Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

milkaxor posted:

Finally took it to the Apple Store and they were a bit baffled. The guy said the board was probably horked so they sent it off for repair. PRAM and SMC reset did nothing. Plugging it into an external did nothing either.

While I was there I took a look at a 5k iMac. So pretty. May get rid of the laptop and htpc mini and go with a 5k and a cable to the TV. Between my work laptop and my iPad I don't use my laptop much.

Yup, that's the gpu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Recently we got U-Verse, and part of the setup is a wifi access point for one of our receivers so that it doesn't have to hook up to coax. We have continued to use our Time Capsule for backup purposes and additionally have an Airport Express to extend the network on the far side of our house. For some reason the Time Capsule seems to totally drop wifi every few days. Like, the SSID isn't even there until we reboot the TC. Just to be safe I set the AT&T access point to channel 1 while the TC is on channel 11. So far this works but is there anything else I can try? All the hardware are the newest current versions.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

I've got a mid 2010 Mac Pro and a 2011 Macbook Pro 17" and am looking to get rid of both as my iPad has basically replaced them. Where is my best chance at getting a reasonable amount of money for them? I've used eBay for things in the past but my auctions seem to end up going for way less than similar auctions so I'm a bit wary of using that as I don't want them to go for peanuts. I'm guessing selling them to one of those recycling websites is a bit of a waste as they'll just lowball me? UK based by the way.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
I've spent enough time with this 13" rMBP to be totally blown away by this screen. It really is that good. Other screen do look crappy for like 5 minutes until my eyes get adjusted. For anyone worried about the weight; it is noticeable, but it's not so heavy that I haven't just carried it with me when I head out (and that includes a hardshell case). drat it I love this screen. It makes coding and design so much easier.

That said, I am now selling my old MBP in SA Mart. I have to admit, while this machine does run better, the main upgrade between the two is really the screen and the weight.

VVV For what it's worth: I didn't study this stuff growing up either; I just started learning myself. Many people do, so if you want to learn, go for it :)

yoyomama fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 16, 2014

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Nothing to do with Mac hardware or anything else really, but you guys mentioning coding and designing make me jealous. I wish I had learned that stuff when I was younger instead of playing games for 60 hours a week. It's just cool being able to create something pretty much from anywhere, so long as you have a good laptop in front of you. Having a rMBP myself, I feel like I could do so much more with it than school work and the usual average user poo poo. I'm gonna see if I can give coding a try and look up some lessons on coursera or whatever. Who knows, maybe I'll be decent at it after a few months of taking lessons.

/end e/n post

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just do it man. There are so many free resources and people who want to help new programmers. Find out if there's a club relevant to what you want to learn at your local university.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It blows my mind how easy it is to start from scratch and get up to speed in any type of software development you're interested it. There are so many great resources like video tutorials and stack overflow and virtualization and emulators and the plethora of browser tools. If you have a halfway decent mac you can be up and running creating things on any technology stack for free without much effort regardless of how you best learn, it's really quite amazing compared to when I started learning and had to spend thousands of dollars on hardware, software licenses, and proprietary training materials just to sort of learn how to make things on one stack and rather poorly at that. Never has been a better time if you're interested and have the motivation.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Ordered on November 1st.

I'm not too hopeful somehow.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Yeast posted:

So far they've always delivered everything I've ordered when they said they would or earlier.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Butt Savage posted:

Nothing to do with Mac hardware or anything else really, but you guys mentioning coding and designing make me jealous. I wish I had learned that stuff when I was younger instead of playing games for 60 hours a week. It's just cool being able to create something pretty much from anywhere, so long as you have a good laptop in front of you. Having a rMBP myself, I feel like I could do so much more with it than school work and the usual average user poo poo. I'm gonna see if I can give coding a try and look up some lessons on coursera or whatever. Who knows, maybe I'll be decent at it after a few months of taking lessons.

/end e/n post

If you want more structure than just "google some courses" you can get a codeschool subscription for a month and see how you like it.

https://www.codeschool.com/

But yeah echoing the "go for it" sentiment

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeast posted:

Ordered on November 1st.

Check your tracking number.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I have a macbook pro with usb, firewire and lightning ports. I am currently using a crappy laptop hard drive in an enclosure and need a bigger/faster external drive.

What is the biggest/fastest drive at a reasonable price that I can get given the above port options? Price range would be $100-$150. It would live at home so it can be a 3.5" drive.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

flavor posted:

So far they've always delivered everything I've ordered when they said they would or earlier.

Same here. It usually came earlier than what it would post online.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

cowofwar posted:

I have a macbook pro with usb, firewire and lightning ports. I am currently using a crappy laptop hard drive in an enclosure and need a bigger/faster external drive.

What is the biggest/fastest drive at a reasonable price that I can get given the above port options? Price range would be $100-$150. It would live at home so it can be a 3.5" drive.

USB3 but I'm not sure a model of MBP that has Firewire on it has USB3?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

~Coxy posted:

2012 fat MBP? http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/

And yeah USB 3 will be the best bet in terms of speed and price. Although if you have a 2011 you have USB 2.0, but you can get Kanex's $80 TB to USB 3 and eSATA adapter...unless you need the TB port as a display output.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

~Coxy posted:

fw800 would be faster than usb2 but fw800 enclosures are expensive. rMBP has Thunderbolt and USB3 but you can get a TB->FW adapter.

usb2 externals are slow as hell. usb3 or FW800 or TB would be my only options to consider. with 802.11ac you can get faster than usb2 performance from a NAS.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bonobos posted:

I saw this a few pages back, and I am curious. I assume you did this with the kit from OWC? Isn't the SSD a blade rather than a reg 2.5 drive? I am thinking about getting the Retina iMac and doing the exact same setup as you, but am unsure how expensive / difficult this will be to attempt.
Nope, using an Apple OEM 256GB SATA SSD and a 6TB HDD in an older mid-2010 iMac.

edit: I see other folks chimed in about my setup :shobon:

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Thanks for the motivation and info, guys. I'm pretty excited to get started.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
I just picked up a MBP 13" retina today, so far running well save for one thing: In steam, images and text in the store and other parts look blurry and low res. After some research I have read that this is likely due to the browser steam uses to display their store and other information, but I not 100% sure. Is there something I can do to correct this other than scaling up my resolution (which only minimizes it), and if not, Is this something I will run into often?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

I said come in! posted:

Check your tracking number.

It's not shipped yet, it's still 'processing order' hence my doubt it will be on my doorstep in less than 3 days.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeast posted:

It's not shipped yet, it's still 'processing order' hence my doubt it will be on my doorstep in less than 3 days.

Whoops, yeah probably time to call Apple. Once it ships its out of their hands, but in the mean time call Apple.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Yeah it's an early 2011 2.2ghz 15" so usb2, firewire and thunderbolt. The kanex adaptor is cool but expensive.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Is it a good idea to buy an old Mini with a quad core and then upgrade the SSD and RAM, or are they too old to be worth it? I'm basically wanting an iMac without the screen and I don't know if I want to spring for a Mac Pro. The current Minis seem kind of weak.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Yup, the new Minis are a pretty large step backward

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You can get a quad core 2012 Mini and pump it up, the only issue is that you'll get an okay-but-not-great GPU, the Intel GMA 4000. You're not going to be able to play any bleeding edge games at full res with that but the quad cores should be able to handle whatever you've got in mind that ISN'T gaming.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Butt Savage posted:

/end e/n post

Yeah, I've been thinking the same myself. I have a MBA and a still pretty good four year old windows desktop,not a rMBP though. I've tried different online guides but always get bored by them. The tasks always feel the same, like make a calculator and then a slightly different calculator. There's no special project I need coding for, that might be why I always are bored by them. I'm learning assembly programming in school now so that's kinda fun. After christmas it's C++, now I have to learn it! :confuoot:

Selklubber fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 17, 2014

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Coolwhoami posted:

I just picked up a MBP 13" retina today, so far running well save for one thing: In steam, images and text in the store and other parts look blurry and low res. After some research I have read that this is likely due to the browser steam uses to display their store and other information, but I not 100% sure. Is there something I can do to correct this other than scaling up my resolution (which only minimizes it), and if not, Is this something I will run into often?
It's to do with the way the retina screen works. The actual screen is 2560x1600 but everything is rendered twice as big as normal to make it 'look' like 1280x800 does. This essentially means you have 4 pixels where you'd have had 1 before so everything looks super crisp and detailed.

The blurry stuff you see is where there wasn't double sized assets available so what the OS is doing to compensate is taking that single pixel (i.e. what it would've looked like at 1280x800) and blowing it up to 4 pixels to make it fit on the screen. Upscaling always makes stuff lose quality, so you end up with it being blurry on screen.

E: Oops, missed the second part of your question. The main place you'll run into this is pictures on web content.

There's a flag (I think it's @2x) that web pages can use to say 'if the device viewing has a HiDPI screen, give them this instead' but a lot of pages still don't use it despite the prevalence of iPads. Most OS X applications have retina support these days but I've noticed a lot of them have non-retina menu bar icons still.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 17, 2014

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Just want to pop in and say gently caress you Apple. You probably just failed my capstone course. Macbook retina died after 6 month, send in, unknown part failed and on backorder, for the last week. Unknown date of return. Customer service saying sorry, tough luck.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Provided this is a file issue and not a in need of a computer issue, would apple pull a hard drive to get files for you in such a scenario?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I heard they give loaner machines when poo poo really fucks up... You had your project backed up, right?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Do you not have another copy of the file on Dropbox / iCloud Drive / thumb drive / carrier pigeon or the like?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Another Poster posted:

Just want to pop in and say gently caress you Apple. You probably just failed my capstone course. Macbook retina died after 6 month, send in, unknown part failed and on backorder, for the last week. Unknown date of return. Customer service saying sorry, tough luck.

I like my projects like hardcore Diablo characters: Hardened the f... up.

Serioustalk: Computers aren't 100% failsafe, if your data or the availability to keep working are worth anything to you, have backups and a secondary machine. This applies to all brands.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
I'll delete this if this question isn't allowed, but I need some help: I'm trying to sell my 2011 13" MBP and 2013 11" Air. Does $700 sound like a fair price for either of them (both in great condition, with a negligible screen issue with the MBP), or is that too high?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

You can get a quad core 2012 Mini and pump it up, the only issue is that you'll get an okay-but-not-great GPU, the Intel GMA 4000. You're not going to be able to play any bleeding edge games at full res with that but the quad cores should be able to handle whatever you've got in mind that ISN'T gaming.
Yeah you lose some GPU but gain two more CPU cores out of it. And the older ones have user upgradable RAM and dual drive bays (not really meant to be user upgradable, but they are) vs the single one in the new ones (along with PCIe connector for the SSD). Otherwise port wise they changed TB1+FW to 2 TB2 ports. New one would be better if you want/need a 3 display setup, possible on the old one but you'd need a TB display for that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

yoyomama posted:

I'll delete this if this question isn't allowed, but I need some help: I'm trying to sell my 2011 13" MBP and 2013 11" Air. Does $700 sound like a fair price for either of them (both in great condition, with a negligible screen issue with the MBP), or is that too high?

Pricing is weird - I am not getting any bites on my 2013 11" @ $600

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Pricing is weird - I am not getting any bites on my 2013 11" @ $600

Well that's unsettling - I posted the same model on CL for $700 and haven't gotten any bites, either (meanwhile there are people posting 2010 models for more).

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I'm in the same boat, it seems like anything older than a year is complete chaos for pricing. Might just have to go wild low to get out ahead of the noise and unload this poo poo.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
If your stuff isn't backed up and you lose it it's no one's fault but yours. Two places - onsite and offsite.

Anyways, I'm in a bit of a pickle and I'm curious what y'all think is the best bet. Right now my only machine is a Bloomfield-era i7 Hackintosh desktop, but I've grown really, really tired of the stuff needed to keep it going and fully functional. I already have a fantastic 27" IPS monitor, studio monitor speakers, audio interface, webcam, Apple BT keyboard and Magic Trackpad, etc so I'm only looking at desktop-style options. My desktop also functions as a Plex Media Server. I have four drives in it right now - a 120GB SSD, 2TB main storage, 1TB Plex drive and 1TB Time Machine drive. The SSD and 2TB drive were joined as a Fusion Drive before I attempted to go to Yosemite & Clover and everything exploded. I don't do much gaming on it beyond indie Steam games and emulators, but I do a lot of Logic X work and a little bit of FCPX work, as well as some VMWare lab environments. I feel like four cores (counting HT) and 8GB of RAM is the absolute floor for what I need, but I don't really want to step back from where I'm at with 8 cores and 12GB of RAM.

I was planning on getting the new Mini when it came out but it's a bit underwhelming on the price / performance level. An i7 / 16GB / 1TB Fusion Drive Mini is $1300, and then I'd need to either convert my current desktop to a FreeNAS & Plex box or get a dedicated NAS applaince. That Mini is faster than my desktop in single threaded tasks, but I have twice the cores and a better video card, and I should be faster overall according to GeekBench. I really don't want to spend a ton of money to stay where I am or take a step backwards performance-wise.

I keep coming back to a 2009/2010-era Mac Pro as the best value option for the next few years. It has the space for all of my drives. I don't need Thunderbolt yet as my interface is USB. I have a SHITLOAD of DDR3 ECC RAM at work I could throw into it. I have the OSXWifi.com PCI adapter for the OEM iMac Broadcom 802.11ac / BT card so Handoff, Continuity, AirDrop etc will all work. I can pick one up for ~$600, throw all my poo poo into it and keep on trucking.

I definitely do want to have a dedicated NAS at some point that I can run Plex and backups off of, but it seems like any of my Mini options would require that to happen right off the bat and I just can't swing both at the same time right now. I think in a year or two I'm going to want the next generation 5k iMac, and I'll need the NAS by then but I'd like to do things in a couple of chunks.

If my current desktop is fast enough for me and works like I want things to work (just frustrating on a functional level) I'd assume that a 2009 Pro should bridge between today and then fairly well, right?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

If your stuff isn't backed up and you lose it it's no one's fault but yours. Two places - onsite and offsite.

Anyways, I'm in a bit of a pickle and I'm curious what y'all think is the best bet. Right now my only machine is a Bloomfield-era i7 Hackintosh desktop, but I've grown really, really tired of the stuff needed to keep it going and fully functional. I already have a fantastic 27" IPS monitor, studio monitor speakers, audio interface, webcam, Apple BT keyboard and Magic Trackpad, etc so I'm only looking at desktop-style options. My desktop also functions as a Plex Media Server. I have four drives in it right now - a 120GB SSD, 2TB main storage, 1TB Plex drive and 1TB Time Machine drive. The SSD and 2TB drive were joined as a Fusion Drive before I attempted to go to Yosemite & Clover and everything exploded. I don't do much gaming on it beyond indie Steam games and emulators, but I do a lot of Logic X work and a little bit of FCPX work, as well as some VMWare lab environments. I feel like four cores (counting HT) and 8GB of RAM is the absolute floor for what I need, but I don't really want to step back from where I'm at with 8 cores and 12GB of RAM.

I was planning on getting the new Mini when it came out but it's a bit underwhelming on the price / performance level. An i7 / 16GB / 1TB Fusion Drive Mini is $1300, and then I'd need to either convert my current desktop to a FreeNAS & Plex box or get a dedicated NAS applaince. That Mini is faster than my desktop in single threaded tasks, but I have twice the cores and a better video card, and I should be faster overall according to GeekBench. I really don't want to spend a ton of money to stay where I am or take a step backwards performance-wise.

I keep coming back to a 2009/2010-era Mac Pro as the best value option for the next few years. It has the space for all of my drives. I don't need Thunderbolt yet as my interface is USB. I have a SHITLOAD of DDR3 ECC RAM at work I could throw into it. I have the OSXWifi.com PCI adapter for the OEM iMac Broadcom 802.11ac / BT card so Handoff, Continuity, AirDrop etc will all work. I can pick one up for ~$600, throw all my poo poo into it and keep on trucking.

I definitely do want to have a dedicated NAS at some point that I can run Plex and backups off of, but it seems like any of my Mini options would require that to happen right off the bat and I just can't swing both at the same time right now. I think in a year or two I'm going to want the next generation 5k iMac, and I'll need the NAS by then but I'd like to do things in a couple of chunks.

If my current desktop is fast enough for me and works like I want things to work (just frustrating on a functional level) I'd assume that a 2009 Pro should bridge between today and then fairly well, right?
If you can get one for a reasonable price that has a decent video card in it I'd think it'd fit the bill given your requirements. The one think you want to keep in mind is that they can sound like a jet fighter taking off when you start making them work and generate heat.

Also, I've got the 5K iMac with SSD and NAS thing going on and it's a great combo I can't recommend enough for when you can swing the finances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

yoyomama posted:

For the 11" Air it depends on the specs. Apple has that Air refurb as low as $768, but only 4Gb and 128GB storage. Curious to know what your Airs have spec wise?