Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
As a reminder, they didn't try to capture Penguin to put him in Arkham- he refused to leave the Iceberg Lounge as they built the walls around him. This is why he's so well-equipped compared with the other gangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I vaguely remember a story arch from the mid 80's in that strange trapped and then became batman. I think it also ended with strange dieing as the bearded batman while saving Gotham.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think it's been discussed, but man the whole Riddler interrogation thing is kinda un-Batman and there's a lot of it in the latest video.

"OH GOD, DON'T HURT ME, I'LL TALK"

*gets orbital caved in anyway*

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
To be fair, those guys do run at him swinging first.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Fabricated posted:

I think it's been discussed, but man the whole Riddler interrogation thing is kinda un-Batman and there's a lot of it in the latest video.

"OH GOD, DON'T HURT ME, I'LL TALK"

*gets orbital caved in anyway*

It's not THAT unBatman of him. If he didn't hurt them, then their cohorts would suspect they'd snitched and probably do a lot worse.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Discendo Vox posted:

As a reminder, they didn't try to capture Penguin to put him in Arkham- he refused to leave the Iceberg Lounge as they built the walls around him. This is why he's so well-equipped compared with the other gangs.

This is also why he tells Strange he doesn't have to do these psychotherapy things. He really doesn't, he's not technically an inmate just... there.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Onmi posted:

This is also why he tells Strange he doesn't have to do these psychotherapy things. He really doesn't, he's not technically an inmate just... there.

I never listened to the audio logs for this one, so I always figured that the penguin was just another guy moved in from blackgate. The fact that he wasn't under arrest at the time and just stayed there of his own stubborn will is kind of interesting.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The thing you need to understand about Penguin is that he has a serious Napoleon complex that he tries to compensate for by collecting things.

Seeing as Arkham City's construction would've caused him to lose the Iceberg Lounge and Museum, he got pissed and wouldn't budge.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The thing you need to understand about Penguin is that he has a serious Napoleon complex that he tries to compensate for by collecting things.

Seeing as Arkham City's construction would've caused him to lose the Iceberg Lounge and Museum, he got pissed and wouldn't budge.

Yup, there's one comic about how he's generally just being a good guy, going on a date with a woman, and he thinks a guy slighted him. So he destroys his life entirely, then he looks back on it and is like "Wait, maybe that wasn't aimed at me or I misread the situation... Eh."

Penguin isn't... well he is crazy, but he's not Arkham crazy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I want to read that. You wouldn't happen to remember that comic, would you?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I want to read that. You wouldn't happen to remember that comic, would you?

Penguin: Pain and Prejudice what happens exactly is the dude bumps into him and calls him a Fatass then realized "Oh poo poo I just called the Penguin a fatass" and apologizes. So Penguin destroys his life.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Also Joker's Asylum where Penguin catches the chef laughing, as seen here. Quick reading gave me the impression this predates and is even pettier than Fatass.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

Penguin: Pain and Prejudice what happens exactly is the dude bumps into him and calls him a Fatass then realized "Oh poo poo I just called the Penguin a fatass" and apologizes. So Penguin destroys his life.

That sounds hilarious. :allears:

GuyUpNorth posted:

Also Joker's Asylum where Penguin catches the chef laughing, as seen here. Quick reading gave me the impression this predates and is even pettier than Fatass.

This is not as funny as I thought it would be. :stare:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 30, 2014

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

GuyUpNorth posted:

Someone should tell the penguin his eyes were replaced with black bowling balls

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Onmi posted:

Wasn't there an animated series episode where someone road rages at the joker and is met with equal dickery? It's amazing people still choose to live in Gotham with all the thin skinned supervillians running around.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

Wasn't there an animated series episode where someone road rages at the joker and is met with equal dickery? It's amazing people still choose to live in Gotham with all the thin skinned supervillians running around.

That one was actually way better. Joker tells the guy he's gonna owe Joker a favor one day and he better not try to leave town, so the guy freaks out living in fear, and Joker never does a thing to him. Eventually Joker calls in the favor and it's... to hold a door for him. Because look at the size of that cake, man!

The dude loses it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BZbbG0XGhQ

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TwoPair posted:

That one was actually way better. Joker tells the guy he's gonna owe Joker a favor one day and he better not try to leave town, so the guy freaks out living in fear, and Joker never does a thing to him. Eventually Joker calls in the favor and it's... to hold a door for him. Because look at the size of that cake, man!

The dude loses it.

This is probably the best thing I've ever seen the Joker in.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Penguin is greatly underestimated because he's not crazy, because he's a fat guy with an umbrella blah blah. Penguin is terrifying because he's legally recognized as sane. BECAUSE in the past he's done things like hire out-of-work criminals for legitimate jobs because they can't find work elsewhere. Because when you cut down to it, he could be a decent, upstanding person. He could find love and people who would love him back.

But he gets in the way of his own happiness. Just like Batman tying it back in to how they're reflections of one another. Penguin could go completely legitimate, help people, and still be earning millions with a family. His own ego and problems refuse to let him move on, because someone will laugh in his direction, and he's self-concious about his physical deformaties, or because he was endlessly abused as a child physically, mentally, sexually etc. he refuses to suffer any abuse 'now'

He can, and HAS gone legitmate, he even urged Riddler to stay legitimate because it was way more profitable than crime. The fact is he can't let it go.

TwoPair posted:

The dude loses it.

That and this part from beyond are always wonderful for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LikMS5gDDI

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TwoPair posted:

The dude loses it.

To be a bit more detailed, that guy skips town, but Joker manages to keep tabs on him even after he gets an identity change and summons him back to Gotham. His plan is to have him hold open a door, but Joker attached a solution to the doorknob that caused that guy to get stuck.

The cake was for some celebration of Commissioner Gordon's and had a bomb in it, you see?

Ultimately, Batman saves everyone and that guy gets free and grabs the bomb, which leads to the second video.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Onmi posted:

That and this part from beyond are always wonderful for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LikMS5gDDI

Batman Beyond doesn't get nearly enough respect. And Return of the Joker was a great capstone to the series because of scenes like that. And this

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I really love the beyond joker, he's just a level above crazy than the others imo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nalesh posted:

I really love the beyond joker, he's just a level above crazy than the others imo.

The best thing about Beyond Joker isn't even a part of the movie, per se.

See, Joker takes over Tim Drake's body.

Now flash forward to today where Troy Baker, the voice of Tim Drake in the Arkham series, also is now the official voice of the Joker. :allears:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

Someone should tell the penguin his eyes were replaced with black bowling balls

Someone needs to check on you in a couple of months to make sure your entire life and everything you love has not been obliterated.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
The best part about these LPs is that people start posting their favorite Batman poo poo and inevitably TAS is posted and it's like "gently caress to the yes, this WAS the best Superhero cartoon ever."

A pity we're done with Arkham Asylum, though, because A Serious House on a Serious Earth is the perfect send-up/satire of Frank Miller and the Grimdark Batman in general.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I have to admit, the only version of Batman I like as much as the TAS version is the one in "Batman: The Brave And The Bold" That show is just the right mix of cheerful and intentionally stupid that it's a nice palate cleanser after all those grimdark Batmen we're being spammed with lately. And, as a bonus, the show incessantly mocks hardcore Batman fanboys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFBW3tFmkig&t=5s
:allears:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

my dad posted:

hardcore Batman fanboys

Excuse me, we're called Bat-fans, thank you very much.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LoonShia posted:

Fan-arangs?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

The bromance between Batman and Joker will never not be wonderful and hilarious. :allears:

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

LoonShia posted:

I like Dark Knights, but that sounds kinda :goonsay:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

my dad posted:

I have to admit, the only version of Batman I like as much as the TAS version is the one in "Batman: The Brave And The Bold" That show is just the right mix of cheerful and intentionally stupid that it's a nice palate cleanser after all those grimdark Batmen we're being spammed with lately. And, as a bonus, the show incessantly mocks hardcore Batman fanboys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFBW3tFmkig&t=5s
:allears:

That show was great: the highlight was the episode where Superman turns evil because of red kryptonite, and the whole thing is basically making an episode out of covers from that old "superdickery" website.

Also, this. And the musical numbers.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 1, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Did you know that Kevin Conroy can sing?

Did you know he can sing well?

WendyO
Dec 2, 2007
Maybe I just like westerns, but this was always my favorite.

http://youtu.be/1819yLFaAZ8

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

As a small note, Aaron Cash's picture in that riddle is different from the one in Arkham Asylum.

He has a newborn baby now. :3:

Additionally, now that we've gotten to Penguin's third interview tape, we can see that Hugo Strange did indeed get Penguin high grade weapons.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 1, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

WendyO posted:

Maybe I just like westerns, but this was always my favorite.

http://youtu.be/1819yLFaAZ8
Sorry Bats, the guy with the guntar is my new hero. For someone like me who has basically no idea of the whole combic book culture, it's amazing to see the degree of silliness present.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 1, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Sorry Bats, the guy with the guntar is my new hero. For someone like me who has basically no idea of the whole combic book culture, it's amazing to see the degree of silliness present.

His name is Vigilante. Greg Saunders, his power is he has Guns, gently caress you. Unfortunatly he's never had such a ridiculous gun in the comic, but that's what Brave and the Bold was for.

Though the line in the song "Someones gotta stand up to all this sin" reminds me of I think during... Final Crisis? They do the whole monologue thing as Batmans about to 'Die' about why he did what he did, why when he was confronted with the ultimate evil did he still fight? "I thought I could take him."

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
All this brave and the bold talk and nobody even mentions the Song Meister.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Iretep posted:

All this brave and the bold talk and nobody even mentions the Song Meister.

I believe you will find that he is the Music Meister, and we are all his pawns.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kurieg posted:

I believe you will find that he is the Music Meister, and we are all his pawns.

The Music Meister was my first introduction to the Brave and the Bold. There is absolutely no way I could fail to love it, after that.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Onmi posted:

His name is Vigilante. Greg Saunders, his power is he has Guns, gently caress you. Unfortunatly he's never had such a ridiculous gun in the comic, but that's what Brave and the Bold was for.

Though the line in the song "Someones gotta stand up to all this sin" reminds me of I think during... Final Crisis? They do the whole monologue thing as Batmans about to 'Die' about why he did what he did, why when he was confronted with the ultimate evil did he still fight? "I thought I could take him."

Batman's "death" in Final Crisis and the subsequent Batman RIP is loving amazing awesome and stupendous, completely bonkers and obtuse and I loved every bit of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Batman's "death" in Final Crisis and the subsequent Batman RIP is loving amazing awesome and stupendous, completely bonkers and obtuse and I loved every bit of it.
It really is. Morrison picks back up on the "Joker continuously reinvents his personality" from the "Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Serious Earth" one-shot. After "Batman" shoots him in the face, the Joker turns into David Bowie "The thin white duke of death". I especially like this part from Batman R.I.P. just before Final Crisis.

The part about building boxes around his foes is apt, since Batman just got out of a straitjacket while inside a coffin and bench pressed the coffin lid up through the earth. I only wish it could have been drawn by someone other than Tony S Daniel. His visuals are okay but bland, but his storytelling is bad.

• Locked thread