Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Beef Waifu posted:

I wouldn't. A creator has a right to stake his claim about what his story and game that he made is about without a bunch of loving idiots acting like they know better than him about the thing they wrote because they have some different theory. You're welcome to your own interpretation, but authorial intent does matter no matter how much you don't like what it actually is. It's one thing to come to your own interpretation about something, it's another to ignore something the creator says because you don't like it and want to preserve your image of something.

No he doesn't, you goon. Do you seriously think creators have gotten everything they've wanted in their stuff and everything they've wanted to get across in just that game? The answer is no. It's part of the reason why applying postmodernism to video games is the dumbest bullshit because on top of games not really having interesting stories for the most part, games go through a rigorous process of development and have to have multiple people trying to weave a story within the gameplay. Not everything they want makes it in and it can be forgiven if they didn't get something across clearly and they want to clarify it in an interview.

But I have to apply Postmodernism to MGS2 because that was a pretty big part of the game.

But seriously, what does Postmodernism have to do with what was being discussed? I'm honestly confused here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

gay fanfic of several beloved final fantasy games, by Kamiya
im applying postmodernism to this post

ln206
Sep 29, 2014
awesome post

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

This is why Death of the Author is good.

NikkolasKing posted:

But I have to apply Postmodernism to MGS2 because that was a pretty big part of the game.

So was cutting tons of content because of time constraints and tragedies happening around that time. MGS2 is one of the most disliked MGS stories and you're talking to someone who enjoys MGS2's story for how silly it ended up being.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

Also ImpAtom, I bought Evil Within for like 16 bucks, is that a good price?

It's about what I'd pay for it but YMMV.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
It's been like 10 years since I last played FF6, what's the definitive best version now? Or is SNES still top?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The GBA Version's the best version translation and performance-wise, but good luck getting a copy. I think the IOS version performs well and has the same translation, but it looks bad. Otherwise, yeah the SNES version is your best bet since the PSX version has dumb load times.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Look Sharp! posted:

It's been like 10 years since I last played FF6, what's the definitive best version now? Or is SNES still top?

GBA version fixes some of the major bugs but also has a new translation that lacks some of the Woosleyisms (up to you if that's a plus or a minus) and has worse sound quality.

It's either SNES or GBA.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Literally the only reason they sell those Ultimania guides is because gamers are hapless cash cows who'll buy anything with a brand logo stamped on it, like every other medium in the world has done fine without the director/author/etc going 'guys guys, that's not actually what just happened in the film you watched, this is!'

Beef Waifu posted:

No he doesn't, you goon. Do you seriously think creators have gotten everything they've wanted in their stuff and everything they've wanted to get across in just that game? The answer is no. It's part of the reason why applying postmodernism to video games is the dumbest bullshit because on top of games not really having interesting stories for the most part, games go through a rigorous process of development and have to have multiple people trying to weave a story within the gameplay. Not everything they want makes it in and it can be forgiven if they didn't get something across clearly and they want to clarify it in an interview.

Final Fantasy VII had a pretty interesting story and to me Jenvoa being subsumed by Sephiroth made alot more sense to me than vis versa, I literally couldn't give a poo poo if that japanese goon was right or not about 'canonically' Jenova subsuming Sephiroth, the first scenario works really well for Sephiroth's character and creates a much better conflict between him and Cloud and nothing in the game conflicts that. What a developer has to say several years after I played the game has zero bearing on my experience of it and changing my opinion because the facts retroactively changed would be loving stupid

Endorph posted:

Okay I'll let you have that one

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Final Fantasy VII had a pretty interesting story and to me Jenvoa being subsumed by Sephiroth made alot more sense to me than vis versa,

Nah not really. Inhuman abomination from beyond the stars taking the form of well known and feared super soldier makes a lot more sense then one guy who was only sort of strong (Seriously you out class him by the end of Disc 1 if you're not brain dead) takes over for space parasite in being cosmic horror.

Jenova being the one in control makes sense seeing as she's been locked away forever and probably wants revenge on this poo poo hole back water world that did this to her. The interesting conflicts in FF7 aren't between Cloud and the actual sephiroth, its between Cloud, Himself, and these idealized version of Himself, Zack and Sephiroth he's created in his head. It's why Jenova's version of Sephiroth does all this crazy poo poo that Sephiroth prime was never shown to be able to do, because she's playing on everyone's expectations of Sephiroth the Myth. She's a space parasite whose whole gimmick was disguise, infiltration, and brainwashing. That's why she was such a big threat to the Cetra/Ancients. It's why Sephiroth, before eating it because he was just some dude hopped up on super soldier serum, thought she WAS an Ancient.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 30, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

...like every other medium in the world has done fine without the director/author/etc going 'guys guys, that's not actually what just happened in the film you watched, this is!'

There's quite a few directors/authors like that though?

As for the ultimanaias, sometimes it's just interesting to see what the original developer intentions were, like Beef Waifu's saying, versus what constraints they were under trying to put that in the game. Or in removing it, as the case may be.

I wish Kamiya wrote ultimanaias:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah not really. Inhuman abomination from beyond the stars taking the form of well known and feared super soldier makes a lot more sense then one guy who was only sort of strong (Seriously you out class him by the end of Disc 1 if you're not brain dead) takes over for space parasite in being cosmic horror.

Jenova being the one in control makes sense seeing as she's been locked away forever and probably wants revenge on this poo poo hole back water world that did this to her. The interesting conflicts in FF7 aren't between Cloud and the actual sephiroth, its between Cloud, Himself, and these idealized version of Himself, Zack and Sephiroth he's created in his head. It's why Jenova's version of Sephiroth does all this crazy poo poo that Sephiroth prime was never shown to be able to do, because she's playing on everyone's expectations of Sephiroth the Myth. She's a space parasite whose whole gimmick was disguise, infiltration, and brainwashing.

And that's a well articulated point made using the text without relying on external 'verification' by the author, which is basically of what I'm saying people should do. Doesn't explain why Sephiroth remains the final boss even when all the curtains come down and Cloud kills him for reals mano et mano but it probably works better overall for the story.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Doesn't explain why Sephiroth remains the final boss even when all the curtains come down and Cloud kills him for reals mano et mano but it probably works better overall for the story.

Except that's an obviously idealized version of Cloud and Sephiroth (The finer detail, the fact that Cloud has Omnislash regardless if you got it or not.) It's Cloud overcoming Sephiroth, for realsies, which his entire character goal throughout the entire game, though the reason behind this changes as Cloud grows. It's Cloud saying "I'm over all of this, and I'm better than you."

Aaaaaand then Advent Children happened and ruined all this, but that poo poo ain't canon.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 30, 2014

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Except that's an obviously idealized version of Cloud and Sephiroth (The finer detail, the fact that Cloud has Omnislash regardless if you got it or not.) It's Cloud overcoming Sephiroth, for realsies, which his entire character goal throughout the entire game, though the reason behind this changes as Cloud grows.

As someone who didn't have omnislash, it was loving cool to see the Ultimate Move during the last scene and thought it was intentional that cloud didn't have a final limit break till then

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hahaha holy poo poo are you people actually trying to pull literature into your children's electronic toys?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yes

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

As someone who didn't have omnislash, it was loving cool to see the Ultimate Move during the last scene and thought it was intentional that cloud didn't have a final limit break till then

Intentional? Wasn't omnislash literally for sale at the battle arena?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Deuce posted:

Intentional? Wasn't omnislash literally for sale at the battle arena?

Yes it costs 42000 battle points. So if you never bother with it or I guess get some lovely slot rolls you may never get it. Plus it doesn't tell you what Omnislash actually is.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gologle posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo are you people actually trying to pull literature into your children's electronic toys?

I don't have children. Theyre my electronic toys

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gologle posted:

Gologle posted:

The best parts of FFXIII were Sazh, Snow being a good hearted idiot (this was only a good thing around 25% of the time), and Serah's hotness. Like, holy poo poo. FFXIII-2 just amped it up. But I mean drat, I can almost understand hentai when I look at her.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I regret many, many things, and have apologized for most of them. I am an empty, awful man. Truly, something awful.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gologle posted:

I regret many, many things, and have apologized for most of them. I am an empty, awful man. Truly, something awful.

Well that's good of you. Now the healing can commence.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

what kind of a sicko doesn't understand hentai?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My problem with Sephiroth Controlling Jenova has always been that it weakens Sephiroth's character. I remember back when I first played FFVII, I was also new to the Internet and the wonders it offered in terms of being able to discuss what I liked with others. There were a lot of "sympathetic" views of Sephiroth because a good chunk of people believed he was the helpless pawn of Jenova. They saw him as misguided and all the rest of it. Why did they think this? Because this was his entire motivation for being a villain. I think Sephiroth's characterization was at its strongest in the Nibelheim flashback, and that's certainly the part most people seem to remember about him. In this, he rants and raves about "taking the Planet back" and basically making himself out to be an avenger for the wronged Cetra people.

Cut to the actual game, where rather than fighting for the Planet, he wants to drop a big rock on it. Where he suddenly says he is way better than the Cetra.

If we believe Jenova has destroyed his mind and is manipulating him, we can explain away this inconsistency as her simply making him think and say whatever. But in canon, the only explanation for this is that Sephiroth, while exposed to the Lifestream , learned all that crap he spouted to you in Nibelheim was bullshit. In which case he literally has no reason at all to be evil. He doesn't care about the Ancients, or his "mother", or any of it. He just wants to be a God now because...uh....

The only vaguely acceptable explanation for this I've ever read is one person likening Jenova to the One Ring in LOTR. There, it is said that even one who masters the Ring will still have themselves warped beyond recognition. And so, even if Sephiroth is the one in charge of Jenova, his exposure to her viral, alien mind has still eroded away enough of his old self that he's basically not even Sephiroth anymore.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 30, 2014

Noaloha
Dec 28, 2012
Is there a known, real world etymology of sorts for Esuna, or is it simply a made-up name?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Noaloha posted:

Is there a known, real world etymology of sorts for Esuna, or is it simply a made-up name?

It's actually a weird Japanese name thing. It's a combination of the first 'letters' for the Japanese words for Permanent, Status and Cure, plus the "a" used for stuff like Poisona or Cura.

You know how in FFX-2 they make the team's name YuRiPa? It's basically that.

There's actually another less commonly used spell called "Basuna" which is Battle Spell Cure. (i.e: Spells that wear off after battle.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 30, 2014

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Jenova being the one in control makes sense seeing as she's been locked away forever and probably wants revenge on this poo poo hole back water world that did this to her. The interesting conflicts in FF7 aren't between Cloud and the actual sephiroth, its between Cloud, Himself, and these idealized version of Himself, Zack and Sephiroth he's created in his head. It's why Jenova's version of Sephiroth does all this crazy poo poo that Sephiroth prime was never shown to be able to do, because she's playing on everyone's expectations of Sephiroth the Myth. She's a space parasite whose whole gimmick was disguise, infiltration, and brainwashing. That's why she was such a big threat to the Cetra/Ancients. It's why Sephiroth, before eating it because he was just some dude hopped up on super soldier serum, thought she WAS an Ancient.

drat it if you didn't write a really compelling and interesting take on the situation that I agree with.

And yeah, while authorial intent matters, an author coming down to say "well what I actually meant by this was..." is always a terrible idea if they want to maintain relevance. I like reading about the trials and tribulations of game development, which is why stories about why some side-story about aliens attacking Paris in level 4 getting cut can be interesting, but when developers start talking about intended symbolism and "what it really all means" in the stories they write, they need to step back, take a page from other artists, and let their audience do what they will with their material, especially with games which are an inherently more interactive form of media than books, movies, or TV.

One of my favorite responses of this type was Martin Scorsese answering some question from a fan about character motivations in a movie that were a little far-fetched and he smiled and said "I never considered that interpretation but I really like it." Basically the best way for someone to say "yeah that's not what I meant exactly but I like listening to people talk about my work and far be it from me than to tell them how to enjoy it."

edit: sp

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 30, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Literally the only reason they sell those Ultimania guides is because gamers are hapless cash cows who'll buy anything with a brand logo stamped on it, like every other medium in the world has done fine without the director/author/etc going 'guys guys, that's not actually what just happened in the film you watched, this is!'

I mean there's thousands of examples of this happening outside of games but a big one that actually made news headlines was JK Rowling turning around and saying Dumbledore was gay after 7 books that didn't even slightly hint at it. Academic debate about whether this should "count" or not still goes on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_the_Author

Also because it's the other book series currently in the collective consciousness - Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire just released an official 300 page history book written by the author. The series isn't done yet. I haven't read it but it does apparently reveal things that are not mentioned anywhere else.

Seriously man this stuff happens constantly. A lot of the time people complain about book adaptations into movies or TV changing things, but in many cases the author actually requests it because they had time to think on a plot point and regret what they wrote. Or look at Director's Cuts, where the Director is actually coming out and saying "The movie you spent money on is wrong. This is the version you should have spent money on". Bladerunner had a Director's Cut, then a "Final Cut" which was the REAL director's cut

Look at me posting this seriously in a FF thread

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my stance is you don't have to take it as law but it's still interesting to read and sometimes makes a lot of sense

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
I take the part where half the solar system exploded as canon in FFVII. :colbert: Why does it matter that's it's the same planet/solar system? People get way to literal with fiction sometimes.

Is it just me but does FFXV look just bland? None of it looks interesting in the sense of art direction. Possibly because it's very modern/contemporary and not fantastical enough.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 30, 2014

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
It can never be good because it's tainted with XIIIness.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Is it just me but does FFXV look just bland? None of it looks interesting in the sense of art direction. Possibly because it's very modern/contemporary and not fantastical enough.

I like what I've seen of the world but the main characters look kind of drab, I know they're going for a more 'realistic' look for them but that doesn't have to mean nothing but dark grey and black.
Also, I'm still fairly 'Eh' on the no female playable characters thing.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

With the Sephiroth vs Jenova in control debate, I always thought that by the time Sephiroth and Jenova werein the lifestream, they more or less merged into one being that was neither fully Sephiroth or Jenova but an amalgamation of them as one consciousness. Neither is controlling the other, they're now different aspects of the same being.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I see nothing wrong with "Some guy makes a bunch of space wives and sends out crystals all over the Final Fantasy universe to spy on people" being canon.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Facepalm Ranger posted:

There needs to be another open-world game with an area as interesting as The Forbidden Land in Shadow of the Colossus. Even with no regular enemies, it was still really fun to explore on horseback, finding lizards and fruit to improve yourself.

Might be tricky to navigate terrain like that in a car, though. Hopefully they let you drive up that huge arch in the trailer, even if there's no reward other than the view.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

That loving Sned posted:

There needs to be another open-world game with an area as interesting as The Forbidden Land in Shadow of the Colossus. Even with no regular enemies, it was still really fun to explore on horseback, finding lizards and fruit to improve yourself.

Might be tricky to navigate terrain like that in a car, though. Hopefully they let you drive up that huge arch in the trailer, even if there's no reward other than the view.

Thats one thing that made me laugh is that it's so idealised. The road is perfect, no pot holes etc despite large animals being everywhere and then to make it more "realistic", there's a power converter/breaker building by the side of the road.

And the car just looks like a mix between an open top Lincoln and a Buick. It's not this strange fantastical hover car or even has an interesting body design.

And the car's black, their clothes are black, they look like their a big branded boy band that decided to take a detour from their next gig cause the manager is so old and called Cid and is a meanie (Which if that's the story, I could live with).

Currently, the humanoid enemies are the most interesting looking thing.

Nothing will ever beat XII though, it was basically Final Fantasy: Star Wars Edition.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Beef Waifu posted:

The GBA Version's the best version translation and performance-wise, but good luck getting a copy. I think the IOS version performs well and has the same translation, but it looks bad. Otherwise, yeah the SNES version is your best bet since the PSX version has dumb load times.

Play the PSx version on a vita and have the best of both worlds

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Look Sharp! posted:

GBA version with fan patches that give it the SNES soundtrack.

NikkolasKing posted:

He doesn't care about the Ancients, or his "mother", or any of it. He just wants to be a God now because...uh....

Because Kefka did it in FF6 and it made him the Best Villain. Beat him? Well enjoy your hosed up (dying?) world that doesn't have magic in it now either. I'm sure it won't make survival against any remaining horrors that much harder. :colbert:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also because it's the other book series currently in the collective consciousness - Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire just released an official 300 page history book written by the author.

Much of A World of Ice and Fire was written by some fansite people and he edited/signed off on it because it gave him an excuse for why he isn't working on Winds of Winter.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Evil Fluffy posted:

Much of A World of Ice and Fire was written by some fansite people and he edited/signed off on it because it gave him an excuse for why he isn't working on Winds of Winter.

At this point it's just more money for the dude and I'm fairly certain they'll finish the TV series before he finishes the books. Or he'll die, whatever.

This kind of stuff feels a little exploitative and cheapens the original work but since it's all entertainment anyways, it doesn't really matter. poo poo like selling necklaces that characters wore on TV series and games is probably more exploitative though they do serve as a nice warning to others that a person's priorities are out-of-whack and approaching FF House levels of crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think there's a difference between buying a little trinket of something you really like and literally believing you are Sephiroth in real life.