Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

Depends if you believe he genuinely wants this investigated, or if he's stalling until the focus is off and the whole investigation can be watered down. He has a political establishment to look out for, after all

I'd say that's failing because had the first choice been less immediately compromised then there wouldn't have been anywhere near as much scrutiny of Woolf, which will in turn lead to even more intense scrutiny of the next choice, and might even lead to the doomsday scenario (for some people) of a genuinely independent inquiry headed by someone with no levers that the Establishment can pull.

It doesn't even work as a way of taking the heat out of the story because it'll take months - or maybe years - just to get all the preparatory work done in which time there really wouldn't have been much to report on and the story would have dropped out of the headlines of it's own accord. Instead the story keeps shooting back up the order and people are maybe starting to realise just how incestuous (figuratively and possibly literally) the ruling class of the country are.

However, if they were maybe trying to delay the start of the actual hearings (which even though they'll almost certainly be held in camera for obvious reasons, are still sure to have some juicy details for the press to pick over) until after the election...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Interesting the Mazher Mahmood Panorama that was on in 15 minutes was suddenly pulled from the schedule 15 minutes ago, even after earlier court action by him was rejected. No-one seems to know why. Instead I guess you can all read the recent posts we've made about him on Bellingcat
Murdoch’s Corporate Governance: The Problem with Mazher Mahmood for Rebekah Brooks, Andy Coulson, & Victoria Newton
Mazher Mahmood, Murdoch, and the NCA
Did Mazher Mahmood mislead Leveson about the Dark Arts of his Past?
News Corp Legal Fees: Why is Murdoch Happy to Pay Mazher Mahmood’s Fees – But Not Andy Coulson’s?
Mazher Mahmood and the Met – Too Close for Comfort?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
There was talk of that happening a few days ago. Are you saying his injunction failed but it still got pulled?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

thehustler posted:

There was talk of that happening a few days ago. Are you saying his injunction failed but it still got pulled?

Yep, no-one knows why at the moment.

[edit] Turns out it was legal shenanigans

quote:

The BBC had intended to broadcast Panorama, Fake Sheikh: Exposed tonight following the Court of Appeal’s decision earlier today to allow the BBC to broadcast images of Mazher Mahmood. Shortly before transmission Mr Mahmood’s lawyers submitted new information relating to one of the cases in the programme which, as a responsible broadcaster, the BBC needs to evaluate

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 10, 2014

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Yep, no-one knows why at the moment.

[edit] Turns out it was legal shenanigans

Is there anything stopping them pulling this little stunt every time the episode might be broadcast? "Oh, we've got a bit more information this week, don't broadcast."

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Not really, if BBC legal have sorted their poo poo out they'll have outlined Panorama's accusations in a letter to his lawyers (at an extremely heavy push shown them the programme) and next time barring an injunction can go "nope you had right of reply so gently caress off and see you in court."

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
And Piers Morgan is engaging in a battle of wits with Ta-Nehisi Coates on twitter.

I'd make a wiseass comment but... well, really, not necessary.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Warcabbit posted:

And Piers Morgan is engaging in a battle of wits with Ta-Nehisi Coates on twitter.

I'd make a wiseass comment but... well, really, not necessary.

I have a feeling Piers is going to lose that battle.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Not really, if BBC legal have sorted their poo poo out they'll have outlined Panorama's accusations in a letter to his lawyers (at an extremely heavy push shown them the programme) and next time barring an injunction can go "nope you had right of reply so gently caress off and see you in court."

BBC lawyers are panicky fucks and with good reason after what happened on Panorama last time round :(

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

I am shocked and appalled by them having overlooked my university in this; we would have totally done that and been smug about being on the Daily Mail Sun front page doing offensive poo poo

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Brown Moses posted:

Interesting the Mazher Mahmood Panorama that was on in 15 minutes was suddenly pulled from the schedule 15 minutes ago, even after earlier court action by him was rejected. No-one seems to know why. Instead I guess you can all read the recent posts we've made about him on Bellingcat
Murdoch’s Corporate Governance: The Problem with Mazher Mahmood for Rebekah Brooks, Andy Coulson, & Victoria Newton
Mazher Mahmood, Murdoch, and the NCA
Did Mazher Mahmood mislead Leveson about the Dark Arts of his Past?
News Corp Legal Fees: Why is Murdoch Happy to Pay Mazher Mahmood’s Fees – But Not Andy Coulson’s?
Mazher Mahmood and the Met – Too Close for Comfort?

The episode has been cleared and is on BBC1 tonight at 7:30pm, it's probably gonna be worth a watch. Also thought Bellingcat's article today was pretty funny:

Mazher Mahmood Claims BBC “Irresponsible” – But He Has Collapsed 16 Cases Since July

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012
Mazher Mahmood was linked with Southern Investigations, how much more scummy can one man get?

And how the hell did he get away with admitting to having had "bent coppers" on his payroll under caution?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

HortonNash posted:

And how the hell did he get away with

quote:

"bent coppers" on his payroll

Answered your own question there.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Watching this Fake Sheik show on iPlayer, the most shocking revelation so far is that 17 million people watched London's Burning.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

Watching this Fake Sheik show on iPlayer, the most shocking revelation so far is that 17 million people watched London's Burning.

there were what, four regular tv channels at the time, sky had a relatively low installed user base and there was no streaming.

also it was on a sunday evening? or something? not sure. makes sense when you realise there was basically gently caress all else to watch.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
If it was Sunday evening you should have been watching loving poirot

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Banano posted:

If it was Sunday evening you should have been watching loving poirot
That was on the same channel though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So operation Fairbank (the nonces in Westminster one) are investigating a "possible homicide". I wish I was surprised that our politicians are straight up murdering kids as well as raping them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30052726

quote:

By Tom Symonds

Home Affairs correspondent

Police are investigating "possible homicide" linked to what has been described as a paedophile ring involving powerful people in the 1970s and 1980s.

The group is alleged to have included senior figures in public life, the military, politics and law enforcement.

In a statement Scotland Yard said inquiries were at an early stage.

A key witness who has spoken to police has told the BBC that he was abused for nine years as a boy.

He has appealed for others who may have evidence to come forward.

The Metropolitan Police said detectives were made aware of allegations regarding possible homicide during the last month.

The Met's statement said officers from its child abuse investigation command were working closely with colleagues from the homicide and major crime command.

"At this early stage in this inquiry, with much work still to do, it is not appropriate to issue appeals or reveal more information," the force said.

"We will not be giving a commentary as this inquiry develops, and it is important that officers are allowed to pursue their work without interference.

"We will not comment upon speculation as to the identity of any person or locations that may or may not feature in this inquiry."

'Very powerful people'
Speaking anonymously to the BBC but using the name "Nick", the alleged victim said he had given three days of video-taped evidence to detectives.

His accounts are being assessed as part of Operation Midland, a new Scotland Yard investigation which is under the umbrella of its inquiry into historical abuse, Operation Fairbank.

Nick, now in his 40s, says that he was first abused by his own father before being "handed over" as a young boy to the group.

"They were very powerful people and they controlled my life for the next nine years," Nick added.

"They created fear that penetrated every part of me, day in day out. You didn't question what they wanted, you did as they asked without question and the punishments were very severe."

Nick said the group was "very organised" and would arrange for chauffeur-driven cars to pick up boys, sometimes from school, and drive them to "parties" or "sessions" at locations including hotels and private apartments in London and other cities.

The children were not usually allowed to speak with each other and Nick says he struggled to work out the identities of the abusers. He has given the names of some of those he believes were involved to the police and the BBC.

'No fear'
The BBC has agreed not to reveal any of these names because of the ongoing police investigation and because of the need for further evidence to corroborate his account.

"They had no hesitation in doing what they wanted to do," Nick said. "Some of them were quite open about who they were. They had no fear at all of being caught, it didn't cross their mind."

When a child "stepped out of line", he said that abusers would inflict brutal and painful punishments.

He said: "[The abuse] destroyed my ability to trust. It's pretty much wrecked any relationships I have had. Intimacy for me is a pretty much a no-go area."

Nick said he had one motivation for speaking to the BBC - to encourage other alleged victims or those who unwittingly assisted the abusers to come forward.

"They need to find the strength that we as survivors have done," he said. "People who drove us around could come forward. Staff in some of the locations could come forward. There are so many people who must have had suspicions.

"We weren't smuggled in under a blanket through the back door. It was done openly and people must have questioned that and they need to come forward."

Nick says his torment suddenly came to an end when he went to a pre-arranged place to be picked up by a driver and no-one arrived.

He went the next day, worried that he would be punished for a diary mistake. Again there was no car waiting. He never saw his abusers again and says he still has no idea why.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

marktheando posted:

So operation Fairbank (the nonces in Westminster one) are investigating a "possible homicide". I wish I was surprised that our politicians are straight up murdering kids as well as raping them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30052726

Exaro News has been digging into this a lot, they found Nick and gave him the support to speak up. Credit where credit is due.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Might not have been a kid in the homicide case, could've been an adult who was close to revealing what was going on, as seems to have been the case with Daniel Morgan's murder (although he was finding out about different things).

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
well there have been all sorts of rumours flying around about the Haut De La Garenne children home, murders and the like involving politicians. wonder if it's connected to that.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

JFairfax posted:

well there have been all sorts of rumours flying around about the Haut De La Garenne children home, murders and the like involving politicians. wonder if it's connected to that.

The one I heard was that kids from the home would go out on Ted Heath's yacht, and never return.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Stottie Kyek posted:

Might not have been a kid in the homicide case, could've been an adult who was close to revealing what was going on, as seems to have been the case with Daniel Morgan's murder (although he was finding out about different things).

Couldn't it be looking into the death in 1990 of the housekeeper, who apparently died of a self-inflicted "insulin overdose"?

The Independent on Sunday posted:

In 1990, at the age of 47, Kasir [the Elm Guest House housekeeper] was found dead in her flat. The coroner's inquest concluded that, a diabetic, she had suffered an insulin overdose. Two Naypic [National Association for Young People in Care] employees told the coroner they believed that because she seemingly had not had an insulin injection for three days, she had been murdered, the victim of powerful people who feared she knew too much. Nonetheless, she was found to have committed suicide, worn down by an eight-year battle to have her son, who was taken into care after her conviction, returned to her.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JFairfax posted:

The problem is there's so much :tinfoil: poo poo been spouted about that place (Satanic rituals in a basement the place didn't even have, that sort of thing) that when you do get the occasional overlap into verifiable facts (both Jimmy Saville and Wilfred Brambell are known to have visited the place, and accusations of abuse by both of children at the home exist) it makes it really hard to unpick.

David Icke's mob have linked Ted Heath to the Jersey case pretty much from the moment the first allegations came up in the mid-naughties- tellingly, never anything about the place before - but there's not even the tiniest shred of proof of any kind of link. As I've said before, unlike, say, Saville or Cyril Smith, nobody has ever come forward claiming to be a victim of Heath.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(both Jimmy Saville and Wilfred Brambell are known to have visited the place, and accusations of abuse by both of children at the home exist)

The papers said that a child from that home was brought to see Brambell as a "treat". He then said Brambell abused him backstage. Where does it say he visited the place?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Plavski posted:

The papers said that a child from that home was brought to see Brambell as a "treat". He then said Brambell abused him backstage. Where does it say he visited the place?

I'm sure I recall reading that there were pictures of him there but I may have him confused with Saville.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/nov/19/father-police-covered-up-sons-murder-westminster-paedophile-ring

I wonder if this is the homicide they're investigating

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Saw this today, it's from July so I must have missed it the first time around. Have to say I always thought that the serbian warlord/disgruntled villains theories that were put forward were so bizarre as to be suspicious in and of themselves. Now we find out she had compiled a paedo dossier and surprise surprise was given the brush off by beeb management.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/490169/Dando-alarm-paedophile-ring-BBC

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Banano posted:

Saw this today, it's from July so I must have missed it the first time around. Have to say I always thought that the serbian warlord/disgruntled villains theories that were put forward were so bizarre as to be suspicious in and of themselves. Now we find out she had compiled a paedo dossier and surprise surprise was given the brush off by beeb management.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/490169/Dando-alarm-paedophile-ring-BBC

It's the Express. You've seen their Diana coverage, right? Let's wait for a sane source to pick this one up.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Saw this article pop up in the Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2846700/Theresa-warns-worse-come-Westminster-child-abuse-claims.html

quote:

●Former MPs alleged to have sexually abused children and killed three boys

●Yesterday Mrs May suggested even worse claims could soon follow

●Said she was determined to ensure that the issues were fully investigated

●Police Commissioner insists Scotland Yard is taking claims seriously

●Around 40 detectives are investigating the historic child abuse allegations

Has that episode the BBC pulled recently been put up anywhere us Americans can watch?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I see Andy Coulsen is out early, that's nice isn't it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

ewe2 posted:

I see Andy Coulsen is out early, that's nice isn't it.

You just can't keep a good man down.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Saw this article pop up in the Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2846700/Theresa-warns-worse-come-Westminster-child-abuse-claims.html

Has that episode the BBC pulled recently been put up anywhere us Americans can watch?

If you mean the fake sheikh one, it's on iPlayer, which I assume you can access if you have a vpn such as hola.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

In a a lot of the bribery cases that are on going there are allocations that Mrs Brooks was aware of payments. If these people are found guilty doesn't take also make her guilt by extension? And if so would that be a basis of a retrial?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Rumfitt:"police + prosecution allowed themselves to be spoonfed evidence by mighty multinational [News Int] desperate to save its own skin"

This was a tweet from @lisaocarroll, and I have to agree. I think NI have been very clever in who they have given up. Makes me wonder what they have buried while we have been distracted.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
I'm just gonna go ahead and leave this here without comment:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/dec/18/police-claims-vip-sex-ring-murder-three-boys

quote:

Claims that boys were murdered by VIP sex ring are ‘credible and true’ say police

Scotland Yard has said claims by a witness that a “VIP” sex abuse ring murdered three boys are “credible and true”.

The allegations made by the witness, known by the pseudonym Nick, have triggered a murder investigation.

Police said the alleged abuse by a Westminster-based paedophile ring lasted a decade at locations across London and the Home Counties, including military premises.

Det Supt Kenny McDonald, who is leading the homicide inquiry, told a press conference on Thursday that detectives believed the witness’s claims.

The abuse was said to have taken place from 1975 to 1984, when Nick was aged between seven and 16. Some of the abuse is linked to a flat in Dolphin Square, Pimlico, London, and at times is alleged to have taken place at “parties”. Sometimes it involved groups of men and other times a lone male.

McDonald said detectives who were experienced in child abuse and homicide investigations had interviewed Nick and concluded his account of abuse and the murder of the three boys was true.

Police have yet to recover any bodies and are searching missing persons reports for leads on the identities of the victims. They appealed for witnesses to help them with their inquiries.

McDonald said: “I appeal to men who were subjected to abuse 30 years ago to come forward. We are also investigating the murder of three young boys – we are determined to find answers.”

He said people who lived at or visited Dolphin Square in Pimlico in the 1970s “will have seen or heard something that they only understand the significance of now. Today I want to appeal directly to those other young boys, now men, who were also subject to abuse at the hands of these men.

“I believe that there were other boys who were abused, or who were present while the abuse took place. I would ask you to trust me. I will support you, and do everything in my power to find those responsible and bring them to justice. I need your accounts to help me do that.”

McDonald said he could not rule out that more than one flat in Dolphin Square was used to abuse Nick.

“Nick has described how a car would be sent to collect him, and he would be driven to Dolphin Square,” he said.

“The abuse he has detailed that he was subjected to was carried out by a man on his own, a group of men or during what have been described as parties.”

The residential development near parliament has long been popular with MPs.

Inquiries are also focused on other locations in London and the south of England, including military establishments, and Scotland Yard is working closely with military police.

Scotland Yard revealed that officers had spoken to the family of Martin Allen, who disappeared in 1979 at the age of 15, but said it was not yet possible to say whether his disappearance was linked to Operation Midlands.

Similarly, Sussex police were reviewing the disappearance and murder of eight-year-old Vishal Mehotra in 1981, but the Met said a link with their investigation was unknown at this stage.

Last month Vishal’s father claimed his son may have been killed by the paedophile ring.

Vishambar Mehrotra, a 69-year-old retired magistrate, recorded a male prostitute saying in a telephone call that Vishal may have been abducted and taken to the Elm Guest House in Barnes, south-west London, in 1981, the Daily Telegraph reported.

Mehrotra took the recording to the Metropolitan police at the time but told the newspaper that they refused to investigate an allegation implicating “judges and politicians”.

The skull and several rib bones of Vishal were discovered in 1982 by pigeon shooters in remote marshland at Durford Abbey farm in Rogate, close to the Hampshire-West Sussex border.

Vishal, from Putney, south-west London, disappeared while shopping with his nanny and sister on 29 July 1981.

Mehrotra told the newspaper: “I was contacted by a young man who seemed to be in his 20s. He told me he believed Vishal may have been taken by paedophiles in the Elm Guest House near Barnes Common.

“He said there were very highly placed people there. He talked about judges and politicians who were abusing little boys.”

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I honestly thought that one was too lurid to have any possibility of being true. Holy gently caress.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I honestly thought that one was too lurid to have any possibility of being true. Holy gently caress.
Merry loving christmas. :smith:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

On the plus side, at least British troops didn't torture and murder detainees in Iraq! (they outsourced it to the US :ssh:)

• Locked thread