Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Oh, so the regular Marvel universe got its own White Event and generated its own set of archetypes, I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Doesn't that mean the answer to his question is yes?
It does not, as the character chosen to be the current Marvel U Starbrand is brand new.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I forgot, but did they ever deal with Starbrand accidentally killing an entire town or did Hickman just went "...but then THIS". Because the last time a superhero accidentally destroyed a town, we got a lovely Mark Millar summer event.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Vincent posted:

I forgot, but did they ever deal with Starbrand accidentally killing an entire town or did Hickman just went "...but then THIS". Because the last time a superhero accidentally destroyed a town, we got a lovely Mark Millar summer event.

It was hardly his fault. The White Event targeted him, quite literally, at random.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Vincent posted:

IIRC it wasn't a town, it was just the school he was at.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vincent posted:

The Marvel Universe at large didn't deal with it, but on a personal level, in Avengers World, Starbrand had to go on a mission to an underground city of the dead in Venice where he got a major mindfuck when all the spirits of his dead classmates rose up and swarmed him.

Spoiler alert: He lived.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vincent posted:

I don't know that I'd describe Nitro as a superhero. :D

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Vincent posted:

He was a completely unwilling participant in a faulty White Event, so it would be weird to blame him for the destruction of the college he was at at the time.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

Oh, so the regular Marvel universe got its own White Event and generated its own set of archetypes, I see.

It is so far just a Nightmask and a Starbrand. But the machine is currently broken because of other things happening in Hickman's run so this White Event happened/is happening wrong. The Nightmask is a perfect human created by an alien gardener on Mars just because that's the kind of thing he does.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

redbackground posted:

He was a completely unwilling participant in a faulty White Event, so it would be weird to blame him for the destruction of the college he was at at the time.

Did people blame him for that time he lobotomized the planet?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

Did people blame him for that time he lobotomized the planet?

In fairness like only a handful of people know what he did there. And they aren't telling.

I also get the feeling, personally, that while a Sentient Earth may have been a way of surviving the Incursions, I can't imagine the interests of a Sentient Earth and the Survival of the Human race are goals that coincide.

For all we know, Starbrand may have saved all life on Earth by Lobotomizing the planet.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Golgo 13 is so badass he assassinated a diamond

(via Jog)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Heresiarch posted:

Just a Starbrand and Nightmask. The big difference is that the guy who ends up as Starbrand isn't the kind of person who should have been given power. Although he eventually grows into it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

fatherboxx posted:

Golgo 13 is so badass he assassinated a diamond

(via Jog)

A while back fellow Goons Slowbeef and Diabetus did a Let's Play of the Golgo 13 game for the NES. I read up on the Golgo 13 Manga. The guy has been active for a long while, and one of his many trademarks is making impossible shots. Like not just killing guys (though he kills a lot) but also some mad shots.

Apparently one of the things he was hired to do was (I heard, I have yet to see the scans) is he was hired to shoot the Florida box that resulted in Al Gore losing the election.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I would like to hear more about comic characters who assassinate inanimate objects or abstract concepts

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

muscles like this? posted:

Just a Starbrand and Nightmask. The big difference is that the guy who ends up as Starbrand isn't the kind of person who should have been given power. Although he eventually grows into it.

It doesn't really matter who became Starbrand though. Whoever he was before, he's been consumed by what he has become, and all those foreground people who would normally have gotten the power would have subsumed into the role of planetary defense system the same way.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Question IRL posted:

A while back fellow Goons Slowbeef and Diabetus did a Let's Play of the Golgo 13 game for the NES. I read up on the Golgo 13 Manga. The guy has been active for a long while, and one of his many trademarks is making impossible shots. Like not just killing guys (though he kills a lot) but also some mad shots.

Apparently one of the things he was hired to do was (I heard, I have yet to see the scans) is he was hired to shoot the Florida box that resulted in Al Gore losing the election.

Didn't Bender shoot a box of Al Gore votes in the first Futurama movie?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

prefect posted:

Didn't Bender shoot a box of Al Gore votes in the first Futurama movie?

BUSH "WINS" ELECTION

yes

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

redbackground posted:

TwoPair posted:

The Marvel Universe at large didn't deal with it, but on a personal level, in Avengers World, Starbrand had to go on a mission to an underground city of the dead in Venice where he got a major mindfuck when all the spirits of his dead classmates rose up and swarmed him.

Spoiler alert: He lived.
Thanks!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

It's from a manga called Black Jack, don't know which volume it is since I got it from Tumblr (which is also why the panels are all cropped up). Remember to read right to left.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Huh, bad rear end plastic surgery. That's a new one on me.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Every single chapter of Black Jack is loving badass and everyone should seek it out.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

House may have been rooted in Sherlock Holmes, but he's got more than a little Black Jack in him and absolutely everyone should read it.

Not just that but his requisite moe sidekick is literally a loving cyborg he built from a teratoma (one of those tumors people find with poo poo like teeth and hair in it).

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Not just that but his requisite moe sidekick is literally a loving cyborg he built from a teratoma (one of those tumors people find with poo poo like teeth and hair in it).

Big deal, like Blackjack's the only person whoever got drunk and made a person :rolleyes:

Something to remember is that Tezuka was a trained surgeon himself, which somehow makes all of the blatantly impossible poo poo Blackjack pulls off feel even more awesome.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Alacron posted:

Big deal, like Blackjack's the only person whoever got drunk and made a person :rolleyes:

Something to remember is that Tezuka was a trained surgeon himself, which somehow makes all of the blatantly impossible poo poo Blackjack pulls off feel even more awesome.

Is there a place where i can read all the blackjack ever online?

Asking for a friend.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

He's asking for me, I need to know

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I tried to watch the anime and it was pretty generically bad, should I give the manga a try?

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
The manga's pretty good, but I don't know if all of it was ever collected and translated into english. There's been a couple of publication runs on it the last one started in 08 and ended in 11 and... drat that might have been everything.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I tried to watch the anime and it was pretty generically bad, should I give the manga a try?

Yeah the manga is waaaaaaaaaay better than the anime. I couldn't sit through a single episode of it. If you guys want to read it I would recommend checking out your local libraries. If they don't have it then you can usually do an inter-library loan and get it from somewhere else. If you don't do that then just buy some volumes off of Amazon. The stories are really self contained and they only call back to other issues once in a while. You could probably pick up any book and pick up what's going on just fine.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I can't believe I have to say this but the answer to "should I read this Tezuka book?" is always yes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

I can't believe I have to say this but the answer to "should I read this Tezuka book?" is always yes.

Yeah I haven't read too much of his stuff but literally everything of his I've ever touched has been no-fooling great.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

New Avengers #27:

A while back: AIM accidentally unleashes a group of Avengers from another universe. These Avengers are evil (Thor's hammer is for the unworthy, Hulk is a sociopath that got lobotomized and is controlled by others) and generally are a bunch of dicks. Our Avengers fight then, AIM retrieves them and sends them back to another universe. All's well.

Not so while back: Fury whispers sweet things to Thor. He can no longer wield Mjolnir.

The current situation: Everything is ending. The multi-verse is hosed. The Avengers sends their heavy hitters to the far ends of it to punch the bad guys real loving hard.

Now: The heavy hitters arrive at the home of the black priests, one of the factions that destroy Earths during incursions.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Unworthy Thor-with-an-extra-R Mjolnir is some Silver Age-tier cheese, I love it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

drat Thor lay off the donuts

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Movie Thor is actually Thorr. :stare:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Hickman is really great at this. Wow. I wonder if he set that up in anticipation of not getting to use full power thor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nevvy Z posted:

Hickman is really great at this. Wow. I wonder if he set that up in anticipation of not getting to use full power thor.

I don't know about this particular instance, but he's also really great at rolling with whatever he needs to. Peter Parker Spider-Man is specifically recruited in Avengers #1, but quickly it becomes Spock and he writes a great Spock for a couple issues and then quietly shuffles him off to the sidelines.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Endless Mike posted:

Movie Thor is actually Thorr. :stare:

Yeah that is straight up his armor from The Dark World

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Are you reading Kill Six Billion Demons?

You should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Tom Parkinson-Morgan has a page in Prophet: Strikefile #2 which came out today. You should be reading it as well!