Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

MrCinos posted:

Whish is really not the case. Voidman seems to be much stronger than other villains in the group. Not counting handyman.
I guess I should've been more specific, and it's also the case that the theory doesn't quite hold because there's a difference in enemy number per group. Still, with the way the villains have been introduced...

There are too many villains at the moment to really individualize most of them. The ones that have been given an identity (void guy and hands) have done so by suggesting significantly more power than the others. However, the remaining villains which don't have a real identity will all be assumed to have equivalent power. Basically, if Hands is number 1 and Void is 2 for comparison's, the reader will not draw a real distinction between 5 and 30 at the moment (unless given an actual numerical scale that's directly related to overall power as I just did).

In short, the reader lacks information and also has some reason to believe that some of the upcoming information won't matter in the long run (in other words, some of the villains may be defeated and thus their relative power won't have future significance) so the reader is already mentally prepared to send some of them into the rabble category. By comparison, it's more likely (at least in a reader's eyes) that the heroes will all survive and be given further development, thus they matter more.

I could go on about theory having to do with the reader's interaction and exploration with new material, but eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Twiddy posted:

Assuming good writing (ah who am I kidding, of course it is) that's probably because it's the best split for narrative reasons. All the villains are assumed to be equivalently powerful in the eyes of the reader, while the heroes are assumed to have a currently unknown hierarchy in power. By extension, the weaker members (as of the moment) will have to use numbers to defeat the enemy that only takes one fire//ice dude to handle. From there, it's obvious that the weaker members will be less confident and more frightened of the opposition, while the stronger members will be a lot more confident.

I hope this is accurate because it then follows that Tsuyu is one of the strongest in the group.

Tsuyu also has the advantage of being in her element, surrounded by water and stuff, but yeah. Despite placing in the bottom half of Aizawa's test she seems pretty capable. That works for Deku too really; he's not quite as composed as Tsuyu, but he's also the one making the declaration that they need to fight, matching his powerful but uncontrolled and dangerous quirk.

Topic of the villains, I really want to see the hand guy do something besides stand there and bemoan how annoying everything is (though him being this perpetually-simmering pot of rage is pretty amusing to me in its own way). The void gentleman is putting on an impressive showing and has Aizawa pegging him as the biggest threat, while the mooks are getting taken out by Aizawa alone, but we haven't gotten to see the hand guy or the weird... Brain thing in action yet, and they're the other two "big" villains, what with them being the three we keep getting to see. Though, brainy guy's gotten far less focus than the other two so far; shared panels and the one solo panel at the start of this chapter are all he gets. I wonder if he's going to end up less important, or if it's just because he isn't quite as chatty as the other two.

Man, rereading this, Aizawa's pretty great too. "Oho, can you erase my quirk too?" "Nope." And he just punches the guy in the face instead. Eraserhead rocks. Kind of wondering where No. 13 disappeared to, though; we don't get a shot of him after the groups are scattered, even as Aizawa is facing off against the hoard of villains and hand guy continues to do nothing. Is he the true source of the void guy, maybe? On the one hand it'd go against what he's stated about his power, but on the other it'd explain how the thing just manifested there before and moved around so fast to intercept the group. Its face kind of matches his helmet too, what with the two white spots amid the black.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

MrCinos posted:

Why would you assume that? Voidman seems to be much stronger than other villains in the group (excluding their leader of course). I doubt other villains are equal as well. Though those which will be of no importance (aka fodders) are probably on the same level, just like any numerous group of characters who aren't relevant enough to get a name.
You're right, I'm not assuming that overall. I am probably assuming a larger number of fodder villains than you though, because we've been introduced to so many at once. Unless this conflict in specific goes on for a real long time or a significant number of these villains survive and come back to have more development, it's expected for most to be fodder of equivalent level.

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011

Twiddy posted:

I am probably assuming a larger number of fodder villains than you though, because we've been introduced to so many at once. Unless this conflict in specific goes on for a real long time or a significant number of these villains survive and come back to have more development, it's expected for most to be fodder of equivalent level.
You are probably right, aside from handyman/voidman there's only bulky brain villain who seems to be in some sort of a spotlight so far.

---
Nice expressions:

and such faithful depiction of Grapeboy...

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Uraraka's costume really makes her look like a Mega Man X character to me. I think its the boots, mostly

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Man, whoever's making that fanart is on their game. Except for all the compromising angles, but, Japan, I guess.

VP's power looks neat as heck and I'm excited to see what her mini-team there can do. I really like plug-ear girl's design too.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

Man, whoever's making that fanart is on their game. Except for all the compromising angles, but, Japan, I guess.

VP's power looks neat as heck and I'm excited to see what her mini-team there can do. I really like plug-ear girl's design too.

I thought that was from the actual artist's twitter.

Also you know poo poo just got real because the short kid isn't checking out anyone's chest in that final panel. He's even doing it in the color spread at the beginning.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tsuyu is the best.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Radish posted:

I thought that was from the actual artist's twitter.

Also you know poo poo just got real because the short kid isn't checking out anyone's chest in that final panel. He's even doing it in the color spread at the beginning.

Looks like it's from pixiv. The mangka's twitter doesn't have it, but there are neat sketches.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 26, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

Looks like it's from pixiv. The mangka's twitter doesn't have it, but there are neat sketches.

Ok, gotcha. It looked really similar to the Tsuyu ones that someone posted earlier that were supposed to be from there so I assumed. I agree it is neat either way.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Yeah the Tsuyu one was presumably from the same artist. Good poo poo either way.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

MrCinos posted:

You are probably right, aside from handyman/voidman there's only bulky brain villain who seems to be in some sort of a spotlight so far.

---
Nice expressions:

and such faithful depiction of Grapeboy...

Grapeboy will always be there to ogle the nearest butt and/or breasts. I love just how utterly blasé he is about it. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

kidcoelacanth posted:

That's actually not the Kohei Horikoshi's pixiv! That's some other fanartist. I happen to follow his pixiv, and it's only got a few things -- mostly just awesome colorings of stuff!

Grapeboy is my favorite side-character so far. :allears:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Radish posted:

Ok, gotcha. It looked really similar to the Tsuyu ones that someone posted earlier that were supposed to be from there so I assumed. I agree it is neat either way.

Both this and the Tsuyu set of sketches are done by a (really good) fanartist. The mangaka's pixiv is a different one.

e:f;b

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

That's actually not the Kohei Horikoshi's pixiv! That's some other fanartist. I happen to follow his pixiv, and it's only got a few things -- mostly just awesome colorings of stuff!

Grapeboy is my favorite side-character so far. :allears:

No I know it's not his, it's definitely fanart. You can pick out some stylistic differences. The fanartist is drat good at copying style though.

Anyway, I couldn't help myself and went through the raws a while back. I don't want to say too much but god drat am I jazzed for these translations to come out.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Twiddy posted:

So because of the Square-Cube Law and how it relates to Spiders and Spider-Man, does Frog-Girl just have a moderate, but not significant, boost in strength and stamina? I hope the answer is yes. Or hell, just give her spidey-strength boost. Who cares.

The Square-Cube Law has never existed in comics and double especially doesn't apply to super powers. She's probably going to be powerly related to frogs on a ratio only slightly more stringent than Spider-Man is to spiders.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
But it will still be more reasonable than the super-strong guy that claimed to have the proportional strength and toughness of a walrus.

I'd say that it's best to assume that whenever anyone says that they have some kind of animal powers, just go with it, otherwise you're gonna find so many holes.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Gyges posted:

The Square-Cube Law has never existed in comics and double especially doesn't apply to super powers. She's probably going to be powerly related to frogs on a ratio only slightly more stringent than Spider-Man is to spiders.
Uh... I mean, it doesn't exist in comics exactly, but the origin of Spider-Man's power is the Square-Cube Law. Spiders are stronger proportional to their size because of the Square-Cube Law, and that is the justification for Spider-Man gaining strength, because he is proportionally larger than a spider so he should be that much proportionally stronger. The resulting strength increase comes from a violation of the Square-Cube Law, but the resulting super power is very much drawn from the interconnection between the Square-Cube Law and spiders and spiders to Spider-Man. It doesn't have to exist in a universe to have an affect, it just has to be part of the interplay between the fiction and reality.

Basically if the Square-Cube Law didn't exist then spiders wouldn't be proportionally stronger for their size and one of Spider-Man's powers wouldn't be super strength. Also the world would implode on itself but y'know, that comes with loving with reality.

Woah what does this have to do with your post... Oh yeah in reality frogs aren't noted for being that much stronger in proportion to their size, and this is a result of the Square-Cube Law not giving them that illusion of super strength (also body structure and stuff). Thus, it would be slightly weird if Frog-Girl was given super strength akin to Spider-Man's, because frogs aren't known for their proportional strength to the same degree that spiders are. Because Frogs aren't as strong as spiders proportional to their size because the Square-Cube Law exists. Thus frogs aren't well known for super strength.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 26, 2014

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Grapeboy was funny when he was just photo-bombing panels. Now that he's in the actions (and absolutely terrified of it), he's hilarious!

Tsuyu's the best though. She'd better not croak!

YourHealthyColon
Nov 21, 2013
I don' really know a whole lotta bout none of this fancy math stuffs but my guess is that being a frog-human she will be good at jumping and have a long sticky tongue but not be exceptionally strong otherwise unless the plot demands it

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Sindai posted:

Do we know what the vice-presidents quirk is yet? Looks like she can form stuff out of her body, or store stuff in it.

It looks like she produces weapons from her body.

These next few bits are looking to be cool; we're gonna get to see everyone's powers on display. In particular, I'm wondering what is up with the girl with the arms coming out of her ears.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Momo can produce anything outta organic materials by pulling'em out of her body. Since this affords quite a bit of leeway if you know your material science (and apparently she does), she can produce pretty much anything.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 26, 2014

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tsuyu ends up being a solid jumper, though.

E:fb I really need to refresh more often

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Didn't she have a 5.something time in the dash from her jumping ability?

EDIT: 5.58 seconds, if anyone was curious.

FH_Meta fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 26, 2014

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
So... what does Grapeboy even do? It seems like in this situation they've got Tsuyu as their main powerhouse because she's in her element, one mmmmmmaybe two bursts from Deku, and whatever Grapes does.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
If there was one shonen that's prime for Trigger to adapt this would be it. The art style clicks so well with their past works and style.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Is that an actual color spread or just colored fanart? Why would gravity girl have dark hair when its never colored in?

The Lord of Hats posted:

So... what does Grapeboy even do? It seems like in this situation they've got Tsuyu as their main powerhouse because she's in her element, one mmmmmmaybe two bursts from Deku, and whatever Grapes does.

He was doing those back and forth sprints so fast that it made his grape head bounce around on the ground.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hey, now I remember why she seemed so familiar.

She's basically Animal Crossing's Isabelle.

I'd find a better pic but holy poo poo google is showing some really vile search results.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

Is that an actual color spread or just colored fanart? Why would gravity girl have dark hair when its never colored in?

Yeah that's the actual spread. As for why: manga logic I guess?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Meme Emulator posted:

Her hair is actually brown, but for some reason manga rarely colors brown hair.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

AfroSquirrel posted:

Tsuyu's the best though. She'd better not croak!

kero

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm kind of wondering if this isn't going to end up with Deku asking Eraserhead to teach him martial arts, to supplement his powers for as long as he needs it. While it wouldn't be as great as on someone who can erase quirks, it'd make him a credible threat to some villains without having to worry about breaking a finger or arm every time he has to fight.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm kind of wondering if this isn't going to end up with Deku asking Eraserhead to teach him martial arts, to supplement his powers for as long as he needs it. While it wouldn't be as great as on someone who can erase quirks, it'd make him a credible threat to some villains without having to worry about breaking a finger or arm every time he has to fight.

Given that this is a superhero school I imagine martial arts is going to be a big part of the curriculum in the first place. So unless poo poo goes south real quick you'd figure that Deku learning how to fight would be a given.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

The Lord of Hats posted:

But if he uses individual fingers+his hands, he's got 12 shots. Would it be hilarious if he went "gently caress you!" while using the middle fingers?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Mraagvpeine posted:

But if he uses individual fingers+his hands, he's got 12 shots. Would it be hilarious if he went "gently caress you!" while using the middle fingers?

He's got toes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm pretty sure Deku is already a capable martial artist. It's why he survived more than two seconds against Bakugou, and was implied to be part of his training regime with All Might to get him ready for All for One.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Honestly, Deku should just rock out in his gym uniform or some variation of it. I think some of his color art has him basically wearing that and a Kamen Rider scarf?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Soylentbits posted:

He's got toes.
Oh god! What if his extra bone in his toe actually makes a difference when he use his toe to attack? Please make it happen, Horikoshi! :aaaaa:

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
I understood it that the grapes on Grape's head were his power. Sticky, bouncy, removable, and most important of all, throwable.

Granted, I'm not sure what his limit is, but I think it was a good amount given the side jump test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just had the worst thought about a future anime adaptation. If it had come out in a time when 4Kids could license it, they'd probably make Tsuyu French, being a frog.