Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I like to think that it's actually not all that convenient, and the party is just getting tossed around in there on spin cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Fister Roboto posted:

I like to think that it's actually not all that convenient, and the party is just getting tossed around in there on spin cycle.

Art please.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'd be interested to hear more about this idea of changing targets in the middle of the action queue, Fedule. What kind of UI do you suggest? It can't be on the left stick, because you'd have to take your thumb off the D-pad, so do L2 and R2 cycle through the available targets? Or should it be that the skill menu turns back into the target menu as long as you have a certain button held down?

There's also a harder problem: what about the AI? It would be fine when you're controlling a Medic or Synergist, but what about the other roles? Because your party doesn't necessarily act in sync with you, the AI would have try to guess whether you wanted it to stick to your initial target or change targets with you. How does it tell what you want? And if it switches, does it switch as soon your input changes targets, or does it wait until you're actually carrying out your attacks?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Do enemy levels mean anything?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Enemy level determines whether or not Random: Instant Chain works (Less than L50 means it does) and how much TP they give you when you kill them.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
It's pretty fun to watch you guys rag on this game. Watching the cutscenes reinforces my dislike of every character besides Sazh and Hope.

I will admit, though, FF13 is actually one of the best RPG speedruns out there. This game is built all around going loving fast, and doing so requires a good amount of routing and skill.

...man, it's sort of a backhanded compliment to say that this game becomes way better if you go out of your way to make it as fast as possible :v:

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 10, 2014

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Artix posted:

Enemy level determines whether or not Random: Instant Chain works (Less than L50 means it does) and how much TP they give you when you kill them.

It also does something to target time, higher level = longer par time IIRC.

Mountain Dew Code Bread
Mar 20, 2008

Gamma Nerd posted:

It's pretty fun to watch you guys rag on this game. Watching the cutscenes reinforces my dislike of every character besides Sazh and Hope.

I will admit, though, FF13 is actually one of the best RPG speedruns out there (watch the WR to see how it's possible to shred bosses while avoiding most encounters - see Barty going down in 3 minutes and change). This game is built all around going loving fast, and doing so requires a good amount of routing and skill.

...man, it's sort of a backhanded compliment to say that this game becomes way better if you go out of your way to make it as fast as possible :v:

This guy's right, FF13 speedruns are pretty rad.

Generally, you guys would do so much better if you would just stop using synergists as much and just use saboteurs(they increase the stagger gauge like ravagers and have it stick like commandos) instead of ravagers to build the stagger gauge. Also, and I understand that you're doing it for the LP, using libra on every enemy seems really unnecessary to me. I'd rather have a rough first fight against an enemy type and save that TP for an emergency summon or renew later on.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Hey, speedruns are cool poo poo and fun to watch, I totally agree. But maybe you shouldn't just throw it out there like that considering that we still have a decent chunk of the game left to play, especially since since chunk is the endgame. :)

Consist posted:

Generally, you guys would do so much better if you would just stop using synergists as much and just use saboteurs(they increase the stagger gauge like ravagers and have it stick like commandos) instead of ravagers to build the stagger gauge. Also, and I understand that you're doing it for the LP, using libra on every enemy seems really unnecessary to me. I'd rather have a rough first fight against an enemy type and save that TP for an emergency summon or renew later on.

I never claimed to be good at this game. :v: That said, my strategy at any given time depends a lot on my party, and right now I have a mediocre saboteur (who has to pull double-duty as my sentinel), a good synergist who doesn't have the defensive buffs yet, and the worst of the natural medics. I'm not saying my strategies are perfect or anything because I'm sure you could exploit my team better but I tend to err on the side of playing things safe and if that means taking an extra ten seconds to make sure everyone has Bravery and Faith up before going on the offense, or spending a little extra time in Protection or Solidarity then so be it.

Artix fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 9, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I find in general that the best way to deal with battles is to start off with SYN/COM/COM, put haste and an en-element spell on everyone, and then switch to COM/COM/COM and go to town. Almost everything with a weakness melts, maybe even before you finish buffing.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Artix posted:

Hey, speedruns are cool poo poo and fun to watch, I totally agree. But maybe you shouldn't just throw it out there like that considering that we still have a decent chunk of the game left to play, especially since since chunk is the endgame. :)

Yeah, I probably should have noted that it contains spoilers, but I'd assume people wouldn't click on a full-game speedrun unless they wanted to be spoiled on the last bits :v: Edited it out anyways.

Unusually for an RPG speedrun there's basically no grinding in a FF13 run. I love the hell out of FF12 but it has a solid hour of Dustia and Jelly grinding in the run and it's tedious as hell to watch.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's kind of weird suddenly seeing all this stuff that's a waste of time or impossible to kill dropped in front of you, after hours and hours of linear level-appropriate challenges.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Hey, so while my internet was down over the past day or two I went and recorded everything else in Pulse. All the plot, all the bonus videos, and I even put together a montage of the summons since I basically never use them in-game. Anyway, I also put together this. This is a short 60 FPS recording of the PC version of the game, so I could see whether or not my system could handle both the game and FRAPS at full speed. There are some definitely points of slowdown, but on the whole it actually did a lot better than I expected and if 13-2 is done half as well, I'm going to do the LP for that on PC instead because the PS3 version is having a good day if it hits a constant 25 FPS.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Plus they're fixing the PC version so it'll have variable resolution too, so that's nice.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This loving game and this loving thread. Thank you for all the effort. You saved me from this game.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

This loving game and this loving thread. Thank you for all the effort. You saved me from this game.

I have close to 80 hours on it, and I have had fun. :shrug: I am missing most of the optional trophies and have the last 2-3 Cie'th stones undone, too, but that's probably not wholly unrelated.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 14, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 38: Who the gently caress is Taejin? (Polsy) :siren:

Music

Taejin's Tower

Bestiary

Datalogs

quote:

Speaking With Serah

When Vanille awoke from crystal stasis, she sought to deny her Focus — Cocoon's doom — by lying that she, like Fang, had lost her memory. But instead of preventing a catastrophe, she only spurred her friend into reckless action.

Desperate to prevent Vanille from becoming a Cie'th, Fang suggested they attack a Sanctum fal'Cie to kick-start their memories, and the tragic incident at Euride Gorge was the result.

Separated from her friend after their escape, Vanille drifted aimlessly until she happened upon Serah.

Though Snow's fiancée thought the meeting was their first, Vanille knew exactly who Serah was. She was the girl who had wandered into the Bodhum Vestige only to be turned into a l'Cie—a replacement for the Gran Pulsians who had seemingly abandoned their Focus.

Feeling crushed by guilt and cruel fate, Vanille would have given up there and then had it not been for Serah's advice that if things seem too much to deal with, you should face them later. If you can just survive, there's always hope that you can overcome your problems. That hope is what has kept Vanille going until now.

When she describes this touching interlude to Snow, the kind-hearted hero renews his promise to fulfill his beloved Serah's wish. And Lightning, her anger now a distant memory, means to help him to do it.

quote:

Locales: Taejin's Tower

This towering spire was built by the fal'Cie in ages past. While the original purpose of the structure is unclear, its original height suggests that the mighty beings sought to pierce even the heavens in their insatiable quest for expansion.

No matter the reason for its construction, the tower now lies in ruin, its great spine snapped, and its crumbling interior serving as a lair for the fal'Cie Dahaka.

Artix fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 14, 2015

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
I have a dumb question that the game probably provided a batshit insane answer to, why do the online shopping terminals from Cocoon exist and more importantly function on Pulse?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

theblastizard posted:

I have a dumb question that the game probably provided a batshit insane answer to, why do the online shopping terminals from Cocoon exist and more importantly function on Pulse?

I'm told that the game actually provides an explanation if you look at the shop descriptions while on Pulse, that they're all actually placed there by Barthandelus and exist for your benefit. Can somebody show this?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Man, I don't remember a single enemy in this game other than the giant turtles. Why are they all so grey and unremarkable?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

theblastizard posted:

bewilderment posted:

I'm told that the game actually provides an explanation if you look at the shop descriptions while on Pulse, that they're all actually placed there by Barthandelus and exist for your benefit. Can somebody show this?

For reference, the other shop descriptions are as follows:

Unicorn Mart - Reliable service from a name you can trust. At Unicorn Mart, your health is our business! Our expert pharmacists are standing by, day and night, to send you whatever you need, wherever you need it.

Up in Arms - If history has taught us anything, it's that everyone dies eventually - but at Up In Arms, we help you to ensure your enemies do so as soon as possible. From classic pieces to cutting-edge upgrades, we've got it all! Edged weapons and Up in Firearms gun selections fully Sanctum approved.

Plautus's Workshop - Brute force may win the easy battles, but readiness wins them all. Our master craftsmen produce only the finest in specialized weaponry, granting you the edge that separates the best from the rest (in peace). Discerning customers agree: if you want quality, you want Plautus.

B&W Outfitters - City life getting you down? Answer the call of the wild! With B&W gear to protect you, a trek through the lowlands is a walk in the park. Why not leave the hustle and bustle behind, and return to nature? It could be just eh vacation your soul needs!

Magical Moments - "An enchanting charm, to protect that special someone..." Heirloom-quality luxuries, steeped in the powers of antiquity. All accessories legally crafted and certified free of l'Cie magics.

Moogleworks - Greeting, Kupoteers! At Moogleworks,you'll find accessories the likes of which you've never imaged. What you do with them - well, that's something your imagination can help you with, kupo!

Creature Comforts - If it bleeds, you can kill it. If you can kill it, we most likely carry it! Freshly harvested scientific specimens, bushmeat, and organic materials. When you can't wait for nature to take its course, set course for Creature Comforts!

The Motherlode - Celebrating 120 years of mineralogical excellence, made possible by the faithful patronage of our distinguished customers. When it comes to stones and metallurgy, Motherlode knows best!

Lenora's Garage - Scrap parts - you name em' we've got 'em! *n00b manuals not included* With bargains like these, shops IRL are no match for Lenora's!

R&D Depot - An experimental military research facility specializing in arms manufacture and bioweapons development. Seize the means to fulfill your focus, l'Cie. Fal'Cie power will see it delivered unto you.

Artix fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 17, 2014

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Kajeesus posted:

Man, I don't remember a single enemy in this game other than the giant turtles. Why are they all so grey and unremarkable?

Most of the ones that would be memorable are so overdesigned they loop right back to being forgettable. Too many distinguishing features kind of misses the point of having a distinguishing feature.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I get the idea behind the dynamic dialogue, and it is better than silent mute party members, but I just saw:

Lightning: Careful.
20 meters later
Lightning: There's such a thing as being too careful.

:allears:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

BioMe posted:

Most of the ones that would be memorable are so overdesigned they loop right back to being forgettable. Too many distinguishing features kind of misses the point of having a distinguishing feature.

Yeah, everything in FF13 is super visually overdesigned, with a few notable exceptions. One of those is the Cie'th - people pointed out the screaming mouth and inverted hands on Geiseric's design. A lot of Cie'th have small touches like that which reinforce the idea of twisted hgumans in eternal torment.

Another example of FF13's visual design being great is something we will be getting to very, very soon.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

To answer what was being discussed in the video, if you go straight to the mining tunnels at the start of the chapter, without any grinding or sidequests, the first big hurdle is going to be the big ol' boxbot that completely blocks the path.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Yeah I remember this tower being the point where I stopped playing the game, because I hadn't done any hunts and I didn't understand the combat system well enough and the game just kicked my rear end repeatedly. So everything from here on is new to me! :confuoot:

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014

Artix posted:

There are some definitely points of slowdown, but on the whole it actually did a lot better than I expected and if 13-2 is done half as well, I'm going to do the LP for that on PC instead because the PS3 version is having a good day if it hits a constant 25 FPS.

Speaking of 13-2, it's up for pre-order now. It's promising multiple resolutions, graphics options and "a range" of the DLC. Exactly what options and DLC are being included is still unknown. Not that graphics options would really help with the FPS issues a lot of people have with the XIII port since the real problem seems to be that it constantly checks for a console controller if one isn't plugged into the PC.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Carlioo posted:

Yeah I remember this tower being the point where I stopped playing the game, because I hadn't done any hunts and I didn't understand the combat system well enough and the game just kicked my rear end repeatedly. So everything from here on is new to me! :confuoot:

It's funny i remember an interminable tower being the place where I quit on ffxii too. I think I was pretty closely wedded to a walkthrough at this point so I did ok, but yeah. Imagine if Artix didn't cut out the hours of trash fights too...

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Spielmeister posted:

Speaking of 13-2, it's up for pre-order now. It's promising multiple resolutions, graphics options and "a range" of the DLC. Exactly what options and DLC are being included is still unknown. Not that graphics options would really help with the FPS issues a lot of people have with the XIII port since the real problem seems to be that it constantly checks for a console controller if one isn't plugged into the PC.

I recommend buying Valkyria Chronicles instead.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I recommend buying Valkyria Chronicles instead.

I concur, please take the money you would have given Square for 13-2 and instead give it to Sega for their much better game. That's not your burden to bear. :negative:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It's funny i remember an interminable tower being the place where I quit on ffxii too. I think I was pretty closely wedded to a walkthrough at this point so I did ok, but yeah. Imagine if Artix didn't cut out the hours of trash fights too...

The Pharos is basically the end of FF12 so you picked a really lovely place to quit :v:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

The Pharos is basically the end of FF12 so you picked a really lovely place to quit :v:

I like FFXII, but the Pharos ranks low on my end-game dungeons (because the Bahamut doesn't count). I can understand quitting in the middle of it.

Gamma Nerd posted:

The warp puzzle on the Third Ascent is a total dick move, and killing Brainpans is tedious as hell, but the scenes and bosses at the top are probably some of my favorite in any video game, so I'm willing to deal with a bit of a slog to get to them. I can't hate a dungeon with a Doctor Cid fight in it.

I like them too, but if you're getting frustrated in the lower Pharos, it's not like you know you have that to look forward to.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 18, 2014

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
The warp puzzle on the Third Ascent is a total dick move, and killing Brainpans is tedious as hell, but the scenes and bosses at the top are probably some of my favorite in any video game, so I'm willing to deal with a bit of a slog to get to them. I can't hate a dungeon with a Doctor Cid fight in it.

^^ Good point. It's definitely poor design to give the unwitting player the impression that they're going to be climbing the tower for hours and hours more than they actually are.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 18, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Artix posted:

I concur, please take the money you would have given Square for 13-2 and instead give it to Sega for their much better game. That's not your burden to bear. :negative:

But holy poo poo is Valkyria Chronicles anime.
More anime than 13-2.

Literally Girls Und Panzer levels of anime.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

good because Girls Und Panzers owns

also if we are recommending PC jrpgs to buy instead of XIII-2 I recommend Trails in the Sky

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

More anime than 13-2.

It's not that bad when you realize it's basically Japanese GI Joe.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Taejin's Tower is pretty interesting to me because it has the trappings of actually-a-dungeon, as in, something that could easily be cool and fun. FF dungeons rarely have difficult gimmicks or tough puzzles like, say, a Zelda dungeon would have, but that is fine - push switch to move awesome contraption is all there really needs to be, for everything else you have random encounters, visuals and music. Sometimes, a dungeon exceeds that like the only two good parts of FF8 (Dollet at the very start and Ultimecia's castle at the very end) which are varied, do something new and clever in both cases, make you think but not in a frustrating way and offer a fuckton of solutions. But we don't need that in FF13. We also don't need a dungeon like the Magnetic Cave of FF4 infame, with an overbearing dungeon gimmick that is just unfun.
What Taejin could have been is push switch (kill monster), move awesome contraption (elevator), ascend, fight, slowly assemble the giant elevator and at the end you get an awesome conclusion (you could guess from the video but it actually is pretty cool so I'm not going to spell it out). And wouldn't you know? The way the Tower looks (broken off top half lying there) pays off in a hilarious way that actually makes total sense!

Sadly, the FF13 designers have no idea of what fun is so the one time you get a dungeon worth the name, it is a terrible backtrack-fest with the gimmick of "fights", woo. Please don't bring up the Waterscape with the weather changing gimmick, that was just embarrassing.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Update 39: Taejin Our Time (Polsy) :siren:

Bestiary

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

More anime than 13-2.

Wait. Are we talking VC 1 or VC 2?

Because VC 1 is pretty anime, don't get me wrong. But compared to Valkyria Chronicles 2, it's Fury and Band of Brothers rolled into one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So at what point are you going to switch to a new party configuration? I think we've seen pretty much everything this current one has to offer by now.

• Locked thread