Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My new 4SE arrived yesterday and it's so much better than the 114GT in every way. the focuser is steady, the mount is solid, the optics are better, and what I can see is so much better. I got to see the cloud bands on Jupiter last night for the first time. With the 114GT Jupiter was just a tiny, blurry white disc. And right now Jupiter is in the eastern sky which was well lit by the city of Boston. In January I'll be able to see Jupiter almost straight overhead at a reasonable time of night so I'm really looking forward to that. I also saw the Andromeda Galaxy for the first time last night, and even though it was barely a smudge it was not visible at all with the old scope.

Next clear night I'm going to try out the wedge and try to get some interesting longish exposure photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
The optics on the little 4" Synta maksutovs (used on the NexStar 4 and the little Orion and SkyWatcher Maksutovs) are actually really impressive. I got to play around with the Orion version recently and was gobsmacked by how well it star tested and how nice the images were.

Congrats on the CPC11. That is definitely a beast to manage, but you'll get fantastic views. You'll love it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Coxswain Balls posted:

oh god what have we done

I blame slidebite for making me look at Kijiji. Got it from a dude who's moving to a really light polluted place in the states. I don't think it was a killer deal ($1.9k Canadian with an eyepiece and filter kit, a DSLR adapter and one of those webcam dealies for planetary photography), but the cheapest I've ever seen in our city, and I doubt something like this will come again any time soon.

:cool:

Yes, I am in enabler.

Bravo, I still haven't committed to anything at this point myself. Both are still on Kijiji here too.

What is yours exactly?

e: Nevermind, just read ^^

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 21, 2014

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Coxswain Balls posted:

It's a beast to carry

Can I ask how much it weighs?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The OTA+fork is 65lbs, and the tripod is 30lbs. The fork has a cabinet handle on the right side, and another handle molded into the base of the left side, which forces you to carry it properly. All of the reviews I've read about the CPC1100 talk about how its ergonomics make it really easy to set up compared to other telescopes of the same size, which is a huge plus for us since we do a fair bit of outreach.

If the CPC1100 is supposed to be the easy one to transport and set up, I can see why experienced astronomers might dissuade people from getting huge aperture telescopes unless they absolutely know that they're into astronomy for the long haul.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

This is just too loving cool not to share with the rest of you nerds.

On Wednesday, Phil Plait posted the following on Twitter:

The rod had been found in a drawer and had been left in his house by the prior occupant. After people had been guessing for a couple of hours, I actually managed to correctly identify the object as a miniature pool cue from a desktop billiards set and track down the exact set it came from. As a reward, the Bad Astronomer himself sent me a prize in the mail.

A METEORITE!!!!

A letter also accompanied the meteorite, explaining its history (it's a Sikhote-Alin fragment). That man sure has a way with words! Thumbnailed so it doesn't break tables, but very much worth reading.

And a close-up of the piece itself:

Phil Plait has been one of my heroes since long before the Bad Astronomy blog was ever a thing, back when he wrote pseudoscience-tackling articles in Astronomy Magazine in the late nineties. To say I'll treasure this is a gigantic loving understatement!

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 23, 2014

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Oh man, I'm super jealous. Phil Plait is my role model. That's awesome! I want a meteorite someday. :3:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

That's pretty awesome! We've got a whole bunch of meteorite hunters/collectors in the local RASC, and since they love to make donations for prizes, raffles and the like, we're seemingly swimming in them. The astronomy students flip out over them when they're brought into the classroom, and they make nice gifts for the ones who are really excited about astronomy. One dude has a massive chunk of the Campo del Cielo meteorite that he trucks around to events and the like; it's about the size of a watermelon and has to weigh at least a hundred pounds.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

That's a pretty sweet prize. I've got a small meteorite collection, but the geologist in me is kind of bored by nickel-iron meteorites. I've got 5 meteorites from separate falls, my prize piece being a polished thumbnail-sized slice of pallasite.

I've got another cut piece about the size of a fist, with veins of melted material and little chondrites scattered all over. I managed to get it for only $50.

What I'm saying is meteorites are awesome.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Indeed, they are.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

AstroZamboni posted:

The rod had been found in a drawer and had been left in his house by the prior occupant. After people had been guessing for a couple of hours, I actually managed to correctly identify the object as a miniature pool cue from a desktop billiards set and track down the exact set it came from. As a reward, the Bad Astronomer himself sent me a prize in the mail.
:3: That's really cool and sweet and nice :3: :3:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Bloke at work approached me in the lab and said "youre interested in telescopes right?"

I'm now the proud owner of a Skywatcher Explorer 130 with EQ2 mount "And accessories and box" for the princely sum of $100AUD.

He moved house into a valley and his kids lost interest.

What a nice surprise for a monday.

Edit: poo poo, its not a 130P. Its something else with Explorer on the side. Looks old too. Still in good condition.

:/

it's a  Sky-Watcher N 114/1000

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 25, 2014

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Martytoof posted:

Man I've been all sorts of interested in radio astronomy lately and I can't really explain why. I'm probably not going to do anything serious, but it looks like there are lots of things you can do to have some fun observing the sun and satellites and things like that. Part of me wants to build a stationary rig but there's no chance I'm waiting ten years to compile an image.

Anyone mess around with anything like this? I'm going through the SARA group mail archives and just being all :allears: in the most nerdy way possible.

I built a radio telescope in high school! It was very cheap and easy (could be done in an afternoon), although I don't remember what gain we achieved.

Like 10 years ago, we found an online calculator for the helix wire geometry. That was pretty Old Internet though- it looks like it's fallen off the first page of google.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Had my first encounter with a working telescope today (:smith: given that I have done astronomy-focused bachelor degree in physics).

:woop:

Now I need to figure out what tools I can use on my home computer to export colour image (raw) of M82 my group made today in MaxIm DL 6 Pro into some computer/phone friendly format.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Someone I met at NEAF made a ghetto radio telescope with a TV satellite dish and some electronics to shift the signal to an audible tone. Could pick up the sun and a few geostationary sats. Burnt through 9 volts, though :v:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

The skies cleared up and I assembled my new scope.

Again, its not what i thought. It definately is a SkyWatcher SkyHawk 114/1000 but it also seems to have an EQ2 mount, or similar. It has the parts to be motorised.

Can anyone identify this mount?

Its a bit flimsy with the aluminium legs, and i need to balance it with the counterweight, the manuals ive found for it dont quite explain how to operate a german equatorial mount, just how to assemble it. Trying to aim it i kept bumping the scope into the RA dial.

Anyway, the optics are pretty clean, heres an afocal of the moon using the 25mm lens.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I dug out my old 10" dob for the first time in years. I've kept it wrapped in plastic in its shipping box, but i noticed when I took the covers off and looked it over, there appears to be some water marks on the secondary mirror. Must be from observing in cool nights years ago. Luckily, the primary seems fine.

How should I clean the secondary? Obviously I'll want to tilt it full forward so nothing goes down to the tube to the primary, but I am more than a little leery of doing it. :ohdear:

I tried to take a photo of the spots but it didn't turn out, so here is a crappy photo of the scope instead.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

slidebite posted:

How should I clean the secondary? Obviously I'll want to tilt it full forward so nothing goes down to the tube to the primary, but I am more than a little leery of doing it. :ohdear:

You should be fine cleaning it with a little bit of distilled water and a microfiber cloth.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Venusian Weasel posted:

You should be fine cleaning it with a little bit of distilled water and a microfiber cloth.

OK, can do but would something like Zeiss eyeglass cleaner (that stuff in a small spray bottle) be permissible instead of distilled water?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Eyeglass cleaner is typically safe for AR coatings, but I'm not sure how it would behave on an aluminized surface. I use distilled water with a little bit of isopropyl alcohol, myself.

Also, the safest way to clean the secondary is to remove the spider from the tube. Just be sure to make sure the secondary support is properly centered and the spider vanes are equalized when reinstalling.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I was able to get it clean with distilled water and the microfiber cloth thank you very much. I did however notice a single small spot on the primary mirror but I have no way to easily get at it. Any recommendations on how to get down there?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Undo the screws at the bottom of the tube and remove the mirror in its cell.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Something to note with telescope mirrors is that in general it's best to clean them as rarely as you can. A fine coating of dust won't hurt your seeing too badly, so I wouldn't worry about it. Remember that a primary mirror is a precision instrument, and cleaning it carelessly can do more harm than good. The general rule of thumb is "when in doubt, leave it alone".

If you absolutely need to clean your mirror, Google for some good guides online. S&T had an article several months ago about cleaning optics too, but I can't seem to find that particular issue right now.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
My next door neighbor is a astronomy professor at the local college, from time to time run into him looking at stuff during the night/day. Today we checked out some solar flares, snagged this picture with a new mount he got for smart phones.

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 1, 2014

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

As a newb to Newtonian reflectors, should I try collimating my primary mirror myself, or take it to an expert?

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-resources/how-to-align-your-newtonian-reflector-telescope/

(assuming it needs it)

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Collimation is easy to do yourself, and with enough practice it becomes a 5-minute affair.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Collimating is a piece of piss if you have the right tools. I recommend practicing a couple of times in daylight (and getting into the habit of doing it at the start of each session, before the sun goes down).

It's also a job that needs to be done often enough that it's not really practical to take it to an expert every time.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
I did some skywatching a couple nights ago to get some more practice with alignment. Grabbed a shot of the moon while I was at it via eyepiece-projection to my Canon T3i:

It seems a little blurry. I definitely underexposed it at the time (brightened it up afterwards to what you see there) but I still think it was out of focus, even though I thought it was perfect when taking the shot. Any tips on focusing a camera more accurately?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Focus ahead of time using a bright star as a reference and with a Bhatinov mask mounted on the front of the scope.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

AstroZamboni posted:

Bhatinov mask

I had never even heard of this before. They seem to be exactly what I'm looking for, though. Thanks!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

For what its worth I did do a very cautious cleaning of my primary with a microfibre cloth and it seems to be fine. Didn't notice any scratches or anything after the fact. I also collminated it. Have yet to take it out since to see how much of a difference it made. Did notice one thing that I wasn't positive about, there were 6 knobs on the bottom of the primary, 3 were larger than the others with "springs" around their threads. I assume those are the ones a person should use for adjusting?

In other news, a guy locally is selling a brand new, still in box Meade LS 8 ACF for about 1/3 price of retail.. not sure if it "fell off the back of a truck" or what. What's the thoughts on those scopes?

While it's not as big as the 10", the portability of it appeals to me a bit and from what I've read the mount is actually usable for some astrophotography. Thoughts?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

The spring loaded screws were indeed the adjustment screws. The other three are the lock screws.

As for astrophotography with the LS8, I would only recommend it for webcam based planetary imaging with video frame stacking software like Registax or Autostakkert. The mount just isn't robust enough for any kind of Long exposure work.

I would inspect the scope before buying to make sure it's in working order, but apart from that the LS8 is very decent as a portable goto SCT.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the reply.

I sent the seller an email and waiting to hear back from him.

e: Got a reply, obvious scam. Oh well.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 7, 2014

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Sigh...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

slidebite posted:

Thanks for the reply.

I sent the seller an email and waiting to hear back from him.

e: Got a reply, obvious scam. Oh well.

I'm curious, what's the scam?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
First time caller, long time listener.

I captured Jupiter and three of its moons (visible anyway) with a DSLR and I got pretty excited about that! It was pretty cloudy so I didn't have a lot of time to capture stuff and perfect the focus.

http://i.imgur.com/KkNunzO.jpg uncropped.

Canon EOS 1100D, ISO 1600, f/5,6, 250mm lens, 0,5 sec exposure, basic and flimsy alu tripod.

Now I'm really hankering for a ~400mm lens, but at the same time wondering if a decent telescope with motorized mount and camera mount wouldn't be better for my needs.

I guess what I'm asking is what you guys would recommend if I am mostly interested in astronomy photography. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money, so some options would be cool!

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

mng posted:

I guess what I'm asking is what you guys would recommend if I am mostly interested in astronomy photography. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money, so some options would be cool!

Nice!

The short answer is: depends on what you want to take pictures of. If you just want to take pictures of star-fields and nebulae, you'd be much better off either building your own barn-door tracking mount or, if you want you want to spend some money for more precision, something like iOptron's SkyTracker mount. They'll let you get decent pictures of stars, comets, and large nebulae just using your current gear. I'd say that's probably your cheapest option.

On the other hand, if you wanted to spring for a little more, I'd recommend finding a decent motorized telescope and a t-mount adapter for your camera. Then, over time, you can upgrade to more specialized equipment if you like using your telescope for photography. If not, you can always just sit back and enjoy the views through the eyepiece. I haven't seriously looked at telescopes in years, so I'll leave it to someone else to make recommendations if you're leaning towards a telescope.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

What do you all use as a power supply for your setups? I'm already DIYing the dew shield, heater controller and heater bands for the new telescope, so why the heck not. There's lots of plans like this out there, but using cigarette lighter ports seem kind of janky to me. Are XLR cords/connectors a good idea for a field battery, or is there a different connector standard I should be looking at for that?

This 72Ah AGM battery is probably what I'm going to go with for a battery. With all the dew heaters at full, including the mount it should draw around 5 amps. I don't think it's gonna be running at full power, but this is our first powered telescope, so I'm not sure what kind of power demands we should be bracing ourselves for. Something that would last a long weekend star party would be ideal; I'd be thankful to hear anyone's experience with that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

GutBomb posted:

I'm curious, what's the scam?

Sure

scammer posted:

deal, but unfortunately i will be 3 months in Quebec,i have the item here with me and would like to close the transaction through a convenience store(nowprepay).
The delivery will be next day and you will have the opportunity to try the item at the store or home.
The transaction will be cash on delivery, let me know if you're interested to use this service.
--
Jonas Alexandra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Yup. Freeze dried bullshit.