Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I spent ages trying to figure out what the hell I was supposed to do with that statue. It's just decoration? Argh.

Well it wouldn't do anything while you were looking at it, would it?

Also looks like I'm going to have to buy yet another Lego game. They're all basically the same but they're just so charming and fun. I guess it would be a licensing nightmare, but some kind of Marvel/DC crossover game would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I spent ages trying to figure out what the hell I was supposed to do with that statue. It's just decoration? Argh.

Does t move when you turn your back to it?

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Lego Batman 3 has been the most phoned in one yet. I don't recommend it to people.

Barely out of story mode and we've encountered a bug that means we can't 100% it, so there's no point playing it beyond story mode.

Edit: PS3 version. Can't complete the first Aquaman quest on the watchtower.

Digital War fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 18, 2014

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Noticed this: http://brickset.com/sets/31036-1/Toy-and-Grocery-Shop

New kit that uses Sand Green. Hard to tell which pieces, looks like mostly 1x2s and not too many of them but hopefully it'll make bricklinking a Green Grocer at least a little more affordable.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Too bad it's a $70 set.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
So I just rekindled an interest in Lego, not least from seeing the amazing Lego birds that will go into production in the future, and now really want to start building things, getting discouraged by how bad they are, and giving up. Only problem is that any Legos I had back in the day are all back home, where I don't live anymore. Is there any good "starter" set that has a lot of different colors and sizes of bricks for experimenting with? And not too pricy though, as I'm a starving grad student. :( Other sets can be added on later if I get into the spirit of things.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tardigrade posted:

Is there any good "starter" set that has a lot of different colors and sizes of bricks for experimenting with?

The Creator theme is a good source for general use bricks, and lots of price points.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Creator-ByTheme

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
They also sell plain assortments of bricks that give you more variety and bang for your buck than pretty much any model set, if you're just looking for a pile of bricks to experiment with. The downside is that you don't get the specialized pieces that you'd be getting with a model. EDIT: Although actually now that I'm looking at it the parts list on that suitcase is actually pretty nice. There's often some decent Black Friday/Christmas sales to be found on basic brick collections, definitely worth keeping an eye peeled for.

Honestly though I'd strongly recommend just hitting up Craigslist, you can buy a big box with several used sets mixed together for the price of a single new set a fraction of the size.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 18, 2014

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Does anyone know anything about the Event at Toysrus is having?

http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.j...93-0f7ad86a56dd

Saturday, November 22, 12pm-4pm
Come and build an amazing winter city scene with LEGO® bricks and more!*

*Event intended for children, ages 3-up. Parental supervision required at all times. All giveaways and event materials distributed to participating children only. Limit one per child. Quantities limited; no rain checks.

I'm not really sure what this entails. Usually the toysrus giveaways are for 5 and up, and usually they tell you what it is they are giving away. I'd almost think it wasn't even a real giveaway, and that they would just have a big box of winter city lego's for kids to build with, and by giveaway they mean take home a poster or stickers or something?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Rathina posted:

Does anyone know anything about the Event at Toysrus is having?

http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.j...93-0f7ad86a56dd

Saturday, November 22, 12pm-4pm
Come and build an amazing winter city scene with LEGO® bricks and more!*

*Event intended for children, ages 3-up. Parental supervision required at all times. All giveaways and event materials distributed to participating children only. Limit one per child. Quantities limited; no rain checks.

I'm not really sure what this entails. Usually the toysrus giveaways are for 5 and up, and usually they tell you what it is they are giving away. I'd almost think it wasn't even a real giveaway, and that they would just have a big box of winter city lego's for kids to build with, and by giveaway they mean take home a poster or stickers or something?

I took my son to one back when the Lego movie came out. They had them build Emmet's car and once you were done you got to keep it and it had the same language. Obviously this one might be different but it does say quantities limited and one per child so who knows.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Some stuff on Simpsons Series 2, not much but a few prototype pics. Come on Comic Book Guy and Hank Scorpio.

http://www.bricksandbloks.com/2015-lego-simpsons-minifigures-series-2-71009-confirmed/

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
I'm pretty disappointed with the black Friday deal this year. It's been a yearly pilgrimage for my friends and I the past years, buying some stuff, hoping for a good coupon (we got a 20% off one year and the clerk let us grab a Death Star each which was amazing of him) spending $100 for the brick box, and then inevitably going back and spending another $100. The 1st holiday set was great, but the second is nowhere near as great and doesn't even fit with the main winter set.

I'll still be there again this year, but there is significantly less of an incentive. I'm not really upset about the financial incentives, but it felt like this was a way Lego said "thanks" to big shoppers and AFOLs, if that makes sense.

Sorry for the rant. New modular looks amazing, despite Brickset nerds hating on it for some odd reason. If you want to be abreast of Lego leaks BTW, check out the Slovenes, who were the Lego group to post the new modular. On Facebook they are Kocke (brick in Slovene) Club. Friendly guys.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Does anyone else have the UCS Millennium Falcon original instruction?

I have finally gotten around to building this thing, and my page 75 of the instruction is completely blank/white. The other side of the same sheet is just fine, as is the prior page.
I have googled this and get nothing, so it doesn't seem like a very common problem. (Page 75 is the one where you attach the 7 stands/feet to the underside of the ship)
Anyone heard of or experienced this?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Did you try going here and typing in the set number?

http://service.lego.com/en-us/buildinginstructions/

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Ha, my copy was missing one page and had the next repeated twice. As posted above, their website has an electronic copy of it, at least it did when I built it ~6 years ago.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Yeah the official website has downloadable instructions for every set from 2001 onwards, I think.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah, i know they have the instructions as PDFs, my question was more regarding what had happened and if anyone else had experience with this. Lego is known for their rigid quality control and tolerances, the fact that anything is wrong with one of their products is something i have never experienced.
It is easier for me to see how for example an entire sheet could be missing, but it is pretty strange that 1 side of a sheet is completely white, whereas the other side of the same sheet is printed normally. Also, when flicking through the rest of the instructions another page is black&white and pink, all the colors have been replaced by pink.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Ineptitude posted:

Yeah, i know they have the instructions as PDFs, my question was more regarding what had happened and if anyone else had experience with this. Lego is known for their rigid quality control and tolerances, the fact that anything is wrong with one of their products is something i have never experienced.
It is easier for me to see how for example an entire sheet could be missing, but it is pretty strange that 1 side of a sheet is completely white, whereas the other side of the same sheet is printed normally. Also, when flicking through the rest of the instructions another page is black&white and pink, all the colors have been replaced by pink.

The white page and the pink page wouldn't happen to be opposite of one another, would they? That sounds like that one page didn't make it through all the rollers correctly, and instead of CMYK they only got the MK on the one, and missed the entire set on the other. Instructions are the one place I've seen lego be less than 100% perfect, and even still it's like 99%. But I'd rather they have 100% quality control on the bricks and know that even if i dont get an instruction manual at all, i still have more lego to build things with is worth it, then 99.5% on the bricks and 99.5% on the manual. No company can have 100%, and i'd rather they gently caress up on the instructions.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Ineptitude posted:

Somebody ran out of cyan and yellow! I've worked in printing, and when you're running thousands of booklets through increasingly automated equipment, it's easy for things like this to slip by even the best QC processes. It depends on the human eye catching one bad page out of a 24 page booklet out of a run of 5,000... They probably noticed the problem not long after that and just didn't go back far enough in the run to catch any bad prints, or that one had already been boxed up, etc. You see weird stuff in newspapers all the time like when the ink starts fading, the registration is way off, pages aren't cut evenly, I've even seen entire blank pages. When you're paying 75 cents for something printed every day, they can't afford to have someone at the print shop read every single newspaper before it's delivered to you.

The Lego brick quality assurance process, on the other hand, relies on automatic weighing of pieces and sets to ensure proper quantities of everything.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone know if there are going to be any Black Friday deals?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

obi_ant posted:

Anyone know if there are going to be any Black Friday deals?

Target's going to have like 5 sets for 40% off. TRU's doing 50% off of Galaxy Squad and $20 off Castle Dragon Mountain and City Heavy-Duty Helicopter (TRU's starts Thursday at 5pm). Fred Meyer has 20% off some Juniors tubs and a Duplo tub. Lego stores are apparently not doing the free pick-a-brick box this year.

If I could be bothered to go to TRU on Thursday, I'd buy a bunch of whatever's left of their Galaxy Squad stock, but otherwise it's pretty sad Lego BF deals this year.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Pyroclastic posted:

Target's going to have like 5 sets for 40% off. TRU's doing 50% off of Galaxy Squad and $20 off Castle Dragon Mountain and City Heavy-Duty Helicopter (TRU's starts Thursday at 5pm). Fred Meyer has 20% off some Juniors tubs and a Duplo tub. Lego stores are apparently not doing the free pick-a-brick box this year.

If I could be bothered to go to TRU on Thursday, I'd buy a bunch of whatever's left of their Galaxy Squad stock, but otherwise it's pretty sad Lego BF deals this year.

TRU jacks up their prices during any 50% off that it is really more like 10-20% off FYI.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The new modular's been announced, officially this time. There's a bunch of really detailed interior pictures here.

e: the Wanted sign describes the subject as having black eyes, 42 mm tall, weighing 3.4 grams.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
That 'Pool' sign is awesome. Not a big fan of the blue building's color, but it seems to look better in the video.

I'm so getting it though, the details are loving great.

edit: an actual mirror, holy shitballs

uXs fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 22, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there a list of parts that only ever existed in a single set, or parts that only came in one set in a particular color? The one I can think of right off the top of my head is the Bohrok Eyepiece in purple, which came only in those silly robo-spy things that were far too expensive.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I found this online but it is too awesome not to share. As one of the older lurkers/posters in this thread, I might have actually seen this at one point. I know I got a letter from Susan at Lego when I was a kid :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there a list of parts that only ever existed in a single set, or parts that only came in one set in a particular color? The one I can think of right off the top of my head is the Bohrok Eyepiece in purple, which came only in those silly robo-spy things that were far too expensive.

I wonder if BrickLink has that feature, or could be used to compile a list.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Peeron has some reports.
Bricklink also has some stats you can run on its catalog.

Though you may have to download a catalog and run some filters of your own to get the actual info you want.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So I found a Pyjamas Emmet in a box of polybags today at TRU. I took him to the counter to ring up, he wasn't on the system, so the cashier let me have him for free! Score!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Krazyface posted:

The new modular's been announced, officially this time. There's a bunch of really detailed interior pictures here.

e: the Wanted sign describes the subject as having black eyes, 42 mm tall, weighing 3.4 grams.

Counterfeit cinnamon rolls?!

Those bastards stepped way out of line. Get Brick Bricksley, PI on the horn right now, dammit!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Sockser posted:

Counterfeit cinnamon rolls?!

Those bastards stepped way out of line. Get Brick Bricksley, PI on the horn right now, dammit!

Bricksley's dead, ya mug. Ace Brickman's the Shamus you're after.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Ausgoons, Target has 20% off all lego kits in their christmas sales; I didn't catch when they started but keep an eye on it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

kensei posted:

I found this online but it is too awesome not to share. As one of the older lurkers/posters in this thread, I might have actually seen this at one point. I know I got a letter from Susan at Lego when I was a kid :)

There was a discussion about gender roles being reinforced by toys in the images thread in D&D.* I hope you don't mind me reposting this there.

*The discussion started about women in science and then moved on, here is a link to the first post specifically about legos.

deoju fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 24, 2014

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Are there any good shadowboxes for displaying minifigs? I'd like to get my collection off my shelves and onto my walls.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Cloks posted:

Are there any good shadowboxes for displaying minifigs? I'd like to get my collection off my shelves and onto my walls.

Build your own :)

This guy has an awesome idea and I'm almost regretting building the ones I did after seeing these.

http://mybrickstore.blogspot.com/2013_02_01_archive.html

Scroll about halfway down the page to see what he did with some ikea frames.

These are what I made for mine.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 24, 2014

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Hey guys! I literally just rediscovered LEGO after getting the need to build MOCs. I have several garbage bags filled with bricks and Bionicle pieces from when I was younger, so there's plenty of stuff to pile through. To set things off, here's a penguin I just finished. Some of the colors and pieces are off because I couldn't find the right ones, but oh well.

Onto my question: I really want to build mechs (preferably posable), but I'm having a bit of a hard time getting started. I can make out some details, but I'm mostly clueless as to how they're assembled, or how I could come up with my own designs. Is there a resource that discusses building techniques?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Welcome out of your dark ages :)

Theres the Official set recently released that can get your imagination going.
There should also be models like that over at https://www.rebrickable.com

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

horriblePencilist posted:

Onto my question: I really want to build mechs (preferably posable), but I'm having a bit of a hard time getting started. I can make out some details, but I'm mostly clueless as to how they're assembled, or how I could come up with my own designs. Is there a resource that discusses building techniques?

You picked a good time to get back into it, because lego has cranked out several very good mechs in the last year. The exo suit (set 21109) and the movie mechs (70813, 70807 and 70814) are very good to analyze.. get the instructions online and get a feel for how they come together (or even better, buy the sets because more lego is always good)

Most of them are built around ball and socket joints, using parts 57909b and 92013.

There are certainly variants out there, including classic hinge pieces, but I think the ball and socket rigs build the most durable and easy-to-pose models.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

horriblePencilist posted:

It might be worth checking out some Mixels, a lot of them are very mech-like and a lot of the same design principles apply: http://brickset.com/sets/year-2014/theme-Mixels. I mean yeah, they're weird little beasts with googly eyes, but their designs, especially legs, feet and hip joints, use lots of neat little tricks. I guess the main difference is they don't have any kind of knee articulation.

Mark Stafford has been The Lego Group's go-to Mech Guy for a while so some of his stuff is probably worth checking out: http://brickset.com/sets/list-5289 , there's plenty on his MOC pages too: http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/4516

I think someone in this thread makes or used to make some cool little mini-mechs as well, but I can't remember who because I have a terrible memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Thanks for the tips! Yeah, I think I stopped before ball joint pieces were common. Luckily, my brother got several sets that have the clicking ones, so that should be good. I really wish I could find the single balls though... That would be useful.