Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apple should release some guidelines on what maximum tire pressure is acceptable for people may run over their phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

jackpot posted:

Alright, this is interesting. I was tired of having my icloud account tied to an email address I never use anymore, so I changed it. Problem is, now I've got another device, my iPad, that's asking for my icloud password... for the old email address. The one that's not tied to any account anymore. I've tried deleting the icloud account completely from this iPad, but of course it needs a password in order to turn off find my phone. How do I fix this? Do I need to reset my account back to the old email just so I can log into this iPad and turn off FMP?
So I figured out, there is no easier way that I can find to do this. You have to go into every device and turn off Find My Phone, then change your account at icloud.com, then go back into every device and log back in. If you skip a device you'll be blocked from downloading/updating any apps, plus whatever else you do with your icloud account.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

smackfu posted:

$649. That's the price of an iPhone 6.

Do not buy the $649 model

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Mu Zeta posted:

Do not buy the $649 model

Or do. I had the small size iphone 5 and never got close to the data limit or having to delete pictures.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

How good/bad is the battery life on a 6+? My 6 barely lasts 3+ hours with google maps when I'm driving around, and never lasts a full day with average use. I really hate having it almost dead when I come back home after work.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

awesome-express posted:

How good/bad is the battery life on a 6+? My 6 barely lasts 3+ hours with google maps when I'm driving around, and never lasts a full day with average use. I really hate having it almost dead when I come back home after work.
What's your battery usage say? A regular 6 should definitely last 12+ hours with moderate/heavy usage. A 6+ likely a day and a half.

Not lasting 4 hours seems wrong.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Continual GPS use eats battery very quickly -
If you're driving around with GPS on (and probably the screen too) 3 hours seems reasonable. Get a car charger.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

goodness posted:

Or do. I had the small size iphone 5 and never got close to the data limit or having to delete pictures.

Same, and I have a 16gb 6 right now.

Keeps me from hoarding too many apps on my phone.

heldicus
Oct 27, 2004

:stare:............:byodood:
I used apple pay at home depot today. Still had to sign.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

heldicus posted:

I used apple pay at home depot today. Still had to sign.
This is a credit card thing, not a NFC payments thing. If you buy something over $25 (or $50) with a credit card you're required to sign.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Whirlwind Jones posted:

This is a credit card thing, not a NFC payments thing. If you buy something over $25 (or $50) with a credit card you're required to sign.

Yup. I am sure "Apple Pay" is just NFC I don't think the retail knows the difference. Just swipe or contactless. It rides the same rails as any NFC or swipe. At is why I don't understand people who say "used Apple pay and had to sign = fail" Apple never said you don't have to sign (even though the lingo they use makes it seems as your Touch ID is your signature). It is even better the people that get annoyed when they use Apple pay as debit and have to enter in the pin......

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dbhjed posted:

Yup. I am sure "Apple Pay" is just NFC I don't think the retail knows the difference. Just swipe or contactless. It rides the same rails as any NFC or swipe. At is why I don't understand people who say "used Apple pay and had to sign = fail" Apple never said you don't have to sign (even though the lingo they use makes it seems as your Touch ID is your signature). It is even better the people that get annoyed when they use Apple pay as debit and have to enter in the pin......

Debit and PIN I can kind of understand. But signing? That makes zero sense. The signature is verification of the card holder in case of dispute. For Apple Pay the fingerprint is validation and payment won't even go through without it. Places that require a signature are probably places that likely don't have an updated agreement with their processor (probably the majority). I have made purchases over the "must sign" limit with Apple Pay and was never asked for a signature.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

flosofl posted:

Debit and PIN I can kind of understand. But signing? That makes zero sense. The signature is verification of the card holder in case of dispute. For Apple Pay the fingerprint is validation and payment won't even go through without it. Places that require a signature are probably places that likely don't have an updated agreement with their processor (probably the majority). I have made purchases over the "must sign" limit with Apple Pay and was never asked for a signature.
Not exactly. I can steal your credit card info or take a picture of your credit card and add it to my ApplePay on my iPhone, requiring it to use my fingerprint to authenticate. The fingerprint isn't in lieu of the signature, it's an extra form of authentication in the event that your phone gets stolen.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Not exactly. I can steal your credit card info or take a picture of your credit card and add it to my ApplePay on my iPhone, requiring it to use my fingerprint to authenticate. The fingerprint isn't in lieu of the signature, it's an extra form of authentication in the event that your phone gets stolen.

There's a verification step between scanning the card on your phone and Apple Pay accepting it for use.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Kobayashi posted:

There's a verification step between scanning the card on your phone and Apple Pay accepting it for use.
Is there? There wasn't for me. Might depend on the bank but I was able to add both a Chase credit and US Bank debit card without any other action on my part.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

I don't think there is a separate rail for "Apple pay". The store sees it as a contactless payment they don't know if it is Apple Pay, Google Wallet, or the NFC chip built into some credit cards. It is just NFC. So it should be expected to work along the same rules as a non Apple pay transaction. From what I read it isn't identified as an Apple pay until it gets to the card processer like fifth third or merchant link. So the store has no clue ever.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kobayashi posted:

Depends on the bank. My understanding is that Chase and Citi required nothing. Wells Fargo uses another app or a phone call. AmEx uses an email or phone call.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Is there? There wasn't for me.

Did you use the card that was already associated with your iTunes account? In that case, I think you just have to enter the CCV again.

Edit:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Depends on the bank. My understanding is that Chase and Citi required nothing. Wells Fargo uses another app or a phone call. AmEx uses an email or phone call.

Hmm, OK. Maybe not then.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Kobayashi posted:

My chase had me enter a pin that got texted to me. PNC just worked, said verifying and a minute later it was ready to use, no contact needed from me. I guess they feel someone getting information from both the front and back of the cards are rare, or they used the UUID from their banking app matched the one that was registered.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I use both Wells Fargo and Amex. Neither required an app or phone call.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
US Bank made me call them and provide the card number and last four of my SSN. I restored from a backup and had to call again to re-activate the card the same way.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
Amex and BoA here. Neither had any kind of immediate verification step other than entering the security code on the card. Both did send a follow up email saying that an Apple Pay device registered my card.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Amex and BofA sent me soft verification emails saying "your card was added to Apple Pay on <my phone name>".

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Brock Landers posted:

Amex and BoA here. Neither had any kind of immediate verification step other than entering the security code on the card. Both did send a follow up email saying that an Apple Pay device registered my card.

Huh interesting, I'm with BoA and I had to verify with a call.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Brock Landers posted:

Huh interesting, I'm with BoA and I had to verify with a call.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
So guys how do you make sure the good money you've paid for an iPhone 6/6 plus 64GB will get you a MLC version instead of the cheap garbage that's the TLC?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1814340&page=16

Seems like some people are having problems with crashy iPhone 6/6 Plus due to TLC NAND. A lot of people are having no problem at all and then crashing a ton the next.

The funniest thing is that TLC is used only in some 64GB and all of the 128GB version. Some of the 64GB version is tested to have the old and more reliable MLC too.

Should I just keep on buy/return till I get a better MLC version instead of sticking with TLC with like 1/4 the storage lifespan?

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 18, 2014

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

When it breaks take it to apple and get a new phone. I've got a 64 gig 6 and it has never crashed on me.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
That seriously sounds like some hardcore sperg nerd poo poo.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

POCKET CHOMP posted:

That seriously sounds like some hardcore sperg nerd poo poo.

I gather this is what's causing the app crashing on 128gb iPhones? Seems like a big deal.

Like the difference in model numbers for iPhone4's between the one that has antenna and the one that doesn't.

Welp, it solidifies my waiting for the 6S.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DaNzA posted:

So guys how do you make sure the good money you've paid for an iPhone 6/6 plus 64GB will get you a MLC version instead of the cheap garbage that's the TLC?

Seems like some people are having problems with crashy iPhone 6/6 Plus due to TLC NAND. A lot of people are having no problem at all and then crashing a ton the next.

The funniest thing is that TLC is used only in some 64GB and all of the 128GB version. Some of the 64GB version is tested to have the old and more reliable MLC too.

Should I just keep on buy/return till I get a better MLC version instead of sticking with TLC with like 1/4 the storage lifespan?

Hahaha what now

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
If there was an easy/nonsketchy way to check MLC vs TLC I'd do it out of curiosity. Since there isn't one I'll just continue using my 6+ without worrying about it.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
I recently purchased a pair of Jaybird Bluebuds X, and everything is wonderful, except that the music volume on my iPhone 6+ is 50% of what my wired headphones put out, even when the phone volume is 100%. I have re-paired the headset several times, to no avail.

Much to my chagrin, when I paired the Bluebuds X to a Nexus 4 running Kitkat, my friend was able to boost bluetooth volume specifically, and the headset sounded AWESOME.

Is there any way I can increase the volume of bluetooth music on my iPhone? What am I missing? :) I'm using a iPhone 6+ running 8.1.

Thoughts appreciated. :)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a pair of those for use with my 6 and have no issues with volume (its loud enough that I never run them at max volume). So I can't help you, but there doesn't seem to be a fundamental incompatibility as far as I can tell.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

DaNzA posted:

If you phone doesn't work take it to Apple and get a new one. If your phone works keep it and use it.

Hope this helps.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

awesome-express posted:

When it breaks take it to apple and get a new phone. I've got a 64 gig 6 and it has never crashed on me.
I had a couple resprings on 8.0, but that was it. It was certainly better than my 5s on 7.0 ever was.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Whirlwind Jones posted:

If you phone doesn't work take it to Apple and get a new one. If your phone works keep it and use it.

Hope this helps.

It used to just be on the iPad, but now it is on both of my devices--email apps, and it seems to only be them, including stock will not swipe from the homescreen notification to the message chosen, but go to the inbox instead. However, whatever email I swiped is marked as read then in all three apps.

I've already restored both as new a few times, and was wondering if any of you had experienced it before.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Woo. Got my $180 Apple Store gift card for mailing in my AT&T 16gb 5. Off to go get Apple Care and an over priced $50 scrap of leather to protect my 6+. So I can stop being so paranoid that I'm going to drop it and be out $1,000 for a new one.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
gently caress double post. Quoted instead of hit edit.

Anyway the Apple Care+ website says it covers accessories. Does that mean when my piece of poo poo Apple lightning cable frays again I can take it and get a new one?

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 18, 2014

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Bum the Sad posted:

Anyway the Apple Care+ website says it covers accessories. Does that mean when my piece of poo poo Apple lightning cable frays again I can take it and get a new one?

From what I've heard, you can take it in whether you have applecare or not. Probably because they don't want headlines like "defective apple cable burns down orphanage" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Bum the Sad posted:

The warranty for your phone also covers whatever came in the box with it so Applecare+ does as well.