Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SKY COQ posted:

I'd put money on Super Dino Charge in 2016 with a heavy focus on the four extra Rangers.

Would probably be more focus than they got in Kyoryuger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Poison Mushroom posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if they try to milk the dinosaurs thing for two seasons, though I hope they don't.

My biggest concern is actually Kyoryuger related. Unless they make a Carnival suit for everyone (which seems really unlikely, even if it's just for the main five), we're almost certainly looking at another "Red Ranger and his sidekicks" season which has never, ever been done well.
Dino Thunder was great :colbert:

They should have had the Reds gather in their powered up forms in Kyoryuger vs Go-Busters.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In DT they all got super dino mode though. He sure got the battlizer and the Triassic thing, but apart from those power ups was not really all that stand out.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Cernunnos posted:

They're still on Nick aren't they? This'll definitely be split into 2 seasons and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Nick is practically the only place to go. Alternatives are Cartoon Network (don't do live action anymore), Disney (already tried it), HUB/Discovery Family (Working deal with Hasbro). Saturday morning cartoons are dead so there is no chance of it being on network TV. Unless Nick changes their business plan, Power Rangers is stuck in the split season format.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Liar Lyre posted:

Nick is practically the only place to go. Alternatives are Cartoon Network (don't do live action anymore), Disney (already tried it), HUB/Discovery Family (Working deal with Hasbro). Saturday morning cartoons are dead so there is no chance of it being on network TV. Unless Nick changes their business plan, Power Rangers is stuck in the split season format.

Netflix? It probably interferes with the toy sales plan, but what about uploading a few episodes each month?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Netflix is not going to get even a fraction of the main demographic of Power Rangers, no matter how internet savvy kids are in theory supposed to be.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm pretty sure Power Rangers is only still a thing at all because it's super cheap to produce and each season has a metric fuckton of new toys to sell. They're certainly not airing it because of the price its ad space gets.

And since Netflix has no share in whatever the toys sell at, it doesn't make sense for them to put up every season as it airs.

Though them grabbing the old ones on the cheap for a few nostalgia dollars doesn't surprise me.

VVVV Well, don't I look like a dumbshit?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 28, 2014

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They do put up every season as it airs. Netflix already has Super Megaforce.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Having 21 seasons on Netflix for whenever I wanna watch is one of the reasons I have Netflix at all.

Edit: I lovw hoe even in the THEME SONGS, Dino Charge has way more tangible effort than Super Megaforce.

Solaris Knight fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 29, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Wanna hear me sing really poorly? We've got a challenge running on the Podcasters with Attitude Facebook page. We get some likes, I'll sing the Dino Charge theme for the Internet!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Wanna hear me sing really poorly? We've got a challenge running on the Podcasters with Attitude Facebook page. We get some likes, I'll sing the Dino Charge theme for the Internet!

If we *DON'T* I will be doing the singing.

Oh yes.

OH yes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh god. Time to create 10 dummy accounts.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
What do I do to get you guys to sing Surprise Drive?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Can there be a bonus reward where if you get enough likes you DONT sing?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

greatn posted:

Can there be a bonus reward where if you get enough likes you DONT sing?

Sure, we'll put that at the 500 Like threshold.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think I finally figured out exactly what feels just so off about the Super Megaforce finale; all of the legacy rangers they got back for the big cameo reunion? None of them do anything on-screen in the final battle. Yeah, they get their moments in the first half of the episode, but to introduce them all morphed up and then literally never show them again is just so lazy. Not even Tommy, who gets the most attention, is only shown in the opening charge. Then its all recycled Gokaiger footage with teams that didn't have a returning veteran showcased.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Found time to blitz through the final two episodes. And whilst I'm not the sort of fan who likes to make this kind of comparison, but in all I just can't help but think:

In Space did it better.

Its funny to think about it because, in a way, In Space had less to be outright celebratory about. The franchise hadn't gone on as long and, when it was being produced, it was in the mindset that the series might be cancelled, so they had drat well go all out. It has cameos from a tonne of past characters (largely villains because of the story and that's what they mostly had) that feel absolutely on the mark as what they would be doing, and was also the final conquest by a vast, galaxy(/universe) spanning force of evil upon the Earth, with overwhelming force and numbers. And somehow, Countdown to Destruction manages more with five rangers and a bunch of civilians, than Super Megaforce manages with over a hundred rangers. That felt defiant in the face of insurmountable odds, whilst this is just... because they can, and not in a good way.

(Spoiler tag not so much for actual spoilers, but because I made a stupid amount of :words: for a show about spandex clad martial artists beating up monsters in rubber suits.)

The main positives I'd have to say about : I like how they actually bothered to make a big deal out of Orion's story. In a way its what Gai's was at this point - 'This is what you get for messing with my planet' - but its his own flavour, based in his story arc, and I appreciate how it colours his dialogue, and really fits with the stock footage. Beyond that, the cast got surprisingly... emotional, at points. In a way I wish they'd gotten more of from the outset. The final scene proper, after all the other rangers have left, feels like it would have been a perfect capstone on a better series and finale. It's... one of the more understated endings to a series - the rangers just express relief at the whole adventure finally being over, and lie there a bit. Okay, sure, they get up afterwards, but its just to go home, happy in the achievement. I don't feel like I need to know where they're going, in a good way, unlike some of the other final scenes.

The rest of it though... sadly disappointing, but in line with what was suspected for a while. Saban was willing to put for people standing in suits - not actually a full on fight sequence. The cameos aren't really all that involved, and outside of Lightspeed Rescue's, not really all that particular to the characters themselves. Its a random cadre with no real purpose or reason to it, and even Tommy is there just because the fanbase out of universe just eats that up. Mavro as a villain is underdeveloped, though at least he still gets the 'I can fight you without even standing up' bit. Its biggest misstep though, at least for anyone who's paid attention to its plot and progression, is what it tries to claim it is without really being it. Troy talks about how all the other rangers 'entrusted them' with the powers - no, those keys were sitting there from day one and spent half a season unused. Mavro talks about how he's defeated many foes and conquered hundreds of systems - the closest we get to seeing any of that was Orion's planet, which was more Vekar's doing anyway. The past rangers talk about the 'legacy' they left to the current team, and how they're the ones honoured to meet them. But this isn't the super special awesome team that the writers think it is - their accomplishment has been matched in the past, and I doubt it somehow warranted this mass alliance of power rangers to pull it off.

Worse still, none of the team, with maybe the exception of Orion, have particularly proven themselves determined or skilled in any way beyond the norm that makes them deserving of this treatment both in universe and out. Almost everything they've achieved, another power ranger has done similar. The inverse is not true though. The Lightspeed Rescue rangers exposed themselves to the vacuum of space to clear their morphers of monstrous spores. The Ninja Storm rangers took on dozens of full fledged monsters at once, not just an army of mooks. Even the Operation Overdrive rangers went out and tried to fight bad guys without their powers, only giving up (for an episode) because they were fundamentally proven incapable of stopping the bad guys without them. And of course, Andros killed loving Zordon because that was what it took to save the universe. The Megaforce rangers get their powers handed to them, on a platter, at the first excuse Sab- I mean, Gosei could find to fill out the toyline. And for a forty episode-ish series, the characters are woefully undeveloped to a point even Cameron Jebo has had to comment on it. I dunno if this all means the series had lofty ambitions it failed spectacularly to reach, or if it set its bar low as it could whilst trying to hide that fact, or if issues behind the scenes means it kinda went both ways.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In Sentai news, the Ninninger suits have finally been revealed:

Male Yellow, first White since Gekiranger(or Gaoranger if you're just talking about the primary team), first Pink in a ninja season, and the first time Pink and White have been part of the starting lineup since Changeman. Helmets seem a bit big but otherwise I kind of like these.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 2, 2014

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
They look pretty decent. Hopefully they'll go back to the Go Busters style of straight up slitting the throats of the mooks.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Poison Mushroom posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if they try to milk the dinosaurs thing for two seasons, though I hope they don't.

My biggest concern is actually Kyoryuger related. Unless they make a Carnival suit for everyone (which seems really unlikely, even if it's just for the main five), we're almost certainly looking at another "Red Ranger and his sidekicks" season which has never, ever been done well.

to be fair this was basically actually Kyoryuger anyway. I think the episodes that didn't involve King either solving the problem or acting like 'I could solve this problem but I'm not because I want someone else to have the spotlight' number like 4. And one of those was literally 'King's problem is that he's too awesome.'

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Daigo's flaw was being flawless :allears:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Did this ever get posted?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK6WmkPNlRU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

KI-YAHH :eyepop:

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

CM Punk is a 36 year old man who has multiple chronic injuries from a rigorous wrestling schedule he's followed for many years.

I can't imagine him actually having more then 1 fight despite the 'multi-year contract', if he even makes it to the first one because of how bad a shape his body is probably in.

So basically it's a perfect match.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
He challenged him to an MMA bout over a year ago, so this isn't some new development. He's just back on it because CM got signed (despite having no MMA experience to speak of).

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I hope CM Punk kicks his rear end.

I do not care if a UFC ring is involved.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Sockser posted:

I hope CM Punk kicks his rear end.

I do not care if a UFC ring is involved.

JDF is a:

Seventh-degree Black Belt in karate
Muay Thai Master Instructor
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu purple belt

CM Punk is a TV wrestler.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

SpazmasterX posted:

JDF is a:

Seventh-degree Black Belt in karate
Muay Thai Master Instructor
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu purple belt

CM Punk is a TV wrestler.

Also he kicked a trex in the face, without powers.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Light Gun Man posted:

Also he kicked a trex in the face, without powers.

correction: a robot T-Rex. Why did that happen again?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdLSv-Fz0O0

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Yes, they sure do call on the Power Sword every episode. :agreed:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yes, they sure do call on the Power Sword every episode. :agreed:

This sort of thing never happens these days. Nope.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

"They didn't put much effort or money into it"

lol

Some of those kids are trying TOOOO hard.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Linkara wasn't kidding. This is his look at Jungle Fury.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Welp, considering how the fanbase tends to jump on the bandwagon with these things, I expect a sudden surge of Jungle Fury appreciation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ninninger promo

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

and a second one too!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Visually this looks very much like a sequel to Shinkenger. Should be good, even though the mega zord looks stupid

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I'm sorry you are so limited that Ripley-Oh doesn't appeal to you. Perhaps, through struggle, you may one day possess... a soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Astro Nut posted:

Welp, considering how the fanbase tends to jump on the bandwagon with these things, I expect a sudden surge of Jungle Fury appreciation.

I was a Jungle Fury fan before it was cool. RJ 4 Lyfe. :colbert: