Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I find the 249 easier in regards to recoil, but the RPK hits harder for sure. Also, can I get invited to the Steam Group? Thronde is the name, here's a link to my profile to be sure/make it easy:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988649565/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Two more keys here:

edit: and gone!

Ledenko fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 26, 2014

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You know, this is one of the first modern military shooters I've played in a decade where I actually like the m16. The sights don't block too much of the screen, and since you kill with one or two shots, I don't mind just using semi-auto. According to the numbers posted on the insurgency wikia, the m16 and m4 actually do slightly more damage than the AK or SKS.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I do feel like the 5.56 rounds kill faster, but the 7.62/.308 chambers penetrate walls and cover better. Especially with AP rounds.

Speaking of, It seems (Playing on a goofy modded server anyway) that AP is the way to go for the majority of door-kicking. The ability to take out targets through stuco walls and tin siding and fences seems to far outweigh the HP ammo, any truth to that or is it just the way it seems?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I always roll with AP ammo for that reason. Being able to blow through cover is one of the biggest advantages you can have in this game.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, it feels pretty good to kill someone after they try to hide behind some crap wall and think they're completely safe.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

I always roll with AP ammo for that reason. Being able to blow through cover is one of the biggest advantages you can have in this game.

AP ammo is honestly such a must-buy that I wish they'd remove it from the game.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
Supposedly HP ammo does more damage to limbs than the AP ammo does, so it's good to use in spray-and-pray full-auto weapons, where you're more likely to hit the arms and legs. It's still hard to pass up AP...

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The RPK is even better, since it's ridiculously easy to control on full auto and doesn't need optics.

Sadly, for balance reasons, the RPK has more recoil than the AKM, even without a foregrip.

Goredema posted:

Supposedly HP ammo does more damage to limbs than the AP ammo does, so it's good to use in spray-and-pray full-auto weapons, where you're more likely to hit the arms and legs. It's still hard to pass up AP...

It's also a war crime!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Armour Piercing Rounds are ridiculous in this and it's fantastic, people get so upset when I kill them through a wall or a floor. :allears:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dvsilverwing posted:

Sadly, for balance reasons, the RPK has more recoil than the AKM, even without a foregrip.

But less recoil than the M249 when fired full auto (because it has a lower rate of fire), which is the point of comparison here.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 27, 2014

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Could I get a group invite? http://steamcommunity.com/id/Phraggah/

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
The Steam group never took off and is basically dead, if someone wants to take over admin of it and get some events going, PM me. Right now I'm personally too busy to bother with resuscitating it.

I think people have been using Mumble and organizing on Camping The Stairs though.

Goredema posted:

HP does more damage to unarmored areas, not just limbs. Limbs just aren't covered by armor, and most people use armor.

And yeah, it's a war crime to use it, ha. I always take AP though just for the cover penetration. HP isn't really worth the points unless you've gotten the rest of your gadgets and such, and even then you have to assume that other players also have enough points to start fielding heavy armor. So does it make sense to give up cover penetration for the chance at random limb shots? Probably not.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 27, 2014

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'll just leave this here, poo poo's worth sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC5BGFGnMQU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LogisticEarth posted:

And yeah, it's a war crime to use it, ha. I always take AP though just for the cover penetration. HP isn't really worth the points unless you've gotten the rest of your gadgets and such, and even then you have to assume that other players also have enough points to start fielding heavy armor. So does it make sense to give up cover penetration for the chance at random limb shots? Probably not.

The ammo types really don't make sense in this game. There's no world in which HP is worth an extra point compared to AP since armour is so plentiful and you don't generally go out of your way to target limbs (never mind the fact that it's pretty counterintuitive to go for limbs to kill faster anyway), and AP doing extra damage through armour means that there's basically no situation in which you don't want AP. I would much rather they remove AP/HP entirely to remove the false choice.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Still waiting on a group invite (though perhaps I forgot to ask in the first place)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/hexenritter/

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I actually use HP for the first part of a match when on security. Most of the people I see at the start of the round don't look to be wearing armor, probably because it costs significantly more for insurgents than security. AP probably is better overall, but I haven't gotten the hang of shooting through cover yet. No killspam and no hit markers makes it trickier than in CoD4, where I could just follow someone through the walls with the hit markers.

How many shots does it usually take through a wall? Is it like 3 or 4, or still 1 or 2?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Are hollow point rifle rounds really even a thing? I figured that was more of a pistol caliber thing, and rifle rounds are generally just pointy and armor-penetrator-y.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Thump! posted:

Are hollow point rifle rounds really even a thing? I figured that was more of a pistol caliber thing, and rifle rounds are generally just pointy and armor-penetrator-y.

Yessir.

Edit: those are AK rounds

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The US military even uses some in 5.56, officially because of some aerodynamic wizardry I don't understand with the boat-tailed (tapering at the rear) hollow point shape. They're also popular for hunting or home defense with civilians.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The US military even uses some in 5.56, officially because of some aerodynamic wizardry I don't understand with the boat-tailed (tapering at the rear) hollow point shape. They're also popular for hunting or home defense with civilians.

There's something about the tiny divot on the end of a conical shaped projectile that causes it to create an air bubble at the front that something something *trails off* *backs out of the room*

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

:buddy: Neat, thanks!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

DoombatINC posted:

Yessir.

Edit: those are AK rounds

Ah, my sweet, sweet Wolf. It's the only thing I feed to Svetlana, my SKS.

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You know, this is one of the first modern military shooters I've played in a decade where I actually like the m16. The sights don't block too much of the screen, and since you kill with one or two shots, I don't mind just using semi-auto. According to the numbers posted on the insurgency wikia, the m16 and m4 actually do slightly more damage than the AK or SKS.

I've found that a number of situations in Insurgency warrant the use of fully-automatic weapons. If I'm security I'll usually use Mk18 for this reason, it's a great weapon for clearing rooms.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My experience with rooms full of people has been that I have less of a problem with ROF than seeing and aiming at the next guy before he shoots me. Or do you just spray down the room with AP from the outside?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEH_70hMwCk

This is amazing.

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My experience with rooms full of people has been that I have less of a problem with ROF than seeing and aiming at the next guy before he shoots me. Or do you just spray down the room with AP from the outside?

AP is pretty handy, but obviously it costs 2 supply. So I'll use AP on certain maps, and won't bother on others. I think I'm just quite partial to high ROF to be honest, the suppression mechanic works really well with an automatic weapon if you're ever in a tough spot, and I can always use semi-auto when needed. I think the only real issue I have with the Mk18 is that it's more expensive than the m16.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Dravinski posted:

I've found that a number of situations in Insurgency warrant the use of fully-automatic weapons. If I'm security I'll usually use Mk18 for this reason, it's a great weapon for clearing rooms.

The Mk 18 is good, but the UMP or similar are OK also. Really it depends on the class. Anything automatic is great if you want to keep up suppression fire. Weapon damage/stopping power is kind of a secondary concern, as your best bet on killing dudez is to get the drop on them in the first place. Pistol-caliber weapons can be tricky against armored targets but if you're spamming bullets at the guy, not all will hit armor and you'll likely get a kill anyway. I often run with the UMP as security and do just fine. Insurgents get the AKM for free for nearly every class, so no worries about having to forgo rifle caliber weapons there.

Screw anyone who takes the Mk 18 instead of the M249 when playing the Security Support class though. The SAW is a beast, and often vitally important when it comes to laying down suppression.

Dravinski posted:

AP is pretty handy, but obviously it costs 2 supply. So I'll use AP on certain maps, and won't bother on others. I think I'm just quite partial to high ROF to be honest, the suppression mechanic works really well with an automatic weapon if you're ever in a tough spot, and I can always use semi-auto when needed. I think the only real issue I have with the Mk18 is that it's more expensive than the m16.

AP is a nice bonus, but "standard" rounds are usually enough to do the job and have some decent cover penetration as well. The only time I prioritize AP rounds is when playing support. The extra penetration is often essential to get the most out of the suppression effect, as well as get all those sweet lucky kills while spamming enemy positions.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I just played after taking a an absence and there's still adding stuff to the game.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I tend to use either the recently added AK variant of a silence AK74U.

On Sec I use the MP5 mostly. Sometimes the UMP.

I'm still getting used to some of the updates. Hate how they added so many night maps/variants now. My favorite servers are pretty much %100 night maps and that poo poo gets old quick.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I tend to use either the recently added AK variant of a silence AK74U.

On Sec I use the MP5 mostly. Sometimes the UMP.

I'm still getting used to some of the updates. Hate how they added so many night maps/variants now. My favorite servers are pretty much %100 night maps and that poo poo gets old quick.

I agree. The night maps would be better if NVGs didn't suck so much.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
The tire fires scattered around the night maps and any tossed smoke grenades makes spotting targets with the NVGs more challenging due to how distracting the washout on the goggles are when either is in view.

Sinjar night is pretty cool in that you can see the explosion effects that the A-10 causes in the background with your NVGs.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Why the hell does the smoke glow anyway? I imagine WP smoke is warm, but the NVGs in the game are light amplification, not IR thermals.

e; vv herp.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 29, 2014

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Why the hell does the smoke glow anyway? I imagine WP smoke is warm, but the NVGs in the game are light amplification, not IR.

That's literally how NVGs work; they amplify light by looking at parts of the spectrum invisible to the naked eye (infrared).

Edit: near-infrared, not infrared itself.

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 29, 2014

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it me or do shotguns suck? I can never kill anyone with a single shot and i'm almost always dead by the time the second shot is ready.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

That's literally how NVGs work; they amplify light by looking at parts of the spectrum invisible to the naked eye (infrared).

Edit: near-infrared, not infrared itself.

I think he means the difference between active and passive IR. Active will illuminate poo poo up to about 20m.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Mans posted:

Is it me or do shotguns suck? I can never kill anyone with a single shot and i'm almost always dead by the time the second shot is ready.

I have the exact opposite experience with them. Just a few nights ago I carried my team in a co-op hunt where all the other players died just 2 bots in so I had to kill that last 20 by myself with my shotgun.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Even the round start music is perfect

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I have the exact opposite experience with them. Just a few nights ago I carried my team in a co-op hunt where all the other players died just 2 bots in so I had to kill that last 20 by myself with my shotgun.

Is there a limit to how many insurgents spawn invade co-op round, or is it until the objective is taken? I have barely played co-op, the team I first tried it with averaged a K/D of about 2:1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Cheeki breeki iv damke!

• Locked thread