Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm enjoying The Evil Within as I'm unlocking more options for combat and such, but one thing that I really hate is the save room. It's sort of locked behind mirrors that you go 'into', or something, and every time you enter and leave, there's this incredibly high-pitched noise, like feedback, that plays. Bugs the poo poo out of me everytime, but the worst part is that I have a friend who suffers from migraines - she can't even be in my apartment when that noise plays, otherwise it'll set her off. So I mute it every time.

Honestly though it's just annoying as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Morpheus posted:

What games are you referring to?

Yeah I'm curious about this too. It seems like if a modern 3D action game had you dodging attacks by running away at full speed like an NES character it would look and feel super weird.

Remember all the Double Dragon type beat-em-up games from the late 80s? When I play those now they feel really foreign cause most of the challenge is from trying to outmaneuver fast-moving things at a leisurely walking speed. Ninja Gaiden, the arcade one, is the only one I can think of with a dodge move and it makes a big difference.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Morpheus posted:

What games are you referring to?

Currently re revelation on ps3, but in general where dodging is separate from normal movement controls, and is timing based. They feel like, push this button at proper time to be invincible fail and take a lot of damage mechanics.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

swamp waste posted:

Yeah I'm curious about this too. It seems like if a modern 3D action game had you dodging attacks by running away at full speed like an NES character it would look and feel super weird.

Remember all the Double Dragon type beat-em-up games from the late 80s? When I play those now they feel really foreign cause most of the challenge is from trying to outmaneuver fast-moving things at a leisurely walking speed. Ninja Gaiden, the arcade one, is the only one I can think of with a dodge move and it makes a big difference.

The Xbox ninja gaiden and devil may cry for ps2 had you dodge without using any special timed inputs for the most part. I don't think any of the metal gears besides revengance (not real metal gear) had any special dodge mechanics.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TOILETLORD posted:

Currently re revelation on ps3, but in general where dodging is separate from normal movement controls, and is timing based. They feel like, push this button at proper time to be invincible fail and take a lot of damage mechanics.

How is that radically different from "hug right wall until X time or take a lot of damage" mechanics old games used to have? At least requiring proper timing takes practice and a tiny modicum of skill to pull of.

TOILETLORD posted:

The Xbox ninja gaiden and devil may cry for ps2 had you dodge without using any special timed inputs for the most part. I don't think any of the metal gears besides revengance (not real metal gear) had any special dodge mechanics.

MGS has the dodge roll (cartwheel for Raiden).

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Alteisen posted:

For a company that created 2 entire universes with a wealth of lore, Destiny sure lacks in the creativity department when it comes to the bosses, its just really big versions of already existing enemies.

Bungie's always sucked at boss fights. The Halo games were at their best when you had an interesting battlefield in which to take out a horde of enemies, not having to deal with a gimmicky enemy who can kill you nigh-instantly (Tartarus, the Prophet in Halo 2) or a fight that might as well have been a cutscene (343 Guilty Spark). And the one time they introduced an enemy that could have been a fun, thematically consistent boss fight, they don't even have him put in more than a token appearance in the final game (the Gravemind)!

I like Destiny, but Bungie really needs to get back to their strengths: big open combat areas with tons going on and the ability to drive around in a jeep with a cannon on the back with your buddy hanging out the side.

I mean for god's sake the standard fireteam size in Destiny is THREE how is there not a Guardian Warthog to tool around in?

Polaron has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Nov 21, 2014

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

How is that radically different from "hug right wall until X time or take a lot of damage" mechanics old games used to have? At least requiring proper timing takes practice and a tiny modicum of skill to pull of.

as in if it's a non standard button input that is not part of the standard movement controls,and when it's not intuitive when compared to the rest of the controls as a whole and feels like something added as a completely different separate mechanic.

also who even remembers msg 2 when you can just play 3 forever.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I think Toiletlord's gripe is with invincibility-frames. So like Zelda games, you dodge an attack by being somewhere else when the attack happens, where with a lot of 3D action games you can sort of clip through an attack as long as you're in your dodge animation.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Invincibility frames are kind of an important core piece of skill-based third person action game combat.

I mean, yeah, it gets a little silly sometimes when you dodge-roll through an explosion or something, but games like Monster Hunter, Dark Souls, Devil May Cry, etc all employ invincibility frames to great effect. Think of it as rolling under the attack or whatever.

In fact, regarding things dragging games down, dodge rolls without invincibility frames feel so bad in action games.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Polaron posted:

Bungie's always sucked at boss fights. The Halo games were at their best when you had an interesting battlefield in which to take out a horde of enemies, not having to deal with a gimmicky enemy who can kill you nigh-instantly (Tartarus, the Prophet in Halo 2)

You forgot the Heretic Leader, though I can't say I blame you, since he was frankly more annoying than either the Prophet of Regret or Tartarus. drat backstabbing, jetpack-wearing, hologram-using coward. :argh:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Polaron posted:

Bungie's always sucked at boss fights. The Halo games were at their best when you had an interesting battlefield in which to take out a horde of enemies, not having to deal with a gimmicky enemy who can kill you nigh-instantly (Tartarus, the Prophet in Halo 2) or a fight that might as well have been a cutscene (343 Guilty Spark). And the one time they introduced an enemy that could have been a fun, thematically consistent boss fight, they don't even have him put in more than a token appearance in the final game (the Gravemind)!

I like Destiny, but Bungie really needs to get back to their strengths: big open combat areas with tons going on and the ability to drive around in a jeep with a cannon on the back with your buddy hanging out the side.

I mean for god's sake the standard fireteam size in Destiny is THREE how is there not a Guardian Warthog to tool around in?

The first Halo was perfectly fine without some lovely bossfight* yet the felt the need to shove them into the later games for no particular reason.

*Beyond the occasional Golden armored Elite with a sword out to :ese: you.

And the bolded is one of the biggest problems with Destiny. Really, all these somewhat large outdoor areas and a supposed team game but no multiperson vehicles? Cmon guys :(

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Honestly though it's just annoying as poo poo.

Pretty much how I'd describe The Evil Within in general, too many bizarre design decisions to count. The RE4 style of 3rd-person shootman they invented was practically perfected in Shadows of the Damned so in its third iteration you'd think they'd spend their time on perfecting the little things but of course they didn't.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Kalos posted:

I think Toiletlord's gripe is with invincibility-frames. So like Zelda games, you dodge an attack by being somewhere else when the attack happens, where with a lot of 3D action games you can sort of clip through an attack as long as you're in your dodge animation.

no i phrased it bad dodging in some games is treated more like a qte where you get like an animation of you dodging or you just fail and get hit.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Why do the weapons in Dark Souls 2 break so quickly? It's annoying.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

natetimm posted:

Are you on PC? The degradation is tied to frames for some silly reason. That said, it's not that big of a deal outside a few weapons and situations. It just means you need to be hitting a bonfire more often.

And oh yeah. Swinging through corpses will really, really degrade your weapon. Don't do that.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Who What Now posted:

One of the issues with these kinds of dodge mechanics is that you can lose the risk-reward decision between survivability and damage. Physically moving out of the way of an attack means you're safe, but it also means your opponent is safe. You have an option: play it close and risk taking hits, or safe and slow.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

natetimm posted:

This literally turned into a non-issue for me after my first weapon broke and I was aware it was even a thing.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Xoidanor posted:

This literally turned into a non-issue for me after my first weapon broke and I was aware it was even a thing.

On the other hand, my weapon (Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword) broke so loving often due to degradation being tied to framerate AND corpses doing extra durability damage that I actually had to go and limit my framerate to 30 FPS just to make things slightly better.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I understand ToiletLord's problem with dodging - his gripe is with the fact that there's no dodge button, per se, but there is dodging. As in, pressing X won't do poo poo unless the X prompt pops up on screen just as the enemy attacks and you mash it quick enough to see a dodge animation play out. And that's the only time you can dodge.

Yeah, that's annoying.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Morpheus posted:

I understand ToiletLord's problem with dodging - his gripe is with the fact that there's no dodge button, per se, but there is dodging. As in, pressing X won't do poo poo unless the X prompt pops up on screen just as the enemy attacks and you mash it quick enough to see a dodge animation play out. And that's the only time you can dodge.

Yeah, that's annoying.

Thank you for making my ramblings make sense. It's like how in chaos theory? Or whatever the the splinter cell game where if you get a stealth kill you can push a button to essentially qte kill 4 more people automatically it's just out of place, because you don't really have control of your character.

i guess when any major game play element gets turned into a qte event or an unprompted qte, i don't like it when i feel like i don't have full control over my characters actions.

TOILETLORD has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Nov 22, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
What you're looking for is "context-sensitive". Which, yes, is very dumb for something as basic as dodging.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

TOILETLORD posted:

Thank you for making my ramblings make sense. It's like how in chaos theory? Or whatever the the splinter cell game where if you get a stealth kill you can push a button to essentially qte kill 4 more people automatically it's just out of place, because you don't really have control of your character.

i guess when any major game play element gets turned into a qte event or an unprompted qte, i don't like it when i feel like i don't have full control over my characters actions.

For the record, it was Splinter Cell Conviction(and then Blacklist).

Chaos Theory is widely regarded as the best in the series.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Context sensitive dodging was especially bad in RE:Revelations because the instructions for it where incorrect, it gave the impression that you needed to press a button, in reality all you had to do was just hold forward toward your enemy as he was attacking to dodge, once I figured this out dodging became infinitely easier.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

TheSpiritFox posted:

This was the single, only, one problem with Blood Dragon.

Anyone who says otherwise deserves a kick in the nuts. Whether you have a pair or not.
The only problem with Blood Dragon was that it had to end :(

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Who What Now posted:

Jesus Christ, Five Nights at Freddy's 2, could you maybe give me a little bit of time to get acquainted with you before Zerg rushing me with 11 killer robots?

The game really does just throw robots at you like crazy. You may as well pretend the other rooms don't exist, just your office and the room with the music box. Check right vent, check left vent, flash your light down the hall, wind music box. That isn't creepy, the only fear is the jumpscares when you die and after a point you just stop being scared by it.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Leal posted:

The game really does just throw robots at you like crazy. You may as well pretend the other rooms don't exist, just your office and the room with the music box. Check right vent, check left vent, flash your light down the hall, wind music box. That isn't creepy, the only fear is the jumpscares when you die and after a point you just stop being scared by it.

An accurate simulation of FNaF2:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Party Finder in FFXIV. Half the people have never done the fights and are practicing and are generally cool. Then there is everyone else.

These are people I have no idea even managed to make it to max level or gear up without paying real money to get someone else to do it for them. There's two fights that absolutely need the two people tanking to switch spots and use certain skills to do that. You normally would make a macro to make a sound and notify the other tank that hey, I used my skill; please stop attacking and switch spots! Nobody does. In fact, they get angry at you because oh my god guys sometimes the macro doesn't go off because my sausage fingers keep smashing every keyboard button and interrupts it. Yeah sure they could actually write the macro code correctly so it won't allow you to use any other skills in those 1-2 seconds so it'll go off properly but why bother! Half the team hosed off and died anyway!

They just can't stop bashing their loving keyboards into oblivion long enough to let a one second skill go off. I'm not a goddamn mind reader.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Alteisen posted:

Context sensitive dodging was especially bad in RE:Revelations because the instructions for it where incorrect, it gave the impression that you needed to press a button, in reality all you had to do was just hold forward toward your enemy as he was attacking to dodge, once I figured this out dodging became infinitely easier.

your making GBS threads me that's what i did wrong for 3 play throughs?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TOILETLORD posted:

I guess? :v:

But yea, just hold forward and you'll dodge right through it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

TOILETLORD posted:

I did the same. I don't know what happened to cause players to be told the wrong thing to do to dodge, but there it is.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I did the same. I don't know what happened to cause players to be told the wrong thing to do to dodge, but there it is.

There's actually two evades. Forward and back + X. The latter one evades and spins you 180 for a quick getaway.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
Whelp while i'm here, the shotguns all of them suck in the campaign in re:revelations. They balanced all the weapons around you having them with a +80% to +100% damage mod on your weapons.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I love Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance so much that I may need to seek counseling, but I'm not afraid to admit that the parry/dodge mechanic feels a little janky. This sucks, because so far it's the only thing that lets me survive Revengeance difficulty.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Screaming Idiot posted:

I love Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance so much that I may need to seek counseling, but I'm not afraid to admit that the parry/dodge mechanic feels a little janky. This sucks, because so far it's the only thing that lets me survive Revengeance difficulty.

Janky in what way?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
It's too dependent on enemy positioning for my tastes. I would have preferred a straight-up "guard" button instead, but that's just my opinion.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I've been playing Endless Legends lately as a break from Civ V, and while it does a lot of things right, it also has some really annoying things about it. I'm also really new to the game, so many of these things could easily be circumvented through strategy or design that I simply don't know about.

1. The computer flat out cheats. I know this is a 4X game, and that the computer needs to cheat to even stand a chance against a human player, but there's a line for everything. I was playing a game last night where I started right next to an enemies starting town, so I decided to rush them. When I got there with my army they only had two militia units in their town. I wipe the first unit out in the first attack, and lo and behold, when I attacked them again next turn they had instantly regenerated the first unit. That's rear end and I know for a fact that you can't do that.

So I decided to simply sit outside their capital and kill any settler unit that they produce. This this game, unlike Civ, you have to sacrifice a population unit to make a settler. Well, three killed settlers later, their city still hasn't dropped a population point.

2. The AI is aggressive as gently caress. In this game the default diplomatic relation isn't peace, it's Cold War. In this mode you can freely attack other players in neutral territory without declaring war. In practice this is a cool idea, but if you run into a computer player in these neutral territories then you can bet your rear end that they're going to attack you.

3. The final gripe I have with this game is that you can only have one city per territory. The map is sectioned off into different territories which you can settle and you can only have one city per territory. The problem is that your cities only work the hexes that immediately surround them. Which means that if you put your city down in a spot that you think is good, and then you find an even better spot later you're poo poo out of luck.

It's still a great game, and I really like it, I just want my game to be perfect!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Screaming Idiot posted:

It's too dependent on enemy positioning for my tastes. I would have preferred a straight-up "guard" button instead, but that's just my opinion.

The game is pretty much designed around positioning anyway. This is very apparent in boss fights like Blade Wolf, Monsoon that deliberately attempt to trick into parrying wrong direction

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Party Finder in FFXIV. Half the people have never done the fights and are practicing and are generally cool. Then there is everyone else.

These are people I have no idea even managed to make it to max level or gear up without paying real money to get someone else to do it for them. There's two fights that absolutely need the two people tanking to switch spots and use certain skills to do that. You normally would make a macro to make a sound and notify the other tank that hey, I used my skill; please stop attacking and switch spots! Nobody does. In fact, they get angry at you because oh my god guys sometimes the macro doesn't go off because my sausage fingers keep smashing every keyboard button and interrupts it. Yeah sure they could actually write the macro code correctly so it won't allow you to use any other skills in those 1-2 seconds so it'll go off properly but why bother! Half the team hosed off and died anyway!

They just can't stop bashing their loving keyboards into oblivion long enough to let a one second skill go off. I'm not a goddamn mind reader.

To be frank, I haven't encountered a single tank swap mechanic that actually requires any sort of communication. Even Ramuh Extreme can be done simply by focus targeting the other tank so you can constantly follow the state of his stacks. I don't bother with macros because it doesn't take a lot of effort to keep an eye on swaps.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

To be frank, I haven't encountered a single tank swap mechanic that actually requires any sort of communication. Even Ramuh Extreme can be done simply by focus targeting the other tank so you can constantly follow the state of his stacks. I don't bother with macros because it doesn't take a lot of effort to keep an eye on swaps.

Yeah most of the time I don't in parties that know what they're doing, but I think with the release of Ninja the last patch we got a huge influx of idiots. It doesn't help that apparently I'm on a huge RP server as well. The last fight I was in before I finally uninstalled the game the other tank asked "what's tankswapping?" before dying horribly for 30 minutes straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I'm not a prude or anything, but in Grand Theft Auto 5 there's way, way too much swearing. I get that it's Grand Theft Auto and violence, bad language, and dirty humor are all par for the course. When it's every other word it feels cheap and try-too-hard, and it's really grating.