Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Floodkiller posted:

I'm almost certain I've seen those rings before in meatsprint. I want to check to prove I'm not insane, but I can't differentiate my sprint morgues from my normal morgues; is there an easy way to look them up, or does it need to be searched by hand?

"!lg floodkiller sprint won -log makhleb" pulls up this one and this one, neither of which have rN or rPois.

Checking the commits, meatsprint only had rf/sinv rings when it was added, and I don't see any signs of them being added anywhere between then and now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

Keyboard isn't going away as long as online console is a thing (and online console is never going away).

I mean, promoting the version with the best interface is obviously a decision the devs could make. There are a lot of things that have changed in the past few versions that you wouldn't have thought would happen a few years ago.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I got my first demigod win. Overall the character was much stronger than I expected, but the experience still confirmed my opinion of demigods: I don't like them. The lack of religion is not what I especially dislike. It's the low aptitudes. I know people will say that -1 is the average aptitude and isn't that bad. It certainly is workable. But it is quite misleading to call it the average aptitude. Compare the average aptitude of the skills I actually trained of my previous win, a HESk, which was probably a little under +1 and would have been higher if I didn't decide to try out triple crossbows. The DGSk was pretty good, but I had to play much more carefully (which was actually fun) and the power level of the two characters was completely different throughout the entire game. Basically DGSk feels like HOSk but without a religion. The higher stats are counterbalanced by lower aptitudes. I think an HOSk of Ashenzari could out-cast and out-fight a DGSk any day. In short, -1 aptitudes are acceptable but in conjunction with lack of religion, Dg feels a good bit weaker and less versatile than most other species.

Because one big paragraph of complaining is not enough, I have a second thing to mention. Cigotuvi's embrace seems basically pointless. I thought it didn't decay over time, but since it does, it basically means that you only cast it after a fight, and by the time the next fight comes around, the bonus is already gone. Maybe that was because I was casting it at lowish power? Anyway, it seems strictly inferior to any of the other defensive buffs.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Demigods actually have a -2 to XP in addition to the -1 skill apts. this is why they level sooo slowly. All other races are plus 1, 0, or -1.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm pretty sure the advice here would be to go up again and come down another stairs, but there's an orc standing on it.

At least there's a cool artifact armour...oh wait

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
While, I don't quite buy the "-1 is the average apt" statement either, comparing it to HE might be a bit "not a great comparison" if only because HE are really good as a race outside of perhaps a bit of a rough start due to a -10% HP mod.

Though I'm not sure what an "average non-human" species would be.

So today I learned that even with a super +9 Chainmail artifact with tons of good resists, 2 Crystal Spears in a row by a DE Annihilator with lucky high rolls will still end your life quite fast.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Davzz posted:

So today I learned that even with a super +9 Chainmail artifact with tons of good resists, 2 Crystal Spears in a row by a DE Annihilator with lucky high rolls will still end your life quite fast.

A lot of people just flat say "don't do elf" for that reason. Even if it's fine 99% of the time, it lowers your chance of winning overall since you generally don't need the loot. It's a fun branch that I've never died in, but I've definitely had close calls on strong characters so I see where it comes from.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

BigFactory posted:

I mean, promoting the version with the best interface is obviously a decision the devs could make. There are a lot of things that have changed in the past few versions that you wouldn't have thought would happen a few years ago.
I agree, they should get rid of tiles mode.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

why would they get rid of the mode that shows the most info at a glance

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That's what we call a little dork humor around here, I think.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

"!lg floodkiller sprint won -log makhleb" pulls up this one and this one, neither of which have rN or rPois.

Checking the commits, meatsprint only had rf/sinv rings when it was added, and I don't see any signs of them being added anywhere between then and now.

Guess I'm just crazy.

FR: Add those two rings in place of one of the SInv/rF+ sets to make me correct.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
you are a drooling retard if you use anything else other than vikeys in 80x25 console mode with 16 colors

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Colors? Monochrome's the game around here. 50 shades of gray and you liked it.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Floodkiller posted:

Guess I'm just crazy.

FR: Add those two rings in place of one of the SInv/rF+ sets to make me correct.

Meatsprint is quite a weird one. rF+ is not even that important to have yet it's quite far out of the way. Stasis seems much more important due to how you can get slowed by fleshlords and it's pretty much guaranteed to happen, and your starting potion of haste usually doesn't last long enough.

Spoilered just in case, but meatsprint also features a "secret boss" that spawns after a while, but you get so badly overwhelmed just trying to kill the meatlord as it is. If you try to wait for the secret boss, The Unspeakable, you just get run over by viles. I wonder if anyone's even done this legit.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I thought that secret boss only spawned if you managed to get yourself to a certain tile. Never seen him myself, too busy trying to deal with viles. I think I still hold the top score on akrasiac for meatsprint. Hard to tell without going into IRC.

EDIT: Whoa now, looks like I've been utterly smashed in that sprint, time doesn't seem to coincide with the bug that prevented viles from spawning.

Kellhus the Axe Maniac (L27 VpEE of Makhleb), quit the game in Sprint (Sprint VIII: "Arena of Blood") on 2013-03-10 16:24:50, with 2147400000 points after 21474 turns and 0:25:50.

My effort is a mere...

Grimm the Axe Maniac (L27 KoEE of Makhleb), annihilated by a fleshlord (a +9,+9 great mace) in Sprint (Sprint VIII: "Arena of Blood") on 2014-01-21 15:35:13, with 341900000 points after 3419 turns and 0:12:14.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 2, 2014

apple
May 18, 2003

Never tried an EE before, what's the advantage? Passwall?

e: Maybe that guy dug himself in with LRD and waited for a very long time, it would explain him quitting the game since there's no way you're getting out of your killhole without alerting a bunch of viles. I think I got a formicid to dig deep enough such that viles wouldn't find me, but I also couldn't kill anything..

apple fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 2, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

apple posted:

Stone arrow and LRD are both pretty good. Sandblast is too. It's a cool starting book.

Oh you're talking about arena.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 2, 2014

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

My favorite thing about LRD is one-shotting Bone Dragons. Even better, when they have friends adjacent to them.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mr. Lobe posted:

My favorite thing about LRD is one-shotting Bone Dragons. Even better, when they have friends adjacent to them.

Instakills on skeletal creatures went away about a year ago.

Still a fun spell.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

apple posted:

e: Maybe that guy dug himself in with LRD and waited for a very long time, it would explain him quitting the game since there's no way you're getting out of your killhole without alerting a bunch of viles. I think I got a formicid to dig deep enough such that viles wouldn't find me, but I also couldn't kill anything..

And that's the advantage of EEs. If you can get yourself embedded in the walls, reducing your LOS to one tile, then it becomes much easier to manage the late spawning enemies. Of course, if viles know your position they'll start chewing through the walls to get at you and make your life hell. And there's the previous step of managing to memorize LRD first in the middle of the arena without getting interrupted. It's a bit tricky but putting it all together racks up the points since it's a turn-based scoring system. I missed the obvious use of Vp since they can survive without food and I've already more than doubled my score.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
FR: Pandemonium levels dedicated to the neutral gods
I want to invade the Lounge of Cheibribados

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Aww, jeepers. It's been that long since I messed with earth elementalists.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Man after a point you get nothing coming into your little cavern and you're just endlessly waiting for something to happen. Nearly was ended when two viles showed up with a meat berserker. The first found my position and the second blew out the wall; somewhere along the way they also confused me. Beat them down, rebuilt my hidey-hole to a better location and for the past 3000 turns nothing has come into view. I can see why Kellhus quit out of boredom.

The shouts are dying down and I imagine the arena is covered in viles.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Is it weird to think the skill title should be 'strangler' for an unarmed Op/Na?

It's weird, isn't it.

edit::byodood:

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 2, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
A pack of skeleton warriors on the same floor as the ecumenical temple seems pretty rough.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

amuayse posted:

FR: Pandemonium levels dedicated to the neutral gods
I want to invade the Lounge of Cheibribados

Seriously, it would be awesome if every god had their own Pan level that could show up.

Bring back unlimited Pan runes, btw

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Quite a while back, someone posted a fix for rcfile autopickups so that, say, centaurs wouldn't keep picking boots up, or whatever slot your species can't use. Anyone have that code handy, or in their rcfile?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Wolfechu posted:

Quite a while back, someone posted a fix for rcfile autopickups so that, say, centaurs wouldn't keep picking boots up, or whatever slot your species can't use. Anyone have that code handy, or in their rcfile?

Isn't that default behavior?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

taqueso posted:

Isn't that default behavior?

Yeah but there's also a neat little rc hack out there that autopickups the first armour you see of a type. Not sure how annoying that is for centaur boots.

Should Centaurs get two boot slots? Running+Assassin isn't overpowered.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Four years in the making
code:

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.16-a0-2920-g6aac557 (tiles) character file.

14872820 Bodega the Axe Maniac (level 27, 249/274 (298) HPs)
                 Began as a Deep Dwarf Gladiator on Dec 1, 2014.
                 Was a High Priest of Makhleb.
                 Escaped with the Orb
                 ... and 15 runes on Dec 2, 2014!

The game lasted 07:51:46 (106518 turns).

Bodega the Axe Maniac (Deep Dwarf Gladiator)      Turns: 106518, Time: 07:51:46

HP:   249/274 (298) AC: 49    Str: 25    XL:     27
    MP:   1/1           EV: 23    Int: 14    God:    Makhleb [*****.]
    Gold: 15182         SH:  0    Dex: 17    Spells: 1 memorised, 72 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis +     m - +9 executioner's axe (freeze)
    rCold  + + .     Clarity  .     I - +7 gold dragon armour of Soacsank {rPois rF+ rC+ Str+3}
    rNeg   + + .     SustAb   .     (no shield)
    rPois  +         Gourm    .     y - +1 helmet "Blitedej" {rC+}
    rElec  +         Spirit   .     d - +2 cloak {MR+}
    rCorr  .         Warding  .     D - +2 pair of gloves {Str+3}
    rMut   +         Stasis   .     p - +2 pair of boots {run}
    MR     +++++                    V - amulet "Huipp" {rMut rPois Stlth+}
    Stlth  ..........               Q - ring of protection from fire
                                    j - ring of Folur {rElec rF+ rN+ Dex-2 SInv}

@: non-regenerating, quick, almost entirely resistant to hostile enchantments,
    extremely unstealthy
    A: damage resistance, recharge devices, low mp 1, negative energy resistance 1,
    sense surroundings 3, electricity resistance, slow healing 3, weak 1
    a: Device Recharging, Minor Destruction, Lesser Servant of Makhleb, Major
    Destruction, Greater Servant of Makhleb, Renounce Religion
    0: Orb of Zot
    }: 15/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian,
    icy, bone, abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark
Only part that gave me much trouble was stairdancing at the entrance to Tomb:3, wound up exhausting my entire MP pool there. Didn't cast a single spell, wound up getting spellcasting to 25 for the extra MP and for want of anything better to level.

Now I've spent 8 hours playing crawl in the last two days, so I think it's time to put this game down for a while. Next time I'll try to win with a caster.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

That's a good win, congrats!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

pathetic little tramp posted:

Should Centaurs get two boot slots? Running+Assassin isn't overpowered.

Thanks now I want double running on top of centaur speed. :colbert:

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Let's talk about that mutation that makes your wands cost MP.

I think it's about as ridiculous as Forlorn was when it was first introduced (when it slowed your piety gain to something like 16% as you approached the last star). For caster characters wands, especially emergency wands (teleport/healing), are what you use when you're low on or out of MP, and the very first level of the mutation makes wands cost six MP to use. I could understand if that was level 3 (2 MP at level 1, 4 at level 2, 6 at level 3?).

It feels like it used to be just frail and teleportitis that would seriously gently caress you up, but now there's placid magic and the wand mutation and the No Device Heal mutation and all kinds of other bad stuff, without too much really significant good stuff to compensate.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
You can plan around it, though -- use your wands earlier than you would have otherwise. Teleportitis and berserkitis you can't really have a plan for other than to mitigate it when it randomly occurs.

Frail and forlorn are just straight up punitive though. I don't really like those ones.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I support a paradigm shift in mutations towards lower-impact stuff where a potion of mutation will almost never ruin you, but also never make a character.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 3, 2014

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I think forlorn would be more fun if it made your piety costs higher rather than slowing down your piety gains. Effectively it's the same, but it feels much less lovely. That ends up having issues with gifting, though...

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Brannock posted:

You can plan around it, though -- use your wands earlier than you would have otherwise.
When you're down to using wands, you frequently have to use multiple charges (a few HW when you're low, might take a couple of teleports to be safe--or in the midgame multiple fire/cold/draining wand charges to take out enemies). 6 MP means that's right out of the question. It just seems ridiculously high. The No Device Heal mutation at least starts as 1/2 HP, but that's pretty punitive, too, and it hits you right when it matters most.

apple
May 18, 2003

LogicNinja posted:

I think it's about as ridiculous as Forlorn was when it was first introduced (when it slowed your piety gain to something like 16% as you approached the last star). For caster characters wands, especially emergency wands (teleport/healing), are what you use when you're low on or out of MP, and the very first level of the mutation makes wands cost six MP to use. I could understand if that was level 3 (2 MP at level 1, 4 at level 2, 6 at level 3?).

It feels like it used to be just frail and teleportitis that would seriously gently caress you up, but now there's placid magic and the wand mutation and the No Device Heal mutation and all kinds of other bad stuff, without too much really significant good stuff to compensate.

From a melee fightman perspective, if I'm sticking to mostly potions/scrolls and the occasional emergency wand these mutations are basically "saving" me from getting frail or teleportitis.

It sucks to be a mage that gets MP wands or placid mutations though, yeah. My DEFE's damage was crippled pretty badly by 2 levels of placid magic once. Maybe MP wand cost should be re-scaled? Something like the first level being some fraction of the equivalent spell's cost (rounded up), second level being the full cost of the spell, and third being 1.5x the cost of the spell.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
code:
 The 27-headed Lernaean hydra roars!
 You reflect the 27-headed Lernaean hydra with the mirror, and the mirror
 shatters!
 Your 27-headed Lernaean hydra bites the 27-headed Lernaean hydra! x2
 Your 27-headed Lernaean hydra bites the 27-headed Lernaean hydra. x2
 Your 27-headed Lernaean hydra bites the 27-headed Lernaean hydra! x3
 Your 27-headed Lernaean hydra bites the 27-headed Lernaean hydra.
 Your 27-headed Lernaean hydra bites the 27-headed Lernaean hydra!
 Your 27-headed Lernaean hydra bites the 27-headed Lernaean hydra!!
 Your 27-headed Lernaean hydra bites the 27-headed Lernaean hydra. x2
 Your 27-headed Lernaean hydra bites the 27-headed Lernaean hydra! x2
 The 27-headed Lernaean hydra dies!
That was easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

LogicNinja posted:

Oh hey, this is my mutation!

In a real emergency you can always quaff a potion of heal wounds or read a scroll of teleport. If the wand MP mutation is putting characters under MP pressure in non-emergency situations, it is working as intended. There are many combat alternatives for casters that aren't wands; even a deep elf has a +1 bow aptitude. (Remember it also makes your wands 17% more powerful!)

I can't imagine a character who would rather have frail than MP wands, so I think it's okay as is.

• Locked thread