Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

OneOverZero posted:

Just quadrupled displacement going from a 1.4T '13 Dart to a Hemi/TR6060 Challenger. It's the second-smallest engine available.

It's difficult to convey the sheer size of these cars, but with the Bilsteins, this trim rides and handles far better than it should. Comfortable as hell and that torque curve :swoon:

I do need to get photos that aren't taken with a phone while waiting for Charter.

Nice looking car. Let me know if the TR-6060 starts to grind in reverse if you clutch in from a stop. The Viper needs a new reverse hub apparently, and it's supposedly endemic to the TR-6060s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

D C posted:

How terrible are LR3/LR4s? I want a rugged SUV to replace my Wrangler because its poo poo on the highway, they entice me but scare me at the same time.

I'll let you know. But from what I have gathered they are some of the best Rovers made. LR3 has tons of Ford engineering in it, the Jag motor is a good unit plus the ZF 6HP26 is really stout.

The only issue that I have found is poo poo related to the air suspension, which is just worn out compressors. My bags look new (they could have been replaced) but the system functions fine and responds quickly.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

-

Cached Money fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 6, 2018

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Were those Buicks sold there or was that an import?

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

-

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Traded in the poo poo Porsche Cayman and got a thing:

I like it so far. Somehow getting 22 mpg, but it's been entirely highway. It's a 2012 with 18,000 miles on it. That speaks to mostly highway miles in the history too, and I'm totally OK with that. I love letting other people eat the depreciation, they had to be $15k upside-down on this if they didn't pay half as a down payment.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Cached Money posted:

So I recently traded this:

Aww, A 1990 Regal was the car I had through late high school and early college, and so they'll always have a soft spot in my heart as the first car I did all of my stupid car stunt poo poo in... airborne, e-brake turns, accidental 360's on dirt roads... good times.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

wallaka posted:

I like it so far. Somehow getting 22 mpg, but it's been entirely highway. It's a 2012 with 18,000 miles on it. That speaks to mostly highway miles in the history too, and I'm totally OK with that. I love letting other people eat the depreciation, they had to be $15k upside-down on this if they didn't pay half as a down payment.

Nice! White Challengers look so awesome.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
When did the Taurus get so fat and bloated? I had been thinking of them as mid-size sedans until one showed up for an autocross training weekend a couple of years ago.
SoloPro Autocross School 35 by Execudork, on Flickr
Ignore the green tape, the owner of the car - boyfriend of the driver - was worried about rock chips from the parking lot. I dunno.
But that thing was goddam enormous.

Camaro-Chat:
I had a rental drop-top Camaro a year ago in Florida. Anywhere but Florida that thing would have been 100% ridiculous and undriveable. In Florida, it was merely 50% ridiculous. With the top down it was good fun, buttoned up it was like driving an underpowered bunker around. I say underpowered because, as a rental, it had the V6. A decent enough engine, I suppose, but by no means suited to that car.
My Ridiculous Rental Car by Execudork, on Flickr

My current ride is my parent's Chrysler 300M. It's not interesting enough to really talk about. Photo taken in its natural home, the grocery store's underground parking lot.
Underground Chrysler 300 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
I named her Nicki, after Nicki Minaj, on account of her enormous rear end.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
Traded in my 2011 Mazda 3 and picked up a used 2014 Buick Verano Turbo a few days ago - I'm 40 so I'm legally allowed to own a Buick. Love it so far. Quiet as a coffin... sort of fitting given Buick's demographic. Surprised at how quick this thing is. (Sorry...can't take pictures worth a drat).

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Thats the manualest looking automatic Ive ever seen. Seats look comfy too.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

Cage posted:

Thats the manualest looking automatic Ive ever seen. Seats look comfy too.

Surprisingly you can get a six speed manual but most of the reviews I read said you're better off with the auto.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

wallaka posted:

Thats quite a different kind of car. How is the 1500(!) extra lbs feeling? Mulling over BRZ to 2015 challenger scat pack, but i just dont think i can make such a big weight jump

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

wallaka posted:

Did you get double the chest hair when you got it home.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ExecuDork posted:

When did the Taurus get so fat and bloated?

All three cars you posted are over-sized pieces of domestic poo poo so...?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Chinatown posted:

All three cars you posted are over-sized pieces of domestic poo poo so...?
Not disputing that one bit. I've never sat in a Taurus of any age, let alone driven one, the Camaro was a gently caress-it-it's-a-rental 5-day fling, and the over-sized domestic fatass I'm driving now was not up to me - I'm not one to turn down four-wheels-and-an-engine when I need something to run errands. Being broke and crap job security (2-month contract renewals yay) makes car-shopping really lovely.

Wiki says the Fifth-Generation Taurus started production in 2007 for the 2008 model year. Four-gen was 3,316lbs curb weight, fifth-gen 3,741 (for the FWD), so only about 400lbs gained, but it just looks bloated.

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's basically an SUV that looks like a sedan.
This. Does somebody here regularly drive one, and could comment on what it's like when you're used to it?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Selling my blazer.

Picked up a marquis.

2000, Pretty spartan options, Fancy blue cloth (thats like new).

Everything works minus cruise. I really love it and am finally super glad I finally moved to the larger fords.

Paid 2300 (with 60 day tags + Tax).
Car has 228k on it. Super clean inside and out. Brand new tires and seriously everything works. Power mirrors, Heat, AC, Radio even sounds crisp and new. Its crazy. Just needs some tint and its the ultimate low key stealth machine. :)

Curiously. Anything major anyone knows about the 4.6 I should know? I need to pull a carfax on it, But everything indicates one owner, someone who would change the oil maybe, and drove soft enough nothing ever broke. Any wear items other than the intake manifold and obvious poo poo like belts I should peek at?

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 17, 2014

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

-

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

El Scotch posted:

Did you get double the chest hair when you got it home.

Yes. Also, my penis grew to a full 5 inches.

coolskillrex remix posted:

Thats quite a different kind of car. How is the 1500(!) extra lbs feeling? Mulling over BRZ to 2015 challenger scat pack, but i just dont think i can make such a big weight jump

It hides it pretty well, honestly. It corners flat and doesn't wallow. The car I had before the Cayman was a 2005 Mercedes E55 AMG so I'm used to the pork, though. The Challenger feels 1,000 pounds lighter and much sharper than that did. The stability control allows a bit of yaw and wheelspin, and can be completely turned off. The car does have a real mechanical limited-slip differential. I mainly notice the width of the car.

I wanted a manual transmission, but I have to say the programming on this unit is very good. It holds gears when you want, downshifts to use engine braking when you come to a stop, and kicks down multiple gears if it needs to. It's smooth when not in Sport mode.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Roll on the Mazda curse

I've wanted one of these since they first came out so I'm as excited as hell right now (even though I don't get to actually pick it up until the weekend)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Nice Subaru.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^

Cage posted:

Thats the manualest looking automatic Ive ever seen.

How about the FR-S/BRZ?

Not sure why anyone would buy an automatic, but people do!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

salt the fries! posted:

How about the FR-S/BRZ?

I have several coworkers, who are all electrical engineers, who bought automatic BRZs and FRSs. They bought them, because they aren't actually car enthusiasts, and the cars "look cool".

Kuruma banare, or something. I guess.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I have a Fiesta ST:

Now all I need is a matching green one with this number plate:

And I can be the 420-blaze-it-est mad oval office etc known to man.

Because 'straya.

In all seriousness it's a ridiculously fun little car and makes the best CBV noises with a CAI. Next step is upgraded FMIC, charge piping, and catback - aiming for 200fwhp.

It doesn't need it, but it wants it so badly.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

salt the fries! posted:

How about the FR-S/BRZ?

Because it is less painful than knee-replacement surgery (and I am scared of hate doctors) :saddowns:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Just find a clinical trial where they shoot a bunch of stem cells into your knee to see what happens. I'm sure that's a thing now because future.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

DILLIGAF posted:

Because it is less painful than knee-replacement surgery (and I am scared of hate doctors) :saddowns:

I feel ya. I'm quickly headed that direction and will have to give up 3 pedal supremacy very soon.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

Not disputing that one bit. I've never sat in a Taurus of any age, let alone driven one, the Camaro was a gently caress-it-it's-a-rental 5-day fling, and the over-sized domestic fatass I'm driving now was not up to me - I'm not one to turn down four-wheels-and-an-engine when I need something to run errands. Being broke and crap job security (2-month contract renewals yay) makes car-shopping really lovely.

Wiki says the Fifth-Generation Taurus started production in 2007 for the 2008 model year. Four-gen was 3,316lbs curb weight, fifth-gen 3,741 (for the FWD), so only about 400lbs gained, but it just looks bloated.

This. Does somebody here regularly drive one, and could comment on what it's like when you're used to it?

I've had this beautiful beast as my company car since July:

If you're used to driving a small car its a bit of an adjustment but really its not that bad. The visibility out the back really is pretty bad but it has a backup camera so its not an issue. The side mirrors are large & have blind spot mirrors built in so you can't lose anyone next to you.

Basically its a big, comfortable, & quiet rolling couch.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I feel ya. I'm quickly headed that direction and will have to give up 3 pedal supremacy very soon.

I don't understand why in the states they don't get people to learn to drive in manuals. Its a lot easier to go from a manual to an automatic than the other way around, and it handy should you ever find yourself in a situation where an automatic is hard to find (such as renting a car in Europe).

In the UK if you can't drive with a manual transmission you are looked down upon as a bit special. :downs:

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Ludicro posted:

I don't understand why in the states they don't get people to learn to drive in manuals. Its a lot easier to go from a manual to an automatic than the other way around, and it handy should you ever find yourself in a situation where an automatic is hard to find (such as renting a car in Europe).

In the UK if you can't drive with a manual transmission you are looked down upon as a bit special. :downs:

Not to mention if you don't take your driving test in a manual you aren't allowed to drive one.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ludicro posted:

Most Americans will never rent a car in Europe and they teach driving in schools to 15 year olds so they probably figured automatics are easier.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

warcake posted:

Not to mention if you don't take your driving test in a manual you aren't allowed to drive one.

Same here, I have a friend who's got a license like that (auto only).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I dunno, I'm honestly pretty glad I learned on an automatic. It's stressful enough dealing with traffic and all the other macro-issues with driving when you're just starting out; adding all the stuff you can do wrong with a stick doesn't sound helpful. It was easy enough to learn how to drive a manual after I'd already become comfortable with driving on public streets / in traffic.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Crosspost from the BMW thread. Bought a friend for my M3. Couldn't stay away, especially after driving a horrible mk4 that breaks all the time.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Is that lowered?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yes, and it's got xi wheels on it so assuming it's an xi then it's probably got an H&R cup kit on it since the availability of xi lowering stuff is really small.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Yes, lowered on bilstein PSS. Not an Xi.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

salt the fries! posted:

How about the FR-S/BRZ?

I didn't realize these cars even came in automatic.

I just retroactively lost respect for every BRZ/FR-S driver I've ever encountered where I simply assumed it was a manual. Even after taking a peek inside.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dont know much about BMWs, but thats an E46 no? My brother just bought one recently, 130k miles or so and it still runs really nicely. The only thing that bugs me are the headlights, I hate those little wavy parts on the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

ynotony posted:

I didn't realize these cars even came in automatic.

I just retroactively lost respect for every BRZ/FR-S driver I've ever encountered where I simply assumed it was a manual. Even after taking a peek inside.

To be fair if you wanted one early some people just took automatics because the dealers ordered a shitton and made money on them. Its really not that bad of an automatic, its a quick paddle shift that lets you downshift/upshift quickly and usually listens to you (lets say i liked it a lot more than a 2009 amg single clutch). I test drove an automatic fr-s because thats all they had at the dealership and placed an order same day on a manual on blind faith that it was going to be a solid manual. It is definitely a nice notchy shortish throw shifter, but the car is definitely a lot more fun than most out there even with an automatic, i cant hold it against them if they didnt want to wait 2-3 months.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 25, 2014