Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

^ Make sure to tell the poor guy at Scholastic :v:

Not yet, I only see him once a week or so and it's a bit of an obscure thing to ask, I'm talking to him on Wednesday so I'll ask then.

While I was looking, for reference other books I've found are ISBN 1855651343, Up and Away! (Really cool, it has a magnet and the balloon kind of slots into the page, also worryingly obscure) and David Woods "Pop-Through-The-Slot" books, neither of which look anything like the one I remember but might help you.

Edit: I found the ones I was thinking of, Ted and Dolly's Magic Carpet Ride and Ted and Dolly's Fairytale Flight, by Richard Fowler. Seems he's worked with David Wood too. [ Link ]

Were you thinking of this one? The Amazing Journey of Space Ship H-20

OMG I think that's it. I wish I could see the inside of the book but the cover looks very familiar. I will follow up. Thank you so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I've asked about this one before but I think it's been over a year so I will try again.

There was an illustrated book of science fiction stories in my school library. I probably read it in the early 80s, definitely before 1984 and I think probably more like 1981 or 1982. I am pretty sure it was a collection of stories, but I only remember details of one of them. It was about a female space explorer in the future who lived alone on her spaceship. The story explains that she is always nude on her ship, and the paintings/pastels depicted this but in the same way Adam and Eve are shown in children's illustrated bibles. She picks up an alien on some planet that looks pretty much like a brown feather boa, I don't think it had any eyes or other features, just long brown hair. I think she believes it to be an unintelligent animal at first but she starts wearing it wrapped around herself, and it communicates telepathically with her that it loves her. I can't remember any other twists or details to the story but I suspect there were some things that flew right over my head at the time.

The art style is memorable, I can still visualize one of the pictures. It was very soft, possibly done with pastels though maybe I am remembering wrong and it was watercolors. I did an image search for illustrations from children's books from that era and the ones in this link are the closest in style to what I remember - http://50watts.com/The-Children-s-Theater-of-the-Absurd

Unfortunately, googling for nude female astronauts with furry aliens isn't very productive and can be a bit disturbing. I've been trying to find the name of the book for YEARS, it's a good example of the very strange books I was always finding in the elementary school public library - another was a book about werewolves that described in detail a satanic ritual you could perform to become a werewolf.

Could it be this? Travels Through Time

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Alternatively, Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede, though that came out a couple years before.

I think that is the one, I'll see if I can find a cheap copy to read. The cover on Amazon seems to be what I remember, thanks!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Cheers.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
I suppose I can try again: In elementary school our librarian read us a story about a kid who was terrified of the tree outside his bedroom window. He would imagine different things living in the tree, watching him sleep or something. I think one was a troll. The book was accompanied by a cassette, so there was music. This story scared the hell out of me, and I'd love to find it again. This was back in the mid to late eighties. You know, I'm not even one hundred percent sure there /was/ a book--maybe it was just the tape and my *~imagination~* filled in the rest? Either way, it would be really cool to find this guy. Thanks for your help!

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

What was the name of that contemporary novel set in the Irish countryside in which the church burns down and unspeakable acts are comitted with a sheep?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

mcustic posted:

What was the name of that contemporary novel set in the Irish countryside in which the church burns down and unspeakable acts are comitted with a sheep?

Did a guy inject saline into his ballsack in it too? Probably Warren Ellis' Crooked Little Vein.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

mirthdefect posted:

Did a guy inject saline into his ballsack in it too? Probably Warren Ellis' Crooked Little Vein.

No. I might have been a little bit unclear. The novel came out maybe ten years ago, but the setting is, I think, historical. Everybody is very poor, as well, and I think it was written as the priest's diary.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

It sounds right but I can't find anything online about what stories are in it. No wonder I've had such trouble finding this book, if this is it...very obscure.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

It sounds right but I can't find anything online about what stories are in it. No wonder I've had such trouble finding this book, if this is it...very obscure.

ISFDB has it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm trying to remember the name of a thriller I read once. The plot was set after World War II and concerned a man hunting down the Nazi officer who killed his father. He enlists the help of some Jewish people who also want the Nazi dead, and infiltrates some kind of secret post-war Nazi organization. Can anyone please help with this?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Chamale posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a thriller I read once. The plot was set after World War II and concerned a man hunting down the Nazi officer who killed his father. He enlists the help of some Jewish people who also want the Nazi dead, and infiltrates some kind of secret post-war Nazi organization. Can anyone please help with this?

Fredrick Forsyth's The Odessa File would be my first guess.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hobnob posted:

Fredrick Forsyth's The Odessa File would be my first guess.

That's the one, thanks!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This one is really obscure, I think. I read it in the 1970s.

A thriller in which an ordinary nebbish takes in a homeless girl. She turns out to be pregnant, and delivers a child; he is delighted. One day he awakens to find her gone, and to find the baby's bones in his furnace. He is arrested for the murder of the child. The novel ends with his telling the police "A long time ago, when I was a child ..."

And there it ends. When I read it, I checked multiple times to see if our copy was missing a page.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
A horror story I remember from when I was a teenager - it was about a guy whose legs didn't work who meets some kind of devil woman who gives him a gem that makes the holder incredibly lucky at things like gambling and real estate. The more he uses it the more his outside life turns to hell.
He even regains the use of his legs but at a cost.

I remember there's a part where his veteran friend is set on fire.

Anyone? Thanks in advance c:

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
In 2008 I read a novella-length story about a woman who worked a dead-end job, and frequently reflected on her (ex?) boyfriend(?) who, it was frequently mentioned, liked to pin buttons on his shirt, through his nipple. Anyway, she goes on to begin painting, and is eventually guided by some old woman into painting some incredible magnum opus, which ends up being the scene of a huge massacre in the town she lives in. It's revealed that this is the will of this doomsday-ish cult that brings on these events with creators like her.

I thought for a while that it was a Palahniuk story, because that was the phase I was in at the time, but searching through his bibliography doesn't yield any similar descriptions. Anyone have a guess at this?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

That's got to be Palahnuik's Diary.

mcustic posted:

I thought you were taking the piss until your second post...

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

House Louse posted:

That's got to be Palahnuik's Diary.

Yyyyep. Not sure how I missed that one.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
This is a long shot, but when I was in school 15 or so years ago I borrowed a book which was a detective noir set in a bedroom/world of toys. I'm pretty sure the detective character was male, but my Google searches are only bringing up a match with a female detective which I'm almost 100% sure isn't it. Theres the usual murder/corruption/femme fatale/hardboiled detective but its about toys..probably more of a children/young adult book. Please help, it was awesome :( Had chapter illustrations too if I remember correctly.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
There was this short story I read years back, with a last man on earth theme. There's three distinct things I remember.

- One is that the protagonist had to fight off a feral dog, the only other living thing he encounters, I think.

- The other is him making a remark on the adaptability of the human body as he becomes used to crawling on his hands and knees.

- Finally, there's this sound he keeps hearing, and he heads towards that sound. It turns out to be the ocean. As the waves take him out into the sea, his dying thought was that the water had been calling to him. His body would provide the materials necessary for life to gradually emerge once more from the sea, just as it had long ago.

There was also a mention of dust or ashes, but that's about all I know with any certainty. Sound familiar to anyone? It was probably part of an anthology, but again, I'm not one hundred percent sure.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Linnear posted:

There was this short story I read years back, with a last man on earth theme. There's three distinct things I remember.

- One is that the protagonist had to fight off a feral dog, the only other living thing he encounters, I think.

- The other is him making a remark on the adaptability of the human body as he becomes used to crawling on his hands and knees.

- Finally, there's this sound he keeps hearing, and he heads towards that sound. It turns out to be the ocean. As the waves take him out into the sea, his dying thought was that the water had been calling to him. His body would provide the materials necessary for life to gradually emerge once more from the sea, just as it had long ago.

There was also a mention of dust or ashes, but that's about all I know with any certainty. Sound familiar to anyone? It was probably part of an anthology, but again, I'm not one hundred percent sure.
Adam and No Eve by Alfred Bester.

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010

Excellent. Sounds like the author had quite a few neat stories too, so off to Amazon I go. Thanks!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Linnear posted:

Excellent. Sounds like the author had quite a few neat stories too, so off to Amazon I go. Thanks!

You are in for a treat, friend.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

8 Ball posted:

This is a long shot, but when I was in school 15 or so years ago I borrowed a book which was a detective noir set in a bedroom/world of toys. I'm pretty sure the detective character was male, but my Google searches are only bringing up a match with a female detective which I'm almost 100% sure isn't it. Theres the usual murder/corruption/femme fatale/hardboiled detective but its about toys..probably more of a children/young adult book. Please help, it was awesome :( Had chapter illustrations too if I remember correctly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hollow_Chocolate_Bunnies_of_the_Apocalypse ?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

You are in for a treat, friend.

"This Alfred Bester guy sounds like he might have a decent story or two." Heh.

I did not know of this novel, but now I want to read it. In the space of about 60 seconds, reading the synopsis caused me to remember a book I'd read as a kid, wonder what it is, remember a specific rhyme from the book, and solve the mystery of which book it was. I hadn't thought of that book in at least twenty-five years. It's amazing the connections the human brain can make. A single sentence about kids sprouting wings shook loose a memory nearly three decades buried.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Short story, about a group that's exploring this planet. All of the creatures on the planet have grass for eyes, and it turns out the entire planet is a hive mind. It's half narrated from the perspective of one of the creatures, who wants to infect the earth, but gets fried at the end (accidentally).

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Got a bit of a brain bender.

I remember as a kid there was a Twilight Zone episode (I think it was a TZ episode anyway) of a guy and a woman who fell out of sync with time, and saw the people that build the world from second to second and take down the old world. This was NOT A GOOD THING since the builder guys tried to kill em or something.

I remember the episode ended with the people getting away, but the dude finds a big wrench on a box or garbage can or something that the builder guys used, and it was a DUHN DUHN DUNNNN kinda thing.

Anyone know the story it was based on?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Sounds like King's "The Langoliers"

Or PKD's "Adjustment Team"

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 26, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yesterday Was Monday by Theodore Sturgeon.

The Twilight Zone episode was A Matter of Minutes.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

computer parts posted:

Short story, about a group that's exploring this planet. All of the creatures on the planet have grass for eyes, and it turns out the entire planet is a hive mind. It's half narrated from the perspective of one of the creatures, who wants to infect the earth, but gets fried at the end (accidentally).

Green Patches by Isaac Asimov.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Centripetal Horse posted:

Green Patches by Isaac Asimov.

Arrgh, beaten by minutes. It's one of my favorite Asimov short stories. It was originally published as "Misbegotten Missionary" in 1950 and Asimov hated the title and changed it to "Green Patches" when it was included in an anthology in 1969, which my Dad had and that I read in the early 1980s.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

That's not my book, I looked up summaries of every story and none of them involved a naked space lady with a furry psychic snake.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013
Two short stories, I vaguely think they were in the same book that I read in the mid-1970's. It had a dark purple cover with the outline of a black cat on it, and I think it may have been either sold at the school book fair or possibly assigned to read for 7th grade lit class.

The first one is about a dance being held, somewhere in Germany, I think, it's set in the 18th or 19th century, where a watchmaker has invented a wonderful 'dancing partner', apparently a robot, that all the young ladies want to dance with, until it malfunctions and basically dances its partner to death.

The second one is about a clock that stops time for one hour, every day, at noon, but it has to be wound once a week and fed a drop of human blood or it won't work. The guy who discovers this uses it to rob banks, I think, but the down side is that whoever's blood it 'eats' will sicken and die within that week. I vaguely remember the end was the guy tinkering with it and accidentally poking himself in the finger while he had his hand in the clock.

If these sound familiar to anyone, please, let me know!

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

The first one is about a dance being held, somewhere in Germany, I think, it's set in the 18th or 19th century, where a watchmaker has invented a wonderful 'dancing partner', apparently a robot, that all the young ladies want to dance with, until it malfunctions and basically dances its partner to death.

The Dancing Partner by Jerome K Jerome.

Edit: I just noticed the part where you actually used the phrase "dancing partner." You were thiiiiis close.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
This is a long shot, but I'm looking for an illustrated children's book that I remember seeing in probably the mid to late 80's, though it may be older than that. The book was pretty long for a picture book and full of large, exquisitely detailed paintings that were numbered and annotated with dozens of footnotes per page pointing out various flora, fauna and interesting items in the background that sometimes expanded the lore of the story. The pictures were pulled back to show large scenes, sometimes in cutaway to display interiors. I believe these included forest scenes and underground cities among others. I think there was a below ground train station or subway at some point, but I may be wrong about that. I don't remember the details of the story much, but I think there was a large scale conflict or war going on and I believe all the characters were animals, possibly yellow or gold bears.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

Centripetal Horse posted:

The Dancing Partner by Jerome K Jerome.

Edit: I just noticed the part where you actually used the phrase "dancing partner." You were thiiiiis close.

Holy cow! Yes, this is it! Thank you so much!!!!!

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

This is a long shot, but I'm looking for an illustrated children's book that I remember seeing in probably the mid to late 80's, though it may be older than that. The book was pretty long for a picture book and full of large, exquisitely detailed paintings that were numbered and annotated with dozens of footnotes per page pointing out various flora, fauna and interesting items in the background that sometimes expanded the lore of the story. The pictures were pulled back to show large scenes, sometimes in cutaway to display interiors. I believe these included forest scenes and underground cities among others. I think there was a below ground train station or subway at some point, but I may be wrong about that. I don't remember the details of the story much, but I think there was a large scale conflict or war going on and I believe all the characters were animals, possibly yellow or gold bears.

This is certainly "Trouble for Trumpets" by Peter Cross.
http://www.amazon.ca/TROUBLE-FOR-TRUMPETS-Peter-Cross/dp/0394865138
good luck finding a copy.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Wow, you nailed it. Thanks very much!

error4o4
Jun 2, 2003
i fucking hate you
I'm looking for a short story by a science fiction author, maybe Fredric Brown ?
The hero sees multiple ads for sales ending at <specific date>, so he starts thinking that the world will end at this date. The date keeps coming closer to this date, and he's more and more obsessed about this. Eventually, on the <specific date>, the world ends (for him at least, because he is struck by a car, and dies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A long time ago, as these things usually go, dating back to when I was between 4 and 8-10 - I had a favorite story. Unfortunately, I only remember a few things about it:
It's a story told in third person, I think, and is about two cats who decide that they want fish, so they jump aboard a fishing boat just as it's about to leave, and it quickly develops that there's actually a storm coming and so the cats spend part of a, to my kids mind, terrifying night in a storm. However, at the end of it, the cats are alright and they are served meatballs by the ships cook.

The rub is that I had this story in Danish as an audiobook on casette. I think, through inference of what I remember it looking like, it might have been released/distributed by ELAP in Denmark. My previous attempts at locating the book through the local library and their contacts, and even phoning up ELAP, have all been unsuccessful.

I really hope some of you can assist me again. Last time, Hedrigall identified the story faster than I would have imagined.