Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

Looks like the trailer will definitely be online on Friday: https://twitter.com/starwars/status/537726713753382913

Remembering to have realistic expectations. It's just a teaser and won't show anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I said come in! posted:

Remembering to have realistic expectations.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

How long does it take to pan over a desert to a fallen AT-AT, then have Beard Luke turn around and cut to black with a lightsaber sound. Would that be 88 seconds

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

oddium posted:

How long does it take to pan over a desert to a fallen AT-AT, then have Beard Luke turn around and cut to black with a lightsaber sound. Would that be 88 seconds

No, you also have to get Luke to say "Hell, it's about time."

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

oddium posted:

Hard to say, because the duration is dependant on at least 3 variables:

the size of the desert
the speed of the camera pan
the length of the beard

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It shows a scene where Luke comes out of exile, and it involves him shaving with his lightsaber.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
When he's finished, he checks his reflection in a chromed out storm trooper helmet, looks to camera, and says "groovy".

Que Dick Dale

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
88 seconds is actually a drat long time for a commercial. Even if they flash a bunch of logos and slow burn into the title they will still be showing a fair amount of footage. Expecting one long hard to identify cut interspersed with a number of quick ones. The long one will center on a set we have already seen. Short ones will flash by fast enough that even obsessive pausing won't reveal much. At least one old school actor and one new one will get a close up. John Williams already recorded music under very little dialog. And I will download and install stupid iTunes just to see it.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

hhhat posted:

And I will download and install stupid iTunes just to see it.

Or wait literally minutes before it is ripped and uploaded to every single news / media / youtube style website in the world.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

You don't need to install iTunes. iTunes Trailers is just a website: http://trailers.apple.com/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Holy cow. Doesn't anyone remember when that was THE site for movie trailers? Buncha youngins in here. :corsair:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Holy cow. Doesn't anyone remember when that was THE site for movie trailers? Buncha youngins in here. :corsair:

And to bring this full circle, I believe it all started with The Phantom Menace teaser.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Diabolik900 posted:

And to bring this full circle, I believe it all started with The Phantom Menace teaser.

I don't know if that the first trailer to go up on that site but it was definitely one of the first. I remember trying to get cracks for QT Pro so I could save the video to my computer.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I remember when all my trailers were QuickTime. I also remember downloading a 20 MB version of the phantom menace trailer using a modem overnight.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I'm just going to go ahead and get this out of the way.ntrailer isn't out yet but I've already got my :goo say: out of the way.

Trailer is poo poo. Movie will be poo poo. The CGI was incredibly lackluster and the small out of context pieces of dialogue were garbage. The lasers didn't move realistically. Light sabers? Seriously? In 2014? That poo poo is so old I can't believe it. No new ideas, just rehashes. Crying for more practical effects. Bad trailer. Boo.

There. I just wrote the next 60 pages of this thread.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

The movie is kinda cool but I'm not able to enjoy it to it's fullest since I'm not 12 years old anymore. Instead of having the innocent and wondrous worldview of a child I am now middle-aged, balding, fat and riddled with emotional troubles that arise from adulthood and this movie painfully reminds me of my inability to no longer enjoy things. One out of five stars.

PS1 Hagrid fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 27, 2014

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Here's my review:

As I accelerate towards 40, I am filled with increasing bitterness and self-loathing as I watch my friends grow up, have families and succeed, leaving me far behind. As my only comforts are nostalgia for my childhood, fantasy escapism, and video games, I can only be filled with feelings of frothing rage and betrayal when the trailer for the latest Star Wars movie doesn't fill my broken, jaded adult mind with the same sense of hopeful joy for the future that I had as a child. I wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

A bunch of loving Jedis in this thread.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

oddium posted:

I saw Interstellar in IMAX and I specifically remember seeing trailers for Fast 7, Avengers 2, and Hobbit 3 before it

Whoa this is me three hours ago.

edit: also most teasers are :60 so this will have a lot of content I'm thinking.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

FUCKKHJKHJKHK

IT DROPPED EARLY

http://youtu.be/s1vN2GNVPlE

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Holy poo poo, that was incredible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

All my hopes and dreams have lead up to this.

I was not disappointed.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Here's my review:

As I accelerate towards 40, I am filled with increasing bitterness and self-loathing as I watch my friends grow up, have families and succeed, leaving me far behind. As my only comforts are nostalgia for my childhood, fantasy escapism, and video games, I can only be filled with feelings of frothing rage and betrayal when the trailer for the latest Star Wars movie doesn't fill my broken, jaded adult mind with the same sense of hopeful joy for the future that I had as a child. I wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up.

Also Carrie Fisher isn't hot anymore therefore the girl who friendzoned me isn't really worth it.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

You don't need to install iTunes. iTunes Trailers is just a website: http://trailers.apple.com/

Whatever. I went to that site and I still have to install Quicktime to watch something.
It was cool back when nobody else could encode and/or stream HD video online. YouTube me plz.

Edit: tried to install Web plugin now because I know the server will get hammered tomorrow. The one they have up is missing a file in its archive. Whoops!

hhhat fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 27, 2014

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Too short, he didn't even

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Here's my review:

:lol: if this is actually true even tho its meant as a joke.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

This is an even newer trailer leak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etwJnVBHy9c

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I am questioning the realism of that shaky cam

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I'm enjoying all these fake trailers more than I could possibly enjoy the real trailer.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

HIJK posted:

I am questioning the verisimilitude of that shaky cam

fixed that for you.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm starting to agree.

DENGAR YOU MUMMY gently caress

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

fixed that for you.

:golfclap:

Superior word choice, sir, thank you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

For real though, still nervous over the idea of bringing back the old cast. There are so many ways this could gently caress up and just feel like shoe horned in cameos, resulting in a real weak movie for the fans, but a movie that makes 3 billion dollars either way.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I said come in! posted:

For real though, still nervous over the idea of bringing back the old cast. There are so many ways this could gently caress up and just feel like shoe horned in cameos, resulting in a real weak movie for the fans, but a movie that makes 3 billion dollars either way.

They may be sidestepping that issue with the teaser, which has been reported by multiple, vetted spoiler hounds as only featuring Ridley and Boyega's characters.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In order to be canonical, they need an incredibly bad trailer that opens with voiceover:

"Somewhere in space, this could all be happening now."

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I was eight and PM was about to be released. I'd spend days scouring the web for hints and leaks. Now, I'm twenty five and doing the exact same thing. Well, instead of days it's more like minutes.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It's Friday on the east coast. :f5:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Mahoning posted:

It's Friday on the east coast. :f5:

I've resigned myself to it launching at 12:01 PST and am just going to go to bed in defeat.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Were they specific in launching it online in the wee hours of Friday morning or are they releasing it after the first theater in the country shows the trailer for the first time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

They weren't specific at all. They've just said "Friday."

• Locked thread