Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

:black101: :flaccid:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Just when you think the dick jokes have stopped, they show up unexpectedly, next to a bloody axe.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

... and the severed part sails off in an arc...

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I suppose this time of the decade is a little bit of a slow point for Dwarf Fortress, while everything catches up with the updates?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

texasmed posted:

I suppose this time of the decade is a little bit of a slow point for Dwarf Fortress, while everything catches up with the updates?

Yep. When the game gets updated on a weekly basis like this it's kind of pointless to keep starting new forts.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Arven posted:

Yep. When the game gets updated on a weekly basis like this it's kind of pointless to keep starting new forts.

You know you can just move the save folder to the new version, right?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

hepatizon posted:

You know you can just move the save folder to the new version, right?

This will definitely not cause any catastrophic issues at all, nope.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Transferring saves hasn't worked for like 20 versions.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
So the combat wounding means that you could simply armor everyone up with no leg protection and minimum torso protection and send them into the Danger Room and oh my God why is this even a thing now loving Dwarf Fortress.

Haven't updated yet myself, figure I'll wait until Toady's settled out most of the current crop of issues and such. Gelding and fruit-picking ladders just aren't quite enough to justify it for me yet, I'm afraid. I assume though that it's only a matter of time now until the ladder code allows for their use in sieges (about five years down the line)?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I generate new worlds all the time anyway, but I'm pretty sure save compatability has been preserved since like 40.04.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Every time I try to transfer saves from one version to another, the new version doesn't even recognize the old save as existing.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I just generated a pocket world in .04 and moved an in-progress game in it to .19 with no problems. Are you trying to move them from pre-.04 to post-.04?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Transferring saves hasn't worked for like 20 versions.

.03 was the last comp-break point. Every version since has been bending over backwards to insert the new behaviors and fixes into any old worlds that get loaded.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
No I try to move them from like one version ago to the most recent and the game doesn't even give me the option of trying to load from it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Are you doing it right.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
In fairness, I don't generally trust moving saves even between versions where it works. Maybe just my luck, something about my system, whatever, but it's always universally lead to worlds that are...bizarrely buggy and often crash-prone.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Kinda miffed i still cant chop down and use bamboo as wood

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I just had Fun via a werehedgehog attack which only killed one dude. It was great! While six of my dudes laid up in the hospital slowly not-dying, four others who fought the beast in the first place transformed in my dining room and killed just about everyone else. Then over the next few months my new expedition leader, the two hundred and thirty year old Presser with absolutely no valuable skills, proceeds to slowly but surely kill everyone else in werehedgehog form, racking up well over twenty kills...

...except for the insanely badass one hundred and forty-year old Bowyer with 18 children, who holds him off with a crossbow long enough for two whole migrant waves to arrive, then gets his head punched in as the other civilians dogpile the werehog.

On the side, is the extreme age of my werehog expedition leader due to him being a vampire/necromancer/etc, or just an oddity of the history system?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

ungulateman posted:

I just had Fun via a werehedgehog attack which only killed one dude. It was great! While six of my dudes laid up in the hospital slowly not-dying, four others who fought the beast in the first place transformed in my dining room and killed just about everyone else. Then over the next few months my new expedition leader, the two hundred and thirty year old Presser with absolutely no valuable skills, proceeds to slowly but surely kill everyone else in werehedgehog form, racking up well over twenty kills...

...except for the insanely badass one hundred and forty-year old Bowyer with 18 children, who holds him off with a crossbow long enough for two whole migrant waves to arrive, then gets his head punched in as the other civilians dogpile the werehog.

On the side, is the extreme age of my werehog expedition leader due to him being a vampire/necromancer/etc, or just an oddity of the history system?

Is this the guy?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Actually, yeah. I know bamboo is a "grass," but it's also a legit food, craft material, and construction material. I guess Toady slapped a ground cover tag on it and left it at that, but it's a bit disappointing. I want to have bamboo skewer pit traps around my fort.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Kenning posted:

Are you doing it right.

I've been dropping the save folder into the new version's data directory. Is there anything else I have to do other than that nowadays? I've never had to do anything other than that in the past.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I dropped my save folder from 40.15 into the directory for 40.16 and it loaded fine. I can't tell if the goblin and stress fixes in that version are actually working or not in the save but it loaded fine.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Regardless of save file compatibility I'm waiting for DFhack to be updated. I've made enough DF2014 forts without it :colbert:

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

My weaponsmith had a mood, but he wants yarn cloth and I don't have any animals I can shear. Anything I can do? If not it's kinda bullshit.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Infinite Monkeys posted:

My weaponsmith had a mood, but he wants yarn cloth and I don't have any animals I can shear. Anything I can do? If not it's kinda bullshit.

Hope he can last out 'til the next trader caravan arrives, kill 'em all, and make sure your hospital isn't set to gobble all of the cloth up.

Failing that, murder every large animal on the map, butchering an animal leaves their hair behind too.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
You can't make cloth out of any old animal hair, it has to be yarn specifically.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
It looks like dwarf therapist has been updated for 40.19, with the new stress system! I'm going off my email update from bay12, but if it's true gently caress yeah. I can live without dfhack if I have dwarf therapist!

edit: Now that I am back to my desktop: confirmed! The new release of DT supports all of the latest and greatest DF has to offer! Which also means (due to memory mappings shared between DT and dfhack) a DFhack for 40.19 should not be far behind! Now where's DF 40.20? :v:

necrotic fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 4, 2014

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

Dashticle posted:

Hope he can last out 'til the next trader caravan arrives, kill 'em all, and make sure your hospital isn't set to gobble all of the cloth up.

Failing that, murder every large animal on the map, butchering an animal leaves their hair behind too.
The elven caravan left literally seconds before the mood :sigh:. If I'd just killed them like I was planning to, I wouldn't have this problem, but I didn't finish my pump stack in time to flood the trade depot :(

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Infinite Monkeys posted:

The elven caravan left literally seconds before the mood :sigh:. If I'd just killed them like I was planning to, I wouldn't have this problem, but I didn't finish my pump stack in time to flood the trade depot :(

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Trapping them inside until the die of whatever would have been just as effective.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Stab them?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

that's your solution for everything

(okay so it works for most things)

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

I hope everyone can forgive me for neglecting the supposedly up to the latest OP for like four months and not really being up for it today either, take this exciting devlog as an apology:

Toady One posted:

I've started by playing around with the main job selection procedure. It'll take a bit to get it balanced out, but jobs-choosing-dwarves-independently is in the past. I have my little invisible help-wanted ads for them to look through now, followed by a little invisible pick-best-applicants procedure.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Maybe this would also bring back the economy portions of the game?

I kind of don't like having to assign individual labors and such, it would be nice to just have dwarves decide what they want to do.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I love how Toady just drops these little bombs. Like the time he said something like "added burrows to the game, because I needed them for something else"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

'added mild sentience to better help me implement fixes to the pathing'

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

I love how Toady just drops these little bombs. Like the time he said something like "added burrows to the game, because I needed them for something else"

His latest monthly recap was him going basically "well! [hands rubbing] this December is more like Jobselectember, now let's hope progress is quick" so it's not a total bomb, but that's still a pretty slick start.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

PhantomZero posted:

Maybe this would also bring back the economy portions of the game?

I kind of don't like having to assign individual labors and such, it would be nice to just have dwarves decide what they want to do.

We already tried this and we found out they want to attend parties all the time.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Are there any tilesets that have no letters in them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

None. Tileset makers haven't really grasped the TWBT paradigm yet.

e: unless you count illegible runes as "no letters"