Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Peanut President posted:

Can you even do an EAS test on pay-per-view?

I'm pretty sure they can. When they do an EAS test, it goes on whatever channel you're on at the time, and will stay on even when you switch channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FuzzySkinner posted:

A Test is something that a station/cable system is required to do weekly/monthly. They usually do them around 1-3 am Monday when most people are asleep.

ah so around the time for TNA Impact!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mike Pereira seems like he's better at the whole "Referee on Television"-role than Mike Carey.

Is there a particular reason for this or does Fox just seem to be better at covering (pro) football than CBS?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think it's just time on the job. Carey seems a little tentative at times. I think he'll get much better as he gains experience doing this. He was always one of the better refs from back in the day.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Mike Carey was legit one of the best refs in the business but it's almost astounding how little of that experience shows on TV. You'd think spending decades making calls in front of 60,000-plus fans every week would condition him a bit on camera presence, but Carey shows almost none of the charisma I was used to seeing from him.

Benne fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 26, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Benne posted:

Mike Carey was legit one of the best refs in the business but it's almost astounding how little of that experience shows on TV. You'd think spending decades making calls in front of 60,000-plus fans every week would condition him a bit on camera presence, but Carey shows almost none of the charisma I was used to seeing from him.

How so? You're announcing it to 60,000 people in the stands while staring at the sidelines. You're not trying to deliver it into a camera.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ayn rand hand job posted:

How so? You're announcing it to 60,000 people in the stands while staring at the sidelines. You're not trying to deliver it into a camera.

NFL refs have to face the TV camera for every call and know where it is (or risk being a Twitter punchline), and they're playing to the TV viewers as much as the live crowd. It's an underrated aspect of the business, and I was just confused as to how Carey could be good at that part while looking/sounding so befuddled every time CBS cuts to him.

Maybe he'll get better with more experience, but he hasn't been impressive so far.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
It's probably way easier to just say "the previous play is under review" or call holding on the Seahawks than it is to eloquently explain the thought process behind a call on the fly.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I think it has more to do with Carey being only one year removed from officiating and made commentator versus Pereira who has been outside of the game for a few years and even then wasn't a man placed in the trenches even when he was active.

Carey needs some wiggle room to grow into his role and then he'll be fine.

Imagine the bid feeding frenzy that will happen when "Guns" hangs it up.

Personally, I'd like Red Cashion to let me know who was giving who "the business".

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Robnoxious posted:

Imagine the bid feeding frenzy that will happen when "Guns" hangs it up.

Oh god he'd talk so long it'd go through like five commercials breaks

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Benne posted:

NFL refs have to face the TV camera for every call and know where it is (or risk being a Twitter punchline), and they're playing to the TV viewers as much as the live crowd. It's an underrated aspect of the business, and I was just confused as to how Carey could be good at that part while looking/sounding so befuddled every time CBS cuts to him.

Maybe he'll get better with more experience, but he hasn't been impressive so far.

I miss Red Cashion.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Numbers Never Lie is being changed to a TV version of the His & Hers podcast that Jemele Hill and Michael Smith have together.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lol Francesa

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

Numbers Never Lie is being changed to a TV version of the His & Hers podcast that Jemele Hill and Michael Smith have together.

The lede getting buried there is that maybe, just maybe, First Take's days are numbered.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

hahahaha this is amazing.

"YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES A JETS RECEIVER TO GET 157 YARDS????

THREE YEARS!"

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

sportsgenius86 posted:

hahahaha this is amazing.

"YOU KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES A JETS RECEIVER TO GET 157 YARDS????

THREE YEARS!"

I can't stand Francesa, and think his head is usually firmly up his rear end, but he really didn't say anything untrue here.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
he's only worth listening to when he's on the verge of a stroke

e- lol, Opie and Anthony covering the time prank callers broke Francesa after he fell asleep on air

New York radio callers are a special breed

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 29, 2014

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Well it seems we might be nearing the end of the whole disaster of CSN Houston... sort of.
Barring an appeal from Comcast, CSN Houston would be bought by AT&T and DirectTV, rebranding the network as Root Sports Houston.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
First Rockets game is supposed to be on Root Sports on Monday. If you have Comcast, DirecTV or AT&T U-Verse you should be able to watch.

Of course I have Dish.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ESPN stole the basic premise behind Tosh.0's Web Redemption and made it into their own segment, called Awesome Video.

Tosh was not happy and obliterated The Worldwide Leader accordingly:
http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/tosh-0-shreds-espn-stealing-web-redemption-series.html

:killdozer:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo, he's not wrong but he is painfully unfunny.

E: I want to sympathize with the guy but this sort of poo poo happens literally everywhere, to the point I just don't give a poo poo anymore, and it's really hard to find sympathy in a slapfight between basic cable shows.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 12, 2014

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

lol my whole loving show is recycling internet videos that have already been beaten into the ground BUT DON'T STEAL MY poo poo GODDAMMIT

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

ESPN stole the basic premise behind Tosh.0's Web Redemption and made it into their own segment, called Awesome Video.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/tosh-0-shreds-espn-stealing-web-redemption-series.html

I love me a good ESPN take down.

Wasn't funny, but it definitely was an excellent hate gently caress.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

my favorite recent one is still Katie Nolan destroying Rick Reilly

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Daniel Tosh's comedy is the equivalent to a stopped clock being right twice a day.

Unfortunately the clock just hit the Kiffin's Krimson Korner sketch and therefore this is trash.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I got the feeling Tosh was more calling ESPN out on their BS because he's tired of it like many others are than trying to be funny.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Root Sports Houston Southwest site is up! Kind of.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

I got the feeling Tosh was more calling ESPN out on their BS because he's tired of it like many others are than trying to be funny.
The problem with Tosh is that you can never tell when he's trying to be funny because he's never funny.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Mildly sports related, but Stevie Wonder responded to claims started by Bomani Jones and sent into public consciousness by Deadspin that maybe, just maybe, #stevieaintblind.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Dish Network is dropping all Comcast Sports Networks. Yes, all of them.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Word on the street says this will be the last SEC football season Verne Lundquist ever calls.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

CaptainYesterday posted:

Dish Network is dropping all Comcast Sports Networks. Yes, all of them.

I'm not surprised, Dish seems to be in a lot of disputes, especially with sports. They either never carried or eventually dropped all 4 NYC-area sports channels, for example.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
I heard this on NPR while driving this morning: Frank Deford is thankful for the Spurs
A sample:

Frank Deford posted:

Has there ever been a team in any sport in the United States that everybody loves as much as the San Antonio Spurs? Sure, there have been popular teams — the Yankees, the Dodgers, the Cowboys when they were America's team and not Jerry Jones' team, Notre Dame — but all those teams engendered almost as much hate as love.

But everybody loves the Spurs. You love the Spurs. I love the Spurs. Have you ever heard anyone criticize the Spurs? No! The good feeling about our Spurs — and, yes, they are our Spurs — is because they are certified to do everything right. The players are all gentlemen. They are never selfish. They play like a team. They win. Our Spurs are not greedy. They are nonpartisan. If only our Spurs were Congress. They pass the ball and play defense.

I kept sitting there, waiting for the punchline to come and it never came.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

I heard this on NPR while driving this morning: Frank Deford is thankful for the Spurs
A sample:

I genuinely look forward to Deford's goofy overwritten sports diatribes on Wednesday mornings on the way to work and I want him to be my cranky old Sports Grandpa who we all humor.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

A sample:

I feel the same way about every single thing he does, he's like a walking stereotype of old white sportswriters.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I should also mention that I have a bunch of friends who are Spurs fans and, if anything, that rant is a restrained version of attempting to have a conversation about basketball with them.

Faxanadu
Apr 18, 2003

The only Spurs fans I know are very nice people who don't really give a poo poo about basketball. They just love their Timmy.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

So topic to bring up.

I saw a few people on my timeline ripping ESPN for not reporting the Cam Newton accident immediately and continuing to discuss the ramifications of Johnny Football starting for the Cleveland Browns.

Do you guys feel ESPN is at fault for not reporting on something like this or do you feel it's their responsibility to interrupt programming immediately for a situation like this?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

So topic to bring up.

I saw a few people on my timeline ripping ESPN for not reporting the Cam Newton accident immediately and continuing to discuss the ramifications of Johnny Football starting for the Cleveland Browns.

Do you guys feel ESPN is at fault for not reporting on something like this or do you feel it's their responsibility to interrupt programming immediately for a situation like this?

I think it depends on the severity of the accident for one. From what it seems like though, that's pretty big news in the sports world and it is pretty surprising they didn't interrupt programming.

E: It might also depend on what's currently being aired. If it's just SportsCenter then yeah I'd have interrupted it. Do you know if ESPNNews immediately went to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If they're like mid-segment I don't think there's anything wrong with finishing that and then going straight to the Newton thing. They need a few minutes to put something together for it anyway.