Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I just replaced a bad hard drive on a user's laptop, and when I went to install Windows 8 on the new HDD, I discovered that the laptop apparently also has a 16GB SSD. I'm assuming the system was originally set up to treat the SSD and HDD as a single logical drive; can I recreate that with generic Windows 8 install media?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Toast Museum posted:

I just replaced a bad hard drive on a user's laptop, and when I went to install Windows 8 on the new HDD, I discovered that the laptop apparently also has a 16GB SSD. I'm assuming the system was originally set up to treat the SSD and HDD as a single logical drive; can I recreate that with generic Windows 8 install media?
If it's a Lenovo laptop, they use the propietary Condusiv Expresscache software plus Lenovo's own RapidBoot. I have the installers on my recovery partition, which is good, because Condusiv's website doesn't seem to be very forthcoming with download links.

But you can just take the cache SSD out, because it has no noticeable impact on performance.

I couldn't tell you one way or the other whether Windows 8 has a generic alternative, but I doubt it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It's not mine to remove parts from, so I think I'll just stick the page file and hibernation file on the SSD for lack of anything better to do with it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Toast Museum posted:

It's not mine to remove parts from, so I think I'll just stick the page file and hibernation file on the SSD for lack of anything better to do with it.
I'd say that's a good idea in theory, but this is how mine performed after three months in cache mode:

Access time is still good. Throughput is for the most part ~10% of the harddrive it accompanies. You could be ruining performance by putting the page file there.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'd say that's a good idea in theory, but this is how mine performed after three months in cache mode:

Access time is still good. Throughput is for the most part ~10% of the harddrive it accompanies. You could be ruining performance by putting the page file there.

Yikes, thanks for the heads-up. I guess that makes sense; SSD speed is at least partially a function of size, and I doubt Acer stuck top-quality flash in this thing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

kalstrams posted:

There was wonky plugin for Trillian, I think, but if I remember correctly it was based of 4.X Skype or something like that so, besides not working reasonably well, it is now non-functional either.

As for emoticons, just disable them completely.

It worked OK, it was using the official SkypeKit, which has now been discontinued. There are no alternative clients for Skype, so I stopped using Skype.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HalloKitty posted:

It worked OK, it was using the official SkypeKit, which has now been discontinued. There are no alternative clients for Skype, so I stopped using Skype.
I wish there comes a day I can afford to do the same. :smith:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have no idea what's happened to my 8.1 machine, but it can't even log out; it just hangs on the "signing out" screen. If I hard shut it down then log in, I just get a black screen. I can open Task Manager and run things from there. I tried doing a system restore, but since it can't sign out, it can't restart properly. Is there anything I can do besides creating an installation disk and flattening the drat thing?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Toast Museum posted:

I believe this is a function of the Intel Storage drivers, so maybe look there somehow?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm finally getting around to reinstalling Windows on my desktop did something stupid. When I wen't to install Google Chrome I accidentally hit...something else. I wen't through and deleted what ever was installed but I see one program on the unininstall list called OpenAL with no publisher. Is this anything I need to keep or toss it?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm finally getting around to reinstalling Windows on my desktop did something stupid. When I wen't to install Google Chrome I accidentally hit...something else. I wen't through and deleted what ever was installed but I see one program on the unininstall list called OpenAL with no publisher. Is this anything I need to keep or toss it?

Might be part of your sound card drivers?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenAL

When in doubt run Malwarebytes anti-malware in case it turns out to be adware or malware. Uncheck the 30-day premium trial while installing or it will bug you to buy it after 30 days.

Also in the future you can grab a bunch of commonly used software in one go with ninite.com, it will give you an installer for whatever you choose from its list and it's pretty comprehensive. It's my first stop after I get drivers on a PC:
https://ninite.com/

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

I have no idea what's happened to my 8.1 machine, but it can't even log out; it just hangs on the "signing out" screen. If I hard shut it down then log in, I just get a black screen. I can open Task Manager and run things from there. I tried doing a system restore, but since it can't sign out, it can't restart properly. Is there anything I can do besides creating an installation disk and flattening the drat thing?

I had something very similar happen to me this week, I wonder if there's a problematic Windows update or something. I had exactly the same issue with system restore not being able to complete, but I found that it was able to do so in safe mode. Run msconfig.exe and check the "safe boot" box on the boot tab. Restart your computer, and it'll come back up in safe mode until you uncheck that box. If you're using bitlocker make sure you've got a recovery key handy, because you'll need it to finish booting into safe mode. Good luck!

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I'm not sure this is the correct thread to ask about windows 10 preview. I'm having trouble even detecting bluetooth devices on a desktop with Intel 7260 pcie card. It was working under windows 7. Anyone else having problems with bluetooth with the preview?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

lostleaf posted:

I'm not sure this is the correct thread to ask about windows 10 preview. I'm having trouble even detecting bluetooth devices on a desktop with Intel 7260 pcie card. It was working under windows 7. Anyone else having problems with bluetooth with the preview?

I just tested and it's working for me but my bluetooth device is the one built into my Thinkpad 420 and lists as "ThinkPad Bluetooth 3.0" in device manager. It looks like it's from Broadcom so it's likely just a different chipset than what you're using. If it's not working I'd consider putting in a report and maybe they'll look at the drivers for the next release. I figured the drivers in it were probably the Windows 8 ones since the ones I have are dated october 2013 and I didn't install them separately.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

stubblyhead posted:

I had something very similar happen to me this week, I wonder if there's a problematic Windows update or something. I had exactly the same issue with system restore not being able to complete, but I found that it was able to do so in safe mode. Run msconfig.exe and check the "safe boot" box on the boot tab. Restart your computer, and it'll come back up in safe mode until you uncheck that box. If you're using bitlocker make sure you've got a recovery key handy, because you'll need it to finish booting into safe mode. Good luck!

I ended up just doing a full reinstall. Woo-hoo. Now, I'm trying to get rid of the previous Windows.old folder from the last time I reinstalled, and I'm left with a handful of DAT files in C:\Windows.old\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\winstore_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Cache\0 with names that are too long for both the recycling bin and shift-delete. How else can I get rid of these?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hooah posted:

I ended up just doing a full reinstall. Woo-hoo. Now, I'm trying to get rid of the previous Windows.old folder from the last time I reinstalled, and I'm left with a handful of DAT files in C:\Windows.old\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\winstore_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Cache\0 with names that are too long for both the recycling bin and shift-delete. How else can I get rid of these?
Try Eraser. I use it to delete important stuff from computer, but it should handle your issue well too, though it takes some time with deletion process.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kalstrams posted:

Try Eraser. I use it to delete important stuff from computer, but it should handle your issue well too, though it takes some time with deletion process.

It didn't work, even when I tried the option to erase on startup. :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hooah posted:

It didn't work, even when I tried the option to erase on startup. :(

Try booting from a Linux live CD and deleting them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know where I can grab the installer for the desktop verion of OneNote 2013? I have a key from my program's DreamSpark, but it's telling me I've exceeded my downloads limit. I've requested additional downloads, but if that doesn't work (or takes a while), I'd like to have another option.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hooah posted:

Does anyone know where I can grab the installer for the desktop verion of OneNote 2013? I have a key from my program's DreamSpark, but it's telling me I've exceeded my downloads limit. I've requested additional downloads, but if that doesn't work (or takes a while), I'd like to have another option.
Have you tried http://www.onenote.com/download ?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Yeah, that's the Metro version.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hooah posted:

Yeah, that's the Metro version.
Is it? For me that one runs like regular desktop application. Or do you mean there are multiple versions for Windows desktop?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kalstrams posted:

Is it? For me that one runs like regular desktop application. Or do you mean there are multiple versions for Windows desktop?

Hmm. I'll try again, but earlier it started in Metro. However, Avast! flagged the installer, so that likely hosed up the installation somehow.

Edit: yup, everything looks good now. Thanks for getting me to try again!

hooah fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 22, 2014

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008
http://portal.microsoftonline.com That's where I get my office stuff from. I've got an MSDN subscription from work, though. I'm not sure if dreamspark works the same way.

Edit: Oh, solved it already. Jesus, I had this tab open for 2 hours.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

hooah posted:

rmdir /s /q C:\Windows.old\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\winstore_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Cache\0

?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Read posted:

rmdir /s /q C:\Windows.old\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages\winstore_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Cache\0

?

Thanks, but I did the Linux thing (eventually; stupid hybrid shutdown).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there some way to move a folder to a new drive while leaving the modified/created dates on the contents alone?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Rexxed posted:

I just tested and it's working for me but my bluetooth device is the one built into my Thinkpad 420 and lists as "ThinkPad Bluetooth 3.0" in device manager. It looks like it's from Broadcom so it's likely just a different chipset than what you're using. If it's not working I'd consider putting in a report and maybe they'll look at the drivers for the next release. I figured the drivers in it were probably the Windows 8 ones since the ones I have are dated october 2013 and I didn't install them separately.

Cool thanks. I'll report it in the feedback app. I saw a large amount of other people reporting similar issues.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there any recommended software for making a slideshow with an audio track? I have a historical podcast I listen to but wanted to make an episode into a video with maps and pictures included.

If there's anything that will let me draw over an image as well (on a surface pro 3) so I can highlight things that would be amazing.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Camtasia Studio is not too expensive as a video editor.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
It's $300 on their website which is pretty expensive for a fun project.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Ariza posted:

It's $300 on their website which is pretty expensive for a fun project.

Yeah that seems a little much for me, I was hoping for something more free. I'm trying to see if it can be done in powerpoint but that doesn't to give me the timing controls I want/seems like an awkward way to go about it.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Crosspost from monitor thread:

My father bought a Samsung U28D590D 4K monitor with 40 bit color depth, but he can't select 40 bit in monitor settings. This is Windows 7. How should this be set?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Boz0r posted:

Crosspost from monitor thread:

My father bought a Samsung U28D590D 4K monitor with 40 bit color depth, but he can't select 40 bit in monitor settings. This is Windows 7. How should this be set?

He probably needs a graphics card that supports that format. Looks like it's amd firepro or nothing at the moment.

emdash fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 23, 2014

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

dis astranagant posted:

Is there some way to move a folder to a new drive while leaving the modified/created dates on the contents alone?

There's probably a better way to do this but iirc things that are zipped and then unzipped somewhere else retain their original dates.

fake edit: http://serverfault.com/questions/288631/what-switches-can-robocopy-use-to-preserve-file-and-directory-times-on-the-targe

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
BitLocker on my dad's computer is useless - his keyboard doesn't input anything on the password screen when switched on from scratch. If he's already been logged in to Windows and restarts, the keyboard is picked up OK.

Any ideas? Legacy USB is enabled in the BIOS. It's an MSI B85M-P33 motherboard. It used to work before the last BIOS update so far as I remember.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

BitLocker on my dad's computer is useless - his keyboard doesn't input anything on the password screen when switched on from scratch. If he's already been logged in to Windows and restarts, the keyboard is picked up OK.

Any ideas? Legacy USB is enabled in the BIOS. It's an MSI B85M-P33 motherboard. It used to work before the last BIOS update so far as I remember.

Try plugging the keyboard into the USB port(s) closest to the PS/2 port, sometimes only one USB controller will work properly before the OS loads and in general it's that one.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Rexxed posted:

Try plugging the keyboard into the USB port(s) closest to the PS/2 port, sometimes only one USB controller will work properly before the OS loads and in general it's that one.

Is it this? Good grief, is that what keeps Windows 7 recovery mode from recognizing my keyboard 85% of the time? (Even though the BIOS and even Windows' own boot menu recognizes it.)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

doctorfrog posted:

Is it this? Good grief, is that what keeps Windows 7 recovery mode from recognizing my keyboard 85% of the time? (Even though the BIOS and even Windows' own boot menu recognizes it.)

Possibly. It doesn't happen with every motherboard because they seem to treat usb controllers differently, but I've seen it on more than a few motherboards. I've even seen motherboards with one USB slot specifically marked as being for use with a keyboard for the BIOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Rexxed posted:

I'll give that a go, cheers.