Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

dino. posted:

And that's why everyone thinks you're an rear end in a top hat. Instead of insulting charmmi's cooking, which you haven't even tasted, you could have bloody well said, "Hey, this is what I like in my hotpot." Maybe that's why there were 6 of us gathered around the table, enjoying each other's company, and you were feeding your fat face with the cumshot from the masturbation you had, because your wife won't even gently caress you.

wow dude, maybe you should take an internet break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
He's been needlessly pedantic, aggro, or outright an rear end in a top hat on multiple occasions, and it's been grating on my nerves for a while now. I'm generally OK with most of it, and I'll let it slide, until you start insulting someone's food for no reason, especially when you haven't loving even tried it. Because clearly, I'm a guy who doesn't like flavour, so I'd praise something that's bland. Right. And a bunch of people who hang out in a loving food forum can't manage to figure out between us how to make something have flavour. Seriously.

Someone saying, "I don't know how yours came out, but here's how I do mine" is cool, because it's sharing your own experiences, and we can all learn from it. Why is it necessary to down someone's food when you (1) don't know what's in it, (2) weren't there to try it, and (3) nobody loving asked?

dino. fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 24, 2014

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

dino. posted:

He's been needlessly pedantic, aggro, or outright an rear end in a top hat on multiple occasions, and it's been grating on my nerves for a while now. I'm generally OK with most of it, and I'll let it slide, until you start insulting someone's food for no reason, especially when you haven't loving even tried it. Because clearly, I'm a guy who doesn't like flavour, so I'd praise something that's bland. Right. And a bunch of people who hang out in a loving food forum can't manage to figure out between us how to make something have flavour. Seriously.

Someone saying, "I don't know how yours came out, but here's how I do mine" is cool, because it's sharing your own experiences, and we can all learn from it. Why is it necessary to down someone's food when you (1) don't know what's in it, (2) weren't there to try it, and (3) nobody loving asked?

chill

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

dino. posted:

(1) He does know what wasn't in it, though, and then stated the things that he would like in it. (2) Well, that's the same with any criticism or comments about what someone cooks/eats on the internet, isn't it? (3) This is a chat thread between, essentially, friends. One could argue that no one asked you about the hot pot you ate, either, but you decided to tell people about it, too. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Also I really don't think he was trying to rip on charmmi's cooking or whatever.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

k.

It's this UTI. It's making everything way more angry inducing than it needs to be. One week, and it's still not gone. Everything burns and hurts.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

dino. posted:

And that's why everyone thinks you're an rear end in a top hat. Instead of insulting charmmi's cooking, which you haven't even tasted, you could have bloody well said, "Hey, this is what I like in my hotpot." Maybe that's why there were 6 of us gathered around the table, enjoying each other's company, and you were feeding your fat face with the cumshot from the masturbation you had, because your wife won't even gently caress you.
sorry dino, vegan hotpot blows sorry to be the one to break this news to you hth *~hugZ~##

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

dino. posted:

k.

It's this UTI. It's making everything way more angry inducing than it needs to be. One week, and it's still not gone. Everything burns and hurts.

sorry your dick hurts or whatever but christ almighty.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dino. posted:

a bunch of people who hang out in a loving food forum

dino it's a food forum

an internet forum about food

on the internet

where people talk and troll other people in absolutes about non-existent food

:( its going to be ok man

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Well then...

Idk, I said I'm sure it was good, but hey fixate on whatever you want I guess

:sympathy:

Edit: I do recall one such instance in another thread where you looked at a recipe of smoked pork and beans and said it sounded bland too with the air of not even knowing what a ham hock even tasted like, so there's that. Blood on both sides. RIP us

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 24, 2014

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
So... what the hell is sa cha sass?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Rurutia posted:

So... what the hell is sa cha sass?

Dis stuff

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shacha_sauce

Its basically blue collar XO

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
And now the mixes the Chinese dudes at the table next to me were making with the condiments makes much more sense.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

also

dino. posted:

with the cumshot from the masturbation you had

who "has" masturbation?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mediaphage posted:

who "has" masturbation?

GrAviTy84 has mastrubation, come on, get with the picture.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
6 lbs of mussels, clams, and shrimp, 2 lbs of potatoes, and 3 dungeoness crabs is a lot of goddamn food. Why did I think that would be an appropriate amount for dinner / lunch tomorrow :cry:

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

"bigger dick then normal" is a low bar for someone who is never a dick. Like, one random "up yours" would be more then enough. Try it! Say something mean to me!
Hey Squashy how do you feel about dino's ability to be a dick now?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

We're tearing this subforum apart :(

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Hey take it here

http://peoplewhogetreallymadaboutfood.tumblr.com/

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I'm just sad this isn't updated more: http://goonapetit.tumblr.com/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm just sad this isn't updated more: http://goonapetit.tumblr.com/

The gas turned out to be something else.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

To be entirely fair, is anybody really surprised that gravity was the person to finally make dino snap? :v:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PopeCrunch posted:

To be entirely fair, is anybody really surprised that gravity was the person to finally make dino snap? :v:

Im still not sure why he so mad about what I said. I've said some pretty douchey things in here but that wasnt even really that critical. :iiam: I even gave him the benefit of the doubt.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

feelz good man posted:

sorry dino, vegan hotpot blows sorry to be the one to break this news to you hth *~hugZ~##

Vegan hotpot is actually good, though. I've had it tons of times. If you have bland vegan hotpot, it wouldn't suddenly be good with meat.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0

Sober dino with a UTI is quite different.

We've all missed the most potentially interesting element: how'd you get the UTI?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

GrAviTy84 posted:

Im still not sure why he so mad about what I said. I've said some pretty douchey things in here but that wasnt even really that critical. :iiam: I even gave him the benefit of the doubt.

My bet is that dino, who is a very appreciative person, who is in touch with his emotions, and who thoroughly enjoys something when he says he does actually took your conversational masterpiece as a bit more than what it was meant as. I am pretty sure that dino would like to point out that the people he ate with (who are delightful, by the way), have put considerable effort into actually catering to his specific culinary needs, and thereby the first assumption shouldn't be that they had failed miserably, but rather had succeeded to the best of their abilities given the requirements and limitations imposed by dinos diet.

Dino may have felt great appreciation of the fact that someone actually took the bother to change their general dietary practices, only for the joy of being together with dino.

You then equate the joy of being with dino with a bland experience.

Seen from your perspective - it is more "Fish beats vegetables - lol".

So I see a failure to communicate evolve - which is never a good thing, because I, personally, am convinced that you individually are great persons.

On top of this, dino is for once not thinking with love in his heart, but with fire in his penis.

So in total - you should do a consolidatory cook-off, where you, in common, create a non-bland vegetable hot pot (or hot water heater - what the actual gently caress is a hot pot? are your loving pots cold? does it have anything to do with bong-water???), together, and share it on these forums.

If I were to say, it would be a requirement that you post at least a 10 line poem about the appreciation you feel for eachother on top of this, and recite it on youtube to show the world that you're now best of pals again.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

Sober dino with a UTI is quite different.

just more obvious.

Happy Hat posted:

weird moonland nonsense

i often wonder whether happy hat smokes up before he internets.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Also - gourd needs to eat more chiles

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

mediaphage posted:

i often wonder whether happy hat smokes up before he internets.

To quote the greatest of all American sonneteers:

Ooh, there ain't no other way, baby, I was born this way
Baby, I was born this way
Ooh, there ain't no other way, baby, I was born this way
I'm on the right track, baby, I was born this way

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

does anyone actually think this would be bland with vegetables?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

i don't. but even if grav was being, shall we say, a bit obtuse, dino was wildly inappropriate with the level of his response.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

what the actual gently caress is a hot pot?

It's just directly lifted from Chinese "rè guó" - "warm pot". Not hot as in "spicy" (là). It was just a convenient way of eating for poor people who have a lot of heartroom, and love company, but own few pots and pans.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

fart simpson posted:

I think part of the reaction comes from the fact that traditionally the entire point of hot pot or shabu shabu is to quickly cook thinnly sliced meat in just a few seconds at the table. Shabu shabu, the name, comes from the sound of swishing a slice of meat through the broth.

I'm not sure how Charmmi did it since vegetables tend to take longer to cook, and I'm pretty intrigued as to what would be used for a vegan hotpot, but I understand the sentiment that fish balls etc are a core component which would be sorely missed. Either way, I'm sure it was delicious.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Well here in China it's not just meat that's used in hotpot. There's like 10 different types of tofu, different mushrooms, potatoes, sweet potatoes, lotus root, carrots, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, wheat and rice noodles, etc.

Usually when we go, we order mostly vegan stuff and like 1 small plate of sliced lamb or something. I've gone with vegan friends and left out the lamb and it's still good. The spicy broths tend to be vegan anyway.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 24, 2014

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Hot pot usually involves leaving the food for a while.

Chinese women love, love, love hotpot. It's their dish. Men are perfectly allowed to eat it, even without women present. But women turn the meal into communion. They marvel at the spread of plates brim-full with fish, shrimp, shellfish and fish cakes, of thinly sliced mutton, beef, pork, tripe, tongue, duck entrails wound like rope, of smoked and deep-fried and pressed and marinated and dried tofu, mushrooms, spinach and cabbage, fat rice cakes and thin glass noodles. As the two soups heat (usually there's a white and a hot red) they chat, and gossip, and confide. They mix bowls of condiments and finally they start adding ingredients according to agreement - some more shrimp, perhaps? Qin ai de, do you like scallops? Another one, perhaps? They can keep it up for hours. The Chinese Female Hot Pot should be on the UNESCO world heritage list.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Sjurygg - I depend on you here, because these americans are using words in a way where they make sense individually, but not in connection.

You have a pot of broth, and in that broth the individuals puts different stuff, and then the stuff is removed for individual consumption... Kinda like fondue?

It is broth, but not shallow frying or some such, so basically everything is prepared at a temperature of what? 80 degrees? Then you make soup with the individual trimmings, or?

How do you seperate the different items, is it one communal pot or individual pots? do you hold on to what you have put in while doing it?

Are the fish testes thinly sliced too?

Edit: Many of my questions were answered beforehand!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sjurygg posted:

Hot pot usually involves leaving the food for a while.

Chinese women love, love, love hotpot. It's their dish. Men are perfectly allowed to eat it, even without women present. But women turn the meal into communion. They marvel at the spread of plates brim-full with fish, shrimp, shellfish and fish cakes, of thinly sliced mutton, beef, pork, tripe, tongue, duck entrails wound like rope, of smoked and deep-fried and pressed and marinated and dried tofu, mushrooms, spinach and cabbage, fat rice cakes and thin glass noodles. As the two soups heat (usually there's a white and a hot red) they chat, and gossip, and confide. They mix bowls of condiments and finally they start adding ingredients according to agreement - some more shrimp, perhaps? Qin ai de, do you like scallops? Another one, perhaps? They can keep it up for hours. The Chinese Female Hot Pot should be on the UNESCO world heritage list.

This is true but my girlfriend and I don't really like meat enough to order all of those animal products at one time. Also the men have to drink crappy beer the whole time, which is a pretty good pairing with the food.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Happy Hat posted:

what the actual gently caress is a hot pot?

It is a low, wide pot with a hotplate. You put it in the middle of your table and add a flavorful liquid like broth and various yummy things like vegetables and meat and tofu in it. Then you put on the cover and it simmers while you talk with friends or family or watch TV with them. Then once it is done you take the cover off and use chopsticks to pick yummy things out and eat them, maybe with rice on the side to drip the flavorful liquid on as you eat.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Happy Hat posted:

Sjurygg - I depend on you here, because these americans are using words in a way where they make sense individually, but not in connection.

You have a pot of broth, and in that broth the individuals puts different stuff, and then the stuff is removed for individual consumption... Kinda like fondue?

It is broth, but not shallow frying or some such, so basically everything is prepared at a temperature of what? 80 degrees? Then you make soup with the individual trimmings, or?

How do you seperate the different items, is it one communal pot or individual pots? do you hold on to what you have put in while doing it?

Are the fish testes thinly sliced too?

Edit: Many of my questions were answered beforehand!

You have lots of plates of sliced, raw ingredients. You put them in a communal pot of boiling or near boiling oily broth, wait a while, then fish around with chopsticks or a slotted spoon to take individual cooked pieces out for yourself or your significant other. You place these cooked, relatively dry items in an individual bowl, a bowl which you've previously filled with cold condiments like sesame oil, sliced chile peppers, chopped peanuts, soy sauce, mashed garlic, or other things like that. Then you lift the pieces of cooked food, place in mouth, chew, and swallow.

e: there's different types of hot pot, although the core concept is the same. The guy above me posted a slightly different way of doing it, more home style, whereas my description is more restaurant style.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
^^ I've always done it your way for home style as well.

fart simpson posted:

Well here in China it's not just meat that's used in hotpot. There's like 10 different types of tofu, different mushrooms, potatoes, sweet potatoes, lotus root, carrots, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, wheat and rice noodles, etc.

I didn't mean to imply that vegetables weren't used. If I understand the motivation behind hot pot correctly, it is that thinly sliced meat is best with a very short cooking time and eaten straight out of the pot. My intrigue comes from the fact that if they only used what you listed, there would be a lot more throwing things into a pot and waiting - where it becomes similar to just doing a stovetop soup. Vs the usual, one person throwing the veggies/noodles/fish balls etc into the pot, and everyone swishing their own meat and eating that while fishing the other stuff out from deep under. I'm wondering if Charmmi did something to emulate the latter more than the first.

Just to be clear, there's no judging here. Just understanding where Grav was coming from, even if I don't necessarily agree with what he posted, and curiousity at something done differently than my usual experience growing up and with various chefs.

I've never had potato/sweet potato in my hot pot anywhere. Is that a new thing or a regional thing? I'm not sure if I like the sound of it, hm.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

gently caress - this sounds delicious..

And fun!