Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

senseinobu posted:

It's on itunes so there shouldn't be any problem.

Oh, score. Thanks. Wow only :10bux: too! I was expecting to have to pay more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh, score. Thanks. Wow only :10bux: too! I was expecting to have to pay more.

It's actually $20, 2 volumes for $10 each. But still worth it!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Neruz posted:

Charchamp is still the best fake pokemon.

It takes more to make a Charizard/Machamp combo than an extra pair of arms and a tryhard design.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah! It takes two extra pairs of arms. Idiots.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

And so Evil Raiden succumbs to his mortal nemesis... NANOMACHINES, SON!

He was struck by the lightning in that rain.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just watched the update.

God drat I loving love Platinum rival battles. No one does mirror matches better.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Ometeotl posted:

It takes more to make a Charizard/Machamp combo than an extra pair of arms and a tryhard design.

Nope that's pretty much what it is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ometeotl posted:

Yeah, where's the belt

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
The Immorta name pun was with 'imouto', right?

Japanese for younger sister.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I thought it was "Imo da", or "I'm a potato" because of her funny hat.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Wait, you mean she's NOT just immortal?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's probably Imouto yeah, now that it's been pointed out it's blindingly obvious.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Wonder Santa is a reference to Santa Claus.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Whizbang posted:

Wonder Santa is a reference to Santa Claus.

Yeah, in retrospect it's pretty obvious.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was going to be something like Im-mort-a, as in she's going to die. I guess that could still happen.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

DoctorWhat posted:

Also Ironicus why don't you ever hang out in the Who threads in TVIV?

I like tho show too much to read about what people on the internet have to say about it. I stopped reading that thread years ago.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Guys, guys, guys. Explain why are you hating on the idiotic little brat? He just ensured that Best Character Ever (the one called Vorkken, since the game has too many Best Characters Ever to count) wouldn't die. Think about it, Best Character's death has to be a dramatic affair and the idiotic little brat just sucked all the drama out of the scene. The laws, nay, the gods of drama themselves will now keep him alive; so really, we should thank the idiotic little brat for ensuring Vorkken's time has not come.

After thoroughly schooling the idiotic little brat, of course.

Am I the only one who started giggling like an idiot when Vorkkie pulled his unlimited mode? Although Immorta pounding some sense into her brother was almost as awesome.
Unsolved questions: why the hell do we have the same tech as the Rhulloans? Is Shirogane from Rhullo, say the court magician scientist? Because you'd think the jerks would start pulling unite morphs if that was common knowledge galactic tech. Maybe the cubes counts for that, though.
Chewgi? More specifically, what's his deal? Again, not that important I suppose.

Prediction: Platinum is going to pull a Bayonetta. That is, the final boss is going to trap our heores and control will switch to Vorkken, Immorta, Chewgi plus assorted space criminals for the daring rescue.

EDIT: sub-prediction. If Immorta comes with us now, Vorkken will sacrifice himself to save the team. If she stays behind, he will try to do so and she will slap some sense into him.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 18, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

General Ironicus posted:

I like tho show too much to read about what people on the internet have to say about it. I stopped reading that thread years ago.

This was a good decision you made.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Kaizor Diejeah: 改造大蛇 (kaizou daija), remodelled big snake.
Heyourgah: 氷河 (hyouga), glacier.
Vorkken's Teio-form: 帝王 (teiou), emperor.
Gimme: possibly from 君 (kimi), which just means "you" in modern Japanese, but originally meant "ruler" or "master". As Chip mentioned in the video, his design is based on the Flatwoods monster, which seems to have become well-known in Japan during an occult boom in the 70s. Apparently, it was popularized by a sci-fi author, translator and paranormal investigator called Hiroshi Minamiyama, whose books and TV programs on the monster left an impression on many of the children who grew up during the decade.
Giga-Goonkhan: ギガ軍艦 (gigagunkan), "Giga-Battleship".
And since it isn't a spoiler anymore, I can confirm that Immorta's name is indeed derived from 妹 (imouto), meaning "little sister".

Also, fun little fact about the last mission in 006-B: you don't actually need to grab the handles at all, you can just pull out a really big hammer and it'll completely negate the wind effect.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Omobono posted:

Unsolved questions: why the hell do we have the same tech as the Rhulloans? Is Shirogane from Rhullo, say the court magician scientist? Because you'd think the jerks would start pulling unite morphs if that was common knowledge galactic tech. Maybe the cubes counts for that, though.

Yeah the impression I got is that the Unite Morphs are galactic tech that Earth reverse engineered during the first war and would have presumably been the key part of winning said war. The Cubes are the Jerks version of the Unite Morph tech and Vorkken being a super space pirate has a more advanced version because he can afford it\is high enough ranked to justify it.
The Jerks don't make widespread use of the Unite Morph tech because they're not super big on the whole 'teamwork' thing, instead preferring to use giant robots. They probably sneer at Vorkken behind his back for using such a pathetic and weak power based around teamwork.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Neruz posted:

They probably sneer at Vorkken behind his back for using such a pathetic and weak power based around teamwork.

I dunno, I always thought that Vorkken's Unify tech didn't require teamwork as much since his backstory that Immorta gives makes it sound like he's forcing Chewgi and everyone else to fight for him. They're unifying into big weapons and stuff, but they aren't united like the Wonderful 100. I think that's why earlier Chewgi asks "What are you DOING!?" because the Wonderful 100 sucked at teamwork and should've been able to beat Vorkken easily through proper teamwork.

Also I love that Vorkken's Teio Form poses are literally just the Unlimited Form ones in reverse. THUMBS DOWN :black101:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

HGH posted:

So I'm starting to think this game's main theme is revenge. Y'know, just a little.

Oh, you have no idea.

But yeah, its definitely an overarching theme in the narrative, alongside all the heroism and stuff. Honestly, the sheer variety they have from it lends the whole thing a certain degree of strength, since you get a number of people either driven by revenge or having more than enough reason for it, and how they handle it shows the kind of person they are. It also makes it really easy for the game to set up a narrative arc around each, which helps a bunch.

chumbler posted:

Wonder Red may be Superman with an actual personality, interesting traits, and weaknesses, and he might have the righteous, heroic speeches down pat, but this episode just once again shows that Alice and the Virgin Victory are the true heroes in the story.

Superman was actually like that for a while prior to Flashpoint, but unfortunately most of the really good stuff never quite entered into the public consciousness outside of perhaps the generation(s) that watched the DCAU. Really annoying because people think its some cryptic code (even if relatively harder than another angst mobile, I'll admit), but really, Red is actually only the most recent in a (admittedly still kinda short) string of superheroes out of Japan who just get this right over the last few years. Wonder if Kamiya had been watching Samurai Flamenco or Tiger and Bunny when he was coming up with the script.

Also yes Alice owns bones. And given a certain blog entry Platinum Games recently put up, it only gets better.

On another point, there's actually a bit of a funny error during the scene where Immorta chews into Vorkken. She's meant to be battle damaged, like the rest of the team, but her portrait is her 'clean' version. It seems like an odd thing to have missed, given they replaced all the others just fine.

Also I just love Gimme's design. Its an odd mix of the Flatwoods Monster, Darth Vader, and Fu Manchu - except his moustache goes upward and glows. He really carries the look of being a main villain, and the fact he goes flying around in a Star Destroyer just adds to it.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Dammit when do we get a Tiger & Bunny game? I want to manage my personal brand by saving civilians and minimizing fees for collateral damage.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

General Ironicus posted:

Dammit when do we get a Tiger & Bunny game? I want to manage my personal brand by saving civilians and minimizing fees for collateral damage.

I am immensely sad this doesn't exist already, and that we live in a world where it might never exist.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

General Ironicus posted:

Wasn't there some ridiculous giant robot game for the PS2 with collateral damage penalties? RAD: Robot Alchemic Drive, I think?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It was less penalties and more various cash rewards for keeping different parts of the city intact (plus a bonus for having only extremely minor damage overall like a building or two).

Also taking a closer look at Gimme, does he have some weird lisp to his mouth or something?

HGH fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 18, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

General Ironicus posted:

It's really nice in the off-season. We review Big Finish audios and make jokes about the Mind Probe. Tis all in good fun, usually.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I like Vorkken's teio-form transformation because there's no way anyone looked at that scene with the rest of the game in context and didn't hope and pray that he does a thumbs down at the wonderful ones :allears:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

General Ironicus posted:

There was one actually. PSP and Japanese exclusive, as anime adaptations are want to do. Mostly an expanded version of the anime from the looks of it, with minimal features to try and keep up your audience rating and points.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

General Ironicus posted:

That sounds pretty fun. Honestly, it's exactly what I'd expect from, say, a Superman game. Controlling a nearly invincible character (who could still be knocked around in fights or killed outright in boss battles) defending the city/civilians, with too much collateral damage being a game over. That'd force you to fight smart and defeat the enemy in the most efficient manner possible instead of just wailing away with moves that would crush them, but do severe damage. It'd take some careful design to keep away from tedium, but it could be good.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
There's also Metal Wolf Chaos, where you're piloting a giant robot and rewarded for collateral damage.

Because you're the President.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Geostomp posted:

That sounds pretty fun. Honestly, it's exactly what I'd expect from, say, a Superman game. Controlling a nearly invincible character (who could still be knocked around in fights or killed outright in boss battles) defending the city/civilians, with too much collateral damage being a game over. That'd force you to fight smart and defeat the enemy in the most efficient manner possible instead of just wailing away with moves that would crush them, but do severe damage. It'd take some careful design to keep away from tedium, but it could be good.

This actually makes a lot of sense in the context of the superhero genre. If you're a (near-) invincible superhero, you don't give a gently caress about your personal safety, you care about the people you're protecting.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kurieg posted:

There's also Metal Wolf Chaos, where you're piloting a giant robot and rewarded for collateral damage.

Because you're the President.

Of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! :911:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Look who's a trophy.

I kinda like them better when they're not incredibly shiny.

Edit: Police detective web designer

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Sade posted:

This actually makes a lot of sense in the context of the superhero genre. If you're a (near-) invincible superhero, you don't give a gently caress about your personal safety, you care about the people you're protecting.

I think there was a Superman game a few years ago where you didn't have a health bar, but the city did. I don't remember if it was any good or not, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Xad posted:

I think there was a Superman game a few years ago where you didn't have a health bar, but the city did. I don't remember if it was any good or not, though.

Superman Returns.

It was not.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Look who's a trophy.

No mention of the Valiantium Blade.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

Look who's a trophy.

Pronoun ambiguity in the third sentence, 0/10. :colbert:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Look who's a trophy.

Agreed. I think you can actually tell what cutscenes probably got a little more focus on them by the texture of the suits and characters in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

beep by grandpa posted:

No mention of the Valiantium Blade.

Game ruined forever.

• Locked thread