems that the most vocal part of the audience demand VOs, which is why we went from the awesome season mode in HCTP to the lame ones since HCTP. I guess they hate reading or something?

JR and Lawler always sound so enthused when they're doing VO work.

I'm surprised WWE hasn't forked over mic only audio for Yukes or whoever to splice and play with. Given a large enough sample size, you could probably invent new material out it(think like Siri). But you know innovation, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

coconono posted:

JR and Lawler always sound so enthused when they're doing VO work.

I'm surprised WWE hasn't forked over mic only audio for Yukes or whoever to splice and play with. Given a large enough sample size, you could probably invent new material out it(think like Siri). But you know innovation, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

YEA!! why DOESN'T 2k have a computer speech research lab for their sports game! fuckin just trying to make a quick buck off of DLC instead of trying to solve very hard computer science problems for their games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Basic Chunnel posted:

In terms of gameplay, one thing I do really like is that they really nailed the matches where you play as a cruiserweight against a hoss. Titus and Big E shrug off hard and running strikes and they just toss you if you try to grapple or start the chain wrestling minigame, so you've got to wear them down with weak strikes and rely on your speed to avoid them (Big E hits ridiculously hard) before they open up to offense. It's fun.

So does this just make the gameplay even more imbalanced in favor of (super)heavyweights than before, or are there actual tradeoffs?