Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Morter posted:

It's time for my monthly* check to see if a game is more fun/playable with coop, even though most people pan it.

I'd rather pay three dollars for someone to kick me in the testicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Civ 5 plus all the dlc for $13 is a good deal right?
Best deal.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

tater_salad posted:

So I get like 1-2 hrs maybe once or twice a week to play vidia games.
I've been eyeing bully, sleepy dogs, and driver san fran to scratch my game ADD for a GTA:like game.
which ones are conducive towards my 1-2hrs a session limits.

I typically look for - saving in mission (or out of if the missions are short)
and missions that are fun, have carnage, but dont require 3hrs of investment.
All these are great choices (as would be Saints Row 3/4, as mentioned.) although,

Bully, you're just punching other kids around so not really carnage (you monster)

Driver:SF - you're stuck in the car (or more accurately, you possess people driving the cars - the premise is actually quite bonkers) so all the missions are driving based. Der. (Also uses Uplay, if that's an issue.)

And Sleeping Dogs is pretty great too. But the plotline will probably hook you and you may end up playing more than a few hours at a time.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Everblight posted:

Things that are bad and no one wants are often free.

It's a good thing that neither of those games are bad and a lot of people play them.

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Civ 5 plus all the dlc for $13 is a good deal right?

It's a solid deal but :siren: wait to see if it's a daily. :siren:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Kaubocks posted:

I'd rather pay three dollars for someone to kick me in the testicles.

Wow, do you know where I can get someone to do that that cheaply? I gotta pay upwards of a hundred for that :(

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

Yeah, this. Sleeping Dogs would be the best in the genre if Red Dead Redemption didn't exist. It's tight, it's polished, there's a ton of stuff to do, and the story is actually good.

Like in Indy Jones and the Lost Ark, the dates are bad.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Morter posted:

It's time for my monthly* check to see if a game is more fun/playable with coop, even though most people pan it.

Aliens: Colonial Marines? :v: I know everyone hates it, but I'm being prodded into playing co-op with someone (which I didn't know it had until just now), and not only was it already on my wishlist, but it's only [url=https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/aliens_colonialmarines_storefront]three dollars in the Humble Store

*no it isn't

I would put decent odds on it being added to the BTA on the ongoing Sega Humble Bundle next week, tbh.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's a solid deal but :siren: wait to see if it's a daily. :siren:

It is a daily. The Beyond Earth image on the front page is supposed to indicate a franchise-wide deal. This kinda thing comes up a lot.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Male Man posted:

It is a daily. The Beyond Earth image on the front page is supposed to indicate a franchise-wide deal. This kinda thing comes up a lot.

The BE banner only sends me to the BE page instead of a Civ franchise page, which I guess is really confusing if it's meant to be a franchise thing.

In that case, $13 is as cheap as it's going and it's a good price if Civ is your cup of tea.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 26, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Any of the DLC for Company of Heroes 2 worth getting?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Like in Indy Jones and the Lost Ark, the dates are bad.

The dates aren't bad, but rather out of nowhere and over before you know it. They're obviously the most rushed part of the game. Luckily everything else about the game is top notch.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Bought Armored Hunter Gunhound EX and made a net profit on trading cards. Thanks, anime games! Looks like the market on 'em is falling out quick, I managed to sell my cards for $1.50 each. Holographics are going for more than ten bucks a pop.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The BE banner only sends me to the BE page instead of a Civ franchise page, which I guess is really confusing if it's meant to be a franchise thing.

It's super unclear, yeah. The franchise vs. single game deal confusion comes up like every sale, and Valve still hasn't worked out a good solution.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Nope! None have story, and are just challenge modes ( hold the point with only riflemen for 30 minutes, kill the entire convoy without any alarms being sounded, etc ). That'd be kind of cool, but more of them end up just being "beat this skirmish on hard with less then 5000 causalities, which eh.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

kazil posted:

Those features are only present during the Summer and Winter sales. This is more of a mini sale.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Male Man posted:

It's super unclear, yeah. The franchise vs. single game deal confusion comes up like every sale, and Valve still hasn't worked out a good solution.

For quite a few of them, if it's a franchise thing, it will send you through to a page that lists all the games in the franchise (which is a good enough solution, I guess). For some reason, they don't do this for BE/Civ. :shrug:

Is there anything else bar Civ and CS that are franchise deals on today's front page?

Flash sales are the 8 hour ones. 24/48 hour deals are just the dailies.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

For quite a few of them, if it's a franchise thing, it will send you through to a page that lists all the games in the franchise (which is a good enough solution, I guess). For some reason, they don't do this for BE/Civ. :shrug:

Is there anything else bar Civ and CS that are franchise deals on today's front page?

Counter-Strike, Company of Heroes, Age of Empires 2/3 and Mythology and Dead Island.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I interpreted his post to be talking about both daily deals and flash sales.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Leper Residue posted:

The dates aren't bad, but rather out of nowhere and over before you know it. They're obviously the most rushed part of the game. Luckily everything else about the game is top notch.

From what I understand, the dates weren't rushed, but heavily cut down. There was supposed to be a whole bunch more with them, the characters were supposed to figure more into the story, but they had to give it the axe for whatever reason.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

I dunno, the bit where you find out whoever is dating someone else and hence ruin his life a bit is questionable.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Crappy Jack posted:

From what I understand, the dates weren't rushed, but heavily cut down. There was supposed to be a whole bunch more with them, the characters were supposed to figure more into the story, but they had to give it the axe for whatever reason.

The game went through development hell. It was originally a true crime game, got cancelled, bought by square enix and brought back to life. The fact that we got any game at all, let alone one this good is a freaking miracle.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Bit of a silly question, but are there any good RPGMaker games on sale? I've got a hankering for some of that old-school stuff.

Alternatively- any so-bad-it's-good RPGMaker games out there? The higher the cringe factor, the better :v:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
is goat simulator actually fun as like a physics gently caress around(and/or more?) or is it just hats on goats?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

is goat simulator actually fun as like a physics gently caress around(and/or more?) or is it just hats on goats?

I fail to see the dilemma there.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It is only a physics gently caress around game, but it does that well enough.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Orv posted:

It is only a physics gently caress around game, but it does that well enough.

OAquinas posted:

I fail to see the dilemma there.

Both valid points, purchased.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Sim City 4 on sale. I'd recommend that highly.

Now I'm sure a lot of you who have played it are thinking ''gently caress SC4 and all the mods to make it sexy''. Well, let me show you the way to the current goon mega pack of mods which probably has every decent mod and dependency as of a month ago.

https://mega.co.nz/#!5ck33KzS!Wq04elB3H7-hyq1O1rdJhzd5Dg2D7eyB-UkIO-909Sg. Its 3.2GB (unzipped), sorry! It's well worth it though.

Buy it. SC4 (with mods) is a lot of fun and will sink hours of your life refining tiny parts of the map to make it sexy.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Away all Goats posted:

Further question: is Company of Heroes 2 itself worth getting? Ie, the base game?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Leper Residue posted:

The game went through development hell. It was originally a true crime game, got cancelled, bought by square enix and brought back to life. The fact that we got any game at all, let alone one this good is a freaking miracle.

Yeah, everyone I know originally said "A True Crime game in Space Year 2012? I think I'm good." and it turned out to be fuckin' amazing, as surely demonstrated by the original SA thread filled with loads of us going "Wait, this is good?" and coming back six hours later to say "Holy poo poo this is great, buy it now GOTY"

Wei Shen, motherfucker.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zephro posted:

Further question: is Company of Heroes 2 itself worth getting? Ie, the base game?

No.

The campaign borders on both offensive and unfun, the multiplayer balance is at best laughable and good luck getting a MP match even if you wanted to.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Zephro posted:

The campaign is extremely offensive ( even to me, the guy who grew up in Poland, loves movies like Enemy at the Gates, and finds the single player of CoD games amusing romps through dumb poo poo ), and the multiplaer is extremely imbalanced. Worse, all the neat mission types you expect from current gen RTS games are gone, replaced by charging machine guns with waves of infantry.

So not really? Unless you really hate Russia.

e: It's the first game I ever played that attempts to paint the Nazis as sympathetic. Not because of the good German myth, but because they were good people for fighting against the evil Russians. THE EVIL RUSSIANS YOU ARE PLAYING AS.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Rookersh posted:

The campaign is extremely offensive ( even to me, the guy who grew up in Poland, loves movies like Enemy at the Gates, and finds the single player of CoD games amusing romps through dumb poo poo ), and the multiplaer is extremely imbalanced. Worse, all the neat mission types you expect from current gen RTS games are gone, replaced by charging machine guns with waves of infantry.

So not really? Unless you really hate Russia.

e: It's the first game I ever played that attempts to paint the Nazis as sympathetic. Not because of the good German myth, but because they were good people for fighting against the evil Russians. THE EVIL RUSSIANS YOU ARE PLAYING AS.
Huh. That's really weird (the Nazi/Russian stuff). Thanks for the advice.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I would say just play CoH 1. It honestly looks nearly as good (sometimes better compared to the white/brown poo poo smeared maps in 2) and plays better :shrug:

Campaign in CoH 1 is actually decent, and probably has same amount of people playing MP (i.e. very little)

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Xaris posted:

I would say just play CoH 1. It honestly looks nearly as good (sometimes better compared to the white/brown) and plays better :shrug:

Campaign in CoH 1 is actually decent, and probably has same amount of people playing MP (i.e. very little)
Yeah, I really enjoyed COH 1. Had high hopes for the sequel, but oh well.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Yeah it was a big letdown. 1 was really amazing for it's time and still looks and plays great. There were plenty of things they could have updated and could have been a good sequel in theory, but... well... they didn't. CoH2 is the game that was made that shouldn't have been made and didn't want to be made. It was a desperate last attempt at cashing out by THQ green-lighting it before they went out of business.

There was no love in it from the devs like the first one (and fair amount of people from Relic who made CoH1 had abandoned ship before then), its basically the same engine and graphics, the sides feel less interesting to play than American vs Wermmacht, and what little they did change is almost universally for the worse.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 26, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'm not getting much in this sale, but my one big recommendation - especially in the wake of Sonic Boom being hellaciously awful - is Freedom Planet. It's pretty much Exhibit A in any case to be made for Sega just giving the franchise to fans. It's half off right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMEmcVRNZvI

It's clearly Sonic-inspired in part (especially the characters), but it's kinda like Shovel Knight in that it's the best elements of the best Genesis platformers all mashed into one. There's a lot of Sparkster (melee-focused combat, rechargeable air-dash), Ristar and even Gunstar Heroes in there. Also like Shovel Knight, it has super catchy music.

If you're allergic to goofy saturday morning cartoon voicework and cutscenes, there's even a no-story mode, so everybody wins.

Despite not selling so hot and almost no reviewers even giving it the time of day, it has one of the highest user ratings on Steam. Something like 99% of the 550-ish reviews so far are positive. People like it. I think you will too.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Bought Armored Hunter Gunhound EX and made a net profit on trading cards.

Gunhound is pretty rad, too! Kinda like a more arcadey version of Cybernator/Assault Suits Valken. Pretty good blend of fast movement and stompy mecha combat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dominic White posted:

I'm not getting much in this sale, but my one big recommendation - especially in the wake of Sonic Boom being hellaciously awful - is Freedom Planet. It's pretty much Exhibit A in any case to be made for Sega just giving the franchise to fans. It's half off right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMEmcVRNZvI

It's clearly Sonic-inspired in part (especially the characters), but it's kinda like Shovel Knight in that it's the best elements of the best Genesis platformers all mashed into one. There's a lot of Sparkster (melee-focused combat, rechargeable air-dash), Ristar and even Gunstar Heroes in there. Also like Shovel Knight, it has super catchy music.

If you're allergic to goofy saturday morning cartoon voicework and cutscenes, there's even a no-story mode, so everybody wins.

Despite not selling so hot and almost no reviewers even giving it the time of day, it has one of the highest user ratings on Steam. Something like 99% of the 550-ish reviews so far are positive. People like it. I think you will too.

And it's 8 bucks right now. Personally you just sold me on it 100%!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Death Skid Marks is fun.

Drive 666km to a concert and on the way have some kinda mad max vehicle combat, pick up a variety of hitchhikers to fight, take drugs or win at russian roulette to upgrade their stats and fight groupies in a variety of tanks.

Also you can eat poutine.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 27, 2014

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Bit of a silly question, but are there any good RPGMaker games on sale? I've got a hankering for some of that old-school stuff.

Alternatively- any so-bad-it's-good RPGMaker games out there? The higher the cringe factor, the better :v:

Star Stealing Prince is free, but not on Steam, and awesome. Skyborn is okish and on Steam. Homework Salesman isn't finished yet, but it's a lot of fun, and also free, but not on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllLuckySevens
Oct 15, 2012
How can I tell what a daily deal is and what isn't? The app has no indicator that there's a seasonal sale in the first place, and the desktop site isn't much help. Also, are there rotating deals?

• Locked thread